Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Can someone explain why pot smoking is acceptable in adults      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 26
Can someone explain why pot smoking is acceptable in adultsPage 2 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
I have a friend who's in his early 60's who smokes pot...whenever he pulls out a dubie on the golf course I ask him to take it away from me...the reason isn't because of the BS effects...it's because it's illegal and could dramatically effect my life should I be caught with someone else smoking pot....Frankly, shoot heroine for all I care...just not around me.
 ToThySelf
Msg: 27
Can someone explain why pot smoking is acceptable in adults
Posted: 7/30/2011 3:48:51 PM
Thank you for the education. It is true that most of my friends don't even smoke cigarettes let alone pot. I guess I am on the "health fanatic" side (just came back from jogging) and don't want to "pollute" my good health. With that said I shouldn't be judging anyone else. Its their life, not mine. People think I am fanatical about health so .... they are judging me too. lol! It doesn't matter - we all judge whether we want to or not.

P.S. I do not put this in the same category for medicinal purposes.
 MsMicki
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 7/30/2011 3:49:26 PM

With nearly a million Veterans coming back from our oil wars suffering from PTSD and Traumatic Brian Injuries, it is unconscionable to deny them the most effective treatment for PTSD found. There are a lot of Vietnam vets alive today because they found a substance that works after the talk and anti-depressant therapies of the VA failed miserably. New Mexico was the first state to acknowledge the medicinal benefits of pot for the treatment of PTSD.

and now the VA is refusing to give our Veterans their narcotics if they test positive for pot.
I know 3 Vets that told the VA to keep the damn Lortabs.....they'd much rather self medicate with marijuana.
Amazing how they will load our Vets up on all these psychiatric drugs, screw with their dosages so they are on a constant emotional rollercoaster......yet say pot is the problem
 DartmouthRunner
Msg: 29
Posted: 7/30/2011 4:14:27 PM
[quot] Thank you for the education. It is true that most of my friends don't even smoke cigarettes let alone pot. I guess I am on the "health fanatic" side (just came back from jogging) and don't want to "pollute" my good health. With that said I shouldn't be judging anyone else. Its their life, not mine. People think I am fanatical about health so .... they are judging me too. lol! It doesn't matter - we all judge whether we want to or not.

Anything in moderation is not "polluting". Frig, I run all the time and enjoy the occasional joint. It doesn't affect my health one bit. It's like having the occasional Big Mac. Having one once and a while wont instantly make you fat and drop dead of a heart attack.

We all "pollute" our bodies one way or another.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 7/30/2011 5:26:30 PM
If you are running in an urban environment, particularly near highways, and in cities with ozone alerts, as I often see, you are doing far more damage to your lungs than a couple of tokes here and there. We've had several code orange days in the city below recently, where just breathing the inverted air has healthy people coughing. Yet they don't outlaw running in such conditions. Go figure. I see a lot of urban runners frequenting the most polluted roadways to show off their healthiness and bods. Are you okay with legislation mandating running with a gas mask?

I highly recommend Peter McWilliams' book on the subject of criminalizeing consensual/victimless crimes in America.
http://www.amazon.com/Aint-Nobodys-Business-You-Consensual/dp/0931580587

Excellent history lesson, great quotes from great thinkers, and much food for thought.
 DartmouthRunner
Msg: 31
Posted: 7/30/2011 5:48:36 PM

If you are running in an urban environment, particularly near highways, and in cities with ozone alerts, as I often see, you are doing far more damage to your lungs than a couple of tokes here and there.

