Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 drivingharmony2
Msg: 102
Why did you choose Plenty of Fish? Thoughts on other Dating Sites?Page 5 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)

what made you decide to choose Plenty Of Fish?

I have been online dating off/on since June 2011. Funny thing, the first site I tried, was Plenty of Fish. But once I put up a very scant profile and 1 headshot photo, I was bombarded with so many emails, it literally freaked me out. So, I tried to delete it within the first hour, but I had to wait 24 hours before I could delete the profile albeit I was able to delete my photo. Here's the rest of my journey leading back to PoF and keep in mind, I paid for all site/memberships, the only site that was ridiculously expensive was eHarmony.
Started off : PoF (24 hrs, then deleted)
====
Match (off/on for 2.5 years) =Met many guys from Match
Chemistry (spinoff from match) = Met a couple of guys from Chemistry
eHarmony =Met one guy
Singleparentmeet =Awful site
Ok-Cupid = Met several guys from OkC
PerfectMatch =Crappy site
=====
Then, a co-worker of mine told me to try PoF noting here is where she met her husband. Since I had been online dating for awhile, I don't freak out as easily anymore....hahahah! And I have met many guys on PoF. What I like about PoF, aside from the forums, it's user friendly, very easy to maneuver through the site. Even Match bugs me as they keep changing their site. I like it simple. PoF is simple. So, I choose to utilize one online dating site for now - PoF. :)
 Ainen
Msg: 103
Why did you choose Plenty of Fish? Thoughts on other Dating Sites?
Posted: 1/24/2014 11:08:31 PM
Free. Did an advanced search without being a member and it had about 80 results. Of course many hadn't been online in a while, and I hadn't filtered out the friends, hang out, and other non relationship settings, but it was 80 more than other sites.

Heard about here on a Craigslist Rants and Raves post.

Other sites. By the time I heard of a site for pet people, it was a ghost town with perhaps one active user. There was a childfree site which also had only one nearby user.

The one other site I'm on is also free and encourages longer profiles. I do better on there by measure of % meeting in real life and filtering out incompatibility. The "okay" site. POF is better in some ways. Doesn't hurt to be on both sites. Sometimes I pass on messaging a girl on POF because her about me is 3 lines, then I see her on the other site: 90% match with a lot to say, so I message her. Or her long profile reveals an incompatibility. On that site I search on all body types because the longer profiles can show character and personality.

Pay sites seem dysfunctional. Recently a worker at a pay site was a whistleblower, saying she spent her workdays creating fake accounts.
 localRenoite12
Msg: 104
Posted: 1/25/2014 1:09:26 AM
Because it's free, but as the saying goes, "you get what you pay for."
 OutMind
Msg: 105
Posted: 1/25/2014 2:19:37 AM

Match (off/on for 2.5 years) =Met many guys from Match
Chemistry (spinoff from match) = Met a couple of guys from Chemistry
eHarmony =Met one guy
Singleparentmeet =Awful site
Ok-Cupid = Met several guys from OkC
PerfectMatch =Crappy site

Holly cheese burger, you've done your homework!

I've been on Match and POF. But the reality is simple. In match I could get 2 dates a week, and out of there I found two long term relationships. Both of those long terms, I was like the second guy they had gone out with, and they were doing the one month free thing. They were also so overwhelmed by emails that they were going to cancel, even if going out with me didn't go well. I used POF only for the forums because I found the ladies not being serious enough. The response rate here is a lot lower than a place like Match. Then last year someone responded that once they got back from a trip from work, she would like to meet. Oh, sure. Bull. I responded, cool. And wrote her off. Then after that period of time she responded. We dated for about 10 months.
 drivingharmony2
Msg: 106
Posted: 1/25/2014 7:43:04 AM

Holly cheese burger, you've done your homework!

Well, I have been serious about finding someone and when I started out with online dating, I had absolutely no clue what I was doing. I generally like to check out my options. I'm a lot wiser now.....I think? ;)

Thoughts on other online dating sites?

I can't recall the name but when I tried to check into it, it kept sending me to a website similar to matchmaking which from what I hear is very expensive. I had put in my phone # and email address (over 2 years ago)to get further info and I still get phone calls asking to come in for a meeting....? Also, PoF has this new VOW website and for some reason why I tried to check into that, I got this error message, "your area (zip code) has too much spam." WTF? :P
 foodieguitarman
Msg: 107
Posted: 1/25/2014 7:53:48 AM
Someone told me about this site way back when and the price was right.

