Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > the nice guy...are you willing to put in the time?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Jen_29
Msg: 101
the nice guy...are you willing to put in the time?Page 5 of 16    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16)
I said it before...and I am saying it again. My post is not about a check list. My post is about the fact that people are not static. If you have no dating success...work on yourself. Don't complain and blame the other sex. Is it easier to find a date if you are fit and healthy...sure it is. Is it easier to find a date if you are confident because you have your shit together...sure it is.

It's like applying for jobs in a bad economy. You can **** about the job market until you're blue in the face. Or you can actively improve your resume by learning the skill that employers desire.
 JeetKuneDo
Msg: 102
the nice guy...are you willing to put in the time?
Posted: 7/27/2011 3:07:47 PM

I make much less than 100,000 a year, but it IS a career.), developing social skills and taking care of her body.

Truth health doesn't come with exercise. If you read her profile she's looking for a cute butt. She doesn't want just a guy going to a gym he needs have be in great shape. Stable line of work? We're not in the 80's or 90's. American is almost going belly up and you think there's stable jobs? No job is stable anymore, anyone can lose their job.
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 103
Posted: 7/27/2011 3:19:47 PM

Is it easier to find a date if you are fit and healthy...sure it is. Is it easier to find a date if you are confident because you have your shit together...sure it is.

Most of those prime fit, healthy, confident people are out there IRL having a good time with their peers..
Many people attempting to seek a soulmate on a dating site are here because they have a flaw or three that have kept them from being "hired" for the advertised rare position of companion to a star.. Likely it would be a temp position though...

Some of those flaws may be improvable, some not..
Some people may be seeking others that can be lifetime companions sharing mutual goals and working together on self-improvement..
 JeetKuneDo
Msg: 104
Posted: 7/27/2011 3:28:00 PM

My post is about the fact that people are not static. If you have no dating success...work on yourself. Don't complain and blame the other sex. Is it easier to find a date if you are fit and healthy...sure it is. Is it easier to find a date if you are confident because you have your shit together...sure it is.

It's like applying for jobs in a bad economy. You can **** about the job market until you're blue in the face. Or you can actively improve your resume by learning the skill that employers desire.

Women blame men too. It goes both ways. It is true you shouldn't blame others.
Is it easier to date if you are fit and healthy? How about it's easier to get a date in real life? I am not "fit" but I work out a lot. I don't workout to hope to get a** or a date. I don't have problems attracting women in real life. Really many of the men on here hide behind the computer.

For someone with a master's degree you would think you would have some common sense. It's about finding a suitable/compatible partner. It's not about changing yourself. Sure during the dating phase a person will slowly change. Nobody in right mind is going to try to fit your expectations.

Wish you luck though.
 ComplekCity
Msg: 105
Posted: 7/27/2011 3:55:23 PM
Well, just for the fun of it let's see ...

Yes, you might be nice, but…
…are you educated?

Why is this a requirement ?
If the question was " ... are you intelligent ? " then that makes sense but educated doesn't necessarily mean anything other than having a piece of paper that you paid and worked hard for, which is admirable, don't get me wrong, but what does it have to do with compatibility ? Unless you mean educated in the same field as you so you have a common ground. Otherwise ?

For me, as long as a woman is intelligent enough to carry a decent convo and gets my sense of haha I don't need her to have a piece of paper to impress me.

…do you have a career instead of a job?

What difference does it make ????
As long as she's making decent money and loves what she does she'll be happy and happy is GOOD !

So, you run into some guy one day, you find him very attractive, you hit it off, you're laughing , chemistry galore but then... uh oh...you find out he doesn't have a career - "only" a JOB....so you write him off ??? I hope not for your sake but hey, that's your biz, just sayin

…do you go to the gym to look healthy and attractive?

One should go to the gym to BE healthy ... first and foremost. The attractive part is a reward/bonus - but of course I'm with you on this not only because I'd want someone who is going to be healthy for many years to come and if they also look good then that's definitely a good thing ! A healthy bod is a sexy bod !