Thankfully, where I live that is not an issue here (yet). But I rather non-urban running anyway. There are less distractions and you don't have to worry about being ran over by someone not paying attention behind the wheel.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 7/30/2011 7:29:27 PM
For the VA it's now a state by state issue maybe...
http://www.armywtfmoments.com/va-says-smoke-weed-its-medicine

Federal law still trumps common sense and the most effective treatment options.
 sabaidi
Msg: 33
Posted: 7/30/2011 10:13:36 PM
just as beauty is wasted on our youth so is getting high

if drugs are to be restricted it should be by age . if you
survive fifty or sixty years of the balderdash monkey shines
and tomfoolery of modern technological society any and
every drug should on offer free of charge
 gardenias2
Msg: 34
Posted: 7/31/2011 1:59:43 AM

just as beauty is wasted on our youth so is getting high

if drugs are to be restricted it should be by age . if you
survive fifty or sixty years of the balderdash monkey shines
and tomfoolery of modern technological society any and
every drug should on offer free of charge.

thanks sabaidi! great perspective. in southeast asia, the elderly chew beetle nut to ease the aches and pains. they all seem so happy.
 MsMicki
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 7/31/2011 2:16:45 PM

Out of curiousity, are they withholding just pain medication or psychotropic medication prescribed for mental illness as well?

All I know is any drug considered a "narcotic".
 Tim0066
Msg: 36
Posted: 7/31/2011 5:24:31 PM
First of all, you're one of those people who believe the lies told to you about marijuana.

No one in all of history has ever died from marijuana (thousands of years)

Chew bubblegum while driving, you can blow a bubble that covers your face and crash into a telephone pole... does that make it dangerous to chew and drive a car?

Yes!!! omg lets make gum illegal!

Spilled hot coffee has caused more car accidents then marijuana... should we make coffee illegal?

Cell phones have caused more car accidents then marijuana, should we make cell phones illegal?

Marijuana isn't the problem... the people who crash while high would have crashed without being high... simple as that.
 Tim0066
Msg: 37
Posted: 7/31/2011 5:57:37 PM
Valma,

Also, anyone who gets behind the wheel of a motor vehicle who has been drinking, smoking pot, or doing any kind of drug should be severely punished and their license taken away. No question.

You can drink alcahol and drive a motor vehicle in EVERY STATE in the USA... thats why its called a "LEGAL LIMIT" and why you have to exceed that limit to be considered "intoxicated".

The laws about "Intoxication" and driving apply to everything...

I bet you've had one too many coffee's in the morning before that would make you unsafe to drive (Caffiene intake).

Odds are you've driven yourself home from the dentist at least once in your life... You've driven while under the influence of "drugs"

Have you EVER exceeded the speed limit (will enjoy hearing you lie and say no) That makes you a danger on the road.

We should take YOUR drivers license away and punish YOU severely. "NO QUESTION" as you put it.

Care to edit your post?

I know a few "potheads" who have no college degree but are far better at their carreers then those who aren't potheads yet are college educated... because those non potheads are just plain idiots.

Drinking a couple drinks over a few hours, intoxification for alcahol is immediate, you just don't see it from your point of view because you are intoxicated. Saying pot is immediate and alcahol is not is false. They both have their levels of intoxification.

As for not liking pot smokers they bore you... drinkers are obnoxious and rude as well as violent.

need a ((hug))?
 totalazzhole
Msg: 38
Posted: 8/2/2011 8:38:04 AM

I guess I am on the "health fanatic" side (just came back from jogging) and don't want to "pollute" my good health. With that said I shouldn't be judging anyone else. Its their life, not mine. People think I am fanatical about health so .... they are judging me too. lol! It doesn't matter - we all judge whether we want to or not.

a 'health fanatic' and you choose to live in NYC? yeah, that place is sooo "healthy", I am sure..smog, traffic, stress..not to mention the increased chances of being mugged/carjacked..(not good for health to be cracked over the head & /or shot/stabbed, etc.) ..all 'health fanatics' should live in large,crowded, polluted, dangerous urban centers..? lol
 hoosierace
Msg: 39
Posted: 8/2/2011 9:09:12 AM
Stoner Stupid’ Myth Goes Up In Smoke;

This post is excerpted from this week's forthcoming NORML weekly media advisory. To have NORML's media alerts and legislative advisories delivered straight to your in-box, sign up here.]

