Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Rap Music      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 JCinVicBC
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Rap MusicPage 5 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)

.. Accountant just hoping to share his love for NWA with the right gal.

What does NWA stand for Carol? I have never heard that term before and google has no info.

I thought it meant "no women allowed" ? I am very naive though..

Afaik, it's "Ni--az With Attitude", or something very similar. Basically one of the pioneers of modern gangsta rap (Afrika Bambaata ran with the Black Spades in his early days, but his music never really got gangsta because it was an escape for him from the gang life--the same is probably true of other early hiphop pioneers who were involved with gangs. NWA were early second-generation rappers, like PE, who added a harder edge to it, and played up a gangsta image.)
 ChrisWelchAR
Msg: 88
Rap Music
Posted: 11/22/2011 5:03:10 AM
I caught my 60 year old mother listening to Coolio a few weeks ago... it was a CD.
 free4all131220
Msg: 89
Rap Music
Posted: 11/22/2011 6:21:42 AM
i would think she's a flake, and a trend follower, incapable of independent thought, of course I could be wrong...but I doubt it.

also I don't have any objections to that but dammit don't play it so loud in your car that it makes my car vibrate and drowns out the music I'm listenning to.
 SoBayNative
Msg: 90
Rap Music
Posted: 11/22/2011 7:13:25 AM

I caught my 60 year old mother listening to Coolio a few weeks ago... it was a CD.

My 76 year old mother has a crush on ice t, she watches him on some police show on tv. Look out Coco!
 palmer f
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Rap Music
Posted: 11/22/2011 10:29:42 AM
OP, now I wouldn't mind a woman listening to rap, but it also depends of the kind she likes listening to. I like more old school stuff from the 80's and 90's when rap was about having a good time or actually speaking about something truly important. The stuff these days is mostly garbage.

Do you listen to any other type of music OP, something outside of rap?

What I find is that a lot of music today (including rap) most don't have the staying power to become classics let's say 20 years from now.
 Railrunner
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Rap Music
Posted: 11/24/2011 4:36:39 AM
I am in basic agreement with Palmer F. There was some rap that was more-or-less decent, but the keyword here is 'was'.

Now, the kind I really can't stand is any rap being blasted out of a boombox at 3 AM by the "people" living upstairs from me. Being constantly awakened by "thump-thump" (repeated infinitely) at all hours of the night, really does tend to sour one on rap. I have told my landlord that if they do their rapping, I will be more than happy to show them a form of rapping and clubbing that they won't care for! (Think: LAPD)

My sister will, once in a while, play a Will Smith CD. His music seems OK.

Then again, my taste runs 1920s, 1930s, and 1940s jazz and big band anyway. I have my music on 78 RPM shellac records, and have vintage phonograph for them. People still generally "know" the names from this era: Glenn Miller, Artie Shaw, Benny Goodman, among the other big names. I doubt 70 years from now, anyone will know the current rap names.
 Working_Man120
Msg: 93
Rap Music
Posted: 11/26/2011 8:20:44 AM
people are going to judge you on any and everything. Your taste in music is something guys either share with you or not. Not a big deal. As for me, I would be impressed to know that a woman I may be interested in even knows who Wu Tang and Mobb Deep are let alone listen to them.
 wildandfreee
Msg: 94
Rap Music
Posted: 11/26/2011 7:32:25 PM
I think it depends on the person, i listen all type of music, and reggae a lot which many people are not into and havent got any issue about that, may be if you play it all day and night with someone who is not into rap he will be annoyed
 Magina314
Msg: 95
Rap Music
Posted: 11/26/2011 8:11:09 PM
I don't know what about rap music is so unliked. It's an expression of the mind. People go through different phases in their life, does that mean a person will be listening to Notorious B.I.G. one day and not Boys II Men the next?
 Juslookin01182
Msg: 96
Rap Music
Posted: 11/27/2011 12:24:22 AM

I wouldn't date a woman who likes rap (it being music is a matter of opinion)

Really? So you'd deny a decent woman a chance to be with you because she liked listening to Three 6 Mafia and Lil Boosie?

I don't care what kind of music someone listens to. I personally don't like country but when I was around my ex that's ALL I listened to, day in and day out.
 quarked
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Rap Music
Posted: 11/27/2011 2:56:49 PM
Frankly, rap is like most music. Some's good, a lot's bad. So, yes, I would date a girl that was into rap. I'd rather listen to Wu-Tang than Kelly Clarkson.
 1234deleted1234
Msg: 98
Rap Music
Posted: 11/29/2011 4:48:31 AM
I can't stand rap, most hip hop, monster metal or opera...and most contemporary country...Just my tastes...
I do like pop, jazz, new age, rock, most generational hits, trip hop, techno, instrumental orchestral and older country.
I would have a problem dating anyone who had to blare music i don't like...in fact don't even crank up the music I DO like... I want to be able to hear myself think!

