Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Dating in your 70s      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Molly Maude
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Dateing in your 70iesPage 2 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
congrats to cq43resflo1 ... for being so computer literate ...

I went to the Senior Center last night for a dance ... what first struck me was there were real, live, breathing people there who didn't have profiles accessible! no Facebook pages ... no photos ... WOW!

I was dancing with men and had NO CLUE about their marital status, whether they smoked, drank ... town they lived in ... their ages ... parenthood status ... whether they owned cars ... where they were employed/if they were employed ... no previous posts so that I knew their opinions on topics ... NOTHING!

I conducted a mini-survey ... found NO MEN at all who had access to computers, knew how to operate them, knew what Facebook was, were interested in the world wide web! oddly, they just lived ... very strange ... I wonder if they actually read books and newspapers!

real life is kinda scary compared to online ...

P.S. it was a lot of fun ... I haven't laughed that much in ages ...

and ... some of those people can really dance ...
 mateo45
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Dateing in your 70ies
Posted: 7/25/2011 7:55:01 AM
My guess? The peeps at the Senior Centers are those who have given up. I did in-home care about a decade ago, and occasionally ended up taking my client there for lunches and whatnot. My observation? Those who were there were *not* busy with the bidness of living; rather, were winding down and waiting for death. I haven't been back since I retired. Don't expect to, either. Life is too damn much *fun*!

I suspect the Senior Centers and such do attract a certain "type". Am in my mid-60's myself, and for example, was out yesterday on a motorcyce ride with a group of guys and even a couple gals with bikes, with an age range from about mid-50's on up to late 70's. And we're all comfortable with technology and communicating via email, including several with GPS and fancy bike-mounted mp3 players with bluetooth headsets even installed in their helmets. I kinda doubt you'd ever find any of these folks playing canasta down at the Senior Center!
 Molly Maude
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Dateing in your 70ies
Posted: 7/25/2011 3:43:40 PM
I don't know about canasta ... I started going there because the local adult school has classes there at the Senior Center ... I'm taking a Writers' Group class ... have also taken Self Defense classes there ... Photography ... Art ...

... there were several men at the dance who arrived on pretty fancy-looking motorcycles ... don't know if they were Harleys ... cuz I wouldn't know a Harley from a Yamaguchi ... the motorcycle guys definitely looked like "bad boys" and seemed to be having a very good time ...

incidentally, where I live (small rural town) ... MOST of the men were wearing cowboy boots and cowboy hats! I kept getting hit in the head with their hats ... they didn't take their hats off to dance ... (don't most people take cowboy hats OFF to dance!?)

it was live music, surprisingly good!
 TryAgan
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Dateing in your 70ies
Posted: 7/25/2011 3:53:26 PM

(don't most people take cowboy hats OFF to dance!?)

Nah, they take their hats off for one thing, and one thing only.
 Silver-Dove
Msg: 30
Dateing in your 70ies
Posted: 7/27/2011 8:20:17 PM
Molly - thanks! That explains where lots of older men (and I suppose women) are!

Good for them!
 picmenc
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Dateing in your 70ies
Posted: 7/28/2011 7:00:47 AM
You are so right. Maybe we won't do a 5 k run, or cross country ski, but there are many other activities to enjoy- such as walking hand in hand, dancing.
 AmericanPieQT
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Dateing in your 70ies
Posted: 8/3/2011 9:29:15 PM

you older guys have you given up too?. I understand there are less fish in the pond but is it to late for the chase?I would like to tell her she is wrong and keep looking.

(hope I did that
thing right)
I am in my mid 60s, and I find men my age seem a lot older than me. The men that interest me are about 5 years younger than me. There are plenty of men in their 70s looking. Some have approached me, but I don't want an old guy that I'll have to take care of in his old age. Then again, I met a guy camping and discovered he was in his 80s. Looked pretty good, too. And very active. Just goes to show -- you never can tell. Tell your mother to never settle. It would be better to be alone than settle for less than she wants.
 AmericanPieQT
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Dateing in your 70ies
Posted: 8/3/2011 9:31:05 PM
Nope, I didn't do it right
 Molly Maude
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Dateing in your 70ies
Posted: 8/6/2011 1:28:32 PM
my experience IN REAL LIFE ... (I know ... "what's that?") ... is that, when a person gets beyond maybe 60 or 65 or so ... I can't tell by looking at them how old they are ... I've met 50 something people who I'd swear were more like 70 somethings ... there are two 90 year old women that I met in a class and I'd thought they were maybe a couple of years older than I am ... I met an 85 year old woman who I'd thought was younger than me ... I have a friend who's 57 years old ... she LOOKS a whole lot older ... I know an 80 year old man who looks maybe ... maybe 60 ...

