Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Can someone explain why pot smoking is acceptable in adults      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 MondoVman
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Can someone explain why pot smoking is acceptable in adultsPage 6 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
^^^Huh? An ounce per month? Must only be talking about the consumption rate of the "sickest" (wink).
An affordable-to-cheap ounce of decent grade in the early 70s easily lasted me six months. Needed to maintain top performance at my job to provide for my family, yanno.
 slybandit
Msg: 97
Can someone explain why pot smoking is acceptable in adults
Posted: 8/18/2011 12:34:17 PM
IMHO, there's a LOT of completely arrant nonsense being thrown around on both sides of this debate.

On the part of the pro-legalization faction, all of those supposed revenues from legalizing-and-taxing marijuana are just silly, I'm sorry.

It's just obvious that the street prices for illegal drugs are entirely a result of their illegality and the risk that creates for the criminals that traffic in them. The cost to produce that stuff bears no relationship whatsoever to the price. It's a weed, and in fact incredibly resilient, and can be grown with considerably less effort than tomatoes.

If it's legalized, the prices would plummet to somewhere around the price of houseplants and use would probably drop, because the financial incentive to supply would largely disappear. And there would in all likelihood be very little net drop in illegal drug trafficking, because drug traffickers are in it for the money, so they'll traffic something else.

And if you think there would be some drug-war peace dividend in terms of cost savings, that's greatly underestimating the zeal of law enforcement and the prison guards unions. They'll just more aggressively pursue other crimes and fill the cells with the same rag-bag of the poor, the ignorant, the downtrodden, the impulsive and the genuinely evil.

Now, on the anti-legalization side, the stuff's only illegal in the first place because of openly racist scaremongering in the form of the Rockefeller laws in NY. It stays illegal because the elected things are not remotely interested in losing votes by appearing "soft on crime" even though almost all of the "hard on crime" policies are generally failures (although if your cognitive blinkers are fitted correctly, you can pretty much ignore evidence in favor of relying on "common sense", which is a nice label for deciding stuff in the face of evidence.) Virtually all law-enforcement promulgated "statistics" concerning the drug trade are pseud0-precise fantasy whose primary function is to justify increased budgets for law enforcement.
 RubyWaxxx
Msg: 98
Posted: 8/19/2011 10:21:12 PM
^^My friend Dave who died last month from lung cancer at 54 must have missed that memo...
 DartmouthRunner
Msg: 99
Posted: 8/20/2011 4:04:05 AM

^^My friend Dave who died last month from lung cancer at 54 must have missed that memo...

Did your friend Dave mix tobacco into his weed like some people do? If so, there is a good explanation why because when doing so, you're essentially smoking the unfiltered contents of cigarette smoke.
 dukesadog
Msg: 100
Posted: 8/20/2011 5:12:34 PM
I noticed that no one mentioned that pot used to be legal before 1922 and it wasn't until the pharmaceutical companies presented a study to the White House under d1sguise from several congressmen representing those firms, regarding the fact that pot was hurting their sales of various muscle relaxers.

That is where it started and still holds true today. The drug companies will more than likely spend huge money to keep the drug illegal, so it can charge you big money or your insurance company. You can bet that any report that comes out will be quickly "stuffed" with bad things and the bad things that can happen to you.
 MsMicki
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Posted: 8/20/2011 8:35:40 PM

I noticed that no one mentioned that pot used to be legal before 1922 and it wasn't until the pharmaceutical companies presented a study to the White House under d1sguise from several congressmen representing those firms, regarding the fact that pot was hurting their sales of various muscle relaxers.

That is where it started and still holds true today. The drug companies will more than likely spend huge money to keep the drug illegal, so it can charge you big money or your insurance company. You can bet that any report that comes out will be quickly "stuffed" with bad things and the bad things that can happen to you.

Exactly!!
and the same drug companies are charging $300 for 30 THC pills (that insurance won't cover) for chemo patients!!
Pills so low in THC that you have to take 2 or 3 to feel the effects.
That's how I came to see my 60 year old mother smoke pot for the first time!!
The THC pills were not taking care of the queezy, rolling stomach, nor was it giving her the "munchies". But boy, that first joint sure did!
 english lass
Msg: 102
Posted: 8/20/2011 8:51:32 PM
It's not acceptable

It's illegal

Unless it's medical marijuana
 larissan04
Msg: 103
Posted: 8/21/2011 1:11:28 AM
i don't think it is acceptable for responsible adults to smoke pot. for one thing, it is against the law. if you get caught with pot on you, or in your car, you are headed for an awful lot of legal b.s.. it would be a major turn off to me if i found out a guy was a pot head.
 Forereels
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Posted: 9/17/2011 12:44:35 AM
If everybody smoked pot the world would be a lot calmer, and economies would thrive just from the volume of munchie sales.