...Damn, I'm getting old! Then again, I never did like really loud music...
 bamagrl68
Msg: 99
Rap Music
Posted: 12/1/2011 5:29:20 PM
Lybragh- Taste in music is personal and varies. Music is a big part of my life. I'll listen to anything at least once to see if I like it or not.
I've tried to like rap music, my oldest son listens to it, I just don't care for it. Some of its ok, but the "women are ho's, kill the cops" stuff kind of makes me want to go deaf.
If liking rap music is that important to you, date someone who also likes it, go to rap concerts, you know the people there also like rap.
Because I love music so much, I want to ask you to open yourself up and try new things.
There is a lot of great music out there.
Rap had it's beginnings in the spoken word of a long time ago, it has deep roots. Those same roots were the origin of the blues, I think you would like the blues, try it sometime.
VH1 is a channel that is mostly about music, there you can learn about a variety of different music, the beginning of different kinds of music and groups. There is one show there that's called "VH1 behind the music", I highly recommend it.
 truly_blessed
Msg: 100
Rap Music
Posted: 12/1/2011 8:05:39 PM
I am not a fan of most rap music, at all. The only time I'll listen to it is in a club. Most modern rap is meaningless, degrading to women, and encourages criminal behavior, IMO. But, everyone has different tastes. Would I date someone who listens to it? Probably. Would I date someone who blasts it so the whole street could hear it? Heck no.
 top_hill
Msg: 101
Rap Music
Posted: 12/2/2011 6:48:49 AM
I think music taste would be a trivial reason not to date someone. If the biggest "flaw" about someone I was dating was their music taste, then I would be very happy. I listen to some rap along with other types of music. I dated men that listened to music that I didn't like. Having different music taste largely meant that we couldn't go to some concerts together. Which wasn't a big deal. Because we had other things in common and there were other things that we did together. When we were in the same area, we would either compromise and listen to music that both people can tolerate or one person would use headphones or there would be no music at all.

I agree. Music taste is not a dealbreaker for me. If someone stereotypes you simply based on what you listen to ( whether it's rap or country or heavy metal ), then I think that shows some narrow-mindedness on their part. Yes some rap lyrics are offense. But you can find offensive language in a lot of places. Including some of the POF threads. IMO it's hypocritical for people to criticize rap lyrics when they have watched a violent movie, played a violent video game etc.
 bottleguy
Msg: 102
Rap Music
Posted: 12/2/2011 12:32:14 PM
I really don't like any music after 2005. Song here there maybe. I . . . don't think I could date someone who listened to a lot or rap. I just don't even consider it music. Same goes for any metal harder than Metallica.
 truly_blessed
Msg: 103
Rap Music
Posted: 12/2/2011 1:44:19 PM

don't those same criticisms apply to much of the product coming out of Hollywood movie studios?

To a certain extent, yes. I'm not a movie or TV person anyhow....doesn't interest me.
 Law212
Msg: 104
Rap Music
Posted: 12/2/2011 4:52:37 PM
I love rap and hip hop. I think hip hop and R&B has some of the best love making music. Some is slow and some has more uptempo but smooth beat.

And While I do like some hardcore rap I wont subject people to it. I listen to it by myself or in my car or at the gym.
 JCinVicBC
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Rap Music
Posted: 12/3/2011 6:04:59 AM

I think music taste would be a trivial reason not to date someone.

It would be a big deal for me, because music is a huge part of my life. It's my main career, it's my #1, #2 and #3 hobbies, and I'm hoping to find someone to share that love with. We don't have to exactly match--lots of the women I like are into dubstep, for example, which I'm really not feeling; one is even one of the top dubstep/glitch-hop producers on the west coast. But if she loves house, or techno, or jungle, or 'ardkore, we're good, even if she loves dubstep too, or even top 40 or country.

I could date someone who doesn't love any of those, as long as she's open-minded about music. I'm pretty open-minded, I like a lot of genres beyond those that are my passion and my life. But some I just have a very low tolerance for. But to me, common tastes in music and food are some of the most important factors in a successful relationship (aside from actually liking each other, of course).
 top_hill
Msg: 106
Rap Music
Posted: 12/3/2011 9:00:21 AM
It would be a big deal for me, because music is a huge part of my life. It's my main career, it's my #1, #2 and #3 hobbies, and I'm hoping to find someone to share that love with.

