Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Picky about teeth      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 QueenBeeSweetness
Msg: 38
Picky about teethPage 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I am kinda picky about teeth as well, if they dont brush or have tons of missing teeth, not happening.

My late husband has all his teeth pulled (every last one) and replaced with dentures, not long before we met. I was shocked when i found out his perfect smile was dentures! He had wanted to do it for years but had a dentist phobia, but finally mustered up the courage to go sit in the dentists chair. I sometimes wonder if i would have passed him up, who was perfect in every way, if i had met him pre-dental work. It is possible i might have!

He actually did practice good hygeine, but he had suffered from a combination of bad teeth genetics, & choldhood poverty. My former mother in law was very poor when he was a little boy, had no money for dentists nor insurance, & fed him a lot of junk food because it was cheap (not talking down on her, i lover her dearly, i know she tried her hardest & she eventually started wedding business & became well to do).....she actually paid for his dental work because she felt awful that she wasnt able to care for his teeth properly when he was growing up.
 Interception
Msg: 39
Picky about teeth
Posted: 11/11/2011 11:58:57 AM
Last year when I was out of work I was in a car accident which knocked 4 of my teeth out including my front tooth. I was terrified that it would hold me back from finding any sort of female interaction. Since I had no insurance to cover the massive dental bill I had no choice but to live with the situation, and unfortunately still do since the dental insurance at my current job doesn't kick in for another six months. However the girl I met was very understanding of the situation and doesn't even acknowledge the fact they're missing. In fact when we go out we just tell people I play professional hockey...and in most cases they buy it
 Akizzej
Msg: 40
Picky about teeth
Posted: 11/11/2011 9:42:43 PM
this is a subject close to hand.. I have to admit, the broken/blackened/browned teeth is a turnoff, have been with one guy with it and it took everything to try and not be 'judgemental'... but I just couldn't keep it up - began to be continually repulsed... and had to face up to the fact {there were heaps of other issues too, so not just that one}

I've just paid out {big time - no insurance} for partial dentures to replace missing teeth that came about as a result of poor dental genetics, and injuries to my mouth as a result of violence. I was very self conscious about my 'gaps' and it definitely affected many aspects of my life. {nothing like craving a nice crunchy salad and having no teeth to chew and masticate with}

I'm not sure how he put up with it, but I have to admit never brushed much at all until I lived with my first live in b/friend... then I used to watch him brush his teeth at least nightly and so I began to follow suit. From that 'moment' of starting the habit, I haven't let it slip. I'm not a 4 times a day, and regular flosser but as one dentist mentioned, as long as it's last thing at night with a flouridated toothpaste, it's enough. {I guess not because some of the tooth removal was also as a result of rapid development of a cavity in a damaged tooth}

Now I spend much of my time making sure that my young son understands the importance of looking after his teeth and I will nagg incessantly to make sure that he 'gets it'...
 scorpioinOregon
Msg: 41
Picky about teeth
Posted: 7/19/2016 8:32:51 PM
Had to revive a old dead thread because the OP spelled it out pretty clearly. Even though we don't have moderators anymore, I didn't want to start a new thread when this one works.

I finally met someone that I really like. He's very sweet and considerate. I definitely don't want to hurt his feelings. It looks like he hasn't had his teeth cleaned in quite a few years though.

I know dentists are expensive. I go there and pay what it costs. I don't think that he's broke or cheap. He has a very expensive boat that costs a lot of money to operate and pay for upkeep. That boat is his baby.

I would like to delicately tell him dental health can affect your overall health. Gum disease can cause heart problems. I know because the dental hygienist and I recently discussed someone we knew who died from an abscessed tooth because the infection went to his brain.
 aintnodeal
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Picky about teeth
Posted: 7/19/2016 8:57:36 PM
Most people have yellow teeth. Very few people have movie-star white teeth.

What's disturbing is missing teeth, sores, bleeding gums, and any kind of oral decay that creates an odor you can pick up from 3 feet away.

Maybe it's bad to point out, but breath mints and chewing gum are your FRIENDS on a date. I don't mean chew a big wad the entire date, I mean chew and ditch it before you meet, so you don't have the breath of Smaug.

Some women carry toothpaste or mouthwash in the their purse. No problem with that - they are thinking ahead.
 gtomustang
Msg: 43
the tooth pick
Posted: 7/20/2016 7:07:33 AM
"Some women carry toothpaste or mouthwash in their purse"

>>>a fellow who thinks appearance upkeep is a waste of time and money, tends to do better with a like-minded female. I too prefer a lady who likes a kissable mouth, and is willing to do a little bit of planning to achieve that. an unhealthy looking mouth is like any other part of us that looks unhealthy. Ever walk thru an unkempt yard to step inside a beautifully kept house? Its rare. Oh, its not nice to judge a book by its cover, however... some humans tend to be consistant. What you see on the outside, is what you get on the inside. and the times where a gym body hides a plain personality...we still make exceptions :)
 LiliMarleen
Msg: 44
view profile
History
the tooth pick
Posted: 7/20/2016 9:35:28 AM

I would like to delicately tell him dental health can affect your overall health.

