Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 kailania
Msg: 77
Why did you choose Plenty of Fish? Thoughts on other Dating Sites?Page 4 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
i didnt know about POF but i went onto the net, maybe yahoo or google and googled in a question i had about a man.
my question went straight to POF ask a man.
i have been here ever since.
i love what i have learned on the forums and several friends i have made.
its great and its free.
K
 kailania
Msg: 78
Why did you choose Plenty of Fish? Thoughts on other Dating Sites?
Posted: 10/22/2011 6:09:19 PM
to :THAT GIRL
i would like to ask you something personal but your mail settings will not let me write to you.
if you can,..would you send me a letter just saying hello and then i can write to you.
thankyou
K
 6Foot3blonde
Msg: 79
I haven't chosen POF yet.
Posted: 10/23/2011 8:40:12 AM
I'm still deciding if I want to bother with POF.

I've had 3+ years of really, really okay success on another free site, one that I understand will get this post deleted or censored if I mention it.

So far I find POF almost impossible to use. The "Matching" is opaque, overwritten and useless. Smarter to rely on Cupid's arrows.

The huge majority of profiles are little more than "I'm down to earth, laid back and love having fun." giving no sense of the person and whether they might actually be interesting to meet--or whether they would care to meet me.

And then the filters on messages mean that fully half of the people I MIGHT consider messaging have me blocked. Because there's no differentiation between "married" and "polyamorous" to POF's filters.

Sadly, there's also no way here to hide someone. I look at a profile, see they are clearly disinterested/uninteresting, but I can't avoid seeing them over and over again in any search or random display. I have to just remember if I have looked at them before.

POF's censorship also seems very heavy handed. I've seen a word replaced with asterisks in a woman's profile because she mentioned a "cocktail dress." It read as "****tail."

That's just silly.
 6Foot3blonde
Msg: 80
Posted: 10/23/2011 9:10:36 AM
Oh sweet.

Before I posted my first topic, I read the rules. I stayed within them.

Just got the topic deleted with no explanation or recourse.

Censorious control freaks.
 Natgoat
Msg: 81
Posted: 10/23/2011 9:33:14 AM
'6foot....'...Let me know what that other free site is...
The 3-week-old bread, here is getting rather dull...!!
...^5...
 6Foot3blonde
Msg: 82
Posted: 10/23/2011 1:50:44 PM
Natgoat, I have heard that just mentioning that site here get your post deleted or censored. But it's much more OK in my book than pof. Try googling ok dating.

Hammer town, you dont know what you're talking about. I'm polyamorous, not cheating . There ARE women interested in at kind of dating, but pof offers no way to find that out.
 That_girl*
Msg: 83
Posted: 10/23/2011 3:54:58 PM
@kailania

your mail settings are on too so i cant email ya either ill turn mine off..
 6Foot3blonde
Msg: 84
Posted: 10/24/2011 8:44:01 AM
Aaah, so hammer, by extension, every woman who doesn't list "Must not be married" is happy to hear from married men, whether they're running around behind their wife's back or not?
Good to know, thanks for the tip. Handy of you to be able to speak for all women on POF too.

Also, amazing that you psychically know I'm interested in intimate encounters. You're completely wrong, by the way. But POF's limited, silly classifications make it impossible for me to actually select what I'm interested in.

Maybe you should find out what polyamory is before you go on about what poly people want.
 ForumsGee
Msg: 85
Posted: 10/24/2011 8:48:22 AM
..ITS FREEE..and if its FREEE its for me!

actually not really the best site because its free it does attract every weirdo out there (not to say there aren't any on the paying sites) ... the genuine ones have a struggle on here because of that
 minervyx
Msg: 86
Posted: 5/1/2012 11:05:56 AM
Generally, I don't bother with rogue dating sites.

Any site with under a million users is bad, unless maybe if you live in NYC.