…did you invest the money for a nice haircut?

Keeping well groomed isn't a bad idea, why not look as good as you can ?

…have you built healthy social skills?

Social skills are good, but between two people there's either a spark or there isn't regardless IMO

…have you found your own place to live?

I would hope that a woman around my age would have this by now lol

…is that place clean and nicely furnished?

I'd prefer it if the place was clean and nicely furnished but if I really liked her it wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me ( unless I had to watch out for rats and things )

…have you avoided stupid mistakes (such as being divorced at the age of 23)?

I could only hope that if she had made BAD CHOICES, as I would prefer to put it, that she had learned from them by the time I came along.
 The_Standard_Model
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2011 5:17:29 PM

Most of those prime fit, healthy, confident people are out there IRL having a good time with their peers..
Many people attempting to seek a soulmate on a dating site are here because they have a flaw or three that have kept them from being "hired" for the advertised rare position of companion to a star.. Likely it would be a temp position though...

You really believe that? So as far as you're concerned anyone that you meet here is going to be second rate compared to someone that you meet IRL?? Really?
I can tell you that I work in an extremely busy bar and I am surrounded by people, I refuse to pick-up where I work and use POF as an alternative to my other obvious choice. I have pretty good success here. Frankly, I am a little shocked to hear (read) you say that POF is just the alternative for losers that can not cut it in the dating world. Online Dating is simply the next step in the evolution of dating. Simply another option to put yourself out there.

Yes she said has to have a nice butt... You guys are simply becoming too serious. It was an attempt at levity. She probably does like nice butts (who doesn't?) but i am sure that you will not be required to fax a pic of your butt over for her to scrutinze before she decides to meet!! Come on.

In the end though I do believe that the responses to this thread have gone a LOOONG way to proving her point. She pointed out that you do not get to date because it is 'your turn'. You date because you manage to attract someone that is interested in you romantically. For some that is easier to do because they are born incredibly good looking. For the rest of us, we need to put some effort in to attracting a partner. grooming ourselves as best we can, developing social skills, developing finacial independence, developing and maintaining our bodies so that other people might enjoy looking at it! By all means are all of those things required to date, but they are all attainable by just about everyone. To decide not to work on any or all of those things means that you lessen your level of attractiveness to the opposite sex. Period. I could be a lot skinnier (and I could use a hair cut), I could have devoted more time and effort to higher education. I still could. I choose not to concentrate on those things and understand that for some folks those things are requirements. I simply understand that I will not be long term dating those women. It's not a big deal. It is crazy that the OP actually asks for things that she is offering a potential partner (Thus wants in return) and people are literally angry about it.
 JeetKuneDo
Msg: 107
Posted: 7/27/2011 5:42:51 PM

I can tell you that I work in an extremely busy bar and I am surrounded by people, I refuse to pick-up where I work and use POF as an alternative to my other obvious choice

I have worked with the public also. Exposure to a lot of people. We all know bars are basically a "meat market". Do you live in a cave once you're not at work? I don't go out, I bike a lot and I work at home. I still talk to people and even women try to get my attention. What would you do if there was no internet? Good grief the why nice guy fails has been done many times.
 The_Standard_Model
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2011 5:57:45 PM
This has become stupid. What the OP was nicely trying to say is that there is a reason that some men are able to actually date, date often and date attractive women. There is a reason that some men are able to attract women without working overly hard to do it. Even the ones that are short, or do not have a full head of hair or are less than good looking. YOU CAN TOO!! But it requires some actual WORK on your end. I means that you shop for clothes that look good on you and are cut to fit your frameinstead of buying clothes because they have your favorite team on them. It means that you get a hair style that best frames your face instead of a hair cut that cost fifteen bucks. It means that you pick up current books so that you are able to discuss them, it means that you develop some social ability so that when you talk people find you CHARMING and WITTY, not just nice. It means that you perhaps develop an interest in something other than NASCAR. You do not have to become an art history major, but perhaps attend a few art exibits or visit a few art galleries. Maybe learn a few skills that would impress a woman like how to cook (as in cook well) or perhaps learn wine. You know things that would give you a little bit of wow factor. Something that you can go out and show that you took the time and effort to learn and develop something in your life. Women find that stuff attractive.
Whining about the things that women find attractive because you do not feel that you fall into those catagories does not help you in the least. In the end you can believe that the OP is a gold digger (maybe she is and maybe she ain't) but the idea that she put forward is that if you want to improve your dating eperience then improve yourself.
 totalazzhole
Msg: 109
Posted: 7/28/2011 8:14:54 AM

