Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > your gut and how smart it is      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Giggles10000
Msg: 26
your gut and how smart it isPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Listening to *intuition; or your gut...giving yourself a good reason not to be ALIVE!

Just think at the end of your dull boring life you can say...see how well I lived I never took a chance on anything. I lived a good safe complete life!

I listen to my *intuition then I decide what path I want to walk on...sometimes I go WTF and sometimes I hold on to dear life.
 viper1j
Msg: 27
your gut and how smart it is
Posted: 7/17/2011 10:48:27 PM

how often is your gut instinct right? just curious because i think i have a pretty good gut lol any ways. i would say mines about 85% right most of the time the other 10% i ignore it (which ends badly cause it ends up being right) the other 5% well its wrong and i feel like an A$$ what about you guys

My gut is right 100%. I've learned to never doubt it.

When I was a cop, it saved my life 5 times, and my partner's life twice.
 Simon4567
Msg: 28
Posted: 7/17/2011 10:58:27 PM
Most of the time I have had a gut instinct about something, I was right. The question I have is whether or not I "knew" that I was right. Odd thing about knowledge is that sometimes the situations we are in may change whether or not we're willing to admit we know something or not. If the situation is demanding, we may be hesitant about saying we know or don't know. That may be the case with gut instincts.
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 29
Posted: 7/18/2011 4:13:48 AM
My gut is always right..

My eyes often tells my gut to shut up.

Sometimes I get ear interference, but the gut usually wins.
 femaleconnection
Msg: 30
Posted: 7/18/2011 5:29:13 AM
I learned to listen to my gut. Even if I cant understand why it is reacting, I will stop and give it thought. Ill change my plans because of it etc....and I dont always hear back to find out I changed anyting bad from happening, but the fact nothing bad did happen as a result of changing course leads me to believe I did the right thing.

With people, my gut has been right far more than it has been wrong...but as a younger woman I would doubt it alot...and then regret it later. (raised to not make people uncomfortable) Not anymore and much more peaceful life these days. Listen to your gut! I WILL cross the street when someone is walking towards me and I get the shivers. I will wait for the next bus if a passenger waiting creeps me out....I no longer care if a complete stranger thinks Im being a snob or a racist...if someone creeps me out, Im outta there and I dont care what anyone else thinks. My safety is more important then being perceived as 'nice'.
 viper1j
Msg: 31
Posted: 7/18/2011 6:13:35 AM
Listening to *intuition; or your gut...giving yourself a good reason not to be ALIVE!

Just think at the end of your dull boring life you can say...see how well I lived I never took a chance on anything. I lived a good safe complete life!

REAL easy attitude to have, until you think about your 12 year old daughter getting the flag, and flinching at the report of a 21 gun salute, as you lay in a steel box.

My gut made sure I went home to her every night.

I no longer care if a complete stranger thinks Im being a snob or a racist...if someone creeps me out, Im outta there and I dont care what anyone else thinks. My safety is more important then being perceived as 'nice'.

And 3 days later, the complete stranger is sitting behind the desk as you show up for your job interview?
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 32
Posted: 7/18/2011 6:45:11 AM

I've learned to never doubt it. When I was a cop, it saved my life 5 times, and my partner's life twice

Sounds like your "Blink" instant evaluation of threats was trained well.. That training was embedded so deep it felt like your gut..
In relationships, we have little to NO training, usually just bad experiences to go on, so we may take a pass on people for almost any irrational feeling.. Sometimes that irrational uncomfortable feeling of vulnerability may come from what some call "love", usually just initial over-infatuation..
 TedJMill
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 7/18/2011 6:55:41 AM
I suck at that whole gut instinct and sense for people area. I usually have to go through a process on consciously considering and remembering things.
 FyrKrakn
Msg: 34
Posted: 7/18/2011 6:56:49 AM
I think we need to beat an attitude adjustment into Tall....seriously lacking in the irrational romance department.......
 valenciacityx
Msg: 35
Posted: 7/18/2011 8:13:19 AM
intuition is the just the beginning,
I have a rampant sense of paranoia and mitigated risks with a penchant for investigations ..... few pass the background check. I blame the military.
I trust none with out verification - early, and often.
The gut is one thing, the surveillance and dossier is quite another .
and if you dont pass my background check, you certainly arent passing the one the military does when they do their periodic check on me.... welcome to my world.
Your paranoia is about 3 mine is closer to eleventeen.
 4ms4me
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 7/18/2011 9:18:10 AM
I'm skeptical of "gut feelings" for a couple of reasons. First, I think our feelings are influenced by many things, which may or may not be relevant to the current situation. If they are relevant to the current situation then I should be able to find something more definite than "feelings" to base a course of action on. Second, people tend to remember their "gut feelings" when those feelings are validated after the fact. How many times those "gut feelings" have been wrong (or at least never validated) is forgotten. Even in those cases where something is felt, but never validated, a person is likely to assume they were right and were smart enough to dodge a bullet.

So, if I get a "gut feeling", I want to look closely the other person and/or situation and try to identify what I'm seeing that is making me uneasy. If I can't figure that out, then maybe its all about me rather than them.
 OutMind
Msg: 37
Posted: 7/18/2011 9:20:31 AM
I still have to trust my gut feeling, even when what resulted was not a good decision.

A year a go for instance I got back together with my ex. She had gone through breast cancer, the surgery, the chemo, it had been hell, so we had split. My friends told me not go get together with her. Everyone saw that it was not her cancer the issue, but that she had other issues. But I trusted my gut. I got back together with her.

It was a mistake in the end, but I have to say, it was necessary because then it brought me closure. I could live with myself that I had done all I could during the Cancer year and a half, and that in the end, we just didn't work out.

So I still have to trust my gut.
 Maleman999
Msg: 38
Posted: 7/18/2011 9:34:05 AM
What a weird question-coming onto a site full of people with failed relationships/marriages, And what's just as puzzling is most of the people here are saying "My gut/intuition is always right. It never fails." Where was the gut feeling/intuition that never fails when you decided to walk down the aisle with Mr./Ms. Perfect and promised to spend the rest of your life loving and caring for that person, and now you're single again, fishing for another Mr./Ms. Perfect?
 viper1j
Msg: 39
Posted: 7/18/2011 9:49:13 AM
Where was the gut feeling/intuition that never fails when you decided to walk down the aisle with Mr./Ms. Perfect and promised to spend the rest of your life loving and caring for that person, and now you're single again, fishing for another Mr./Ms. Perfect?

I took care of her until the day she died, and that was 17 years ago.. I didn't stay with her for the rest of my life, but I did stay with her for the rest of her's.

Any other questions?
 The_Song
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 7/18/2011 10:30:56 AM
i trust my gut feelings alot, even thou i am willing to give people the benifit of the doupt. It has steer me clear of many situations and proven itself right numerous times.
A few times i clearly remember, a night out with my friends we decide to go out to a afterhours, some people suggest we go to this one called Red Lights, usually i like that place and would go, but that day something did not feel right and I was pretty much oppossed to it to the point that i argued with my friends about no going there and going somewhere else. In the end i pretty much told them that they can go if they want but that i was going to another instead. Next day i hear there was a shooting at Red Lights and 8-9 people got shot.

Same thing goes for people, sometimes u just get this bad vibe from people, you warn your friends about them, sometimes they dont listen and your proven right later on.
 Justplainjohn
Msg: 41
Posted: 7/18/2011 1:57:17 PM
It's impossible to know if you gut is right with out constant feed back.

Lets say your gut say run from this person and never look back ... and you do .... how do you know you were right?

However you can use your past experience as an indicator. For instance in my divorce every single thing that my gut suspected turned out to be the truth. So for verifiable gut feelings I'm batting 100. Yesterday I got an email from a lady and my gut says she is not worth following up on. Am I right or wrong? Who knows? But I still go with the gut every time.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 42
Posted: 7/18/2011 2:33:01 PM
My gut is usually right.
I just never listen to it.
:-(
 Maleman999
Msg: 43
Posted: 7/18/2011 2:39:01 PM
My gut is calling for a beer right now. I trust my gut.
 CMaj7
Msg: 44
Posted: 7/18/2011 5:05:55 PM
It is a useful guide and shouldn't be ignored. I try to temper my gut instinct with seeking clarification and information. If someone has gone silent you have dated our gut may tell us you are being blown off. The reality is there is a thin line between what our instinct tells us and making assumptions about a situation. So in the above example I would simply ask. And sometimes my assumptions and gut have been proven wrong. Not often.
 socialgirl3
Msg: 45
Posted: 7/18/2011 10:38:15 PM
My instincts are almost always right....I have learned that if I do not listen to them, I regret it later....
 Giggles10000
Msg: 46
Posted: 7/19/2011 8:07:24 AM

REAL easy attitude to have, until you think about your 12 year old daughter getting the flag, and flinching at the report of a 21 gun salute, as you lay in a steel box.

My gut made sure I went home to her every night.

I no longer care if a complete stranger thinks Im being a snob or a racist...if someone creeps me out, Im outta there and I dont care what anyone else thinks. My safety is more important then being perceived as 'nice'.

And 3 days later, the complete stranger is sitting behind the desk as you show up for your job interview?

I'm sorry I would pat you on the back but your own hands are getting in my way of doing that. My point is that so many people LOOK for what is wrong with someone and then claim that it is a gut reaction...WE MAKE PEOPLE BE WHO THEY ARE TO US BY OUR OWN EXPECTATION OF THEM!

No one wants your charity...no one wants to feel that they are the underdog in a relationship...and since this is posted in the relationship forums then it is about relationships isn't it?
 cashleys
Msg: 47
Posted: 7/19/2011 9:31:19 PM
Pretty close, I would say that women have a sixth sense though and ours is more 95% correct, but we tend to think too much and convince what we know is not as it really is, then we ignore it then after if comes to fruition we say SEE, I knew it.
 jcmaine
Msg: 48
Posted: 7/21/2011 5:48:01 AM

I'm sorry I would pat you on the back but your own hands are getting in my way of doing that. My point is that so many people LOOK for what is wrong with someone and then claim that it is a gut reaction...WE MAKE PEOPLE BE WHO THEY ARE TO US BY OUR OWN EXPECTATION OF THEM!

I said something very similar to this.

I say, if peoples "Intuition" was so great they'd not be on this site and they;d not make the dozens of relationship blunders they have in the past.
 LabradorOokpik
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 7/21/2011 8:20:31 PM
^^^A lot of people dismiss their intuition and try to rationalize their feelings. I have heard of people getting into dangerous situations because they dismissed what their gut was telling them. Perhaps a lot of people do the same when it comes to love. In my own experience, I ignored things I shouldn't have and ended up getting hurt. Maybe I could have avoided that if I listened to my intuition instead of trying to rationalize it, but I guess, as they say, hindsight is 20/20. And yes, sometimes people do the same things over and over. I agree, though, that sometimes people are what we expect them to be.
 karma1160
Msg: 50
Posted: 7/22/2011 8:56:09 AM
Jco said it perfectly "My gut is about 98% accurate but too often I don't LISTEN to my gut in favor of giving people the benefit of the doubt.

I don't think I wanna change though....I'd rather have my heart broken than be bitter and closed off... I figure In the long run, I'll have more good memories filled with anothers' heart than being alone...it's just that it will be a collection of hearts instead of just one! I DO hold out hope though that the ONE will eventually come along.

And that's the best one can do until then, I think..."

Sometimes though, a person needs to go on a fast, until their vision looks clearer.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > your gut and how smart it is