The consumption of cannabis, even long-term, poses few adverse effects on cognitive performance, according to clinical trial data to be published in the scientific journal Addiction.

Investigators at the University of Melbourne and the Australian National University, Center for Mental Health Research assessed the impact of cannabis use on various measures of memory and intelligence in over 2,000 self-identified marijuana consumers and non-users over an eight-year period. Among cannabis consumers, subjects were grouped into the following categories: ‘heavy’ (once a week or more) users, ‘light’ users, ‘former heavy’ users, ‘former light’ users, and ‘always former’ — a category that consisted of respondents who had ceased using marijuana prior to their entry into the study.

Researchers reported: “Only with respect to the immediate recall measure was there evidence of an improved performance associated with sustained abstinence from cannabis, with outcomes similar to those who had never used cannabis at the end point. On the remaining cognitive measures, after controlling for education and other characteristics, there were no significant differences associated with cannabis consumption.”

They concluded, “Therefore, the adverse impacts of cannabis use on cognitive functions either appear to be related to pre-existing factors or are reversible in this community cohort even after potentially extended periods of use.”

Separate studies have previously reported that long-term marijuana use is not associated with residual deficits in neurocognitive function. Specifically, a 2001 study published in the journal Archives of General Psychiatry found that chronic cannabis consumers who abstained from the drug for one week “showed virtually no significant differences from control subjects (those who had smoked marijuana less than 50 times in their lives) on a battery of 10 neuropsychological tests. … Former heavy users, who had consumed little or no cannabis in the three months before testing, [also] showed no significant differences from control subjects on any of these tests on any of the testing days.”

Additionally, studies have also implied that cannabis may be neuroprotective against alcohol-induced cognitive deficits. A 2009 study by investigators at the University of California and San Diego reported that binge drinkers who also used cannabis experienced significantly less white matter damage to the brain as compared to subjects who consumed alcohol alone.

For more information regarding the impact of cannabis on brain function, see NORML’s factsheet ‘Cannabis and the Brain: A User’s Guide,’ here.

http://networkedblogs.com/kVlna

totalazzhole
Msg: 40
Posted: 8/2/2011 9:39:42 AM
^^

"If the world was left to what most of the people on earth are capable of, we might very well still be using horses and carriages..

hmm, and if so, then we would not be fighting two massive wars for oil, costing the lives of thousands of our young people in uniform...not to mention the lives of hundreds of thousands of people in those areas..(Iraq, Afghanistan)..

the air, especially in major urban centers, NYC, LA, and other large American/European & worldwide cities might not be so choked with smog..and there might not be daily gridlock in these places..there might not be ugly oil wells/drilling platforms all over, spewing poisonous , noxious liquids and ruining places like the BP Deepwater Horizon blowout in the Gulf of Mexico, and many others..

The famed Black Forest in Germany might still be filled with "LIVING" trees, rather than dying ones..

we wouldn't have jet warplanes capable of traveling thousands of miles in an hour or 2 and dropping extremely deadly weapons, ICBMs carrying nukes, etc., etc.

people might walk more and be in better health, not so grossly obese if most didn't drive/ride a motor vehicle everywhere they went..

see, pretty much every type of 'progress' has 'downsides' , as well..

I am NOT an advocate of using pot or OTHER drugs..but we have personal choice..freedom..how many thousands have used pot sometimes and NOT destroyed themselves, still 'achieved'?

how many have ruined their lives with alcohol? I'd guess at least an order of magnitude higher than for pot..?

no rage for the scourge of alcohol? Demon Rum?
 totalazzhole
Msg: 41
Posted: 8/2/2011 9:40:09 AM
^^

"If the world was left to what most of the people on earth are capable of, we might very well still be using horses and carriages.

hmm, and if so, then we would not be fighting two massive wars for oil, costing the lives of thousands of our young people in uniform...not to mention the lives of hundreds of thousands of people in those areas..(Iraq, Afghanistan)..

the air, especially in major urban centers, NYC, LA, and other large American/European & worldwide cities might not be so choked with smog..and there might not be daily gridlock in these places..there might not be ugly oil wells/drilling platforms all over, spewing poisonous , noxious liquids and ruining places like the BP Deepwater Horizon blowout in the Gulf of Mexico, and many others..