Even the ones that are short, or do not have a full head of hair or are less than good looking. YOU CAN TOO!! But it requires some actual WORK on your end

in short, conform to the majority and not be yourself.. OK, I get it. be who Hollywood & the tabloids /popular culture say you 'should' be..be phony.

can someone please explain their definition of the difference between a job & a career?? does a career mean you define yourself pretty much by your occupation, whereas a job you do for the money without necessarily 'loving' it? the liens would seem blurry in some cases. I'm sure there aren't many 'careers' many people would do for free, no $ because they 'love' it so much..unless they are volunteering because they are independently wealthy.

or does it mean to some something one requires a college or grad degree to do?
a blue-collar person cannot have a 'career'?
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 110
Posted: 7/28/2011 9:05:16 AM
in short, conform to the majority and not be yourself.. OK, I get it. be who Hollywood & the tabloids /popular culture say you 'should' be..be phony.

That is not what that poster was saying. He stated that clothing and hair styles that are most flattering to the individual purchasing/wearing them vs things such as sporting team tee-shirts and such. He's saying to make an effort to be attractive vs the attitude "This is me. Take it or leave it." (And I totally agree with him. Effort makes a HUGE difference in how marketable or not someone is to the majority of the opposite sex. This applies to women and men, in my opinion.)

can someone please explain their definition of the difference between a job & a career?? does a career mean you define yourself pretty much by your occupation, whereas a job you do for the money without necessarily 'loving' it? the liens would seem blurry in some cases. I'm sure there aren't many 'careers' many people would do for free, no $ because they 'love' it so much..unless they are volunteering because they are independently wealthy.

or does it mean to some something one requires a college or grad degree to do?
a blue-collar person cannot have a 'career'?

I don't know what other people think the difference is, but to me? A career is what someone is doing rather than job-hopping non-stop out of disinterest or boredom. Being a McDonald's manager is a career, someone who works in a Toyota assembly plant for many years is very likely a career, farming or agricultural-based business can be a career, making beer is a career for some, owning a landscaping company (even a one-man(women) operation) is a career, running a day-care center is a career for some. House painting can be a career. I'm sure some think in terms of white collar as more "career" than blue collar, I don't happen to agree. Any time someone chooses a route of employ, and sticks with it ~ I'd likely refer to that choice as their "career." Geez, even strippers are career girls (albeit, many would disagree with me on that note) if that is how they plan to live their life and the work they prefer to do. I think in terms of longevity vs. occupation when I think of "career." JMO
 andy1961
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Posted: 7/28/2011 9:57:04 AM
surely comments like this arent making any contribuition to this thread.? it seems to be an ongoing trend with this poster.you realy need to get somthing done about the large chip you have on your shoulder my dear.!!!

It's amazing because is the THIRD time in the last three weeks you've come on to a thread to single me out with your would be insults without making an actual proper contribution to the topics involved.

Do me a favour and stop following me about like an old penny, you silly old woman.
 *Just Jim*
Msg: 112
Posted: 7/28/2011 5:28:35 PM

lol...I leave you guys alone for 45min and you get all worked up. Kind of funny.

Relax, it's just a little internet forum.

She is right, you guys got sucked in as she only played[trolling] with your emotions.

IMO,let this dog lie,cuz it's not worth it..... jmo
 The_Standard_Model
Msg: 113
view profile
History
Posted: 7/28/2011 9:25:04 PM

you guys got sucked in as she only played[trolling] with your emotions

Well she may or may not be trolling, but she brings up a valid point which many posters here have shown to not undersatnd. You are attractive because you manage to attract the other person, not because you will not cheat or will be a good listener. The people complaining about the OP are simply whining because they do not feel that they meet the bare minimum that the OP has flatly stated that she requires and instead of shrugging their shoulders and moving on have a chip on their shoulder that they can not compete. The truth is we will not be attractive to everyone. The OP and EVERYONE ELSE has the right to go after what they feel that they want to get. Their success or lack of will show how reasonable they are in their search. Again the OP does not ask for a sing;e thing that she herself does not bring to the table. I find it amusing that people would complain that she would not be interested in dating them because they have difering views on what is important in life!
For the sake of argument, let's pretend that the OP is actually a gold digger. So what? Is she suppossed to change because you want her to? There are plenty of men that are wealthy, but lack the social skills or the looks to get a woman with out resorting to their finances. They want her, she wants them. What is the problem?
In the exact same way that the people here are not interested in dating women that do not fit their criteria (Too heavy, too angry, nothing in common, or what have you) the OP is free to pursue what she wants. If a person admitted to heavy drug use and complained that they could not get dates or attention from people that do not do drugs everyone would completely understand. They have a different view on life and what is important and acceptable. Guys, you are not ENTITLED to a date with anyone. The physical counts. Get over it. the Financial counts. Get over it. Looks count. Get over it. No one is OBLIGATED to date you, but many people will date you if you present yourself as best that you can. If you chose not to make that effort then understand one of the sacrifices that you make is that women will find you less appealing. period.
 The_Standard_Model
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Posted: 7/28/2011 9:39:18 PM

Are you serious? Did you read what I wrote? Even those that do not conform to the social norm of attractive can be very successsful dating. By being the Best that you can reasonably be many women will find you appealing. By dressing to look YOUR best. By dressing in what compliments YOU (As in some folks look good in skinny low rider jeans and some do not. Those that do should take advantage of the trend. Those that do not should avoid it), even if it is not 'trendy' you present yourself as your best, instead of just "Here I am take me or leave me."
If you want to be STUPID enough to believe that looks only matter to YOU when you are looking through the profiles ON POF Then fine, but understand that looks matter to everyone. Showing that you are trying to reasonably look your best is big. And guys, perhaps no one has ever clued you in, but looks are different to women than they are to men. While we want women to be HAWT. Women judge men's looks on an emotional level. You can be fat but still be 'big and strong'. You can have a big nose but it may remind them of a favored uncle that made them feel special as a child. you may have a head full of grey and a widow's peak, but they will think that you look, distinguished. Hairy is often seen as a sign of being a 'He man'. Even men that are balding show tremendous confidence by simply shaving their heads bald. Many, Many, MANY women see that as a sign of confidence in themselves and are attracted by that!!
If you don't get it, I guess then you just do not get it. But understand that as long as you are not 400 pounds and smell like three day old salami, you stand a fighting chance at dating. If you are not successful, it is something that you are doing not everyone else that is the problem.
Look, TheBig Flick, You go on about conforming as you pose in your Justin Bieber hair cut and have a profile that is straight out of the PUA text book. You even quote the chorus from Biff Naked's song I love myself today!! But you want to talk about conforming to Hollywood? are you serious? You have obviously read some PUA stuff somewhere and are trying your best to imitate it, so son... you are conforming!! Your profile is LINE by LINE PUA technique. Unless you simply picked up a little bit somewhere and do not understand who PUA technique works, it's about FOLLOWING A PROVEN PATTERN OF SOCIALIZING THAT HAS SHOWN TO ATTRACT WOMEN. And you my friend are trying to follow it. Poorly, but trying to conform to the Mystery Method/Cocky-funny style.
 CumberlandIsTheBestLand
Msg: 115
Posted: 7/29/2011 12:10:10 AM

See:

