Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Great date then............ nothing      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Genni218
Msg: 58
Great date then............ nothingPage 3 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
OP, I’ve had this happen more times than I’d like. And YES, I look like my pics, my personality matches that of the words that are written in my profile /emails. So there should be “no surprises” on my part that is… but that’s ANOTHER THREAD! Lol

However, I find that people don’t say what they mean, or mean what they say… That is the time that we are living in. Where the here and now, is valued over the longevity and we are summed up over a cup of coffee and a hug.  I call it the” Hug-a-meter.” Lol Now, I’m learning that there’s a first date “kiss-a-meter” as well! Boy, am I missing the mark! lol

I know this is a dating site with Plenty of Fish, but I have yet to see a fisherman leave a fish hanging on his rod, while he goes and gets another rod to continue fishing. I’m no avid fisher, but I’ve seen Andy Griffin and On Golden Pond. I kinda remember that they usually “throw the fish back” if they don’t want it, or put it in the cooler if it’s a keeper. HEY! Maybe that’s it… WE’RE IN THE COOLER when they don’t call. Lol And YES, I will call a guy, especially if I sensed a connection and HE SAID that he did too.

By the way, why does chemistry on a first date have to equate to a kiss. I tend to think of chemistry as meshing with someone’s personality, not just their mouth! Think about it, do we really wanna kiss a person who’s dating multiple people and exchange saliva with them as well. They could’ve just came from a date, or got out of somebody’s bed. If I kissed every person I felt a physical attraction for BEFORE I got to know “something” about their character (like do they return phone calls. : ) I’d end up with nothing more than Mono! lol

OP, I too have been out of the dating world for a while and I know I don’t fit this generation’s idea of dating. That’s probably why I’m still searching. LOL Yet it seems like our generation has yielded to the “young folk’s” way of doing it, and here we all are…. SINGLE. ; ) lol

For me, when guys come on too strong on the first date, I relate that to him NOT wanting anything more than the physical. I guess I could be considered to be shy based on today’s standards, but as far as being passionate… it’s in there like “Prego.”
I just don’t choose to share it with every Tom,****and Harry on a first date in a parking lot…. My BAD lol Call me old fashioned, just don’t booty-call me. : )

Bottom line is… The Houdini act happens a lot, especially on a dating site. I think we just need to learn how to “multitask” do a little “triage” and be honest (yeah right…sad huh!) How’s the song go…. Say what you need to say, say what you mean to say….

I use to be thrown for a loop… lately I haven’t put too much stock into it. As another forum poster put it, “It’s not real, till it’s real.” I still believe with all the fish in the sea, there should be somebody for everybody.

I’m learning lot from these forum threads, they bring more insight. They also help me to tweak my approach and outlook, but I stay true to who I am, and what I’m looking for.

This was a good question, one I’ve been wondering about myself. 
So thanks OP and good luck with your search, from a fellow “cricket hearer” ^.~
 IcarusWings
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Great date then............ nothing
Posted: 7/21/2011 10:33:43 AM
All you have to do is pick up the phone and text or call them and find out how they are doing...women always expect men to chase after them. Men nowadays would like to be chased a little bit too, not saying you have to go all out assault chase mode on them, but let them know you are interested by picking up the phone and calling or texting them. If you dont get a response after that, THEN you know whether they are interested or not, and then you could move on.
 abelian
Msg: 60
Posted: 7/21/2011 10:47:00 AM
However, I find that people don’t say what they mean, or mean what they say… That is the time that we are living in.

Then get better at evaluating people accurately and quickly. The reality is that you are living in this time and you just have deal with the reality you're stuck with.

Think about it, do we really wanna kiss a person who’s dating multiple people and exchange saliva with them as well.

I didn't date women who wanted to date other people. Problem solved.

If I kissed every person I felt a physical attraction for BEFORE I got to know “something” about their character (like do they return phone calls. : ) I’d end up with nothing more than Mono! lol

Talk more before the date and weed people out on the front end. You're failing to take advantage of the way online dating works. If you don't like talking to someone before a the date, why would you want to meet him?

By the way, why does chemistry on a first date have to equate to a kiss.

