Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Kids banned from restaurants?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 26
yes, banned from all public places on earthPage 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)

Should Screaming Kids Be Banned From Restaurants?

Yes and no.

Restaurants and other private business should be able to limit who they serve based on what they want and then let the market decide.

So if they want to an kids they can, if they want to ban fat people they can, etc.....

It should be up to the business to decide, not the government.
 Janet_Always
Msg: 27
yes, banned from all public places on earth
Posted: 7/11/2011 4:13:05 PM
Anyone screaming in a restaurant, supermarket, ANY store should be asked to leave, IMO... and children should have no special treatment in that regard. If a restaurant wants to ban children, that's fine by me. Families can dine somewhere else.
 forumfishie
Msg: 28
Posted: 7/11/2011 4:28:18 PM
Last night my co-worker and I went to a local restaurant, it's not a fancy place but it isn't a children's kind of place either.
We wanted to talk about work related things, so we went there because it is usually on the quiet side

We got a table and started sorting things out, not even 10 minutes into it a man came in with two boys, one about 4 year old and the other maybe 3 years old, they never stopped screaming, and crying and running around the place, in between the tables, getting tangled on the tableclothes and dropping things on their way, hiddong under the tables etc.

After ten minutes of that, a single woman who was having dinner and working on her computer by herself stood up and went to his table and asked if he could try to keep it down, since she was studing for an exam, he reply "this isn't a library" another man stood up right away when he heard him say that and told him right to his face
"You Sir, are an a$$hole, everybody here was having a nice dinner until you decided to spread you daily misery outside your house"

The other 20 people in the place including us, clapped and cheered.

But, guess what?

He did not care a bit, he stayed and ate his dinner and dessert too, while the kids runned around the place, people telling them "watch out" "don't fall" "don't run with that fork in your hand""watch for the table corner" to the 4 year old who would NOT sit for one minute.

Maybe he just figured out he can eat more and be more relaxed when OTHER people are watching his kids while he eats
 pinkoleander
Msg: 29
Kids banned from restaurants?
Posted: 7/11/2011 4:44:33 PM

Are you single and childless and when you heard the news felt like it was about time?
or
Are you a parent and feel discriminated against?

So OP it seems like you're saying that single childless people don't want their dinner disturbed but parents enjoy screaming children, even the screaming children of others. I work with children all day 5 days a week. There is child noise all day, every day of my life. Off the clock I prefer peace and quiet. Noisy adults, children or animals are irritating and I will leave immediately and not return. I tell the management the reason I am leaving.
 buckeye1332
Msg: 30
Posted: 7/11/2011 4:48:36 PM
That there is what I define as someone who should not have children. The kids do not know any better because daddy is an inconsiderate moron and does not know how to be a parent. I have a problem with people like that.

I have quite a few friends with young children, and not a one of those children are ill behaved or bad mannered. Why is that? Because my friends have done their jobs as parents right. If there were more parents who did their job correctly, or took the time to do it, we would not be having this discussion.

Some people here have made the children to be at fault, when the finger of blame should be pointed directly at their mommy and daddy. The children obviously do not know any better because they have not been taught to act in a proper manner.
 Welsh474
Msg: 31
Posted: 7/11/2011 6:19:20 PM
I would have like to ban the 20 year old with an attitude from my flight last week, all uppity because they wanted to put her $5,000.00 bag in the overhead because there was no room with her dog in it's carrier and her other Louis Vitton bag. A Paris Hilton wanna be. This is how kids grow up when they aren't taught how to handle themselves in public by their parents.
 viper1j
Msg: 32
Posted: 7/11/2011 7:20:34 PM

He did not care a bit, he stayed and ate his dinner and dessert too, while the kids runned around the place, people telling them "watch out" "don't fall" "don't run with that fork in your hand""watch for the table corner" to the 4 year old who would NOT sit for one minute.

He should consider himself blessed I wasn't there!

I would have offered his kid lots of nice chocolate (ex-lax) before duct taping their mouths shut!
 MsMuscleChick
Msg: 33
Posted: 7/11/2011 8:02:41 PM
I have no problem with this banning of children from restaurants. Not just because I do not have them, I just cannot stand ill mannered children in restaurants. It is not only rude, it is annoying as hell.

Watching parents allow their brats to act up, throw food on the floor and throw a fit if they cannot have what they want or do not eat when they are told to? Please people. Keep your little offspring at home if they do not or cannot behave. My dad would have beat my ass if I pulled any tantrum nonsense like some of what goes on.

