Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Can someone explain why pot smoking is acceptable in adults      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 RubyWaxxx
Msg: 51
Can someone explain why pot smoking is acceptable in adultsPage 3 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
^^babe, I LOVE pot. If I didn't care about depression, poverty, obesity and lung cancer, I'd spend the rest of my days lying under a palm tree on one of the Gili Islands in Indonesia (no police there) stoned out of my tiny mind, listening to jazz and thinking about what I'm going to eat next.
But, at the end of the day, it's just another shitty drug.
 motown cowgirl
Msg: 52
Can someone explain why pot smoking is acceptable in adults
Posted: 8/3/2011 4:47:38 AM
But, at the end of the day, it's just another shitty drug.

that's your opinion and there's plenty o' room in the universe for both the people who subscribe to it and the people who don't. the only way it becomes a problem is when people start mistaking opinions for facts and then try to shove them down the throats of everybody who disagrees with the force of presumptuous authoritarianism and draconian law.

[i am not suggesting that you were doing any "shoving" :) ]
 motown cowgirl
Msg: 53
Posted: 8/3/2011 5:10:01 AM
I'm not interested in looking them up now, but I've seen them in the past and don't remember their showing that pot has a lot of positive effects on the human body.

of course you're not interested in looking them up. anyway, looking things up isn't really required, because you only want to cite the findings you saw that support the opinion you already have.

^^^^^^^^Opinion, not fact.....

i thought it was pretty clear that i was stating my opinion. that's why i didn't believe it was necessary to attach a lot of disclaimers about it. how long did it take you to figure it out?

Fact? There is no way of knowing what jazz or comedy would be without the existence of pot.

thank you for demonstrating your firm grasp of the obvious. i was beginning to wonder.

and now... you may have the last word by taking another shot at me while missing the point entirely. go ahead, you know you want it.
 OMG!WTF!
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 8/3/2011 6:01:14 AM
I guess if it were legal it would be "acceptable". Right now though your pot likely comes from some pretty devious sources. California and Hawaii have huge problems with outdoor grow ops destroying wildlife, contaminating surface water sources, soil/ground contamination and underground water tables. Just about everywhere has a problem with indoor grow ops destroying someone's asset and investment and making electrical rates that much more expensive for everyone. People are genuinely hurt by this. I didn't really give a f'ck until I read about how animals are effected by environmental damage and even how some people were caught using bears to gaurd their crops. Now I think it sucks so until that whole uncomfortable problem gets resolved, smoking up is a selfish, harmful, destructive act. In a world of selfish, destructive acts it may seem minor. But it's one that's easily avoidable. Legalize it.
 totalazzhole
Msg: 55
Posted: 8/3/2011 7:58:21 AM

I was addressing myself to the idea of young people who miss out on educational opportunities becasue of getting side tracked in drug use, including pot smoking. My goodness, you are an angry person. Such defense of a nasty little drug. Isn't pot smoking supposed to make people mellow? It's not working for you.

yes, the many, many thousands of people, who according to you are "geniuses"; yet "throw their lives away" by using a "nasty little drug"

something here does not compute..how could anyone be SO brilliant & a "genius" yet decide to let a 'nasty little drug' take over their life, and 'throw it away' ?

if they are so brilliant and a 'genius' they cannot figure out it's not a great idea to use this
'nasty little drug' ? maybe they are geniuses in their own minds..or people bright in school/academia but not anywhere else?

whose judgment is it that someone has 'thrown their life away' if they do not decide to conform with 'normal' societal expectations and go to grad school and publish articles (many useless) in obscure academic journals? what if they are actually HAPPIER doing something else with their life?

I know "happy" does not, or 'should not' enter into it..by all means conform, you can decide to 'be happy' in the NEXT lifetime?

oops we only get one, you say?
 totalazzhole
Msg: 56
Posted: 8/3/2011 8:03:02 AM

ight now though your pot likely comes from some pretty devious sources. California and Hawaii have huge problems with outdoor grow ops destroying wildlife, contaminating surface water sources, soil/ground contamination and underground water tables.

LOL, all agriculture does all of those things..so does "development" you know building HOUSES & BUILDINGS win what used to be wilderness.. but all that is OK ?

80 years ago much of S. CA & the L.A. area was wilderness areas & orange groves

now they have "paved paradise & put up a parking lot.."
 abelian
Msg: 57
Posted: 8/3/2011 8:39:12 AM

Adults do this?

Adults drink alcohol and smke cigarettes, so I'm not sure why adults smoking pot is a bolt out of the blue.
 inthroughtheoutdoor
Msg: 58
Posted: 8/3/2011 9:43:10 AM

Psych wards are filled with young schizophrenics whose conditions were triggered by marijuana. There have been many scholarly articles in publications such as The American Journal of Psychiatry explaining the link.

