Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Can someone explain why pot smoking is acceptable in adults      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 gardenias2
Msg: 76
Can someone explain why pot smoking is acceptable in adultsPage 4 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
^^I don't agree that habitual marijuana use has a very negative long-term affect on the personality, per se. I think it can precipitate or exacerbate depression in many long-term users. It can also precipitate a psychotic episode in some users.
It's a drug but so are cigarettes and alcohol. Buyer beware, that's all.

mind you i'm for decriminization and i don't offer a link at the moment to back up my understanding of long term pot smoking personality damage. however i live in a remote area that has a long history of growing and smoking. its like an isolated amsterdam here and personally i like the freedom.

those of us non-smoking long term residents almost all have the exact same findings about living around habitual smokers. we see a huge difference in the personalities, its night and day to us, its in our language. i hang out with mostly professionals: social workers, psychologists, a composer(who smokes daily) etc... interesting intelligent people and i've have heard the same complaints and observations for 25 years. doesn't mean we don't love them, we simply note the difference in the personalities around us. don't need a report because who's to say researchers could capture all the subleties that make up this complex habitual pot smoking syndrome. i could write a book on the subject.

and as a general rule non-smokers don't date or partner up with smokers here. and if they do, the same reasons for breaking up will be mentioned.

just my opinion folks.

totalazzhole
Msg: 77
Can someone explain why pot smoking is acceptable in adults
Posted: 8/4/2011 2:57:28 PM
here's another good question:

"why is cigarette smoking 'acceptable'in adults? or in anyone that is supposed to be 'intelligent'?

known to lead to/cause a myriad of nasty diseases..reeks terribly, causes fires (many people die due to fires started by smoking in bed/falling asleep, burns holes in clothes, fabrics, causes problems to others who get second-hand smoke, makes homes, clothes, cars reek.. causes fatal accidents & collisions due to inattention/focus on the ciggie and on, and on..

and what 'positive' things does it 'do' for you? does it make you 'high' ? happy?

most smokers I've ever seen look miserable, like Hobbits bent over a foul bonfire, mechanically, robot-like, lifting the evil weed to & from their mouths
 jessica_the_great
Msg: 78
Posted: 8/4/2011 3:02:20 PM
it's just pot. it does no harm. it's only illegal for political reasons. it's kind of naive of you to be so shocked. did you think only children smoked marijuana? lol
 RockinRollMan
Msg: 79
Posted: 8/4/2011 3:13:48 PM
Like drinking, I find it immature when adults smoke pot in excess. I was under the impression that when you got into your mid 20's and above, you were an adult and had responsibilities. I don't try and judge people too often, but the things people do sometimes are really immature and irresponsible. I don't drink a lot, never have though as I find excess drinking to be far too expensive for what it's worth. I know guys who smoke so much dope that are younger then me and their brains are already fried to hell because they decide to smoke a fat one every single day. People want to claim that alcoholics are bad, but in reality drinking excessively is no different then people who smoke weed or cigarettes every single day, it's all doing negative things to your body in one way or another.
 DartmouthRunner
Msg: 80
Posted: 8/4/2011 4:49:49 PM

People want to claim that alcoholics are bad, but in reality drinking excessively is no different then people who smoke weed or cigarettes every single day, it's all doing negative things to your body in one way or another.

I think that goes for anything to be honest. Anything taken to an extreme is bad for anyone's health. No different than people who overeat or over exercise.

The OP was essentially freaking about someone who enjoys a joint a day, no different than someone who enjoys a beer or a glass of wine each day. Which is nothing all that extreme or out of control health wise.
 MondoVman
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 8/4/2011 7:27:42 PM
What precisely is a non-cigarette, as in "I'm a non-cigarette smoker"? Also, why the cigarette posts on a thread about whether adults smoking Mary J is acceptable? Golly gee.
 sml0110
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 8/5/2011 1:28:14 PM
@Malley

I can guarantee you it is not illegal because it is "bad". It's all a part of our failed War on Drugs so they can keep revenue coming in from busting non violent pot smokers.
 DartmouthRunner
Msg: 83
Posted: 8/5/2011 3:26:28 PM
I think it was MSNBC that had a documentary about the U.S. War on Drugs, focusing on pot. It was rather interesting. It was actually fairly balanced for both sides on the subject matter. Explaining right now it is essentially criminals running it and there are people getting hurt in the process.

On the flip side it was pointed out that as long as it is criminalized, only criminals will profit off of the sales of pot. So the illegality of pot works in the favor of criminals in the end...and I'm not talking about the guy who sells it for a little extra cash. Yeah, some get busted in the end, but people wouldn't be running large rings if there wasn't money to be made.