Plenty of places people can take the little shrews.

If parents feel discriminated against, perhaps they need to start teaching their kids how to act. It will only get worse anyway. imagine how they act at home too. Jaysus Christ.

And I am aware it is 90% of the time the Parent's fault the kids act this way, but it is not MY problem. Take it outside & somewhere else !!!
 forumfishie
Msg: 34
Posted: 7/12/2011 9:45:55 AM
Only the woman who needed to study
and then the man who told him he was an a$$ hole said something

The rest, like us, were annoyed but able to continue talking/eating but it was
a big distraction, on the way out, I asked the manager if that guy and the kids had become regulars lately, he said ,
"NO! Thank God, I've never seen them before and
hope he is on his way to Canada"

He is actually a really nice man, the manager,he apologized for the noise and gave us a coupon for free coffee and pie because we do go there at least once a week.

When we left and he was still there looking down at his plate and his blackberry
kids going crazy
 Molly Maude
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 7/12/2011 10:37:09 AM
as a parent, I believe failure to instill manners, morals, love for education, appreciation for life, enthusiasm for living, etc., etc. ... in the children you're raising, is a form of child abuse ...

the man in this thread is setting his children up for a lifetime of failure ...

I jokingly say that I believe people should be required to take classes, pass exams and get a license before they're permitted to have children ... but ... really! procreation with no responsibility? really?

some people appear to have had children merely because the children are a by-product of having had sex ... the sex is over so they ignore the children ...

personally, I think children are a blessing ... it was my honor to be able to raise my children ... and several children who technically "belonged to" others ...

it's a noble endeavour to share your life's lessons with children ... children should never wonder if they're cherished or protected ... or loved ...

when I see people who ignore their children ... I just don't get it ... lots of sad things in life ... abusing your children ... ignoring you children ... sad ...

forumfishie
Msg: 36
Posted: 7/12/2011 3:31:02 PM
Another one bites the dust:

At McDain's Restaurant, in Monroeville, Pennsylvania, kids don't eat free. And starting next week, they don't get to eat at all. Mike Vuick, owner of the Pittsburgh area eatery has just announced a ban on children under 6 at his casual dining establishment.

After receiving noise complaints from customers about crying kids at neighboring tables, Vuick decided to institute the policy, which will go into effect July 16.

In an email to customers, Vuick explained: "We feel that McDain's is not a place for young children. Their volume can't be controlled and many, many times, they have disturbed other customers."

The owner of the "upscale, casual and quiet" restaurant explains to WTAE Local News, he's got nothing against kids in general, but their endless screams at public dinner tables are "the height of being impolite and selfish."

PittsburghVixen
Msg: 37
Posted: 7/12/2011 7:05:30 PM
forumfishie - that's the one I was talking about (msg 10).

Mr. Vuick was on one of our local talk radio shows last night and said that emails are running 90% in his favor, and the poll on WTAE-TV's website (the station that broke the story) was 3-to-1 in his favor. He said that without exception, the people who were supportive were nice, polite, articulate and civil, and the ones who were against him sent rude, cursing, illogical emails like "FVCK YOU! YOU SUCK!" (of course, he used a euphemism on the talk show).

And, the supportive folks were almost all parents/grandparents themselves.
 Home_for_30
Msg: 38
Posted: 7/12/2011 10:23:22 PM
As was not a perfect child, imagine that...haha....but if I was screaming or acting up in public my parents would have been totally embarrassed and drug me out of there in a heart beat, with a whoopin'! They would have been respectful of other's rights to enjoy a meal, shop or whatever in peace and quiet. I generally do not see that now a days. So, yes I think a PRIVATE BUSINESS has the right to not serve you if your child is causing a scene. Then again, I believe that a private business can set any guidelines it wishes. If you do not like it, go else where. There are adult only resorts, communities...ect already, so why not a restaurant???
 CMonster
Msg: 39
Posted: 7/12/2011 11:15:48 PM
It's just hard to believe that businesses would need to change their operating procedures just because parents have the right to allow their children to be disruptive in public.
 viper1j
Msg: 40
Posted: 7/14/2011 10:29:52 AM

"Ashley Heflin, a mom of two, told WECT. "You can't help it if your kids scream."

Duct tape fixes everything..
Just sayin'..
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 41
Posted: 7/14/2011 1:16:46 PM

Are you single and childless and when you heard the news felt like it was about time?
or
Are you a parent and feel discriminated against?