And with all due respect Ruby (and you know I mean that sincerely:), there are many studies that contradict those studies and many more studies that have debunked the studies you mention entirely. I counter argue (from personal experience and first hand observation) that there are psych wards (and streets) filled with young people who are trying to self medicated/escape the horrors of undiagnosed mental disorders/illnesses.

My daughter was not quite a teen when she first started exhibiting signs of schizophrenia - there were no drugs, no alcohol, no trauma, no abuse, no unhappy or unhealthy family situation, no family history that we know of, her grades were excellent (gifted student/program), and her social life/skills were over the top. My daughter was a bright extremely likable and lovable child (and I'm not just saying that because I'm her mom). And then she hit puberty...

Anyway, I just deleted the rest of my post because in the end, people will believe what they believe - I just know that in our case, all marijuana did when she did start to imbibe later in her teens is to further confuse the issue because from that point on, that's all people (ie: teachers, social workers, doctors, psychiatrists, etc.) concentrated on and everything from then on became about and was blamed on marijuana.

Meanwhile our daughter was quite literally starting to lose her mind, yet (her use of) marijuana became the sole and entire focus.

I agree that marijuana use, specially in teens, can often mask, confuse or make difficult to distinguish between "normal" teenage behavior/angst and what could be a more serious problem.

And I'm not arguing that marijuana may in some cases make the symptoms worse and that in some rare cases, it may sometimes "cause" a temporary state of psychosis.

But to say that schizophrenia is caused or triggered by marijuana is as backward (to me) as when it was thought up until just a few years ago that things like schizophrenia, autism and a number of other mental illnesses and disorders were caused by a frigid mama.
 RubyWaxxx
Msg: 59
Posted: 8/3/2011 2:22:31 PM
Inthroughtheoutdoor: (gee I love that nic)..
I didn't mean pot causes schizophrenia, but it can trigger psychotic episodes - especially the pot of today, with its incredibly high THC levels. I mean, especially in hydroponically grown. Or in various strains specifically grown for that reason.
And it especially can trigger psychotic episodes in young users who might be prone to schizophrenia.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/8354747/Cannabis-doubles-risk-of-psychotic-episodes.html
PS: I think what happened with your daughter is those professionals didn't have a clue what was going on and is was easy to blame marijuana...
All I know is I tell my daughter "if you want to try pot, wait until you're over 21". That probably is useless as the brain's not fully wired until 25 or something, but at least it's better than nothing. And surprisingly she's listening..she's happy enough to get her thrills from the odd alcoholic drink at parties..may it stay that way for a while.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 8/3/2011 3:44:59 PM
I appreciate your caring for the youth Rubywaxxx..

Hopefully you are applying due diligence to fighting off the very real and far more harmful effects of the ADHD drug industry affecting school and teacher policies.
http://www.cchrnsw.org.au/pdf/cchr_adhdguidelines.pdf

And I sincerely hope you are examining and active in getting the toxics out of school construction and maintenance, studying and active on addressing issues surrounding dirty electricity fields in schools, and the causes and prevention of student depression, bullying, and the other extremely harmful assaults on young bodies and brains.

I'm not a fan of kids smoking anything out of peer pressure or rebellion or depression, but the current treatment regimes are failing miserably and schools are turning into psychiatric wards for the Pharmaceutical Industry.
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 61
Posted: 8/3/2011 3:53:38 PM

...I didn't mean pot causes schizophrenia, but it can trigger psychotic episodes - especially the pot of today, with its incredibly high THC levels. I mean, especially in hydroponically grown...

How a pot plant is grown has no bearing on the THC levels present in the plant, only the strain of the plant can affect this and unless your kid has some bank he or she is not getting the good stuff from a local dealer.

Although if people really cared what happens to kids brains they would take a look at what sugar does to it.

I would hazard a guess when comparing Pot & Sugar and the impact they have on today's youth, sugar does far more damage.
 trinity818
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 8/3/2011 4:02:32 PM
I read a newspaper article a few years back about a large study done on marijuana use and lung cancer. The results were quite surprising.

"What we found instead was no association at all, and even a suggestion of some protective effect."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/25/AR2006052501729.html
 RubyWaxxx
Msg: 63
Posted: 8/3/2011 5:24:30 PM
^^In Australia, pot is mixed with tobacco to make a joint. I know it's smoked straight in the States. Maybe that's why there wasn't an association with lung cancer.
 GrandmaBooBoo
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 8/3/2011 5:53:39 PM
I haven't smoked pot for...well...well over 20 years; don't really want it done in my house, but I don't criticize those who do smoke it. I, in fact...support it's legalization; and yes....I think you are living in a cave.
 Pingshooter
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 8/3/2011 6:02:50 PM
I spent 30+ years in street law enforcement. I did not partake, do not partake.

