Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > Have you reached SOME of your goals?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Easygoin68a
Msg: 20
Have you reached SOME of your goals?Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Goals achieved -

healthy awesome kids - check
stable and rewarding business, 14 years running - check
retiring in 2 years - check
nice house - check
travel - 24 countries later - check
expensive luxury car - check, and turned back in. waste of money
refusing to say peeps, other than when referring to your post or easter - check

a companion - hmm, still working on that:)

fun post topic for discussion, thanks for posting it
 BlueEyedGuy1974
Msg: 21
Have you reached SOME of your goals?
Posted: 7/30/2011 10:34:41 AM
I've never been one to set goals for myself. When I was younger I never thought about what I would want my life to be like when I'm 36 like I am now, or even 40. Even today I don't think about what I want like to be like when I'm 50.

I've always been the type of person who enjoys taking life one day at a time. To me the journey is far more important than the destination.
 valenciacityx
Msg: 22
Posted: 7/30/2011 6:00:46 PM
would I do it over again,
Yep, except this time I retire overseas, Everything else I would do again
Leave home at 15, Join Military at 16, graduate at 19 with Bachelors, off to DLI for Russian - Out to the Desert for 3.2 wars, into Europe for 4 ethnic 'struggles' and retire at 36; yep. Snipped at 18, yep - no regrets. Not getting married during the twenties, thirties, and early 40's yep, yep, yeppity yep.
Living overseas the rest of my life - Damn F'n skippy.
still would have been nice to have the Cobra by now.... maybe there is one in a barn somewhere in Europe.
 boarderdad50
Msg: 23
Posted: 8/2/2011 7:35:40 AM
How many "mid life crisis's" are we allowed?

Goals are ever changing and to some extent I never had any really hard goals other than live live to the fullest and help as many others do the same along me way. I have done okay with that and will continue to strive for more.

I succeeded a lot of the customary goals very early on to realize its not all its cracked up to be and done with worrying about that. I had the family, owned my own house, had my truck, and ran my own business by 24. The only things I care to worry about now is the family, not really into locking myself down to big bills again or one house for that matter.

I am reflecting a lot more on my life to this point and what I want looking forward and am considering some changes for sure, not cause I did not reach any goals but we grow over time and want different things. My youngest will be 18 when I am 42 and at that point I would like to have my life in a position to scale everything back and volunteer overseas full time.
 Fifi47
Msg: 24
Posted: 8/2/2011 9:11:35 AM
When I was in my 20s I thought for sure that I would be married and have a child by age 30, when it had not happened by that point I thought it would by age 40, then at 40 decided that maybe I was supposed to be single all my life, and went about accepting the happy with who I am where ever I am philosophy (bloom where I am planted), now at soon to be 54 I find it both amusing and sad that people tend to feel sorry for me at times they say because I have not been married or had children. I sometimes feel sorry for them because I cannot imagine how they get everything done without the help of their spouse and have no time or money left for themselves after taking care of children and spouse's needs, etc. My ideas of marriage are not the same as theirs, so maybe I have been blessed to have met the men i have met, when marriage was not the thing to do with them at the time. I still want to go to Europe, learn to play the piano and speak Spanish fluently, all of which I am trying to acheive within the next few years. Meeting a compatible man would be icing on the cake.
 moun10dew
Msg: 25
Posted: 8/2/2011 9:39:31 AM
Well...I just graduated from college in May at the age of 40. That was a huge goal for me. I have a great job so that's another goal. I did figure by now I'd be married and have at least one child of my own by now....living in a nice house. Those things have not happened. HOWEVER....it doesn't bother me as much as it used to. Meeting someone that wants to be with me as much as I do them would be nice...but I've survived 40 years without. I had some other stuff to say, but it would take away from the OPs topic so I'll just leave it at that.
 TruckerPohl
Msg: 26
Posted: 8/4/2011 7:39:39 AM
Married/divorced....done
Travel the world....done
College edmacation....done...could use more though, a pottery class sounds fun
Having a wonderful son...done
Changing careers a couple of times....done
lots of friends....done
Bought a house/sold a house....done
Owning lots of cars...done