Should Screaming Kids Be Banned From Restaurants?

I'm a parent and I'm all for this ban. I'd definitely frequent restaurants with this as a policy, especially for finer dining. Then again? I'm all for banning public breast-feeding, too. (If I want a "family" atmosphere, I'll go to dinner at a restaurant that is "family friendly.") JMO
 SweetnessInFlorida
Msg: 42
Posted: 7/14/2011 1:45:27 PM
Doesnt bother me, it is their business.

I have taken my kids to a wide variety of venue's, and both the staff & patrons would coo and go gaga over how sweet and cute they were. If they acted up, i simply asked for a to go box, and gave them a big lecture on public behavior when they got home.
One of their all time favorite places to go was the Half-Shell raw bar in Key West, which was actually a oyster house with a bar, that was very popular with tourists and local people looking to meet up with friends and have a few drinks after work, because they had tables that sat right on the Gulf of Mexico, and they could watch the boats and feed the fish and the waitress would make some little childrens portion-size seafood baskets for them.
We never felt unwelcomed there. We were actually doted on.
I have pretty much been able to take them anywhere and everywhere though, and if a particular place didnt want them there i would have just gone somewhere else.
 CellaValencia
Msg: 43
Posted: 7/14/2011 1:57:13 PM
See, if all parents were like you there would be no need for the ban. I work in retail and a lot of parents don't supervise their kids at all. Most of the kids are well behaved, fortunately
 Casper66
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 7/14/2011 3:03:47 PM
Well it hit the news here in Canada, they went out and asked people what they thought, most agreed with the ban, only a few thought it was wrong, one Mom called it discrimination, had to laugh at that. I think people are just getting sick and tired of parents not doing their job, they want to be the kids' friend and don't want to disipline them or teach them good manners and how to behave properly out in public, I'm sure the ones that are against the ban are the ones with the loudest brats.
 Justmytypewriter
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 7/14/2011 3:16:51 PM
If there were any kid-free restaurants around here, I would become a customer immediately. YAY to restaurant owners that cater to adults that want to enjoy a quiet dinner or lunch without screaming kids around them. I am all for it.

And why shouldn't there be kid-free restaurants? There is no need whatsoever to allow children just everywhere. For parents, there's a gazillion of family-friendly restaurants to choose from. (I am all for kids-free days at amusement parks, too. Have a grown-ups day every now and then, amusement park managers, and receive a ton of lovin' from people who enjoy a scream-free environment.)
 *Just Jim*
Msg: 46
Posted: 7/14/2011 4:25:07 PM
Anyone screaming in a restaurant, supermarket, ANY store should be asked to leave, IMO... and children should have no special treatment in that regard. If a restaurant wants to ban children, that's fine by me. Families can dine somewhere else.

Now,if we can only ban all those folks who bring their rug rats into Disney World, when we all know they are all fully capable of walking on there own!

does anyone hear $$$$$
 cenomeno
Msg: 47
Posted: 7/14/2011 5:17:32 PM
Good! If I wanted to listen to their 'whaaa whaaa whaaambulance' I'd hang out at chuck e cheese .... Finally they're doing something about it. Kick 'em out!

--------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------
 forumfishie
Msg: 48
Posted: 7/14/2011 5:27:14 PM
We were talking about the blackberry watcher guy who brought the kids
to run around in the restaurant at work and someone said,
"it would be a great idea to have "kid free hour" in every restaurant,
like happy hour but just to be able to eat in peace,
or just a day of the week, like taco tuesday, "no kids wednesday"

I would be chasing that kid free day in every restaurant around here
 SweetnessInFlorida
Msg: 49
Posted: 7/14/2011 6:03:29 PM

(I am all for kids-free days at amusement parks, too. Have a grown-ups day every now and then, amusement park managers, and receive a ton of lovin' from people who enjoy a scream-free environment.)

I doubt that will happen, most of their revenue comes from families. Good idea in theory but they would lose buttloads of money even by banning kids for one day, and they are allllll about the money. I pay Disney a small fortune for annual passes, meals, parking, and souvenirs, they charge us parents an arm and a leg to provide "the magic" to our kids. (well worth it to have a special day but they sure hit us with a big bill for it all)
Msg: 50
Posted: 7/14/2011 7:14:18 PM
All I can say here is YAYYYYYYYYY!!!!!! It's about time.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Kids banned from restaurants?