Oh, F that!

How about, it's disgusting to kiss somebody with gross teeth?
 BHinFL
Msg: 45
Picky about teeth
Posted: 7/20/2016 11:39:43 AM
@scorpioinOregon:

I don't think it's likely that he will change his oral hygiene habits, but best of luck getting him to try. At the same time, when you present the situation to him delicately, as you mentioned, there is a possibility he will take your suggestions to heart ... or he may start looking for things about you that need correcting. What you're doing isn't wrong, but he can easily misconstrue your intentions.

Good luck!
 LJane_6
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Picky about teeth
Posted: 7/20/2016 3:14:17 PM
I once met a guy on POF, and when I saw him in person...he had yellow teeth. Like, noticeably yellow. He didn't smoke either, so I can only guess it was from bad hygiene, or maybe coffee? Either way, it was a turnoff. He was nice, so I tried to overlook it and went out with him a second time, but then I realized there were other things that I didn't like as well. So, just no. Crooked teeth are one thing, but bad hygiene is another story.
 scorpioinOregon
Msg: 47
Picky about teeth
Posted: 7/21/2016 12:20:22 AM
I didn't say his breath smelled or he doesn't brush his teeth. I wouldn't want to kiss him if he didn't brush his teeth.

Unfortunately, some people think brushing your teeth is enough. Regular cleanings are still necessary. I plan to bring this up as soon as possible. One would think that taking care of something that can cause poor health of even kill a person would be higher on the list of priorities than upkeep on a boat.
 gtomustang
Msg: 48
looking down in their mouth
Posted: 7/21/2016 9:27:43 AM
you would think so, but some people compare dentristy to pain. And pain avoidance is an universal characteristic in humans. not that i'm arguing, I literally grin and bear it every 3 months. but I can see the "logic" of people who want to avoid pain until its too late for preventative maintainance.
 hemingway234
Msg: 49
looking down in their mouth
Posted: 7/21/2016 9:55:51 AM
Teeth and smile are probably the most important thing as far as attraction goes.

Some people are single for a reason.
 EatLiftLaugh
Msg: 50
Picky about teeth
Posted: 7/22/2016 8:05:48 AM
The number of women that have bad oral hygene in the midwest is staggering. I met one girl who smiled with her mouth closed in all of her photos and her teeth were pretty messed up in person.

She asked me "how do I keep my teeth so nice?"

I responded "I go to the dentist every 6 months for a checkup/cleaning, and brush my teeth daily."

She responded "I never went to the dentist."

WTF is wrong with people. GROSS.
 EatLiftLaugh
Msg: 51
Picky about teeth
Posted: 7/22/2016 8:07:21 AM
OH and beware - women are using photo filters to whiten their teeth.

I met a girl who in all of her photos were taken at at the same angle, and her teeth looked white and straight. She used photo filters to make her teeth look white and in person, her teeth were messed up unless you were looking at her from the angle she tilted her head.
 Cowgirlwannabe1
Msg: 52
Picky about teeth
Posted: 7/22/2016 8:16:12 AM
bad breath and it's not from just eating garlic..
yellow or missing teeth
is a sign of poor oral hygiene

not going near that mouth
 scorpioinOregon
Msg: 53
Picky about teeth
Posted: 7/23/2016 9:24:19 PM
Well it worked out well after we visited someone in his town. The guy we chatted with had horrible teeth, some missing and some just looking gross.

I was able to make a comment on how they grossed me out and said I hoped the guy never expected to kiss anyone. We started discussing dentists and he did say he's gone past the time for his cleaning and how he knows coffee and tea really stain his teeth. He told me to remind him Monday to call cause he will forget. I'm glad the subject came up on it's own.

It's hard enough to meet people around here so now that I've found someone I like, I don't want something as simple as a dentist appointment to come between us.
 madison3000
Msg: 54
Picky about teeth
Posted: 8/5/2016 11:35:21 PM
I HAVE MEET ONE GREAT GUY FROM THE WEBSITE AND LET ME TELL YOU , HE WAS THE MOST NICES PERSON ON EARTH
THE WAS HIS TEETH BUT WASENT A PROBLEM AT ALL.
HE JUST HAVE YELLOW TEETH BECAUSE IS A PERSONLA TRAINER AND HE TAKES ENERGISE DRINKS TO KEEP HIM STRONG ETC NO SMELL WHAT SO EVER PERFECT TEETH JUST YELLOW . HE WAS A GREAT KISSER AND I STILL MISS HIM .
 cw35
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Picky about teeth
Posted: 8/6/2016 8:20:11 AM
I'm a bit picky about teeth. I would think someone with yellow.orange crusty teeth would be a deal breaker for anybody. How could you kiss someone with rotten teeth? Other than that, most teeth issues aren't a huge deal breaker. I personally don't mind braces at all. Some problems can make people look a lot more unattractive than they are like huge gaps or multiple overlapping teeth.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Picky about teeth