Then on the flip side, it discusses the sheer cost to law enforcement agencies and ultimately the taxpayer associated with this "war on drugs". Clamping down on marijuana growers is costing us billions. When police departments, and everyone else for that matter, is facing smaller budgets...why are we blowing so much money on this? Especially when the law enforcement agencies in the documentary pretty much admitted that they are not gaining any ground in this war, in fact they are losing ground.

Legalize it, regulate it, tax it.
 wokenwoman
Msg: 84
Posted: 8/5/2011 3:49:19 PM
Pot is a plant derived from Mother Nature and is well known to prevent cancer as well as heal many cancers...it is medicinal. The government does not want to lose the "elites" power of the pharmacutical businesses so it remains unlawful...alcohol is a far worse drug!
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 8/5/2011 4:41:01 PM
The real question remains why it is acceptable for adults to continually judge people for non-crimes, and consensual behaviors that hurt no-one else, but make these activities illegal, feed a corrupt system, and hurt millions of people who do not hurt anyone else than themselves...reputedly. Busy bodies. An early respondent noted Gladys Kravitz...Lots of those, messing with people who do what they deem acceptable, moral and necessary against a system controlled by the Church Lady, Big Pharma, the radical right, and many others addicted to far worse things and policies. At least the Libertarians have it right on this one, as do medical professionals, the intelligencia, and olde time wisdom. It's the manipulation that creates criminality where there need be none. If honest science and honest politicians prevailed, this would have been a non-subject decades ago.
 RubyWaxxx
Msg: 86
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Posted: 8/8/2011 6:31:03 AM
If this debate were a matter of public safety and personal well being, our policies in the country would address the side effects of legal drugs, potential for abuse, and cost to society from the expense of both being medicated and not being able to afford emotional and physical pain management. Presenteeism is a growing trend in the American workplace as a large percentage of people show up for work in pain and it affects their work performance. Over 10% of Americans are on anti-depressants. Over half suffer from chronic or recurrent pain. Those percentages will rise as boomers age. As a result of being medicated Americans, a Florida survey showed that 3 times more people die from prescription drugs as do from all illegal drugs. (None have died from pot.)

Another study showed that street drugs kill about 20,000 people a year in North America , but prescription drugs kill about 700,000 annually, making legal drugs the leading cause of death. Drug side effects cause 8.8 million hospitalizations annually, or 28% of all hospital admissions.

Yet, a plant, with no known death toll, is somehow unacceptable as a medicinal option? If we wanted to get serious about substance abuse, our money would be better spent addressing the free ride that Big Pharma has in killing people with impunity.
 totalazzhole
Msg: 88
Posted: 8/8/2011 7:26:49 AM

f you're going to use it, use a vapourizer. Inhaling the products of combustion from smouldering plant material is apparently not what lungs were designed to do.

or better yet, eat it..Pot can be cooked in foods, or butter, brownies, etc. & ingested, avoiding damage to the lungs. also the effects last longer that way so for people using it for actual medical reasons (pain relief, etc.) rather than just to get 'high' ..

I think probably about 90% of those who blather about 'medicinal' uses really just like to get high, but there is that small %ge who do get real relief from it.

like the stoner/head shops that go on *& on & On ad nauseam ...about 'industrial & clothing uses of hemp & how healthy it is to eat hemp parts, hearts and the medicinal uses, etc., etc

give it a rest, we know 95% of your customers just like to fry their brains, lol
 totalazzhole
Msg: 89
Posted: 8/8/2011 7:27:05 AM

f you're going to use it, use a vapourizer. Inhaling the products of combustion from smouldering plant material is apparently not what lungs were designed to do.

or better yet, eat it..Pot can be cooked in foods, or butter, brownies, etc. & ingested, avoiding damage to the lungs. also the effects last longer that way so for people using it for actual medical reasons (pain relief, etc.) rather than just to get 'high' ..

I think probably about 90% of those who blather about 'medicinal' uses really just like to get high, but there is that small %ge who do get real relief from it.

like the stoner/head shops that go on *& on & On ad nauseam ...about 'industrial & clothing uses of hemp & how healthy it is to eat hemp parts, hearts and the medicinal uses, etc., etc

give it a rest, we know 95% of your customers just like to fry their brains, lol
 femaleconnection
Msg: 90
Posted: 8/8/2011 8:34:03 AM
Cooking with it is the way to go...no inhaling carcinogens and you get the benefits of the thc. There are lots of recipes where you can swap cannabutter for any butter...My father couldnt inhale anything harsh when he was dying, but he could eat most things and some special cookies really made his last few weeks on this planet bearable...moreso than any of the drugs prescribed by his doctor. Also gave him enough of an appetite to enjoy his favorite meals towards the end.