1. Nope, but I'm working on it. I'm saving up my government checks for a round of college classes.

And lest you think that your metaphor careened swiftly over my head, I totally get what you're saying. I'm constantly working on improving myself to be more desirable to the women around me. Your list served to validate my efforts.
 JeetKuneDo
Msg: 116
Posted: 7/29/2011 1:07:41 AM

Look, TheBig Flick, You go on about conforming as you pose in your Justin Bieber hair cut and have a profile that is straight out of the PUA text book. You even quote the chorus from Biff Naked's song I love myself today!! But you want to talk about conforming to Hollywood? are you serious? You have obviously read some PUA stuff somewhere and are trying your best to imitate it, so son... you are conforming!! Your profile is LINE by LINE PUA technique. Unless you simply picked up a little bit somewhere and do not understand who PUA technique works, it's about FOLLOWING A PROVEN PATTERN OF SOCIALIZING THAT HAS SHOWN TO ATTRACT WOMEN. And you my friend are trying to follow it. Poorly, but trying to conform to the Mystery Method/Cocky-funny style.

Well I use the techniques but not all of them, I used them before i heard about PUA. Frankly I didn't even use it to pick up women, it's my own version to get rapport with people.

Dude you're taking this shit too seriously. I love a healthy debate but you're just getting too emotional.
 Darkbutcomely
Msg: 117
Posted: 7/29/2011 5:47:53 AM

So tell us little miss princess, why are you still single? Oh wait you have been here since 2007 I guess walking around looking down your nose at everybody isn't working too great after all.

With such a lovely personality tell me WHY are YOU still single?????
 abelian
Msg: 118
Posted: 7/29/2011 6:21:25 AM

I don't know what other people think the difference is, but to me? A career is what someone is doing rather than job-hopping non-stop out of disinterest or boredom.

The meaning the writer intended is irrelevant so debating the meaning of carrer is also pointless. Writers are supposed to write for the audience, so what matters is the way the intended audience interets the word ``career.'' I assume her intended audience is men, since she's not seeking women to date and quite a few men have interpreted that word negatively. I did and I fit her requirements. Regardless of what she meant, she didn't have the ability to say what she meant. That, in itself, is not a plus.

People who have a lot going for them in many ways are going to look for a partner who is like them. Why should they settle for less?

They shouldn't, but most people are so concerned about appearing ``superficial'' that they try to hide what they really want behind words and phrases that they think will achieve the same objective by making rather dubious connections between things. That's why her use of the word ``career'' is being read as ``well off'' and other things associated with money, just as the phrases, ``financially stable,'' ``financially secure'' and others are. I could equally well decide to read ``career'' to mean anything I want it to men so that it fits me if I wanted to contact her and didn't mind making it up as went along. If you don't want to settle, then go right to the bottom line and ask for it.

Superficial just means something someone doesn't have but for that reason believes it shouldn't be important. Using words like ``career'' is only asking to be misunderstood and intereprted negatively by the people you might want to attract. If what she said was clear, there wouldn't be so much disagreement over what she meant and the hostility she's receiving is a direct result of what she said being interpreted negatively. If she (or anyone else) is having trouble finding someone who fits her requirements, perhaps she ought to consider the audience to whom she appeals by the way she advertises. Getting what you want depends on getting your message across.
 Darkbutcomely
Msg: 119
Posted: 7/29/2011 6:27:48 AM
The most passive aggressive, bitter, manipulative men who feel they are entitled to a date just cause they are a nice guy. Nice is very relative term. Ask them what is nice and you get open doors and knows how to treat a woman and listens. REALLY??

For the sake of argument, let's pretend that the OP is actually a gold digger.

What is the term for guys who use their money to try to a woman's attention?? I have told men I am not interested only to get a email listing all the things they own. I had one tell me he is a millionaire. Yea sure dude. Regardless of you all that money in the bank I am still not interested.

If you don't get it, I guess then you just do not get it. But understand that as long as you are not 400 pounds and smell like three day old salami, you stand a fighting chance at dating.