when I look at people, it's my opinion that it's not the YEARS I'm seeing ... it's the way they did or didn't take care of themselves ... the nutritious food or the garbage they've eaten ... whether or not they've consumed too many toxic alcoholic beverages ... if they've had a life time of smoking ... too many tanning beds ... that sort of thing ...

my Dad was a cowboy and never allowed anyone to abuse his animals ... if you rode a horse, even for a short ride, you brushed the horse down before putting him in his stall ... about the most derogatory thing my Dad would say about someone was that they "looked like a horse, rode hard and put away wet" ...

Gastro Man
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Dateing in your 70ies
Posted: 8/8/2011 9:15:02 AM

Hi Gang
The question is about Mom.Her complaint is there all dead or wore out by 70+.Mom
still goes to the gym and works out(Not just the Whirlpool) and is a go getter.
She can not find a boyfriend and is about to give up. I hate to see her alone in her golden years.What is with the you older guys have you given up too?. I understand there are less fish in the pond but is it to late for the chase?I would like to tell her she is wrong and keep looking.
Thank every one.

There are men out there your mom's age that are in just as good of shape, and wondering the exact same thing about WOMEN their age and where they're at.
 TryAgan
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Dateing in your 70ies
Posted: 8/9/2011 2:36:20 AM
^^^
maybe that's a good thing
 rosarobin73
Msg: 37
Dateing in your 70ies
Posted: 10/13/2011 5:16:56 PM
BUMPING up this thread because it's interesting !
 frijolera_ninja
Msg: 38
Dateing in your 70ies
Posted: 10/13/2011 7:23:42 PM
My Dads 76 goin on 77 he still walks every day at the beach and goes to the gym. Has a gf 15 years younger than him and she cant keep up with him. H says he needs to change HER in for a newer model. (yes I know my fathers a pig even at his age!)
 rearguard*2
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Dateing in your 70ies
Posted: 10/14/2011 8:17:09 AM

(yes I know my fathers a pig even at his age!)

Yes, yes....he should really be hanging around with a woman who can't get off the couch, helping her to work the remote all day long. Then he would be a reasonable, respectable elderly gentleman.........

Groan!
 kari135
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Dateing in your 70ies
Posted: 10/14/2011 10:46:51 AM

I suspect the Senior Centers and such do attract a certain "type".

No kidding on that one. When I first moved to OK someone suggested I go to the senior center, they had a sort of buffet lunch every day. I'm not real sure just what the "type" was, but I do know it was one of the most unpleasant and unfriendly places I've ever gone. And the lunch was completely inedible, too.
 RandomScause
Msg: 41
Dateing in your 70ies
Posted: 10/16/2011 10:03:05 PM
, the 70 yr olds I've seen seem so old from their profiles - couch potatoes looking for someone to keep them company in the retirement home. I've too much energy and can't bear to sit about day after day whittling away the hours. As a poster on another thread wrote (and love this): "They would be on oxygen after 5 minutes and their nurse would be on stand by."

I understand that the stand-by nurses are virile twenty-eight-year old male PSWs.

Yam-yam. Now, that's what I call quality health care. In Canada you get it for free.
 TryAgan
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Dateing in your 70ies
Posted: 10/16/2011 10:11:20 PM
As reported tonight on CBC:
A 100-year-old man achieved his dream of being the world's oldest marathon runner Sunday, after he completed a 42-kilometre race along Toronto's waterfront. Indian-born Fauja Singh will likely be named the Guinness World Record holder for the world's oldest marathoner for completing the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon.

"Beating his original prediction, he's overjoyed," his coach and translator Harmander Singh said. "Earlier, just before we came around the (final) corner, he said, 'Achieving this will be like getting married again.'

I think that last comment needs some explanation.
 RandomScause
Msg: 43
Dateing in your 70ies
Posted: 10/16/2011 10:12:16 PM
busy with the bidness of living;

I LOVE THIS EXPRESSION!! AB SOLUTELY ADORE IT.

(Back to work. Comment on the post, underlink.)

My 'sperience in old folks home life is different. My girlfriend checked into one in her seventies. All the guys were storming her door. Those who could not get in, coz of the crowding problem, went back to the "regulars".