The famed Black Forest in Germany might still be filled with "LIVING" trees, rather than dying ones..

we wouldn't have jet warplanes capable of traveling thousands of miles in an hour or 2 and dropping extremely deadly weapons, ICBMs carrying nukes, etc., etc.

people might walk more and be in better health, not so grossly obese if most didn't drive/ride a motor vehicle everywhere they went..

see, pretty much every type of 'progress' has 'downsides' , as well..

I am NOT an advocate of using pot or OTHER drugs..but we have personal choice..freedom..how many thousands have used pot sometimes and NOT destroyed themselves, still 'achieved'?

how many have ruined their lives with alcohol? I'd guess at least an order of magnitude higher than for pot..?

no rage for the scourge of alcohol? Demon Rum?
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2011 2:58:05 PM
As far as achievement goes, 3 of our last Presidents were pot smokers....Oops..never mind.
 gardenias2
Msg: 43
Posted: 8/2/2011 5:15:25 PM
it would be interesting to see a pro-pot argument for daily *relaxing* use, that isn't based on comparing it to alcohol abuse.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2011 6:21:17 PM
It would be interesting to see a post where liver damage, impotency, inclination toward suicide, drymouth, and a thousand other side effects from pharmaceuticals were compared to the side effects of merely smoking pot.

If you are a victim of PTSD, whether from rape, war, or violent acts of the gods and man, you have no idea what the theraputic effects are when all other options have either failed or made conditions worse. I have known people who nearly committed suicide after being subject to the experiments of big pharma, and too many more who succeded. Is it a sin, to survive decades longer than you would have under "legal" but far more deadly and profitable drugs? Is it a crime to help your dearest friends survive chemo and nausea, wasting away from lack of appetite, by providing proven relief from such symptoms, or allieviating pain, where Oxycodone did nothing and true relief was finally achieved? Again...compassion and morality over the arbitrary and political "legality". Some people love to see suffering in the name of "legality" and reality. For those I must say Fu you if you've never seen or helped someone through the worst times of their live by doing what is moral and right.
 MsMicki
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2011 7:57:10 PM

What too many people don't realize is that university is not just about 'training' for career; it is about developing the mind and achieving your potential. The argument that there are all these pot heads out there that are smarter than university graduates is a myth. Total BS. Something people who have no idea what it is like to have a very fine mind like to say because they don't understand or they are jealous of others.

Obviously you are as clueless as the OP!
You might be quite surprised at how many of the university graduates smoke pot at the end of the day to unwind.
You might also be quite surprised at how many of the university professors smoke that pot too!
I have a very good friend that is an Anthropology professor......guess what......she smokes pot!
One of my best friends from high school....who smoked pot all through high school and college.....and still does to this day..........is a Nuclear Scientist!

I could go on and on with many more examples.......but it won't matter to you and those of your mindset......because instead of having an open mind on the subject........you'd much rather spout BS about something you know nothing about.
 MsMicki
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2011 9:15:46 PM

Such defense of a nasty little drug. Isn't pot smoking supposed to make people mellow? It's not working for you.

more assumptions about something you know nothing about!
Just because I am not against pot smoking.......does not mean I smoke pot!

