Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Facebook      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 oldsoul_new1911
Msg: 18
FacebookPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)

I would like to hear other opinions of weather or not they think Facebook is a good thing or a bad thing for dating....

Personally, I think any communications technology that isn't used to facilitate face to face contact is a bad thing for any relationship when there isn't a bonded relationship developed first.
As dating, you are trying to get closer, and technology is just used to keep people at a distance.

I think if you don't really want to be in relationships, you just want validating drama that you can create in your own head, and an easy means to interpret things in order to keep yourself out of relationships, then facebook and technology are really great for you.
 LargoMaNonTroppo
Msg: 19
Facebook
Posted: 7/24/2011 7:31:11 AM
Is it just me? How on earth would you use Facebook for dating?

I have family, friends, and professional acquaintances on my FB. It's a great networking tool for musicians, allows me to know when colleagues have concerts coming up etc, and is a great way to stay in touch with people I might see rarely.

Also a great way to put information or requests out quickly to a large group of people. But dating? How does that happen?
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Facebook
Posted: 7/24/2011 9:18:58 AM
Given what I have read here, and heard about from my sons who use it, I would say the answer to " is Facebook is a good thing or a bad thing for dating" is:

Yes, and also no. Like all human tools, it depends on how good and wise you are about using it. Like all human tools, the tool itself, does NOT make the task accomplish itself, the HUMAN still has to direct the use of the tool.

My personal opinion of Facebook, is that it's way too difficult to 'wrangle' to be useful to ME as a tool. I can't figure out how to send messages to existing friends easily, I can't get rid of the notices that say I haven't attended to some notice or another that pops up, I had to do several hours of research to get a SINGLE photo link I didn't like off of my FB page.

My kids grew up with it, and either tolerate the nonsense it generates in their lives, or actually know how to do things with it. If it weren't for the fact that they prefer FB to regular email for me to reach them, I would have nothing to do with it myself.
 LargoMaNonTroppo
Msg: 21
Facebook
Posted: 7/24/2011 9:23:00 AM
I find FB easy enough to use, but I don't understand this adding of people if you dont know them. If you know them, then you would have been dating them if the interest was there, no?
 AlreadyTakenBootboy
Msg: 22
Facebook
Posted: 7/24/2011 10:56:30 AM
what if the person your dating doesn't have a facebook?
 Easygoin68a
Msg: 23
Facebook
Posted: 7/24/2011 12:55:23 PM
Jen - really? Freaks on PoF. That is just crazy talk..LOL
 Lolita_LeBron
Msg: 24
Facebook
Posted: 7/24/2011 1:09:58 PM

personally, I would never use Facebook. You will encounter all types of freaks there.

The only people that would go on your FB would be the people you DO know. The only people on my FB are people that I grew up with as we get together every summer in August for a reunion. Also, my family members are also on there.
 namrael
Msg: 25
Facebook
Posted: 7/24/2011 6:36:38 PM

It's not just you. I don't get it, either.
 Laha Math
Msg: 26
Facebook
Posted: 7/24/2011 7:09:15 PM
Facebook made it hard to look for dates when they stopped letting you browse people's profiles. Girls complained about getting too many unwanted messages. Facebook was created to let university students stay in touch socially and what university students do most socially is date. FB lets you join groups so you can meet people with common interests and that can lead to dating. I suppose it depends on where you spend the most time and have the most contacts and interests. For someone without a FB network PoF would be better for making dates. I don't spend any time in dating discussions on FB. That's specific to PoF. I think FB is a good thing for datiing, in it's own way.
 mellie1979
Msg: 27
Facebook
Posted: 7/24/2011 8:44:59 PM
i didnt mean using it for dating i meant in conjunction with dating, to get to know someone to see what they are up to on their facebook.... I dated a guy that posted all the kinky stuff he did on facebook lol he was not smart enough to know that everyone on his list can see what he is going into some of the apps etc.....

When i questioned him about it he said he didnt know what it was and that he wouldnt click on that stuff again and then he learned really quickly how to delete his posts lol
 newbeginnings460
Msg: 28
Facebook
Posted: 7/24/2011 10:21:48 PM

I treat Facebook as I do my own circle of friends -- I'm picky about whom I let in.

I have yet to meet anyone that I have dated long enough to consider adding as a friend to my Facebook page.