I would never condone taking anything that alters thought or relaxes the mind and then getting behind the wheel. There are thousands of people drowsy driving, on prescription drugs that are legal. None of it should be allowed. Take your meds and lie down at home. (legal or illegal)

Many of my friends smoke it for all types of reasons and I support them 100%. If I was retired I would do more publicly to join this fight...but currently I dont think my employer would appreciate seeing me marching for this on the news...lol...but one day I will be! I think it is retarded that it is illegal. I have too many personal accounts of its benefits to ignore it anymore.
 hoosierace
Msg: 91
Posted: 8/11/2011 4:19:22 PM
Feds Side With Marijuana, Move to Dismiss Arizona Lawsuit.

In late May, Governor Jan Brewer filed a lawsuit with a federal court, challenging the legality of the recently passed Arizona medical marijuana bill. While threats from federal officials continued to fill the mailboxes of local governments, the republican governor hoped to capitalize on the uncertainty. In a statement made in May she said, “I won’t stand aside while state employees and average Arizonans acting in good faith are unwittingly put at risk.”

Federal attorneys have now recommended the presiding judge throw out the case. In their 19 page argument, they make the claim that “the Court lacks jurisdiction, and this case should be dismissed.” They assert that the governor’s “complaint presents no actual controversy, instead asking this Court for an advisory opinion as to a hypothetical dispute in which Plaintiffs themselves pick no side but rather resort to a purported disagreement among various fictional Defendants.”

The motion disputes her claim that state employees are somehow at risk, arguing that “they point to no genuine threat that any state employee will face imminent prosecution under federal law.” The document continues on to cite impressive amounts of precedent, finally concluding that the case is not fit for review, and that “withholding review at this time would not harm” any state employee.

Expectedly, the governor’s administration stands by their lawsuit, stating that there is an imminent danger to state employees, as well as medical marijuana patients. It’s a strong argument in theory, with medical marijuana dispensaries at a constant risk of federal raids, but the motion to dismiss is dead on. The lawsuit is indeed completely unfit for court as Arizona attorney Ryan Hurley explained to 420petition. The average consumer has little to worry about, however the growers and sellers run a hefty risk.

However, given the governor’s party affiliation, it is difficult to take her complaints at face value. There is likely an ulterior motive involved, one that hopes to eradicate the pro-marijuana movement, rather than innocently protect Arizona residents. Hopefully the judge will throw out the case, allowing the state to get on with launching what they’ve already gone through the trouble of legally passing.

By: Marijuana News
http://ht.ly/5W7VB
http://blog.420petition.com

PragmaticDoc
Msg: 92
Posted: 8/11/2011 5:42:49 PM
It is acceptable because what right does one person have to say over another for actions with their own body? Whats next I go to prsion cause my tattoo offends you? And using the Illegal arguement is useless. Do you drive the speed limit every single moment you drive? What about turn signals? Cross-walks? How about your taxes? How office supplies from work at your house? These are illegal acts committed thousands of times a second and found acceptable. Now taking it out of your house or driving under the influence are different its not just your body chances are being taken with.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 8/11/2011 5:54:30 PM
Over 2/3rds of crack users are white or hispanic, but over 80% of convictions and jail terms of crack convictions are targeted toward blacks, who more often than other convicts, become slave labor in the white run, Prison Industrial Complex. Trends. Data. Reality. Consensual crime "enforcement" equates to the same old racism with new sheriffs and judges and lawyers. PC...as those who disdain such terms. PC slavery to be utterly honest, should we accept reality.
 matchlight
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Posted: 8/11/2011 6:16:50 PM
Interesting conjecture by the people who wrote this and the lawyer they spoke to. I notice they describe only what the federal lawyers are arguing in their motion to dismiss the suit--that the court has no jurisdiction.

The judicial power of the United States extends only to cases or controversies. That means federal courts can't render advisory opinions--i.e. speculate about how the law would apply a under certain circumstances. They can only intervene when a concrete dispute between parties has developed, and not before.

It would be interesting to see the state's argument, which this article first says is strong "in theory," but then claims is a veiled attempt to "eradicate the pro-marijuana movement." I don't know how recent this article is, or whether the court has ruled on the motion.

It's also interesting that the article never mentions that the Supreme Court already brushed aside California's medical marijuana law several years ago. In Gonzalez v. Raich, the Court held that Congress can use its power to regulate interstate commerce to prohibit the use of marijuana as a medicine--even if it never leaves the state where it was grown. Marijuana is illegal under the Controlled Substances Act, which doesn't recognize any legitimate medical use for it. And the CSA trumps any state law to the contrary.
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 95
Posted: 8/11/2011 6:35:58 PM

Legalization of marijuana will NOT cause society any more ills than what we cause ourselves now with marijuana being illegal, or a minor misdemeanor (depending on amount in possession).