They say, or used to say, that the biggest health risk in old folks homes is the spread of HIV. Too much unprotected sex.

The food is good, too. My babe is in a "retirement residence", she calls it that. It is a multiple-service residential institute. There are three levels of support: the full care, the partial care, and the don't care.

This girl (she turned 80 this year) is happy. For one thing, she's still better looking than most people my age. I am 57. She is seven times better looking than I. She lost her mind, though, seven years ago, to multiple mini strokes. Her mind is making a come-back, luckily, coz I guess it likes her body too much too.

And I can't understand why, but the other women in the residence don't hate her. Or maybe they do and I don't hear about it.

Case in point, in this residential setting, people are too squirmy with the fullness of life. They certainly not waiting for death, they are waiting their turn for what's in room 1213.
 RandomScause
Msg: 44
Dateing in your 70ies
Posted: 10/16/2011 10:17:43 PM
2) Research has proven over and over that women in the dating marketplace outnumber men and that this division increases with age. Women live longer; men re-marry more quickly, etc.

3) I think at any age - and more so in the golden ages - because of #1 and #2 above - the
best way to met is by doing what you enjoy. Church, walking or biking club, bingo...

+++++

Without trying to be funny, I enjoy sex. What's the best and quickest way to find an age-appropriate club or senior's group for that in my town?

(Okay, I was trying to be funny.)
 TryAgan
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Dateing in your 70ies
Posted: 10/16/2011 10:25:48 PM
^^^

Without trying to be funny, I enjoy sex. What's the best and quickest way to find an age-appropriate club or senior's group?

You could announce right here on Ontario forum a trip on Polar Bear Express for a group of like-minded people.
They can hook up extra cars as needed.
 Manysmiles22
Msg: 46
Dating in your 70s
Posted: 11/27/2011 9:39:02 PM
I'm on here because women over 60 definitely outnumber men! Period! It isn't that I can't attract them. I can't find them. I am 66. Some of the men I have met in their early 70's can give much younger men a run for their money. The one I would have married was diagnosed with cancer almost as soon as we met & has since died.

I've found in the few total months I've actually been online & dating, that my best bet is guys about 3 to 5 years younger than I am. Like many other "older women", I have had guys in their mid-30's beg for sex. I've also been by-passed by guys my age who want younger women. The youngest guy I have been willing to date was 15 years younger. We have become friends.

While many men in their 60's & 70's think that having a younger woman will help them regain their lost youth, there are some great guys who like mature women for who they are & realize that age is only a number. The problem is that there aren't very many of them & the good ones get snatched up quickly--or they don't live near those of us who would appreciate them!!
 ohenryx
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Dating in your 70s
Posted: 11/28/2011 7:23:30 AM

Manysmiles22:

I'm on here because women over 60 definitely outnumber men! Period! It isn't that I can't attract them. I can't find them.

I have not seen any solid evidence of that, but my own experiences seem to bear it out. I am not and have never been handsome, or “hot”. Women have never thrown themselves at me. But here I am, at the age of 60, and I find it easier to get a date than ever before in my life.

But at the same time, harder to make a connection with anyone. I have gone on a great many initial meetings, the great majority of which do not lead to a second date. I just try to enjoy the initial meetings, and hope for the best.
 Moonchild51
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Dateing in your 70ies
Posted: 11/28/2011 7:38:16 AM
Just out of curiousity, why do you think all this dating is not resulting in a 'connection'?

^^Could be any number of reasons "why" they didn't result in a connection. I have been on a few myself, most with ending with a hug and thanks for meeting up. Your post infers something is wrong with someone if they have a fair number of meets without results. Based on your statement, I must be one f-d up mess!

OT: Dating into your 70's? Heck, why not if you are able! Just like anything else, we may be older but as long as we have the ability, go for it!
 rearguard*2
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Dateing in your 70ies
Posted: 11/28/2011 7:52:42 AM
Could be that when he explains his interest in finding a woman that is interested in making love 3 times a day that it scares them off. Happens to me all the time!
 Moonchild51
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Dateing in your 70ies
Posted: 11/28/2011 7:53:13 AM
Winter, thanks for the clarification. Guess you could read your statement both ways, yours and mine. And you do have some good reasons for the no connection. All these things factor into a relationship, but they have to be for both sides, which overall, is what I think makes online dating difficult. Hard to get both parties to "fit" no matter what the age...least that is how I see it.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Dating in your 70s