I use also, and that's it.
 spooky48
Msg: 87
Posted: 5/1/2012 2:05:43 PM
Since 2004, I've been a member of the following dating sites & I closed my accounts all last October 2011. However, I was on these sites various times for various years but, all in all, I began my online journey in 2004:
American Singles, Lavalife, Chemistry, Match, Eharmony, Singlesnet, Christian Mingle, Catholic Match, Zoosk, , true.com, meetup.com (groups), bigpeople.co.uk, bbwpersonals.com, etc...and I am still though, a member of many, many band forums (that's b/c concert-going & collecting records & travelling for bands is a major hobby of mine).

I could write a book on all of the money, time, energy & experiences spent on these sites. Some good, some not so good but, all in all, I've learned a great deal of myself & about dating & some personality types men have in general.

I joined POF as another "option" really, just to give it a go & see where it'll take me.

As I've learned though, some features of a personal destiny aren't meant to be. That's why I'm kind of cynical & will not open myself to expectation or anticipation b/c I've been so heartbroken (& plainly STUPID) before. Maybe I am just not meant for love & marriage b/c some patterns & designs for destiny aren't materialized in the fabric for which is appropriate for the attire... That, is exactly what I'm beginning to learn based upon all of my experiences since 2004 but, I can fully say, I've learned alot & my heart is STILL OPEN for love despite the fact of all of my past rejections & failures.

I wish though, seriously speaking, everyone great luck on this site & here's hoping you meet the person you've been waiting for.

Cheers.
 Green_Jello44
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 5/1/2012 3:15:07 PM
I think I saw it advertised somewhere and clicked the link, thats how I found it. My friend met his fiancee here, so that was motivation........ I've had many wonderful dates from here and okc, thanks ladies!
 onlydateIF
Msg: 89
Posted: 5/1/2012 4:53:18 PM
Well, where else but poof-pond forums can a goodgirl safely get herself in a lil mischief n' trouble, foot-in-mouth? hahaha..... ; )
 haventbeenthere
Msg: 90
Posted: 5/2/2012 7:27:22 PM
It seems so long ago, but initially, I chose POF because you could post music on your profile. I loved listening to people's music choices while reading their profiles. Miss that, but I have an endless curiosity for the Forums. Additionally, there are more men on this site who will at least make attempts at communication. I also like because of all the self-input questions that can match you up, but not many people in my nook of the woods use it.
 RyJFa
Msg: 91
Posted: 5/2/2012 10:50:34 PM
The only reason I use PlentyOfFish is because it's free and has a very large user-base. That aside, I've not been impressed by the quality of profiles and women I've so far encountered. True, I've only been signed up for a day - in that time, I've met one girl who seems pretty cool, and quite a few who have been making me have second thoughts about online dating. This one girl kept sending me really dull and desperate messages along the lines of "hi" and "oh i guess u dont want to talk huh." I never responded to her, and now I'm starting to receive more to the extent of, " i guess i must be too good for u blah blah blah."

I blocked her, but have not encountered this level of stupid persistence on ! or other free dating sites. She wasn't a bad-looking girl, but didn't seem very bright. That also seems to be a trend I've noticed here - I hate to sound like a jerk, but many of the college-aged girls I see on here are either fairly ignorant or unattractive. There are definitely exceptions, but I find myself far more impressed by what I regularly find on ! than here.

As you can probably tell, I've only tried here and ! ! is decent, but there seem to be way more men than women in any given area, so initiating conversation can sometimes be more tricky than it seems here. If ! had more users in my area, I think I'd probably cut my relationship with PoF off pretty quickly.

---> Didn't realize this forum had censors. Whatever. I assume people can probably figure out what I was talking about, as there aren't terribly many big free dating sites.
 kire122881
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2012 6:33:27 PM
Since I've always been rather cynical about the efficacy of online dating, I certainly wasn't going to PAY for a service that might not even work...so I signed up for POF, which is free.

The other (major) sites...well, they're either run by religious cooks or huge corporations, or both. No thanks.
 BassOfFire
Msg: 93
Posted: 5/6/2012 11:10:30 PM
Plenty Of Fish and are free. So should love be.
 pd481
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Posted: 1/22/2014 9:20:19 AM
Here is a link to a humorous story about OK Cupid. (I don't know if links are allowed here?)