Legalization of marijuana will NOT cause society any more ills than what we cause ourselves now with marijuana being illegal, or a minor misdemeanor (depending on amount in possession).

We will never, ever, win this so called "War on Drugs." For the most part, waste of money.
Let's lessen the battle (gag), by taking this out of it. Other countries have..and have not suffered a crashed society. Some will partake..some won't. No noticeable difference has ever happened.

Are some drugs bad..hell yes.
Is marijuana a gateway drug to those bad drugs? Hell no.
Is marijuana addicting? No scientific study has shown that.
Can you overdose on marijuana? No scientific study has shown that.
Can you do stupid things on marijuana? Yup, just like beer, hard liquor..and someone will.
But, is it the marijuana that did that, or the partaker, who didn't stop when they were to wasted to realize they needed to stop..like the alcohol drinker?

Most law enforcement agencies have pretty detailed, step by step procedures for booking someone..it is lengthy, and takes the officer off the street. When that happens, people are still calling in family fights, bar disturbances, burglaries, car accidents, a whole myriad of crimes..and other officers are having to take a double workload..because some cop is booking someone..changing the arrested persons life forever..because of a joint? A couple of fingers full in a baggy?

The booking, the tow bill for the auto, the jail, the bail bond, the defense attorney, the lost job, lost career, the lost family...all due to the stigma associated with a "drug bust".

We have some priorities messed up.
 abelian
Msg: 66
Posted: 8/3/2011 7:06:54 PM
There have been many scholarly articles in publications such as The American Journal of Psychiatry explaining the link.

Can you cite one?
 matchlight
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 8/3/2011 9:43:54 PM

And it especially can trigger psychotic episodes in young users who might be prone to schizophrenia.

I hadn't heard that, but I know it often triggers the first panic attack in people who suffer from panic disorder. Some other substances can also do that, but marijuana may be the most common one.
 RubyWaxxx
Msg: 68
Posted: 8/3/2011 10:13:19 PM
Abelian:
http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/abstract/135/10/1213
http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=18930479
and Australian research published in the Archives of General Psychiatry shows this:
"The latest research pulled together data on 20,000 patients and drew on more than 80 international studies dating back 30 years.
And it's definitively linked cannabis smoking and earlier onset of psychosis.
The chief investigator of the study is Dr Matthew Large who's from the University of New South Wales and the Prince of Wales Hospital."
http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2011/s3132596.htm
 matchlight
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 8/3/2011 11:14:00 PM

Legalize it.

As long as federal laws prohibit it, state laws which allow it don't mean much.
 RubyWaxxx
Msg: 70
Posted: 8/3/2011 11:58:59 PM
Here's a brief outline of the Australian research, if anyone's interested..
Cannabis link to psychosis
A new study has provided the first conclusive evidence that cannabis use significantly hastens the onset of psychotic illnesses during the critical years of brain development - with possible life-long consequences.

The first ever meta-analysis of more than 20,000 patients shows that smoking cannabis is associated with an earlier onset of psychotic illness by up to 2.7 years.

The analysis, by an international team including Dr Matthew Large, from the University of New South Wales (UNSW) School of Psychiatry and Sydney’s Prince of Wales Hospital, is published today (February 8) in the prestigious journal Archives of General Psychiatry.

In partnership with St Vincent’s Hospital and The George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences, the study set out to establish the extent to which use of cannabis, alcohol and other psychoactive substances affects the age at onset of psychotic illnesses such as schizophrenia.

Cannabis is the most widely used illicit drug in Australia with 33.5% of the population reporting use at some time, according to the 2007 National Drug Household Survey. Some 18% of all secondary school students aged 12-17 reported using the drug at some time in their life, according to the 2004 Secondary School Survey. (UNSW’s National Cannabis Prevention and Information Centre.)

Building on several decades of research, the finding is an important breakthrough in the understanding of the relationship between cannabis use and psychosis, Dr Large said.

A number of previous studies have found an association between psychosis and the use of cannabis, alcohol and other psychoactive substances. However, the aim of this study was to specifically show the extent to which this is caused by cannabis use alone, he said.

The current findings support the view that cannabis use precipitates schizophrenia and other psychotic disorders, perhaps through an interaction between genetic and environmental disorders or by disrupting brain development, the team notes.

“The study re-analysed the results from 20,000 patients with schizophrenia or other psychotic illnesses from 83 previous studies. The study used meta-analysis – a modern statistical method – to show that an earlier onset of severe mental illness among substance users is a result of cannabis use, and cannot be explained by other factors such as alcohol use,” Dr Large said.