If a woman didn't want to kiss me, how could you say there's any chemistry? If she does want to kiss me, but won't kiss me, then she's either playing a game or she isn't self-confident and decisive, in which case we wouldn't be a good match. I don't want to play ``guess whether I like you'' and I like women who are self-confident and decisive.

Bottom line is… The Houdini act happens a lot, especially on a dating site. I think we just need to learn how to “multitask” do a little “triage” and be honest (yeah right…sad huh!) How’s the song go…. Say what you need to say, say what you mean to say….

Right and a kiss says a lot that can't be hidden behind words. Kissing is great for triage.
 Genni218
Msg: 61
Posted: 7/21/2011 2:17:48 PM
[Talk more before the date and weed people out on the front end. You're failing to take advantage of the way online dating works. If you don't like talking to someone before a the date, why would you want to meet him?]

Wow, seems like some people are just waiting for you to post something so they can pick it apart. lol

Personally, I do take time to exchange dialogue and weed people out before meeting. That is the beauty of online dating. : ) That doesn't stop the socially awkward when who can type a good email, or the players from getting past my radar. It happens, and now I'd rather meet, sooner than later to see what's "really happening."

[I didn't date women who wanted to date other people. Problem solved.]

BTW how would you know on a first date, if a woman wanted to date other people or not? I'm just asking... esp perhaps? lol ET phone home? Don't get mad.... you started it. : p

I'm sorry, I just don't see lack of physical contact on a first date as a sign of an insecure or indecisive person. I consider it more the trait of a person with a bit of self control, one who doesn't make "rash" decisions and end up with one. lol But that's just me. ^.~

It takes time in the "here and now" to get to know a person outside of emails and phone calls. Chemistry is more than a kiss.... when you're looking for someone to share you life with, character counts a bit more. I'm sure somewhere online they have tutorials on kissing. (which I don't need BTW ^.~)

My point is, people should be allowed to date at their own comfort level. When you try to do it like someone else, you get someone's mate and not someone that meshes with you. Maybe some could stand to open up a bit more, and others can learn to be more patient. But if I don't "tongue a man down" or give him a "dutty wine" hug on the first date and he doesn't call me.... then I didn't NEED a second date with him.

The reality is "he wasn't for me." Whether or not that was the reason, the deal is, he's gone and I'm moving on... dignity in tact!

Again, It's not real... till it's real!
 abelian
Msg: 62
Posted: 7/21/2011 2:52:26 PM

BTW how would you know on a first date, if a woman wanted to date other people or not? I'm just asking... esp perhaps? lol ET phone home?

Very simple. If a woman was interested in dating and have it possibly lead to a relationship, I wouldn't even meet her for a first date if she wanted to date other people. The only option a woman had to date me AND date other guys was if she wanted to be a FWB or FB with no possibility of anything more than that and the understanding that if I met someone who wanted to date me exclusively with a relationship in mind, we wouldn't be seeing each other again. Read my profile. I've left it as it was before meeting my fiancee. My terms for dating are spelled out.

Don't get mad.... you started it. : p

Why would I get mad?

I'm sorry, I just don't see lack of physical contact on a first date as a sign of an insecure or indecisive person.

Well, I do. I know what I want and I make decisions quickly and my judgment has been mostly quite good. I like women who are the same way. I don't have enough patience for people who can't make up their minds or who make lots of bad decisions.

I consider it more the trait of a person with a bit of self control, one who doesn't make "rash" decisions and end up with one.

I didn't say rash decisions. Rash implies ill considered. However, I value intelligence, so I expect a smart peson to make good decisions faster than the average person.

when you're looking for someone to share you life with, character counts a bit more.

I've rarely been wrong in judging a person's character.

My point is, people should be allowed to date at their own comfort level.

They can, but I didn't have to date them. That's fine if they wanted to date someone who was ok with their ``comfort level.''

The reality is "he wasn't for me."

Then I don't see the problem. If a guy doesn't call you vack, you move on. That's no different than me moving on because I thought the first date didn't warrant a second date. For whatever reason.
 abelian
Msg: 63
Posted: 7/21/2011 3:26:59 PM
on the other end is a guy like that poster that is around here called Unclesomethingorother....