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2014/01/how-to-hack-/all/
 OutMind
Msg: 95
Posted: 1/22/2014 12:15:16 PM
Why? Forums baby.
 GJBrown
Msg: 96
Posted: 1/22/2014 10:26:09 PM
Plenty of Wasted Time, I mean Fish is free! and It was my former manager that told me to try this out after a relationship ended quite badly in the Spring of 2011.
I wouldn't pay to be on any dating site at this age! I rather spend my money on actual dates. And if I can't find a date then atleast I would still have gas money
 northwildwoodnjman1969
Msg: 97
Posted: 1/23/2014 5:45:30 AM
I'm on this site because I want to spread my profile out over different sites, just not one. Better odds of meeting somebody if I have a profile on multiple sites.
 Princess12524
Msg: 98
Posted: 1/23/2014 6:40:59 AM
Many years ago (2005-2006?) I came here for the forums...in all the years on here, I got prob over 1,000 emails & met ONLY a handful...the few that I met & dated were not worth it...
In the past I used paid sites for dating, the caliber of men were so much better, there were hardly any flakes. I also have dated from real life situations.

My experience tells me to tell you all:

If you do not attract the opposite sex in real life cuz of your looks, what makes you think online will somehow make you attractive/thinner/younger/less follically challenged? etc.

If you cannot sustain a relationship in real life due to a personality disorder, a family situation, financial woes, addictive behaviors, or just being downright mean/nasty, what makes you think online will make it any better?

People if you took the same time & energy you spent on online BS to work on yourself, both inside & out, then you would be "dateable"!

If you want a monogomous relatonship, all you have to meet is one good catch...

IF you just want to try to get laid w/ a bunch of unattractive miscreants, that is another story...
 browneyesboo
Msg: 99
Posted: 1/23/2014 8:28:23 AM
^^^I like your new picture! I can't message you anymore because I'm too old...hahahahaha!

OT: I came here because it was free and back then I was interested in meeting someone and
I thought online was the way to go.

I've since learned that online doesn't work for everyone. Some people are just better in real life.
Sort of like a resume I guess...some people look better on paper and some people just look better
in real life. I'm one of those that looks better in real life because in here I'm judged for my age
(and used to be for my weight).

Now I just sort of hang around in the forums and post sporadically and if I was the sort to do so,
I'd probably thank the lord jebus daily I'm not 99% of the people in here.
 NonamousDog
Msg: 100
Posted: 1/24/2014 11:55:21 AM
POF is free. And that's what it's worth.
 DragonBits
Msg: 101
Posted: 1/24/2014 2:43:04 PM
I created a profile on POF because I wanted to post on the forums. I never dated from here nor sent MSG to people to date. My profile has been hidden after a couple of weeks after I created it, never undid that, so it remains hidden.

In the first 2 weeks my profile wasn't hidden, I did get 4-5 MSG from women, I msged them but wasn't that keen on dating them, so I never asked for phone numbers.

I tried eharmony for a year in 2009 or so, I dated one women seriously, but I didn't put a lot of effort into that dating site either. I assumed I wouldn't do that well since I am shorter than average and older than 55 at the time, and I don't have a huge amount of money to attract women, nor to waste on meet and greets. Mostly joined eharmony because a female friend of mine kept buggy me to join thinking I needed to meet someone.

But I did travel to Thailand on a vacation, and near the end of that vacation I created a paid profile on Thailovelinks, that worked well and I got a fair number of MSGs. I went back and dated a few women locally. I got smitten with someone, we got married and she lives in the USA now with me. Relationship wise, everything is great.

But I have to comment, dating in the USA seems like a bummer, not many men or women seem happy about it. Even the forums get a little too negative / weird, not sure how long I will continue to comment about subjects. Mainly I had been curious about how dating worked for most people, since I had heard negative stories from western expats in Asia. It can't be as bad as many posters say it is, but there must be some truth behind all the negativity. ciao
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >