Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Why did you choose Plenty of Fish? Thoughts on other Dating Sites?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ohenryx
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Why did you choose Plenty of Fish? Thoughts on other Dating Sites?Page 2 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)

houston_realtor:
I feel like I pretty much wasted $50, would have much rather had a new pair of shoes :)

Most of the women I know, $50 would not begin to buy a new pair of shoes!!
 Red Fish GF
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Why did you choose Plenty of Fish? Thoughts on other Dating Sites?
Posted: 7/13/2011 11:23:03 AM
ohenryx

Most of the women I know, $50 would not begin to buy a new pair of shoes!!

^^I could buy 2 or 3 pairs of shoes with $50. I don't waste extra money on name brands and I shop sales.

My SO paid approximately $60 for his membership on a dating site. He joined to write to someone other than me but she disappeared. I joined to contact him on a 7 day free trial. I got his regular email before I cancelled so we could stay in contact. I also wrote to a few others but didn't receive many replies back. I was hesitant about giving out my credit card information but I never paid a cent. He said it was the best money he ever spent, he met me.

He was also on a free site I had never heard of datehookup and this one. I tried searching before joining the paid site but nothing came up. I had met another man from the same dating site by sending a free message through myspace. Our dating each other lasted about 2 months. The message stated something like, why do people use paid dating sites when there are free social networking sites to email through.
 melkiorr
Msg: 28
Posted: 7/14/2011 5:20:21 PM
because the women on eharmony, match and pretty much all the others are also on plentyoffish.

Why would i pay to see the same women on a different dating site ?
 bimmerdude
Msg: 29
Posted: 7/14/2011 9:43:08 PM
I joined because it was free. Of course, my expectations are low since there is no cost other than time. Most dating sites are not any better and charge $$$$. But I have better luck meeting women with Craig's list than POF so go figure!
 Sportsfreak89
Msg: 30
Posted: 7/14/2011 10:59:54 PM
Well because here you can actually find people that have better potential to be in a good relationship with you and you can message people for free. Plus no other dating site that I used had forums.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 7/14/2011 11:35:05 PM
I heard about it on the now-defunct Don and Mike show, on the radio, and it sounded more interesting and actually functional than I'd previously heard of online dating being.

Since signing on here, I've also done as MANY do, and signed up for other sites, to at least see who might be THERE, who isn't HERE. I have indeed discovered that each site has it's own difficult to describe, but still distinctly different sets of clientele.

This site has head and shoulders above, THE best forums, and has been a HUGE help to me personally getting through my transition back to dating and searching for a mate.

There is another site that has a better system for testing out potential matches, I think, because they allow users to pool questions for everyone to answer, and you can get a ton of little tidbits of stuff from that, which would normally require many dates and adventures to glean otherwise. Instead of going on several dates to find out someones a racist, or has some other not-so-nice attitudes, you can read their question answers in a few minutes.

I also quickly learned that SOME famous PAY sites are rigged, and designed to suck money out of their clients while delivering lies.
 cardesi
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 7/16/2011 4:44:45 AM
You know what I like best about other dating sites! is the huge number of single girls all waiting for me to email them! and half of them want to hook up so bad they are willing to travel from the united states and every time something happens the want credit card info! and I have a rule about my credit cards and the internet! i will never happen!!!
 Janet_Always
Msg: 33
Posted: 7/16/2011 6:39:58 AM
When I first became separated, my girlfriend kept telling me about this site and that I should sign up and start dating. I joined and met several people, but my relationships were with men I'd just meet IRL.

In December of last year I moved to a new area and didn't know anyone. POF became more useful -- or I was more invested in meeting someone from here -- I'm seeing someone now I probably would not have run across otherwise, so for that I'm grateful.
 north-coast
Msg: 34
Posted: 7/16/2011 9:10:25 AM
The best things about POF ( like Date Hookup ) is that it's free and the forums. If I was seriously interested in internet dating, then I would use Match. I don't think any dating site is perfect. You can find jerks, players, flakes, cheaters etc anywhere. But in general I think people are more serious about dating on Match compared to POF.
 cherryyblossom
Msg: 35
Posted: 7/17/2011 6:27:59 AM
Plentyoffish is free and has this forum for great advice and humor. Yahoo personals was full of scammers, Eharmony was too expensive, and Zoosk had too little free features.
 Walts
Msg: 36
Posted: 7/17/2011 6:50:31 AM
I didn't chose POF, it chose me. Freaking tricked me actually. I thought it was flyfishing site originally.
 femaleconnection
Msg: 37
Posted: 7/17/2011 7:25:56 AM
I was on a few pay sites and it turned me off. Men were paying to contact me and if I didnt respond, they would get angry, feeling like they had wasted thier money. It is offputting to me.

The exact same men for the most part, are here also...

It is free.

It has these forums...which the other sites are trying but are not as good as these ones.

Just a few reasons to use this site.
 Jer13601
Msg: 38
Posted: 10/1/2011 8:22:24 AM
Just like other dating sites, POF is a joke, but nonetheless, free. It's loaded up with freaks and players with ulterior motives. The forums aren't too bad; it gives me a good laugh from time to time.
 SC67
Msg: 39
Posted: 10/1/2011 8:40:53 PM

Just like other dating sites, POF is a joke, but nonetheless, free. It's loaded up with freaks and players with ulterior motives. The forums aren't too bad; it gives me a good laugh from time to time.

agreed

I'm not sure how it happened, but Chemistry & True let me be a regular member for free. I paid a few times for Match years ago, but discovered most of the people are here too. I think the guys on Match are a little more serious since they have to pay & oddly enough I think the same guy will be more serious about a woman he meets on Match vs POF (& probably even more serious about a woman he met IRL vs Match).

Forums keep me on POF...I am obviously in the slow class when it comes to dating. I have no idea what I'm doing or how to pick a good man for myself. I'll just stick to the forums.
 northwickedwitch
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 10/2/2011 9:12:48 PM
One of my long time girl friends was talking about it, ranting and raving on how many guys she was meeting online, not that she ever really met with most of them. Her situation was different tho, she was a single mom with 5 kids. But, she talked me into signing up, and i talked to maybe a hundred, but met very few. I was thinking it was time to move on, when i figured out the forums were on here. Now i stay for this, tho i wouldnt be adverse to meeting a nice guy on here, but i do better meeting with another site im on. Love the forums though!! Genius of the creator....
 beenambedie
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 10/3/2011 12:16:35 PM
procolharem on 7/12/2011 1134 AM
Subject: Why did you choose Plenty of Fish? Thoughts on other Dating Sites?

Because it's a free rejection site.

This is the best description i've heard for POF. I am on 2 other sites. One of which I have met 4 people the other 2. I met 1 from here but saw her true colors quickly. If I actually had to pay for POF, I would not be here.I can approach women in my home town and be constantly rejected.
 finding2011
Msg: 42
Posted: 10/3/2011 4:20:44 PM
actually i am so gald i find this site.
i don't know this site before,then i went to lavalife,but there is for the players. so i don't like that. but have a gentleman tell me i am not fit lavalife, then he told me this site. actually i found out there are more decent man in this site then others.
 home_osorio
Msg: 43
Posted: 10/3/2011 6:26:20 PM
because my housemate told me about this so i registered. plus it's free. other dating sites make you pay.
 SuperFunGuy
Msg: 44
Posted: 10/3/2011 9:59:08 PM
Personally, I just like the forums. Travel - get to talk to people who have travelled to some interesting places and what they liked the most. Art and Music, and the Off Topic forum. These interest me the most.

As far as dating. They are all the same. Disappointing is the word I am looking for. E Harmony, Lava Life, and (something) date.ca they are all the same. Really how many people actually do date off these sites anyways? I bet the percentage is way down than what people say it actually is. The main problem is, everyone's way to picky.
 coffeedude09
Msg: 45
Posted: 10/4/2011 6:28:25 AM
If I remember right, I was using Craigslist at first... then I ran into POF. CL was a waste of time...

I have been on and off of POF over the what past 2 yrs or so, and have had only 1 actual meetup, but I made two friends off of that first and only meetup.

I also have been on OKC and the same with that long time, only 1 meetup (well 2) then it was all done with.

I like POF as it seems to always be updating with new people and if you get bored hit the forums up!
I know OKC has forums and all but with all the quizzes etc etc it gets to be too much.

CynM
Msg: 46
Posted: 10/4/2011 6:31:23 AM
I tried match.com and had as many dates as I wanted, including one man I really liked and we're still friends. So even though there were lots of scammers (not sure if they were the infamous Nigerian money scam but they were definitely some form of scam with a form letter approach) it was ok.

EHarmony - could have died of old age before actually talking to anyone. I prefer to meet sooner rather than later so that place definitely wasnt for me.

Yahoo & misc specialty sites (motorcycle-riders, religious affiliation, etc) - boring.

Craigslist - too many responses to my ad took too long to sort through and respond. I did not receive a single inappropriate photo or scary response like people warned would happen; but I did not receive a single response that really tripped my trigger wanting to meet.

Finally came to POF because a friend met her husband here. It has worked better than expected. As many meets/dates as I want and one lengthy relationship came through the profile side of the site. But it's the forums that make all the difference. They're entertaining and enlightening and I met my SO through the forums.
 coffeedude09
Msg: 47
Posted: 10/5/2011 4:40:49 AM
Luke do you have any tips of how to get a date/meetup off this site or OKC. I have had 1 from POF which was more of a friend sorta thing and on OKC 1 from there also all withing the last year or two.
I am on and off POF....

any advice?
 TraveliciousGuy
Msg: 48
Posted: 10/5/2011 1:11:06 PM
#1) It's free to communicate in all ways, for everyone, beyond just "smiles" and "flirts".

#2) Many more people are more active on this site than the members on many of the other sites.

#3) On some of the optional paying sites, the paying members act more elitist and refrain from communicating with non-paying members and members with no photos (usually because they assume that non-paying members and no-photo members are less serious than they are).
 libralaughing
Msg: 49
Posted: 10/5/2011 2:08:42 PM
I actually heard about it on a forum from another (free) dating site. Seems everyone was busy complaining about never meeting anyone on that particular site (although according to what people were posting, many were on that site for YEARS.) Over a year ago, at a friend's strong insistance, I tried one of the big ones they advertise and that you pay for. While I had a whole stream of people e-mailing me, it really wasn't time (I was widowed just over 6 months) and just kept deleting the e-mails. That site also doesn't refund your money, so it was a waste of my time (and others) as well as money at that moment. Frankly, I've found POF to offer just as much as the 'big' dating sites, without the cost.
 Irish_Hooligan86
Msg: 50
Posted: 10/5/2011 2:15:57 PM

Uhhhh hmmmmm Its the largest dating site in the world and it's FREE. (rolls eyes...)

Ummm it's free for the time being !
but give it anouther 5 years we will have to pay to messege people !
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Why did you choose Plenty of Fish? Thoughts on other Dating Sites?