NAH. If you look a hot mess I am sorry you cant nice your way into my heart or pants. Since the beginning of time we (women) have been taught to be a good mate we have to be attractive (take good care of your body and looks) personable (able to talk about a various of subjects and be a excellent listener) nice (sweet to be around not only to the guy you are dating but his gawd awful mother) pure. In recent time we have added independence ( never needing a man financially for any thing).
Welcome to modern dating guys where YOU too have to be.... attractive ( Come on just cause you mother tells you how handsome you are.... DO you really think that translate to other women thinking your are hot???) , personable ( CAN you speak on a subject out side of sports?? I mean do you truly listen or sit there thinking of your answer), nice( yea open a door) and pure (which means with men NOT perverted, NOT sending semi nude photos of yourself to random women begging for her to reciprocate) . I know all this is crazy. How dare they expect more from you other than YOU are nice. EVIL STUCK UP B***HIES
 casey0413
Msg: 120
Posted: 7/29/2011 6:58:17 AM

Well, this left me aghast. I sincerely hope that is NOT why most people are on a dating site! I see it as a contemporary way to meet like minded people. Nothing more, nothing less.
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 121
Posted: 7/29/2011 7:23:39 AM

Well, this left me aghast

Didn't intend to aghast anybody with my response to what that OP had just previously said..
You see I did use qualifiers.. Most.. Many.. Always use qualifiers! Many people don't..
Sometimes it takes simple, strong, somewhat exaggerated statements to get a point across in a debate, esp when an OP applies a hit and run tactic..

There are many reasons why people are on dating sites today and fully elaborating them would take many more threads and has.. With more to come..
That's what the Forums are for, healthy expression, communication and debate of issues/positions..
 valenciacityx
Msg: 122
Posted: 7/29/2011 11:41:03 AM
Yes, you might be nice, but…
…are you educated? Bachelors, Masters, Speak another language near native
…do you have a career instead of a job? Already one retirement pension, working on my second 'career' track, overseas.
…do you go to the gym to look healthy and attractive? Gym occasionally, I prefer running and home version of Wii
…did you invest the money for a nice haircut? Crew cuts are always cheap, the High and Tight even more so.
…have you built healthy social skills? What I consider healthy, you may consider antagonistic, but it serves it purpose well.
…have you found your own place to live? sold the house, sublet the condo, own a cabin in Montana, headed oveseas - a nice Dacha is on the shopping list
…is that place clean and nicely furnished? It was furnished like an REI showroom- minimal, sparse, functional, mobile - I am rarely home- I am not the 'nesting' type.
…have you avoided stupid mistakes - you mean like this one ?!?!!? yes, early and often.
 kkrueger23
Msg: 123
Posted: 7/29/2011 1:14:08 PM
You have to be picky or else you're just wasting your time in the long run. No one wants to be in a relationship with someone they are not compatible with.
 totalazzhole
Msg: 124
Posted: 7/29/2011 1:27:26 PM

What is the term for guys who use their money to try to a woman's attention?? I have told men I am not interested only to get a email listing all the things they own.

not sure..sugar daddy wannabes maybe? what is the term for women who are soo proud that they have breasts (making them unique among, oh about 3 billion other females on Earth) that they feel they must flaunt them and have them on display as much as possible, to attract attention?
 The_Standard_Model
Msg: 125
view profile
History
Posted: 7/29/2011 4:02:13 PM

Well I use the techniques but not all of them, I used them before i heard about PUA. Frankly I didn't even use it to pick up women, it's my own version to get rapport with people.

Dude you're taking this shit too seriously. I love a healthy debate but you're just getting too emotional.

Not emotional at all (other than annoyed). But that was in reference to your response...

as in you were stating that conforming in society is somehow wrong or a problem. I was pointing out where YOU conform in the dating world and seem to follow Hollywood's example yet were dissing that behaviour. Conforming to the general norms of society does not make you fake nor phoney... unless you are saying that your Justin Bieber Haircut makes you phoney or that using PUA technique makes you phoney (which it actually does!) .

By the way, how many profiles are you running? You responded to me with a different profile.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > the nice guy...are you willing to put in the time?