I've since tried other sites , including the ridiculously restrictive Gharmony site ( I'm paranoid of lawsuits, lol ) - I have to change the channel when their commercials come on because my a ss still tingles a bit from the experience and that old guy just looks too wicked when he smiles - IN MY OPINION

I like OKAY Cupid too because they give you questions to answer which can tell you more about a person ... assuming they answer honestly, lol
 chill78
Msg: 108
Posted: 1/25/2014 8:17:35 AM
I spent the most time on POF and Match. I briefly used a few other sites. There are flakers, jerks, liars etc on every dating site. However I do think Match is relatively better compared to POF. I got a lot more dates and emails from women from Match compared to POF. I also had 2 short term relationships from Match.
 usmale6
Msg: 109
Posted: 1/25/2014 9:13:49 AM
Years ago, match used to be the best site, but POF has surpassed them now, it 8 times the size. Match is also full of scammers now.... plus, most of the people are on the free trial and can't contact you. Pof does a good job of keeping the scammers away. While I'll see a scammer here on occasion, POF often deletes the scammers within minutes... sort of like that game whack-a-mole!
 OutMind
Msg: 110
Posted: 1/25/2014 10:09:14 AM

Pof does a good job of keeping the scammers away. While I'll see a scammer here on occasion, POF often deletes the scammers within minutes... sort of like that game whack-a-mole!

I am yet to see a scammer here in POF. In match you can tell the scammers a mile away. They don't drink. The like men of all ages and from 3 ' 8'. Their profiles are full of la-la land words. That they want a family and find their prince. They also include their contact outside, then myname (at) yahoo (dot) c o m. They are so typically pathetic that anyone with any common sense can spot them a mile a way.
 traveltrekker
Msg: 111
Posted: 1/26/2014 12:16:18 PM

Why did you choose Plenty of Fish?

It's free, and fairly user friendly.

Thoughts on other Dating Sites?

Virtually all online dating sites have declined in usefulness over the last few years. Several sites changed their whole appearance and setup, and became less user friendly, and therefore the members became less active, and the overall attitudes of site users has changed dramatically.
 TrustInKarma
Msg: 112
Posted: 1/26/2014 12:33:27 PM
POF is free and has a huge pool of people to chose from. I've met and dated more people from POF than from the cupid site or on match (which is a horrible site in my opinion). I also briefly tried a few other sites, but they were so bad that I pulled my profile within hours.
 John255317
Msg: 113
Posted: 1/26/2014 1:47:18 PM
Match use to be a good site but that was years ago. It has changed big time. POF is popular right now and I am sure it will be like Match down the road. It only takes one to get away from this online dating and for me, I will find what I am looking for.
 chill78
Msg: 114
Posted: 1/26/2014 6:26:18 PM
Years ago, match used to be the best site, but POF has surpassed them now, it 8 times the size.

POF may have the largest userbase. But quantity doesn't necessarily equal quality. I think many people on here aren't that invested because it's free. They might browse profiles once in a while when they are bored.
 Ownerofdogs
Msg: 115
Posted: 1/26/2014 7:25:40 PM
Simple, unlike other sites where you have to pay to message other members, here, you can be ignored for free and know it's not because their account was unable to message you back.

In this case, bird is not the word, simply free.

As to setting up accounts on other sites, it's really more a personal choice. Some people will always gravitate twords sites that line up more in what they want. Christian and want to meet another Christian, then chances are that's the place you'd want. Like statistical break downs of everyone? There's sites for that to.
 EricTheBrave
Msg: 116
Posted: 2/5/2014 5:49:58 PM

Match use to be a good site but that was years ago. It has changed big time.

In what way(s), do you think?
 drivingharmony2
Msg: 117
Posted: 2/5/2014 7:52:30 PM
^^Well, for one thing, Match only gives 125 (no contacts, similar to blocks on PoF) whereas before, it was endless.
 chill78
Msg: 118
Posted: 2/6/2014 8:10:25 PM

Well, for one thing, Match only gives 125 (no contacts, similar to blocks on PoF) whereas before, it was endless.