I was addressing myself to the idea of young people who miss out on educational opportunities becasue of getting side tracked in drug use, including pot smoking.

and I was addressing the idea that many aren't missing out on a damn thing just because they smoke.

amazing how one interprets facts as anger
 daynadaze
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2011 10:54:27 PM
Other than being illegal for whatever reason, I don't see any difference than a person who takes a couple of hits off a pipe every day than someone who has a beer or two every day or a doughnut or watches soaps or whatever gives someone some pleasure. I don't know why pot is illegal yet whiskey isn't, odd laws we have sometimes. Now if he was blitzed out of his mind everyday, then I could see why you might feel holier-than-thou, but a couple of hits of pot, what's the big deal? Personally I don't like pot or alcohol but someone who doesn't overindulge and is careful about when and how they do their thing, doesn't bother me.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 8/3/2011 1:43:05 AM
I would venture to guess that far more accidents have been caused by people DWI...Driving While Ingesting doughnuts and spilling coffee, than have been caused by pot smoking. The US leads the over-developed world in obesity at the rate of 34%, thanks in no small part, to our addiction to sugar/fat/salt food type things. These substances affect peoples' health and career opportunties, cost society as a whole in picking up the tab for indigent health care and picking up the crumbs after DWI accidents.

If we insisted on prohibition of SFS foods for our safety, there would be an SFS underground, people would be jailed for possession, profiled because they looked like users, and a lot of money wasted all around because human nature is what it is and the only real victim was the user who did so on their own.

I don't buy that the US culture is "more complicated" than the Netherlands culture. Yes, we do have a highly organized crime problem in the form of the Prison Industrial Complex that feeds off prohibition . Cops, lawyers and judges along with local good ole boy governments are working in concert to steal people's property, rights and liberty because they can. The moronic "war on drugs" has also led to the militarization of our police forces that now resemble small armies of robocops with seige mentality, more than your friendly neighborhood officer of yore. All sorts of federal money is thrown at the forever war. Incarceration is big business and the Prison Industrial Complex is inherently corrupt and greedy. But we can give them doughnuts...or threaten to withhold if the cops don't adapt to the end of prohibition..Bad Cop..no Doughnut.

One of the most overlooked side effects of youth and pot is the compelling need for adults to lie and exagerate when talking to the kids about pot. The kiddos soon figure out they have been lied to about pot and then are forced to wonder what the h3ll else adults are lying about. Once you blow that trust, it's difficult to regain cred.
 RubyWaxxx
Msg: 49
Posted: 8/3/2011 3:05:58 AM
It is delusional to think marijuana is harmless, especially for youth. Psych wards are filled with young schizophrenics whose conditions were triggered by marijuana. There have been many scholarly articles in publications such as The American Journal of Psychiatry explaining the link. I myself have seen this happen.
And of course it is also a depressive. And why would you encourage another reason to smoke?
However, I do believe it should be decriminalised. It's a war no government will win; it's too entrenched in our cultures.
As far as adult pot-smokers go - I'd say almost all of them have been smoking all their lives. Pot is not a physical addiction; anyone can easily stop, if they choose.
As far as driving goes...how can pot be a mind-altering substance yet doesn't affect driving?
 motown cowgirl
Msg: 50
Posted: 8/3/2011 4:01:01 AM
^^^ it is delusional to think water is harmless, especially for youth. hospital wards are filled with young children and bloated floaters whose drowned and half-drowned conditions were triggered by large quantities of water. there have been many scholarly articles in publications such as The American Journal of Mucketymuck explaining the link between water and drowning. water is very dangerous, and why would you encourage people to immerse themselves in it, so swimming pools must be criminalized.

i wonder if the OP, et.al. realize that if it weren't for pot, we would only have a fraction of the GREAT COMEDY we have today, JAZZ -- one of the finest musical ideas ever conceived by the mind of man -- would simply not exist in its current form, people living with chronic pain would have to take man-made pharmaceuticals that dissolve their livers while making them uncontrollably cranky and obese, and the entire world would look like pasty white bread reruns of the Lawrence Welk Show.

just sayin.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Can someone explain why pot smoking is acceptable in adults