Kevjohns
Msg: 105
Posted: 9/18/2011 12:30:55 PM
How is this different than masking the pain with legal medications? The parents were just stupid ignoring the pain and not getting to the source.
 Kevjohns
Msg: 106
Posted: 9/18/2011 12:57:19 PM
Paul, we are on agreement on this one, not about the pot use, but how dumb the parents were. Some people use over the counter medications for pain relief. If that's not enough, you go to a doctor and many of them will simply prescribe stronger medications.

I'm curious, did these parents have health insurance so they could afford a doctor and MRIs, and could they afford to pay the deductible for the MRI's and the radiological reading, which would have run into the thousands, or did they do the best they could under our pitiful system of providing medical care in our Country.

If a brain tumor was found, did they have the right insurance to pay for its removal and follow up chemo, or did they have the typical insurance many have today that limit the benefits? Would medicaid have stepped in if they didn't have insurance or would they first have had to have sold their first born, their house and their cars? Would they have gotten a qualified doctor with their insurance?
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 107
Posted: 9/18/2011 1:17:37 PM
That wasn't America bashing - it was a legitimate question.

Check the stats - one of the big health problems in your country is that people don't get problems diagnosed early enough because of lack of insurance.

Given the incredibly stupid route these parents took, that's a reasonable question about an unreasonable choice.

It was certainly more reasonable than equating smoking pot with not caring about your child's health.
 Kevjohns
Msg: 108
Posted: 9/18/2011 1:29:33 PM
Had the kid NOT been smoking pot and masking the symptoms, this would have been discovered at a much earlier and possibly treatable stage.

Paul, this thread is pretty much off topic. If this kid was smoking pot that much to avoid pain, his parents did him a huge disservice . . but perhaps they had no choice given their financial condition, just like so many have so little choice right now in this country.

I am guessing to a high probability that the parents were trying to avoid medical bills they could not afford. Like I said in another thread, cancer is much more likely to kill the uninsured/underinsured than those with adequate insurance. But you know, brain tumors are serious things. Chances are by the time a person has symptoms it is already too late for a cure. The best that can be hoped for is a temporary remission in most cases.

I am a beneficiary of this countries freedom to be whatever I wanted to be and have made a good living doing so. Not everybody has my good fortune. Doesn't mean they should not get good medical care. You should learn something about what it means to be free Paul, what it means to have free speech. That means I can voice my opinions without having to leave the country like some thugs would try to get me to do.
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Posted: 9/18/2011 1:35:01 PM
Msg 139. First, sorry to hear of this young mans sickness. Paul, why did'nt this kids Mom take him to a doc. when he first started having headaches ? And if these headaches were chronic I would think she would have had even more reason to do this. Especially if they had good health insurance. This sounds more like a case of neglect and the blame lies not with the weed but the kids Mom....
 Kevjohns
Msg: 110
Posted: 9/18/2011 2:07:56 PM
[There must be better places to live in the world, why do you persist in staying here?]

Sure sounds to me like you are suggesting I leave the country because I voice my opinions. Kind of like the Bush people calling people unpatriotic if they did not support that War Criminal in his needless war.