Personally, I think he's a troll.

..expecting that a man they were interested in, BUT NEVER MET YET...would stop all steps of searching before the first date. How most tell these women how ridiculous she is being.

I think you're reading more into it than I said. I expected a woman who wanted to date me with the expectation that it mght lead to a relationship to date me exclusively from the first date and made sure she knew that before meeting me. I didn't expect her to stop searching or meeting people until she met me (assuming there was enough chemistry to continue.) I did have one woman who wanted to meet me a few days after I started talking to her and she had already set up meetings with a couple of other guys which would have taken place after she wanted to meet me. I just told her to meet me last.

How most tell these women how ridiculous she is being.

Since there are so many posts from people who assumed they were dating someone exclusively when the other person assumed something else, I don't really see what's ridiculous about clearing that up before ever meeting. I've never had to to discuss exclusivity in real life, so I saw no reason to do it here. However, the only way to nake sure someone I didn't know was on the same page was to insist upon it up front. Apparently, it was not so ridiculous, since out of more than 100 women I talked to all but one of them said something along the lines of, ``That's the only way I roll.'' If anything, I think it was a plus, because women knew they weren't going to have to guess what was going on or play games. It certainly didn't hurt me in getting dates.

In any case, I really didn't care what other people thought. I was able to meet lots of women, which was more important than looking cool on the forums.
 KAT4EVR
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2011 4:15:40 AM
Sandy, just take your time, you can tell most of the time who the "players" are on here. You just have to read their profile, and they tell you : that they are not seriously looking, do not want a long term relationship, "I could eventually be Mr. Right, but I'm not going to make that sort of promise nor expect you to be that patient. On the other hand, if you just ooze sensuality, I can easily be seduced into fixing that broken faucet and performing other tasks .." or something similar, then find another man on the site that seems more genuine and caring.
You are pretty and if you do get nervous, it is okay but try not to be too nervous, this is not a job interview. Go into a date as a fun way to find out more about the man you chose to go out with and just have a good time.
I don't always kiss on the first date, I sometimes hug or kiss them on the cheek. It depends on the date, the mood and how he acts. If he is a hugger, then a hug works. If he wants to kiss me on the cheek , okay. If I get a full on the lips kiss, alright, let's do this!
There is no script, no lines expected nor is there the expectation of a second date. But, most men in our age group want to be the lead on calling back for a second date. Don't fret about the ones who don't call back, they just took themselves out of the pool.
If they are really interested and something had come up to prevent them from calling back, they will if they are truly interested. In short, take your time. Relax and enjoy the dates and the men you meet.
 JMyers1959
Msg: 65
Posted: 7/22/2011 5:51:19 AM
Sandy,

If you find the answer to this question tell me also. lol It happens more than I wish it did and I dont understand why sometimes. :(
 ohenryx
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2011 6:47:17 AM

on the other end is a guy like that poster that is around here called Unclesomethingorother....

Personally, I think he's a troll.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. His userid is UncleZeus, if I'm remembering correctly, and I usually enjoy his posts. He tends to have a rather dry, sometimes sarcastic sense of humor, but his posts are usually direct and to the point. He often says things that others are not willing to say, but nonetheless need to be said.
 abelian
Msg: 67
Posted: 7/22/2011 8:36:46 AM

Truth be told...after my first date with my Sweetheart...I had no desire to meet anyone else. It was never a demand or understanding between he and I in our pre-first-date conversations...just a natural effect of finding a superior, sweet, emotionally available man.

I congratulate you your success, but what you accomplished by running across the right person is essentially what I wanted to accomplish by design so I could meet as many potentiall right women as possible and filter out the ones who weren't on the same page. I just couldn't think of a simpler way to go about it.

Personally, I think most women (and probably a lot of guys) want to meet someone and know that both of them have no interest in anyone else without having to discuss it. That's how it always worked in real life for me. However, I had been reading the forums for about a year before deciding to date on pof and I noticed that a lot of people just assume exclusivity requires some agreement and those who assume otherwise are here posting their tales of woe.

Women who want to date several guys at once always seem to implicitly assume that dating several people at once doesn't include anyone having sex (except for WIP who seems to have a better grip on reality regarding assumptions about other people). Those same women seem to also say in other threads that they expect exclusivity once they start sleeping with a guy (although most seem to assume a guy thinks the same same thing without necessarily wantng to bring it up for fear of appearing clingy or desperate).

Most guys seem to assume that sleeping with a woman doesn't imply anything, but I'm not sure how many are willing to consider a relationship with a woman who is also sleeping with other guys. Mostly, they seem to take the position that unless exclusivity has been explicitly agreed to, they're just having sex and probably won't be interested in anything more than that with a woman who is doing the same thing. Most everyone thinks that it's no one's business to even ask anything at all about what another person is doing unless excusivity comes up and some agreement is made to not date other people. Finally, inspite of what most people say (especially women), sex happens rather quickly. It may take 1 date, or 5 dates or possibly a few more than that, but in reality few people wait very long, so regardless of how true it is for any indivdual woman, the only assumption you can make that won't end up being a surprise (in the negative sense) is that dating means sex. I don't care if that's not really true for every woman, but there are so many different ideas about that, that it's dumb to assume anything else, since you simply don't know.

Essentially, guys and gals are making incompatible assumptions about what the other is doing and almost everyone seems to think that actually asking is out of line. That's just a recipe for disaster and there are zillions of posts that are evidence of that. Everything I expected and the guidelines I set out up front was designed to avoid having me or anyone I was dating left in the dark about anything. My expectation of sex happening within 2 dates is just what I know from experience has happened without me ever having to actually mention having sex. I just assumed that I couldn't realistically expect a woman who was daring other guys to not be having sex with some of them, so for the purpose of a relationship, I had to get the exclusivity up front, even if that meant we went out twice and decided we weren't compatible. If we were compatible, then a relationship was at least possible.

The way I went about dating online may have been unusual, but I think quite a few people want the outcome I got in the way it came about, but haven't given much thought about how to filter their dates to acheive it without including more luck into the equation than I thought was necessary. I might have lost a little flexibility, but I think that paid off in terms of women who were happy to not play games or be left in the dark about why I was interested in meeting them.

When I read about UncleZeus's thinking, I had to let Sweetheart know that it was OFFICIAL, we got past month 8...we were finally committed. He hadn't realized that we weren't...so confusing.

That's the sort of confusion I wanted to avoid. Since I know what I want, I didn't find it difficult to eliminate the confusion without making a date out to be an instant committment to marriage or really anything more than an assurance that we weren't dating and sleeping with other people. What Uncleaeus advocates is deliberately not pinning anything down and expecting people to be happy with that.

told Sweetheart how lucky he was to have got to skip the trials and tribulations that some of us have had to go through.

My fiancee was also lucky in that sense. She was really skeptical about dating and listed herself as talk/email. In her profile said that dating might be a possibility. She ran across my profile and started dating me within a month of signing up and had only accepted one other first date in that time. I guess timing is everything.
 Easygoin68a
Msg: 68
Posted: 7/22/2011 11:55:01 AM
well, on this topic i can only speak for myself...

I havent dated in years, so chances are, Im an idiot..lol

If i had a good time, and felt that you did too - then I would call you:) If, however, i didnt get the good vibe from you that the date went well, i may not call you. but, if you called me - then hooray.. i say call him, chat and see how he has been doing. let him bring up the date.
 Fleuron
Msg: 69
Posted: 7/22/2011 12:35:47 PM

I often get women, during the chat/email/text stage "invite" me to FIX something or HELP with something at their house RATHER THAN JUST SAY THEY'RE COMFORTABLE ENOUGH TO MEET. That is when I stop contact...

Thing is...if they had just invited me over and during the course of conversation I picked up that they could use the help...90% of the time I'd offer. The 10% is when I detect that they were fishing for the offer...then it never comes... It's called playing games instead of saying what you want....I don't play well!

Wow, harsh. And you really don’t see this as YOU playing games? A woman asked you for your help with something before you went over, as opposed to timing the request to YOUR requirements….jeez. Maybe asking you to fix something or helping out was her way of saying she was comfortable enough to meet you.

Interesting that you keep stats.

Hmm it's a whole different world when a person gets so many opportunities that they can fine tune their approach - interesting to read how it is for others, although tbh does make for a bit of envy to see how the other half lives!

Yeah….I wouldn’t waste too much energy on that envy, if I were you. I could type here that I’m having a raging affair with Ryan Reynolds. Get my drift?
 abelian
Msg: 70
Posted: 7/22/2011 12:48:54 PM

A woman asked you for your help with something before you went over, as opposed to timing the request to YOUR requirements….jeez. Maybe asking you to fix something or helping out was her way of saying she was comfortable enough to meet you.

And maybe it was just her way of getting something fixed without having to pay a plumber or electrician or whomever. Just because a guy happens to be handy when it comes to fixing things, doesn't mean he's interested in doing that as a first meeting. Sorry, but I've had enough requests for help doing repairs from women who suddenly acknowledged my existence long enough to fix something, that I would see it the same way jco sees it. How about if I said I'd be comfortable enough to meet a woman if she promised to have sex with me? Would it be harsh if she said no or is saying no a one-sided thing? If meeting me didn't meet my requirements, why should I be obligated to meet someone else's requirements?
 1234deleted1234
Msg: 72
Posted: 7/22/2011 2:33:06 PM

Wow, harsh. And you really don’t see this as YOU playing games? A woman asked you for your help with something before you went over, as opposed to timing the request to YOUR requirements….jeez. Maybe asking you to fix something or helping out was her way of saying she was comfortable enough to meet you.

No...It equates to HER playing games! Like I said...if she was comfortable enough to meet she should have SAID so...not use an excuse...especially when it's asking for something rather than offering something...

Hey, I don't know how to make lasagna...why don't you cook for me?
 Here_In_Florida
Msg: 74
Posted: 7/22/2011 6:48:19 PM

"I never want to see you again. You know me too well on a first date and I dont feel comfortable."

Something a nutjob would say. A lot of those out there.
 julbev
Msg: 75
Posted: 7/22/2011 7:53:51 PM
Yes it is common!!! What the hell? Why can't people be honest??? Been there done that.
Don't understand and if you try to contact them to find out why they don't answer either. Childish!!!
 Bellflowerboy
Msg: 76
Posted: 7/23/2011 11:18:25 PM
Sandy, I think that we all go through situations like these and unfortunately there is not just one singular answer. You could kill yourself trying to figure it out or you could look back on it as a learning experience. For instance, let me tell you that most guys (myself included) are just as unsure of themselves or the impression that they have made as women are. We walk away from a date wondering all the same things; did she have a good time? Will she want to see me again? Do I have spinach in my teeth, lol.

Here is a suggestion that might make that elusive second date a little less elusive; try texting the man the next morning, or even on his way home and let him know that you had a great time. It will let him know that he didn't screw up and that you are safe to approach again. Just because we are not teenagers anymore doesn't mean that this dating thing gets any easier.
 ilovetodance1234
Msg: 77
Posted: 7/24/2011 2:36:32 PM
I have had the same thing happen to me as did Sandy. Great conversations. Seem to hit it off, etc. then nothing. I try not to let it bother me but we are all human and rejection is painful. I am confused now though as some seem to be defining the first meeting as such "the first meet" and others as the "first date". I always offer to pay 1/2 of any cost involved as I don't consider it to be a "date" in the usual sense. And, I do always text or e-mail and thank them for a lovely first meet, etc. Thus, as it is just a "first meet", I am not expecting a kiss when we say good bye as I hope the guy will be respectful and save that for our first "real date". A peck on the cheek or a chaste kiss on the lips is ok but the tongue down ones throat is just not for me after the first meet. Maybe I am old fashioned but even if really, really attracted to a guy I would rather have a first date and get to know him better before anything more drastic.
 Sandy4779
Msg: 78
Posted: 7/26/2011 4:38:50 AM
I always have a meal at home before a first date. I assume the date would only be a drink of some sort. If a date suggests ordering food or another round, I always let him know it is up to him, that I had dinner at home, and that I'll just have a little. I hope he then understands that he will be paying for whatever he orders. Of course I would offer to share a bill or pay as we got to know eachother better.
On a first date, I like to see how a man handles himself. Is he picky or is he a man who knows how to treat a date.
I did email one of the non-responsive dates that evening thanking him.....no response.
I guess periodically this online dating thing gets frustrating and one starts to wonder if it is fun meeting strangers. I have never been on a blind date in my life until now.
I just discovered these boards and found alot of great stories and opinions. Thanks to all posters for their support!
 abelian
Msg: 79
Posted: 7/26/2011 5:19:29 AM