When I do...I'm not sure I would be comfortable with it.
 fastdogphotog
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Facebook
Posted: 7/25/2011 4:34:13 AM

It's not just you. I don't get it, either.

It's been a while since I read the article I mentioned in my post, so my recollection may not be spot on. But I believe it recommended perusing your friends' "friend lists" for people you found attractive. Then, you could either try and flirt with them through their posts on the mutual friend's page, or ask the mutual friend to put in a good word / introduce you.
 goatdriver
Msg: 30
Facebook
Posted: 7/25/2011 6:28:37 AM
I found the kids on my block that I grew up with & the kids from my grammar school on Facebook which is a good thing but I would have reservations about anything else other than finding old friends.
 NewToTN9
Msg: 31
Facebook
Posted: 7/25/2011 10:00:37 AM
Don't have a FB account. Work in the industry and know what personal profiling they do behind the scene and for what purpose. Buyer be aware!
 irishgirl524
Msg: 32
Facebook
Posted: 7/25/2011 10:58:32 AM
I use facebook as a tool to keep up with family and friends, I have never had a thought of using it as a dating sight. No one is on my facebook that I am not related to or friends with. So no I would not recommend mixing them together.
 femaleconnection
Msg: 33
Facebook
Posted: 7/25/2011 1:45:10 PM
There are applications you can add to your profile, that will advertise your face to others interested in dating. I tried them a few times and connected with a few decent people...like any matching service, it is buyer beware.

The apps at that time were called 'are you interested' and another was called 'social me'. Your profile pic and a small write up would appear in other users searches and you would indicate if you were interested or not.

OR, you can search based on sex, region, age and what thier relationship status is regardless of an application add-on and just 'poke' people you think you'd like to hear from and hope they poke you back. Lots of people use FB to meet new people.

I stopped using FB to try and meet new people and only add people that I already know in real life these days. Giving a stranger access to who your mother, sister, brother is etc can be dangerous nowadays...you say no thank you to a date request and suddenly your relatives are getting nasty emails from a reject...not cool! Did a major cleanup a year ago and life is much simpler now.
 Casper66
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Facebook
Posted: 7/25/2011 2:27:26 PM
Not sure about dating on facebook, I keep mine strictly for friends and family, but I've heard it's hard on relationships/marriages. I think some people spend too much time on facebook and other social networks, posting too much personal information and not enough time and effort in communicating with their partner and working on the relationship, others are open and have no problems, depends on the people involved and their level of trust.
 good_catch77
Msg: 35
Facebook
Posted: 7/25/2011 10:33:30 PM

Far more on face book, yet I will agree, POF has its share of the freakoids. And they call these guys QUALITY.

Dang man bashers lol...I could say the same about the quality of women on fb too. Showing a lot more skin than they should for a boyfriend much less a stranger whom just grazes her profile when using a search function.

Any hoots, I've been approached a lot more in the form of comments, emails or even likes from women on fb than I've ever gotten here. So far I've amassed a few dates. I am very opinionated and if you like it great if not I could care less. I am a writer at heart and I love playing devils advocate. A lot of times people don't even know it unless they saw my forum posts on here. So I spread the wealth with FB. Often commenting on status's and pages (like a radio station page that does a question of the day).

I do have a few people on there that I don't know and only added them because I thought they was hot...but I'd say I know about 85% of my friends on there. Maybe not great friends but from HS, work, current/past jobs, college, family and just mutual friends.

Like I said I have had a few dates from face book and for the most part the results have been the same. But with my job taking up too much of my life some social gathering is better than non....

Best of luck to everyone
 Dynames1188
Msg: 36
Facebook
Posted: 7/28/2011 9:38:58 PM
At some point in every conversation I've had on dating sites, I'm asked for my facebook, and each time i've given it. However, now i'm starting to have second thoughts about doing that.

I know that one girl i met on an online dating site said she would no longer add any dates to facebook until they've gone out more than twice (after i met her of course, but that could be good or bad... lol).
 Kariann71
Msg: 37
Facebook
Posted: 7/29/2011 5:23:02 AM
I reserve my Facebook strictly for friends and family. I usually have to get to know someone pretty well through here before I'll add them to my Facebook. I have way too much personal stuff on there to share with strangers. I'm not going to show my 80's big hair and acid washed jeans pic to just anyone you know...
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Facebook