We will never, ever, win this so called "War on Drugs." For the most part, waste of money.
Let's lessen the battle (gag), by taking this out of it. Other countries have..and have not suffered a crashed society. Some will partake..some won't. No noticeable difference has ever happened.

Are some drugs bad..hell yes.
Is marijuana a gateway drug to those bad drugs? Hell no.
Is marijuana addicting? No scientific study has shown that.
Can you overdose on marijuana? No scientific study has shown that.
Can you do stupid things on marijuana? Yup, just like beer, hard liquor..and someone will.
But, is it the marijuana that did that, or the partaker, who didn't stop when they were to wasted to realize they needed to stop..like the alcohol drinker?

Most law enforcement agencies have pretty detailed, step by step procedures for booking someone..it is lengthy, and takes the officer off the street. When that happens, people are still calling in family fights, bar disturbances, burglaries, car accidents, a whole myriad of crimes..and other officers are having to take a double workload..because some cop is booking someone..changing the arrested persons life forever..because of a joint? A couple of fingers full in a baggy?

The booking, the tow bill for the auto, the jail, the bail bond, the defense attorney, the lost job, lost career, the lost family...all due to the stigma associated with a "drug bust".

We have some priorities messed up.

Pingshooter ...

I could not have said this any better.
Coming from an ex police officer, this holds some credence.

When will society learn to prioritize what is truly important.
I say move the money spent so foolishly on preventing pot smoking to monitoring child abuse.
 MondoVman
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Posted: 8/13/2011 3:58:07 AM
^^^Huh? An ounce per month? Must only be talking about the consumption rate of the "sickest" (wink).
An affordable-to-cheap ounce of decent grade in the early 70s easily lasted me six months. Needed to maintain top performance at my job to provide for my family, yanno.
 slybandit
Msg: 97
Posted: 8/18/2011 12:34:17 PM
IMHO, there's a LOT of completely arrant nonsense being thrown around on both sides of this debate.

On the part of the pro-legalization faction, all of those supposed revenues from legalizing-and-taxing marijuana are just silly, I'm sorry.

It's just obvious that the street prices for illegal drugs are entirely a result of their illegality and the risk that creates for the criminals that traffic in them. The cost to produce that stuff bears no relationship whatsoever to the price. It's a weed, and in fact incredibly resilient, and can be grown with considerably less effort than tomatoes.

If it's legalized, the prices would plummet to somewhere around the price of houseplants and use would probably drop, because the financial incentive to supply would largely disappear. And there would in all likelihood be very little net drop in illegal drug trafficking, because drug traffickers are in it for the money, so they'll traffic something else.

And if you think there would be some drug-war peace dividend in terms of cost savings, that's greatly underestimating the zeal of law enforcement and the prison guards unions. They'll just more aggressively pursue other crimes and fill the cells with the same rag-bag of the poor, the ignorant, the downtrodden, the impulsive and the genuinely evil.

Now, on the anti-legalization side, the stuff's only illegal in the first place because of openly racist scaremongering in the form of the Rockefeller laws in NY. It stays illegal because the elected things are not remotely interested in losing votes by appearing "soft on crime" even though almost all of the "hard on crime" policies are generally failures (although if your cognitive blinkers are fitted correctly, you can pretty much ignore evidence in favor of relying on "common sense", which is a nice label for deciding stuff in the face of evidence.) Virtually all law-enforcement promulgated "statistics" concerning the drug trade are pseud0-precise fantasy whose primary function is to justify increased budgets for law enforcement.
 RubyWaxxx
Msg: 98
Posted: 8/19/2011 10:21:12 PM
^^My friend Dave who died last month from lung cancer at 54 must have missed that memo...
 DartmouthRunner
Msg: 99
Posted: 8/20/2011 4:04:05 AM

^^My friend Dave who died last month from lung cancer at 54 must have missed that memo...

Did your friend Dave mix tobacco into his weed like some people do? If so, there is a good explanation why because when doing so, you're essentially smoking the unfiltered contents of cigarette smoke.
 dukesadog
Msg: 100
Posted: 8/20/2011 5:12:34 PM
I noticed that no one mentioned that pot used to be legal before 1922 and it wasn't until the pharmaceutical companies presented a study to the White House under d1sguise from several congressmen representing those firms, regarding the fact that pot was hurting their sales of various muscle relaxers.

That is where it started and still holds true today. The drug companies will more than likely spend huge money to keep the drug illegal, so it can charge you big money or your insurance company. You can bet that any report that comes out will be quickly "stuffed" with bad things and the bad things that can happen to you.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Can someone explain why pot smoking is acceptable in adults