Finding soul mate....not so much
 kinley68
Msg: 27
Posted: 9/2/2011 3:16:36 PM
Hi KIWI, good topic. I have many goals for myself, marriage isn't now and has never been one of them. Marriage happens when you fall in love and all of the other necessary components exist, it actually shouldn't be considered the natural progression of things. But it is; many feel there life will end if they are not married by age 30 or 40. And that is why we have a divorce rate in the country of over 50%. When I was 20 I imagined myself happy at 40, and I am. I didn't imagine myself married, single, a teacher, a social worker, a nurse, a professor...no details - just happy. I have a great amount of respect for marriage, and it is an honorable goal. However, women should learn to be independent, emotionally and financially, before they ever consider marriage. I might not be married, but I do have someone I can count on, lean on, and turn to; myself. Remember, you're only lonely if you're not there for you. Sound like you're going great. Cheers! God Bless all the independent women everywhere!
 rlynninmo
Msg: 28
Posted: 9/3/2011 11:54:40 AM
My goals are way different now than in my 20's. I didn't reach any of my goals that I set in my 20's. But I have different goals now and I guess and differnt picture in my head. Happily ever after could mean lot things. Right now my HEA is rasing happy , healthy well adjusted kids & finishing Vet tech school! When I was youn i wantwed to be a hair dresser.. Oh well Sometimes God has different plans!
 substance01
Msg: 29
Posted: 9/4/2011 6:31:44 AM
began life wanting to become an air hostess for air nz...ended up a tax agent for IRD lol..had the doting loving husband and two great kids...he died sudden, ended up with a stray cat instead.. loved university and wanted to stay...started an accounts biz in its place ...wanted to travel ...and achieved this...found the need to surround myself with good friends...wouldnt trade them for the world (maybe lindt chocolate ;o) instead)..aimed to appreciate my humble beginnings and the people who make me me....am doing this now

so when life throws us lemons...lets continue to make L & P ;o) xox
 bds1976
Msg: 30
Posted: 9/9/2011 10:05:13 AM
Yeah. I've settled into my career and have been at the same company for over 10 years. Slowly working my way up the ladder. I own my own home and am in the process of updating and renovating it. And last year I bought the model car I've wanted for years. I've traveled to some of the places I'd like to see. I've done many of the things I'd like to do.

There's always more to the list, but yeah, I've accomplished the big things in life that I set out to do. Well, except one....
 madtanker
Msg: 31
Posted: 9/10/2011 1:10:04 PM
I have achieved more than I thought I would ever be able to do although I set some lofty goals. The things that elude me however, are the things that achieving those goals was to lead to... I have a college degree (A couple actually), I have been married, and even have worked on the family bit. The results of these things (a job, a family, stability) are that which eludes me...
 pinkoleander
Msg: 32
Posted: 9/10/2011 1:58:18 PM
I'm 30 years old and I've never had a gf or been kissed. That's really bad. I came on this site just to make friends and 95% of the women on here just ignore me.

I guess as time passes, kids are becoming more and more advanced, especially sexually. I guess it's down to bad family values being taught to the kids of this generation.

Sorry to read about your ex cheating on you after 8 months of marriage. Men can be pigs at times. Some men think between their legs instead of their brains.

Don't feel let down that you didn't become a mother at 30. It's better to wait for the right time rather than rush something because of a particular age. I'm sure you'll make a great mum.

That is kind of bad sweetie. Take yourself to profile review and see if they can whip you into shape. I believe in reaching goals. I was shocked to read this thread and realize that I've met all my goals and can now just work on damage control. Never looked at my life from that perspective so thanks to the OP. Perhaps I've been too hard on myself. I suppose all that's left is to focus on more of the fun stuff like travel.
 Tervis
Msg: 33
Posted: 9/10/2011 2:58:02 PM
Wow suresh that is bad your whole situation that is I made it all the way until I was 19 lucky some girl asked me out and saved me. Don't worry about the lack of responses on here though girls just do not respond on here no matter what you say that often.

You really should just forget about this online stuff and just go talk to real girls. I did this after my first girlfriend I just asked out one random girl everyday. Some of them will defiantly say yes the trick is not to be bummed out by the ones that say no. It does not even matter if you are really bad at talking... I was.