If someone's career or lifestyle largely revolves around music, then I can understand music taste being more important. But I think that's the exception though. Besides that, it's possible for a couple with different music taste to do other things together and have many other common interests. Among the people that have music taste as a requirement / dealbreaker, I think the majority of time it is based on broad generalizations. Some of the responses on this thread are examples of this.
 platypus_man
Msg: 107
view profile
History
Rap Music
Posted: 12/4/2011 1:44:23 PM
"I wouldn't date a woman who likes rap (it being music is a matter of opinion)"
Juslookin01182 wrote:

Really? So you'd deny a decent woman a chance to be with you because she liked listening to Three 6 Mafia and Lil Boosie?
I don't care what kind of music someone listens to. I personally don't like country but when I was around my ex that's ALL I listened to, day in and day out.

Eventually, that woman is going to want to listen to 'her music' and will find it upsetting if we don't want to 'enjoy' it with her. But for some of us, rap is like nails on a blackboard. I'd rather drill screws through my toes than listen to an hour of rap music. If you like it, fine. Just don't ask me to have to like it too (hey, I won't eat raw fish either).
 1234deleted1234
Msg: 108
Rap Music
Posted: 12/5/2011 3:59:35 PM

So, jco you listen to techno quietly?

Well, yes, actually I do!
I may briefly turn the volume up for a particular piece but even my "loud" would be quiet by most standards.

.....Did you have a point?
 Railrunner
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Rap Music
Posted: 12/5/2011 8:13:32 PM
Starlight, I am in basic agreement of the point about blasting big band at 3 AM.

I will argue, somewhat, the technical details of it though: No one who is remotely sane, tries to blast it at 3 AM though, at least it is completely inconceivable to me.

Of course, my music is not digital in the first place. It's all on shellac (Pre-vinyl) 78 RPM recordings.

Ever tried to crank up a shellac record on a phonograph?

I put one of my 78s on the phonograph, and attached the system into a Sony receiver (Much newer than the phonograph, being from the 1980s, but I borrowed it from my Dad for this test). I have three copies of Chattanooga Choo Choo (From 1941), and one has nearly all the gloss remaining on the record. Glossyness, somewhat lubricates the needle as it goes, and the hissing you hear on old 78s is from missing that gloss.

Anyway, I gave it full volume, and it didn't sound like the Chattanooga Choo Choo I knew - rather like a serious train wreck in progress!

For what it's worth, I am moving the Lloyd's phonograph system I have in my living room (The Lloyds dates to the 1950s), to my bedroom, and replacing it with an authentic Victor Victrola floor model from the early 1920s. A non-electric "spring wind" model, the volume is controlled by opening or closing doors over the sound chamber. Will be a treat come next spring, as the electric company's 100 year old grid tends to fail during spring thunderstorms!
 HappySingleSpirit
Msg: 110
view profile
History
Rap Music
Posted: 12/10/2011 8:49:08 PM
Please, as long as it's not country or heavy metal.
 JCinVicBC
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Rap Music
Posted: 12/14/2011 5:46:55 AM

Among the people that have music taste as a requirement / dealbreaker, I think the majority of time it is based on broad generalizations. Some of the responses on this thread are examples of this.

That's certainly true. In fact, I would say that's the fundamental basis of this thread. The OP's question, more precisely expressed, would be "Would you discriminate against or stereotype someone on the basis of the music they enjoy?"

The truth is, there are many hardwired stereotypes ingrained in many cultures regarding musical taste. Many are racial or socio-economic in origin. Generally, there is enough accuracy within a given population to these stereotypes to sustain them, but they are still only broad generalizations.

On the flipside though, there are many people who include those stereotypes as part of the subculture and lifestyle associated with the music they like.

Have to admit, I do it myself with country, even though I know there are exceptions. The only girl I've managed to get a date with so far was into country, and she was very far from any stereotypes of a country music fan (she was Trini, for starters, and just as much into Bollywood pop). But I also can't stand country, so in a way it's easier to use the stereotypes as an excuse. That said, country seems to frequently be associated with quadding, 4x4ing, dirtbiking, and hunting, at least on POF, and though this is also in some ways a stereotype, and there may be exceptions, I tend not to get along well with people who are interested in those sorts of activities (except maybe if they feed me venison ).

I would think that anyone, regardless of the music they like would want to be subjected to music blaring at 3 a.m. Big band could be annoying at that hour when you are trying to sleep, yes?

Personally, I love blasting music at 3am (though not in a residential area, where people might be trying to sleep). 30kw sound system, 20kw subs, pair of 12s and a stack of vinyl (or a laptop and Ableton, as the case may be), always sounds like a good time to me. Especially if I'm behind the decks.

(After all, my mum never said the Clash were sh!t, I would have hated her if she did....)

Well, yes, but if someone said that, of course they're either lying, or they simply haven't heard them enough, or loud enough... Luckily for me though, my mom grew up on early punk and metal, so I never had that problem. We went to a Ramones concert together--she's a bigger fan of them than I am.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Rap Music