On a first date, I like to see how a man handles himself. Is he picky or is he a man who knows how to treat a date.

We're doing the same thing.

I guess periodically this online dating thing gets frustrating and one starts to wonder if it is fun meeting strangers.

It's not frustrating and it can be fun if you meet someone without expecting anything more than a continuation of the conversation you were having on the phone and through messages. If you look at every meeting that you don't meet Mr. Right as a failure, then you're going to be frustrated, cynical and bitter and failure will become a self-fullfilling prophecy. Ditto if you regard an hour spent with someone who isn't Mr. Right as a waste of time. Most people put more effort into watching tv than finding someone for a relationship.
 Tim0066
Msg: 80
Posted: 8/30/2011 2:52:25 PM

I am 51 and in "my day" woman looked desperate if they did the chasing.

Well you look extremely young for 51... I'm assuming those pics are at the very least within the last 10 years... many women don't age so well. If those are pics of you in your 30's then maybe that could be the problem, you weren't what your pics showed... that would be my first assumption although I could very well be wrong.

For me, it's all part of "the dance".

This is not the 50's

"the dance" as you put it I'm guessing is similar to what we now call, "playing games"

No one wants or has the time for people to play games in their dating life.

"Playing hard to get" gets you players willing to chase you around to get in your pants... a "Gentleman" will respect a woman that doesn't express obvious interest... they won't "harass" a lady unless he has seen clear signals you want to keep seeing him. Like... a text saying... "Hi! I had a great time. I'd like to go out again"

OR, you can sit here online trying one guy after another not realizing half of the ones you dated wanted to keep dating but didn't think you wanted to.

Times change, you either change with them or get left behind...
 1234deleted1234
Msg: 81
Posted: 8/30/2011 5:26:26 PM
^^^^ Do I hear an echo....YES I DO!

Thanks... I'm glad someone agrees with me on this....
 Plentyofnothinghere
Msg: 83
Posted: 8/30/2011 6:05:03 PM

This is not the 50's

"the dance" as you put it I'm guessing is similar to what we now call, "playing games"

No one wants or has the time for people to play games in their dating life.

"Playing hard to get" gets you players willing to chase you around to get in your pants... a "Gentleman" will respect a woman that doesn't express obvious interest... they won't "harass" a lady unless he has seen clear signals you want to keep seeing him. Like... a text saying... "Hi! I had a great time. I'd like to go out again"

OR, you can sit here online trying one guy after another not realizing half of the ones you dated wanted to keep dating but didn't think you wanted to.

Times change, you either change with them or get left behind...

Amen to that!!!

This is exactly how I feel. Men need to know there is interest for us to keep pursuing. If a woman does not attempt to contact me to see how I am doing....I let her go. Confident men will not chase and know when to walk away. Players will do ANYTHING for the conquest of your loins.

If I seem to be taking all the initiative at contact.....good luck fishing. After all....this isn't the 50's and both sexes are equals, right?
 southmeetswest
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2011 6:14:44 PM
morning face

lots of wisdom in that post!

kaylee
 BoonDockSaint73
Msg: 85
Posted: 8/30/2011 6:21:38 PM
OP- don't worry bout it...a lot can happen in a week...

hell I had a nice first meet with a gal and had a lot of laughs, lot in common , etc.

walked her to her car...

got a nice little kiss.

she kept saying "you're gonna call me right ? call me !!! call me !!""

I called her.

never answered.

never returned my call.

it happens.

who knows ?
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Great date then............ nothing