Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Social drinking      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 CellaValencia
Msg: 20
Social drinkingPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Smoking and drinking isn't good for one's sexual well being

I stopped drinking socially in my 30s and I'm sure my liver is thankful
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 21
Social drinking
Posted: 7/20/2011 12:04:27 AM
I consider myself a social drinker. I often go months between drinks. Sometimes I will drink several times in a week. Because it's "social". If you drink alone, every day then you're not a social drinker.
 MondoVman
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Social drinking
Posted: 7/20/2011 12:12:33 AM
Four ounces or more of alcohol a day is NOT social drinking, it's a drinking problem.
The depth of one's drinking problem (dependency, abuse, or addiction) varies per individual.

How deep into the jaws of King Alcohol one chooses to co-reside/co-experience with the problem drinker is the companion question.
 cookie22222
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Social drinking
Posted: 7/20/2011 5:59:50 AM
OP I too grew up in a home with an alcoholic, so I get where you are coming from.

I think that drinking is too demonized, sometimes; and I also think that drinking is one of the great social evils in certain circumstances.

Get the picture? It varies from person to person. And it varies according to who is looking at the situation.

When I started online, I automatically passed over any profile that had "daily" marked under drinking - until I realized that my brother is a "daily" guy. He comes home from work and has 1 beer every night. He's the salt of the earth, a wonderful man, and I'd be lucky to find someone like him...kinda put a different spin on "daily" for me.

As for me, I don't keep any alcohol in the house on a regular basis. I don't like wine, so the "wine with dinner" things isn't me. I don't always drink in social situations, because sometimes, I just don't feel like it. A couple of times a year in Atlantic City with a bunch of my female relatives - I usually end up pretty tipsy. We have a blast.

To me, the idea of being an alcoholic is when it effects your life in a negative way - your job, your reasoning, your relationships, your health or finances.
 RushLuv
Msg: 24
Social drinking
Posted: 7/20/2011 10:17:11 AM
Social/occasional drinking to me is going out every once in a while with my pals and having a drink or two.

If someone drinks everyday, or on a daily basis, that is not social drinking. I usually don't drink unless I'm out with friends.
 totalazzhole
Msg: 25
Social drinking
Posted: 7/20/2011 10:26:42 AM

I think that drinking is too demonized, sometimes; and I also think that drinking is one of the great social evils in certain circumstances.

the same statement could certainly be said of "other" drugs besides alcohol

what makes me laugh is people who always think 'alcohol can't be that bad' because the state says it is OK for adults to use.

anyone who smokes a joint once a month is a 'terrible criminal' but anyone who pounds back ( perhaps many bottles of)booze daily is OK (even when they drive after or beat their kids, which we may not know about)

I believe it is well established that alcohol causes more pain, violence, deaths, social problems and lost income (due to illness, injury, deaths, etc.) than ALL "illicit" drugs combined
Of course that doesn't mean 'illicit' drugs are 'good' wither, this is to a large extent because fewer people use them as compared to alcohol.

but to say (or believe as many do) :" Drugs bad, alcohol good" is laughable.

besides alcohol IS a drug, just one that is legal in most contexts in our society.

I find the irony of people addicted to booze, prescription drugs (painkillers, sedatives, etc.) , tobacco, caffeine et al who feel superior & look down their noses at anyone who uses 'bad' illegal' drugs, to be laughable.

I've met plenty of people who are 35 or 40 who look 70 or 80 because of years of abusing booze.. plus consider the thousands killed by drunk drivers, abusive alcoholic spouses, people who fight because so many get aggressive when drunk, etc.
 RSwindol
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Social drinking
Posted: 7/20/2011 12:10:46 PM
Social drinking isn't defined by how much or how often. It's defined by the setting. A person can drink 2 beers or 10 beers and it makes no difference. A person can drink socially every day, or once per year.

Social drinking just means that the person doesn't sit at home and pound beers for the pure enjoyment of getting plastered for no reason. Social drinking is drinking while socializing.
 CellaValencia
Msg: 27
Social drinking
Posted: 7/20/2011 6:03:45 PM
Sammy is beautiful, who wouldn't want to socialize with him?

13 hours? Sheesh, I've had it after 8
 NonamousDog
Msg: 28
Social drinking
Posted: 7/21/2011 11:00:47 AM
If you "have" to have a drink regularly, even if it's just one per day, you're doing something other than "social" drinking, whether you imbibe alone or with friends.

Getting smashed periodically is binge drinking.

There's a lot of gray area around social drinking, and I'm not sure it can be defined by amount drunk, or frequency.

But if you wake up in the small hours every morning and have a drink because you need one, that's not social drinking.
 totalazzhole
Msg: 29
Social drinking
Posted: 7/21/2011 11:05:47 AM
the vast majority of hard-core alcoholics, drunks, & boozers are desperate to have a circle of 'drinking buddies' they can get wasted with..in their minds that makes it "social drinking" and is not 'so bad' even though the goal is to get smashed out of his/her mind.

Most people have likely had the experience of someone ( a hard drinker) almost forcing them to drink with them & becoming very upset/angry/pouty if you refuse for whatever reason (it is YOUR reason, not theirs)

If you have ONE drink that makes it "OK" /gives them license to have 10 or 12 or more..

then they believe they are 'social drinkers' not problem drinkers

best for them if they have several people to call on so they can get wasted with; a different one every night..then there is no one person who knows they do this EVERY night, each thinks it's once a week or so maybe
 pinkoleander
Msg: 30
Social drinking
Posted: 7/21/2011 11:29:58 AM
I don't drink. I don't like the taste. If I go somewhere and people are drinking I'll take a few sips to be polite but it's just not my thing. I put "drink socially" on my profile because when I was looking and had chosen "never" under drinking I got contacted mostly by recovering alcoholics, very religious people and people with extreme diets. They really came out of the woodwork on this one particular topic. I think the definition of social drinking varies from person to person and you have to find someone whose definition fits yours. If you're not comfortable with the amount someone drinks then that person is not the one for you. Simple.
 ComplekCity
Msg: 31
Social drinking
Posted: 7/21/2011 1:00:05 PM
IMO social drinking is exactly that, someone who generally only drinks in a social setting but not habitually.

Of course, they may occasionally have the odd drink here and there - especially during the warmer months. For example, while mowing the lawn a cold beer goes down very nice !

If he's a Canadian male , likes Hockey and classifies himself as a " social drinker " .... probably not. LOL

viper1j
Msg: 32
Social drinking
Posted: 7/22/2011 4:31:11 AM
If you "have" to have a drink regularly, even if it's just one per day, you're doing something other than "social" drinking, whether you imbibe alone or with friends.

The solution is simple.. To get the drinking back down to "social" status, just pop oxycontin the rest of the time.

I think why someone drinks matters almost as much. I know my drinking went through the roof after the death of my mother, and the end of my last relationship, because it was easier to pour another than to deal with the pain.

But when things are running smooth, I just don't feel an urge to drink that much.

Besides, the pills fit in your pocket.
 4rumninja
Msg: 33
Social drinking
Posted: 7/22/2011 4:47:46 AM
Don't drink anymore but to me a Social drinker is someone who limits their drinking to special occasions or functions...not an every day occurrence..
 RSwindol
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Social drinking
Posted: 7/25/2011 4:14:40 AM
social drinking is meant to suggest someone who doesn't have a problem with alcohol and isn't a heavy drinker while 3x a week or more is meant to suggest someone who is a heavy drinker.

I would say that a person who swings by the local bar after work each day to have one drink while catching up with friends is probably less of a drinker than someone who goes out once or twice a week and gets hammered of 12 to 15 beers.

But according to this site, the guy that gets hammered twice a week can consider himself a social drinker, while the other person is considered a "problem" drinker.

I don't think there is much to be discussed as to what social drinking truly is. I think the discussion here is that POF doesn't realize what social drinking is.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Social drinking