That doesn't affect me. I rarely block people. Perhaps Match feels people who use blocking that often are going overboard with it. I think some of the relatively recent changes on POF are more annoying. Having to be a paid member to hide a profile, age restrictions for whom you can contact etc.
 drivingharmony2
Msg: 119
Posted: 2/6/2014 8:43:57 PM
^^^I had been on Match off/on for about 1.5 years so blocking 125 is nothing. I don't nearly use the PoF blocking feature like I have with Match. My online dating essentially started with Match so I was very overwhelmed to begin with. I think I am use to the whole online dating thing now.....not sure that is good or bad thing. ;)
--
I paid while I was on Match. I pay while I am on PoF. Quite frankly, for me, the fee is not unreasonable. But I can understand why PoF peeps would be perturbed with having to pay to hide profile. Yeah, the age restriction is a bummer but I understand why PoF did that too.
 chill78
Msg: 120
Posted: 2/7/2014 7:04:07 AM

I had been on Match off/on for about 1.5 years so blocking 125 is nothing. I don't nearly use the PoF blocking feature like I have with Match. My online dating essentially started with Match so I was very overwhelmed to begin with. I think I am use to the whole online dating thing now.....not sure that is good or bad thing. ;)

I know in general women get more emails than men. However I knew women that were on match for multiple 3 or 6 month time periods. They told me they blocked some men. But certainly less than 125. To each their own.

I paid while I was on Match. I pay while I am on PoF. Quite frankly, for me, the fee is not unreasonable. But I can understand why PoF peeps would be perturbed with having to pay to hide profile. Yeah, the age restriction is a bummer but I understand why PoF did that too.

I know why they did it. I think it is a case of trying to fix something that wasn't broken though. A person could have simply put an age restriction on their profile if they didn't want emails from people outside a certain age range. I also think this can encourage more people to lie about their age.
 traveltrekker
Msg: 121
Posted: 2/7/2014 11:29:58 AM
A person could have simply put an age restriction on their profile if they didn't want emails from people outside a certain age range.

People actually taking responsibility for their lives?

What a novel concept.

Way too logical for some.

Actually, I'm pretty sure the breakdown went this way:

Scores of young women jumping on the "trendy" bandwagon and signing up for the site via their phones with skimpy "ask me" profiles without bothering to research and understand the options available and then bombarding POF administration with complaints about all of the "old guy perverts" sending them messsages, and POF, rather than alienate the new members by explaining what they could do themselves to solve the problem, instituted a new default policy for them.
 daynadaze
Msg: 122
view profile
History
Posted: 2/7/2014 12:04:58 PM
I have been on several paid sites and free sites over the years and you do not get what you pay for. I have seen the same people on all the sites, I have seen phonies on all the sites, and I've seen just as many damn good people on free sites. The cliches are a load of bull, go to a site you find works for you and be happy. I don't get all the need to bash this site because it's free.
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 123
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2014 9:57:10 AM
The changes here over the years have made it less useful to me, but I'm sure it works great for many others. I'm mostly here just for the forums, but still browse profiles now and then and get a couple of first messages a week from others whose interest is piqued by my profile.

I met my last girlfriend on greensingles, which caters to my treehugging crowd. It's a pay as you go site, so it doesn't cost to just be there, only when you initiate a message with someone you haven't already corresponded with. You buy credits, reasonably priced, and it costs one credit to send out an initial message. I like that approach, and have never run across a scammer there.

I've been on match in the past and still have a hidden profile there but have not been motivated to re-up this go round.

My current favorite is OKC. I like to delve deeper than a standard profile allows. When these forums were actively promoted here this provided a great venue to learn how someone actually thinks. It made POF seem like a real community. Now it's just those of us who know the secret handshake who hang out here, and the lack of a steady stream of new participants means some of us just keep having the same arguments over the same things.

OKC has forums but they're barely used. But their optional questions can provide great insight and save a lot of false starts. My last two dates came from there, with another first date scheduled for tomorrow. The fact that I'm having my third first date in several weeks shows no there's no guarantee anywhere, but both of those first two fell into the "close but no cigar" category. Both were enjoyable dates, just not quite enough to warrant a second for one or both of us.

I have seen the occasional scammer here on POF, but far less than on Match. I've had one on OKC contact me, but there are also plenty of fake profiles easy to recognize by the way they're put together, always including an attractive woman half my age seeking men in my age range but offering little profile detail.
 chill78
Msg: 124
Posted: 2/8/2014 10:31:10 AM

Isn't it amazing how many email notices you get from Match regarding messages, interested matches, winks..only AFTER your subscription runs out and you haven't renewed it?? Lmao, what a scam site!...

That has happened to me when I briefly tried other pay sites. Not on Match though.
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 125
Posted: 2/8/2014 11:49:56 AM
POF was a lot more fun a few years ago, BUT, , , things are what they are. Now you have to pay for some of those features that were free, and I dislike being cut off from younger people that want to message me.
Still , we can have a good amount of service for no cost.
 Midwest_Southwest2
Msg: 126
Posted: 2/9/2014 9:05:19 AM
I’m at POF for the forums now, but my favorite site for dating is OK C because the answers to the questions the provide show how someone thinks and feels.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >