Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Travel  > Solo trip to Hawaii islands???      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 skeith6520
Msg: 22
Solo trip to Hawaii islands???Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
So you think I should visit Kauai to hike? I LOVE hiking and exploring. I plan to do that on Oahu but wouldnt mind island hopping. What do you think? Also thanks for the post!
 paceñita
Msg: 23
Solo trip to Hawaii islands???
Posted: 10/5/2011 11:21:37 PM
I'll be going alone to Kauai and celebrate my BD. I plan to rent a car and drive all the way north and then complete the south. I've seen many hikes I want to do. To sleep I'll camp :)
 Spring_weather
Msg: 24
Posted: 10/30/2011 4:25:47 AM
I would have to become braver to travel to Hawaii by myself. I have always wanted to visit the location.. I need to win a lottery maybe!
 ktmeow
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 9/10/2012 10:09:23 AM
went to oahu last feb.. i would probably stay around north shore area next trip likely around november.. hoping vacation will be approve.. to be honest i prefer Maui.. i guess depends what it is u like to do. i stayed at Hana..lol with all the places Hana.. well peace and quiete really away from rat race!
 Wanderer1775
Msg: 26
Posted: 9/10/2012 2:21:03 PM
I flew first class to Oahu with the intent of staying for only two days but ended up being four. I am not a fan of resorts and hotels, so I couchsurfed the first night with some locals and then stayed in the Waikiki Beachside Hostel a block from the beach. It was a damn good time. I rented a moped and toured the island. I didnt make it all the way to north shore, but I hear wonderful things. I had a well rounded trip.
 Bwanajack
Msg: 27
Posted: 9/13/2012 3:10:11 AM
went to honolulu very nice but very touristy
maui was great .. had a great time there. .at sunset everyone sits on the seawall and watches the sun set
in Lahania( sp) there is a big banyan tree..always nice to just sit there and watch the people

as for the bars and such ..you have local and tourist bars... some of the locals are not nice

safe trips
 onlydateIF
Msg: 28
Posted: 9/13/2012 4:59:57 PM
If you go to Kauai, do the napali coast hike. If you make it to Maui, don't miss wainapanapa beach. You'll meet people. traveling alone over there is no problem. Hard to have a bad trip in Hi :)
 ktmeow
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2012 6:14:27 PM
honestly if your looking for trouble easy u can get yourself in trouble.. but if u want to see teh real hawaii u can in a peaceful manner way. altho i must say yes very touristy even a town hana that has less than 30 residents lives. jsut curious. my way to hana.. i saw only 2 signs that says watch for children.. and yet i saw soo many signes that says watch for pigs crossing..
 Wildcard74
Msg: 30
Posted: 10/9/2012 12:44:06 AM
Be sure to hike up diamond head. It's lots of fun and gives you some of the most scenic views. Also, dont forget to hike Manoa falls. It's a nice rainforest hike that's a break from the sun.

And I'm sure you know by now to use lots of sunscreen. The Hawaii sun burns you very fast.
 desichick1983yahatoo
Msg: 31
Posted: 10/12/2012 8:18:38 AM
do u need a buddy to go with? i want to go n hv no one to go with...there are hostels there too for solos
 ktmeow
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2012 2:22:38 PM
Going back to hawaii in a couple of week :)
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 11/16/2012 8:51:38 PM
It's hard to beat Maui from January through the end of March.

My favorite hostel in the world...'the Banana' in Wailuku. Rather than getting a room I usually pitch my tent. It's like living in a 50's movie. Lots of interesting, friendly travelers. Great for hooking up with other solo guys or gals. You can get rides to the ocean for snorkeling, sunbathing, etc.

Also great camping on the other end of the island in the National Park...it's free. Great isolated sites overlooking the ocean (Big Island in the far distance). Whales often swimming by. Avoid the State campground as it's boring .

I'm far from poor but enjoy living without a lot of amenities when in Maui. Reminds me of that free feel of my student days years ago.
 Rain587
Msg: 34
Posted: 11/23/2012 9:35:07 PM
I went to Oahu in 2007 to see Pearl Harbor and wound up going to something every day and night. There is so much to see there but it's crowded and busy. I love Lahaina on Maui and went to February of 2009 and again December of 2010. The road to Hana is gorgeous and so many hiking areas going up like the Garden of Eden.

I went solo to Kauai September 2011 and it was by far the most awesome trip I've ever done. Stay at the Lawaii Beach Resort and visit Waimea Canyon which is a short drive and breathtaking to hike at and then go further up to Kokee state park. I did the sugarcane ditch float and it was so much fun and met so many new people. Make sure you stop at the Kauai coffee Company and taste several different brews for free. Awesome stuff.

I opted for the helicopter ride to see the Na'poli coast and it was amazing.

Kauai is by far the friendliest island and I came back with emails and phone numbers. I'm planning another trip in September 2013. Going to the Cabo Azul in Los Cabos in March first.
 alexkbga
Msg: 35
Posted: 11/30/2012 5:18:53 PM
Hey bro I lived on Oahu for 3 years. Feel free to ask away.

I know big island has amazing camping sites on the volcano.

If your interested in snorkeling and other various water activities. Look into the place known as Palau, its way west of Hawaii but its 10x more stunning.
 SuperFunGuy
Msg: 36
Posted: 12/1/2012 1:07:37 AM
Just go to Hawaii!!!!! The Place is amazing. If single ok. Better if with someone. Other than that Hawaiii is exciting!
 Just___Jim
Msg: 37
Posted: 12/8/2012 6:48:37 AM
So you think I should visit Kauai to hike? I LOVE hiking and exploring. I plan to do that on Oahu but wouldn't mind island hopping. What do you think?

Hiking? lol Well you pick some of the most wonderful places in the world to do it! I'm planning to go to Kauai & Maui next month & do some hiking on those two islands. Would like to check out where Georgia O'keeffe painted on Maui and in the town of Hana & Waianapanapa Beach.
Kauai to hike to up the "Sleeping Giant" on the eastern shore & for it's trails & views.

I just did the big island last May & you if you like can hike around the crater with places to crash if you do the whole excursion. I did not but my son & girl friend did.
Also any books written by Andrew Doughty & Harriett Friedman on the Islands, The ultimate guidebook. A excellent read & very informative. Very local & very down to earth.... aloha
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2012 9:24:24 AM
Just an aside to previous comments. Oahu is a very different experience from Maui (or Kauai). Night and day. They just happen to be tropical islands in the same state. I wouldn't take a free vacation to Oahu wheras others revel in Oahu's culture, excitement and night life. In contrast, I go to Maui at least once a year but others find it a bit 'slow' for their liking.
 ktmeow
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 12/18/2012 8:37:40 AM
i might just say i find peace in Maui and Peaceful in Hana.. i guess differ what it is you like or want to see and experience..
 northwildwoodnjman1969
Msg: 40
Posted: 2/16/2013 5:28:33 AM
I did a solo cruise around the islands years ago on the Norwegian Cruise lines. It was lots of fun, but would have been better I had went with somebody.
 zenpeacelove
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2013 6:52:14 PM
I would say take the time and effort to visit Charles Lindbergh's grave which is in a place called Hana on the island of Maui. When I went there back in the early 80's, it was WAY off the beaten path and took hours of driving to get to. The journey was on a long winding two lane road that went past some beautiful scenery, lush greenery, little waterfalls etc. It is an easy to miss spot it a tiny churchyard in the middle of nowhere and the gravestone is almost level with the ground.. At least it was then. I would love to go back there one day. It's well worth the day's journey, and an interesting little bit o history as well...
 Albvs
Msg: 42
Posted: 2/26/2013 7:45:51 PM
Oh heck yeah. I've been to Oahu maybe... three times now. Definitely sign up for the Polynesian Culture Center on the north shore and spend a day snorkeling at Hanauma Bay. If you're on a budget then you can pig out once per day at the all-you-can-eat buffet on Kalakaua Avenue to augment your evening's entertainment.

There's a hike to a waterfall somewhere just north of Waikiki beach.
 or_current_resident
Msg: 43
Posted: 1/27/2014 11:45:07 AM
I would say take the time and effort to visit Charles Lindbergh's grave which is in a place called Hana on the island of Maui.

Thanks for mentioning that I enjoy history too. I did not know that among other famous who lived, visited & was laid to rest there in Maui….
And as I read up, for anyone else interested in the exact location as follows:
The Palapala Ho'omau Church is located 8 miles south of Hana on the ocean side of the highway. A small road just past Mile Marker #41 leads to the church And cemetery.

Hope we can do a "puddle jump" from Kauna'i on a day visit to visit this famous site on Maui this coming March.
Thanks again for that info on Charles A. Lindbergh.….mahalo nui loa'
Show ALL Forums  > Travel  > Solo trip to Hawaii islands???