Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > 55 and Holding      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 dd3va
Msg: 4
view profile
History
55 and HoldingPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
They've lied to me about not only their age, but their height. Sure, I prefer men taller than me, but that is not the only factor of course. I have dated quite a few men shorter than me, but never twice if they lied about it.
 fl344
Msg: 5
view profile
History
55 and Holding
Posted: 7/20/2011 7:28:00 PM
Thanks for the encouragement... hadn't thought about all the other things that could be lied about... yikes! :)
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 6
55 and Holding
Posted: 7/20/2011 7:34:55 PM
Well clever you found out at a distance.
Been even more awkward if you had met in person.
So I'd say score one for you.
 cion3
Msg: 7
55 and Holding
Posted: 7/20/2011 9:52:37 PM
Yes, it happened to me. His profile indicates he was 11 years younger but when we met he admitted being untruthful in his profile. I asked him why, he said he does not want to meet old ladies. I told him he was an old man! The sad thing about it was, he was actually a nice man. It did not bother me that he lied but it bothered him more that he did. We did not see each other after our second date. Sad...
 Casper66
Msg: 8
view profile
History
55 and Holding
Posted: 7/21/2011 1:52:58 AM
Welcome to the crazy world of online dating OP. I've had them lie about their age, height and marital status, but don't let it bother you there are some good honest guys out there, you just have to patient and don't be afraid to send off a message to a man who catches your interest.
 DivineBovine
Msg: 9
view profile
History
55 and Holding
Posted: 7/21/2011 4:27:42 AM
this morning i saw my first big gap going the *wrong* way on a man's profile.

his age is listed as 44 and he swears he's really 35!

ohenryx
Msg: 10
view profile
History
55 and Holding
Posted: 7/21/2011 8:26:22 AM

Army_Mom:
My personal twist on the age issue: Tell people you're WAY older than your real age then they'll be amazed at how good you look ...

I have met several women who looked much better than their photos, and that is always a VERY pleasant surprise.
 Pingshooter
Msg: 11
view profile
History
55 and Holding
Posted: 7/21/2011 1:09:48 PM

Out of the last five men who have contacted me, all five have misrepresented their age! Why? Once you meet, of course you are going to know they lied... how does one move forward? Is this happing to anyone else?

I think your man picker is broke.

I would think, that if these people were misrepresenting their age, they probably had no intention of meeting you to begin with, or, they believed that had enough glib to talk their way though their lie.

Change the choice of men you pick.
 ladyc4
Msg: 12
55 and Holding
Posted: 7/21/2011 6:10:51 PM

Out of the last five men who have contacted me,

Change the choice of men you pick.

Ummm-if they are contacting HER-how is HER 'picker' broken?
If the information and photos in his profile are false/outdated, how in the world is she supposed to know that BEFORE she meets them?
Well, OP-there you have it. Presume that any men who contact YOU are lying about their age because somehow they can sense your picker is broken.
Ping-no disrespect-but reread the OT. She says they are contacting her-what is she supposed to do, other than just flat-out ignore emails and refuse to meet any men from PoF?
Cindy O
 fl344
Msg: 13
view profile
History
55 and Holding
Posted: 7/21/2011 9:32:21 PM
I did not end up "going out" with any of the men I mentioned. So I guess my radar, or "picker" as a few of you have deemed it, is working just fine. My question, which was answered, had more to do with WHY would someone lie and expect to get away with it. Basically, as you have told me, there is no negative consequence and only things to be gained by lying. (And yes, I did report it to pof, including copies of chats where he said he lied, and he is still here.) The feeling that it might be "just you" or somehow your fault is unsettling; however the other posters have been encouraging… and I KNOW there are good men out there. In our local paper today there was an article about a woman who married a man she met through e-harmony and it turns out the guy was still married to his first wife! Things could always be worse and I feel lucky that my radar kicked in and I did not waste anymore time! This was my first forum post… thanks for making it a mostly good experience!
 goatdriver
Msg: 14
55 and Holding
Posted: 7/22/2011 9:11:46 AM
Yup.it's happaned to me in various ways.I am honest about everything on my profile simply because the truth with catch up with you sooner or later so one might as well be honest from jump street.It irks me to waste my time on someone who thinks that running game on me is ok.
 JerseyGirl2008
Msg: 15
55 and Holding
Posted: 10/12/2011 8:21:43 AM
ROFL!! I had one guy who had claimed to be 52 in his profile but only after talking a few times on the phone did I come to find out he was actually 63 years old!! He said he didn't put 63 in his profile because he didn't LOOK 63 - he put the age he LOOKS.

What a rodeo clown.
 smokincigars
Msg: 16
view profile
History
55 and Holding
Posted: 10/12/2011 8:29:53 AM
I don't really know what age I look, but I told the truth about everything on my profile. I might put things in the best possible light -- that's what advertising is about -- but it's all the truth. And I made sure the date-stamp on my profile pic is visible.
 c_deacon
Msg: 17
view profile
History
55 and Holding
Posted: 10/12/2011 9:33:50 AM
Well OP........I applaud you for being brave enough to "cam" because most that are far off from their profile, will not want to do that because they will then have to prove their claims and cannot............ Using a "cam" is more and more a necessity for me, and it has nothing to do with sexual activities, and all to do with seeing if they look like their pictures and fit their profile.

Before you start blaming all the men for the fudging of their birth dates, let me tell you that women do it just as much, if not more then men, and it really does not matter to me, as long as they can prove their claims..........

So, since you feel that you need to rant some about age, let's put the shoe on the other foot and talk about weight............ Is it just not, if not more so, delusional, fudging, and manipulating when one calls themselves average, and they are "fat", and when one says that they are a few pounds overweight, and they are truly obese, as it is to think one looks younger than their drivers license?

My point is this, if a site has a mandatory part that one must state their age, it should have also a mandatory part that one must state their height, and weight, giving us a general idea of how that person will look as it deals with both weight and age. To allow one thing like weight to be passed over, but mandates the age requirement, just does not make sense to me!

cd..................
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > 55 and Holding