Girls will turn a guy down for all sorts of silly reasons. I know more than one girl that will only date blond haired blue eyed men go Nazi's go Hitler. Go figure. I just keep going and guess what plenty of girls out there that are not like that.

I had a friend that was 37 with this same problem he could not ask a girl out. We actually brought him to a hypnotist. Why? I was in a show once and a hypnotist at the end of an act told me to feel good about myself and I actually did for 3 or 4 months before it wore off. We had him hypnotized to ask girls out and feel confident and he did lol. Even after it wore of it did not matter he was over his lifelong hangup anyway.

To sum this all up just do whatever it takes to go out their and make a move. Forget about POF or any other dating site there just a cop-out for people who want to feel like they are trying for the most part. Yes there are girls on here and yes one of them may meet you, but you really need to do something more serous than sit and wait.
 SweetLilGTP
Msg: 34
Posted: 9/11/2011 7:01:00 PM
I've reached, and maintained, "all" of my goals except for the level of travel In would like to do; and a law degree (with clients assured).

The law degree part is very much on track; and the Muskoka Cottage/office will work also.

The travel part; is not where I would like it to be at this point in my life.
 TeeToTheEyeToTheEm
Msg: 35
Posted: 9/12/2011 12:08:56 AM
I've hit a ton of my goals simply in the past 4 years. The first one was paying off all my debt by working a ton of overtime and being a Warcraft recluse for a year and a half. I used all the money I would have spent on shots in a bar or fancy dinners to put toward my debt and, since the game was only $15 a month, I was able to wipe my debt out completely. After that I got a new pickup with all that free money I had and I am months away from paying it off and establishing some credit. Major step for me.

My next goal was getting my ejamication. I knew I couldn't work with steel for the rest of my life and the economy snatched my high paying job from me and forced me to reshuffle the deck. Thank goodness for worker retraining and Pell grants, tax breaks, and Commisioner Approved Training allowing me to go school and change my career. Now I am well into my schooling and have found a way to continue on to my Bachelor's online. There is no guarantee that I will have a job when I am done due to the state of this country, but that doesn't mean I give up trying. I believe in at least giving myself a chance. When a person gives up, they lose their chance.

So I guess once I get to that point, or maybe at some point in between, I might reach my final goal in life and that is to find a good woman that understands me and is happy to be with me. I would feel comfortable knowing that I would have all my responsibilities covered and bring a clean slate to the relationship so we could just focus on living and enjoying life.
 3xsacharmsotheysay
Msg: 36
Posted: 9/12/2011 10:45:02 AM
Well I just turned 49 a few days ago and still challenging and setting goals for myself. Its just not about an education, marriage and children. One thing I learned after the divorce of my 23 year marriage was that along the way I had lost a part of me. Yes there are many things I can be proud of. 3 great well balanced kids, building a successful business that today supports roughly 40 families but when its all said and done its the small personal goals and overcoming diversity that I find are my proudest achievements. 8 years ago I was diagnosed with fibro myalsia and my sister has MS. I was terified that I would end up in a wheel chair. I was always active up to that point and played a lot of sports when younger. I couldn't even walk up my stairs or lift my arms past my shoulders. My health affected all aspects of my life. It was after my divorce that I was able to regain my inner strength and re-prioritize. I needed to get back to my true self. As painful as it was to get started, I picked up cycling and this year was my second 180 mile charity ride for MS and I also competed in my first triathlon. Its these small accomplishments that I am most proud of and hope to continue to experience. Being my best physically tranfers over to my relationships with my children and my outlook on life. Don't let an age define where you should be in life. Keep pushing yourself forward and expect nothing but your best!!!
 KIWI3nme
Msg: 37
Posted: 9/13/2011 11:48:34 PM
I have been reading your posts ppl and I just wanted to say WTG everyone! Its nice to see some success stories and also some that are very relateable as well to others.

Sometimes life gets in the way of our dreams, but as long as we take them out of the drawer, dust them off and look at them fondly and say "SOON" we will achieve them someday....it may not be now, but dont ever let them dissapear as they are too important to forget.

i have my "bucket list" and every year piece by tiny piece im crossing them off.
 sportsgirl7700
Msg: 38
Posted: 9/14/2011 6:47:57 AM
Making lemonade and waiting for the next chapter to unfold :)
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > Have you reached SOME of your goals?