I can't really say people should get the best care, after all there is only so much of the best to go around. But they should get adequate care. In this case the boy didn';t get pitiful medical care, he got worse . . he got NO care. The question is why. Were the parents simply horribly negligent or alternatively, could they not afford the care the kid needed and had no other alternatives. I am giving the parents the benefit of the doubt here. If they could afford medical care but instead gave this kid unnending amounts of pot, I for one, were I the prosecutor, would look to prosecute them for child abuse.
 Kevjohns
Msg: 111
Posted: 9/18/2011 3:21:34 PM
Paul, I am neither liberal nor conservative. I am a centered Moderate. I just have lots of common sense and knowledge. I know reality because I see it every day in what I do for a living. You don't. You have forumulated your opinions based only on what you have been told without having (1) the necessary foundation or (2) experiencing the reality of what is going on out there. Many of you guys form your opinions based on sound bites from people like Sara Palin or Rick Perry. They are the ones who are extreme, not me.
 Cynderella
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Posted: 9/18/2011 7:19:15 PM
Wake up and smell the................
Oh heLL an other thread goes up in smoke.
Adults are kids too.
 Kevjohns
Msg: 113
Posted: 9/19/2011 1:43:57 PM
I am kind of shocked Paul, because you express opinions that seem to mirror their positions. No, I have no way of knowing how or why you think like you do, of course, I only know what you say here. Anway, I would still like to know if your pot smoking friends made any attempt to get their son to the doctor, and if not, why not?
 Kevjohns
Msg: 114
Posted: 9/19/2011 2:29:49 PM
Very sad for the son. I suppose Mom is going to have a very large cross to bear for the remainder of her life, always wondering if she could have saved her son if he had done the right thing. She is not the only person in the country who has no faith in Western Medicine.

As for Perry and Palin, actually you are not like them, because they are both stupid. See this on Perry being a D student:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/05/rick-perry-college-transcript_n_919357.html

As for Palin, we need no proof how much of a nitwit she is.
 Kevjohns
Msg: 115
Posted: 9/19/2011 2:56:07 PM
Well I admit to being disappoionted in Obama BECAUSE he has no backbone. So we need someone NEW. I just wish Hillary had won the first time. I see nobody on the Republican side I could support except possibly Romney. Who knows, maybe Hillary WILL jump in.

As for your friend, I don't see how she could have possibly thought she was doing the right thing. And no, I don't believe all surgeons operate to line their pockets. Only some surgeons. Big Pharma . . . yep, but at least there are peer reviewed studies that sometimes avoid the corruption involved in the process. Sometimes but not always.

By the way, sometimes brain tumors can be treated with radiation from some of the newer machines and surgery can be avoided. There are not many chemos that breach the blood-brain barrier anyway, so not sure some of those poisons would do all that well.
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 116
view profile
History
Posted: 9/19/2011 4:37:50 PM
^^^^Legalize marijuana. The smoking kind, and tax it. Instant revenue.....
Great new crop for farmers to profit from. Do away with farm subsidies.
Legal industrial hemp. The fibers can be used for a myriad of products from cloth to rope.
The seeds are high in proteins and oil.
Enough adults use marijuana illegally now. Free up some jail space for some real arseholes and leave the potheads alone. Legalize it , Tax it and help the deficit and create jobs too.....
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Posted: 9/19/2011 5:00:23 PM
Sorry Paul. I meant this^^^^as a way to potentially lower taxes for all.

And, in lieu of legalization I'd say taxes should be at a rate that would be fair to all. As to what these rates are I could'nt begin to say. Bigger brains than mine can't seem to agree on this.Or, even what fair is.

I do know that a potential source of revenue is being ignored now. Then when you factor in the cost of jailing potheads it seems kind of silly.
 karma1160
Msg: 118
Posted: 9/21/2011 12:53:23 PM
I believe that medical marijuana can and does do wonders with all kinds of patients.
I also believe that smoking marijuanna forms an stickyness on ones lungs and bronchi that is damaging.
If a person needs the thc for health reasons than they should take it in pill form.

Every conversation I have ever had with someone about the ill effects of smoking pot due to the stickyness has inevitably ended up in a conversation of comparison about how other drugs are worse. It is called projection.

http://www.summitmedicalgroup.com/library/behavioral_health/marijuana/

If someone wants to talk to me about the science of marijuana, without trying to be defensive than we can have a conversation otherwise it is just about one drug vs another.

Marijuana changes a persons depth of perception, so it should not be used behind the wheel of a car.

As far as whether or not I believe that it causes depression of motivation and proactivity in the person who uses it, considering most people use it to relax, I would say that is a pretty fair statement.

It has been researched and found to cause problems in memory, so if your able to focus without being able to remember than I don't think your gaining any ground here.hmm
 Pingshooter
Msg: 119
view profile
History
Posted: 9/21/2011 1:37:39 PM
yo..Paul..you do understand that Hemp and Marijuana are different, right?

http://www.gametec.com/hemp/hemp.mj.html
 totalazzhole
Msg: 120
Posted: 9/21/2011 4:34:15 PM
^^ you forgot, an eagle will swoop down & fly away with your c0ck..assuming you are male
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Can someone explain why pot smoking is acceptable in adults