”Results of this study are conclusive and clarify previously conflicting evidence of a relationship between cannabis use and the earlier onset of a psychotic illness, with evidence supporting the theory that cannabis use plays a causal role in the development of psychosis in some patients.”

Dr Large said there was a high prevalence of substance use among individuals treated in mental health settings, and patients with schizophrenia were more likely to use substances than members of the wider community.

“The results of this study provide strong evidence that stopping or reducing cannabis use could delay or even prevent some cases of psychosis.

“The study raises the question of whether those substance users would still have gone on to develop psychosis a few years later.

“However, even if the onset of psychosis were inevitable, an extra two or three years of psychosis-free functioning could allow many patients to achieve important developmental milestones of late adolescence and early adulthood that could lower long-term disability arising from psychotic disorders,” Dr Large said.

“The results of this study confirm the need for an ongoing public health warning about the potentially harmful effects of cannabis.”
 MondoVman
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 8/4/2011 12:10:11 AM
Come on, any post that discusses children's use of Mary J in-whole instead of adult's use (as clearly stated in both the Title and OP) are inadmissible and therefore dismissed.

Don't know whether the off-topic adults herein have or have not smoked too much Mary J in the present or distant past, but to me, the off-topic prose herein is indistinguishable from the effects/perspective of ODD.

I think PS is acceptable in adults. Off-topic rants and brownie-point entreaties ("Hey, heres some off-topic stuff *I* want you to know that *I* know or think") belong in a different thread.
 RubyWaxxx
Msg: 72
Posted: 8/4/2011 1:19:20 AM
^^I don't think it's off-topic to discuss its use in young adults, Mondo, or whether it can affect driving or whatever which way it goes.
The OP didn't specify a particular age group. And older pot smokers were young once.
Anyway, it's not much of a discussion when it's either "yes" or "no" to its acceptability.
 gardenias2
Msg: 73
Posted: 8/4/2011 1:49:26 AM
thanks ruby! there's no question in my mind that marijuana is a potent mind altering substance, and habitual use has a very negative long term effect on the personality.

i know its politically correct to compare smoking a joint to drinking a beer, but theres no comparison.
 RubyWaxxx
Msg: 74
Posted: 8/4/2011 2:56:23 AM
^^I don't agree that habitual marijuana use has a very negative long-term affect on the personality, per se. I think it can precipitate or exacerbate depression in many long-term users. It can also precipitate a psychotic episode in some users.
It's a drug but so are cigarettes and alcohol. Buyer beware, that's all.
 GrandmaBooBoo
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 8/4/2011 8:05:07 AM
I gave up pot smoking yeah many years ago because I looked around at those who had been smoking it on a daily basis for numerous years....and thought to myself...."I really don't need to destroy my brain cells in this fashion". I had no data on which to base my decision other than personal observation. I'm quite skeptical about statistics which claim that marijuana smoking leads to use of harder drugs....there are an equal and compelling number of clinical statistics which report otherwise. Is the marijuana TODAY the same as it was 40 years ago....NO. That, in my opinion is one of the better arguments for it's legalization. You are NOT going to stop it, but by fighting it's legalization we deny ourselves a tax base which could be used to educate folks about ALL drug use.

We don't have too many issues about ADULTS pushing cocaine onto youngsters (Ritalin and Adderal) even though studies have proven that that drug has an of infinitely stronger impact on "future drug use" than does marijuana.

I'm NOT going to smoke it when it's eventually legalized, nor am I'm not going to "approve" of my children or grandchildren smoking it, but I'm not going to have a cow over it IF they do.

By legalizing marijuana our government would stand to increase revenue by billions of dollars per year, CREATE JOBS with the production and distribution of the product, AND....CONTROL the contents of each package. The criminalization of this drug encourages it's illegal growth and distribution which COSTS taxpayers billions of dollars. We scream about cleaning up crime and cutting government spending...but yet we turn our conservative noses up at the logical SOLUTION. We SPEND billions of dollars each year to investigate, prosecute and incarserate people for something that we COULD be making a profit from. In todays news, a 71 yr old man was arrested for running a 1 million dollar a year "marijuana operation" in his basement! It's my understanding that this has become a fairly common practice in middle class America. Obviously there is a MARKET for those who do not wish to associate with the "lower class....cocaine and herion dealers". The problem here is that it creates a new expense and still does nothiing to increase or tax base. After we're finished prosecuting these individuals, we still don't get any taxes on their "income"...because we made them spend it all on lawyers.

Prohibition of alcohol in the 1920s and 1930s CREATED an environment for organized crime to survive and flourish...it did absolutely nothing to drive alcohol out of our society.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Can someone explain why pot smoking is acceptable in adults