Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Do Others find it harder to meet other people in their 50s?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Maleman999
Msg: 376
Do Others find it harder to meet other people in their 50s?Page 16 of 21    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21)
What exactly is the point of the "woman can" list? The same list can apply to men. A woman might be the opposite of the list, or be one or two of the things on list, Or be any shade in between. I can make a list of a thousand things a man can, but it means diddly squat. If I put on the "men can" list "walking on the moon", it does apply to men, but only to a select few.

As for the statement that follows: "It doesn't matter a hill of beans. She is almost universally considered a decade (or more) too old for men her own age.": Men are in the same position as far as restrictions. If a guy is too short, not built like a brick sh1thouse, is balding, has a spare tire, doesn't have a job or high paying job, etc. etc., women do not considered him date worthy. I wish it was as simple as snapping my fingers to get any woman I want, which is what a lot of woman think it's like for men to get dates.

As for the never ending pouting from women who are always complaining that men want younger women: It is women who are in total control of this situation and create the situation. If every woman refused to date guys who are older than them, guys would date women their own age. Instead of blaming guys who would date a younger woman, blame the women who are willing to date older guys. It's totally up to the woman to say yes or no when asked to go on a date.
 ladyc4
Msg: 377
Do Others find it harder to meet other people in their 50s?
Posted: 8/6/2014 9:42:25 AM

If I put on the "men can" list "walking on the moon",

I have seen a refrigerator magnet in various gift shops that says
" If we put a man on the moon, why can't we put them all there??"

When it comes to the blame game-we could carry that out to "if men would quit asking women a decade(or more) younger, then younger women would not be dating older men." After all, it's totally up to the woman to say yes or no, but I've never seen anybody twisting a man's arm (or other anatomy) to MAKE him ask significantly younger women for dates.
Actually, I suspect certain older men find it easy to get dates with women a decade or more younger. Other older men, not so much.
IMO it's a tradeoff. At a certain point in her life a woman is willing to date for the greater security that an older man might represent, and the man gets to ignore what's coming in his future a little longer.

But when a woman 50+ has achieved her own security (and that AIN'T about money!!) ,looking at a man a decade or more older, she may not see security or companionship as much as she sees an impending responsibility.
As I have said before, it is one thing to be a caregiver to the spouse of your youth, (or a parent, a child or sibling,) and quite another to sign up for beng a caregiver to someone who comes into your life later.

And dating younger men?
Oh yeah that has it's fun moments-and sometimes it works!- but all too often it does come down to being seen as a teacher, a sugar mama, not a genuine equal partnership.

Maybe older men dating younger women are OK with being in that position-and I certainly acknowledge that there ARE older man/younger woman pairings that ARE equal partnerships. But all too often from what I've seen, age-discrepant pairings are not really partnerships of equals.
I think that most selfconfident women of 50+ are looking for a partnership of equals.
Cindy O
 14everBlessed2
Msg: 378
Posted: 8/6/2014 10:00:05 AM
Hi Maleman,
I did not get the impression that Ready was complaining but rather listing what she thought would be valuable attributes in the dating world as a woman (but because of her age it isn't.) She, like myself, I think would prefer to date in her own age group. However contact from said age group is virtually non-existent in my experience and speaking that reality doesn't make it complaining or pouting. I have had to rethink the whole dating scenario and currently enjoy the company of men in their 30's and early 40's and also see a gentleman in his early 70's. Is it my ideal? No, but we adapt and grow.And I have no doubt that some gentlemen have had to do the same. Please don't color us all with the same brush.
And tickle, when I was younger I never dated older or younger men, my husbands and boyfriends were all within 2 years of my age.
 Ready_Real
Msg: 379
view profile
History
Posted: 8/6/2014 10:10:46 AM

This accurately discloses how things are. Ready, you are perceptive and you express your thoughts well.

In my late teens and early twenties women near my age were age appropriate. At 61 women at least ten years younger than me are age appropriate. I find dating younger women is natural and very easy to do. I meet them everywhere. I never come on strong. I wait for them to at least give me a hint they are interested. Some approach me. Life is good.

Dear "Like2Dance" and All Other Gents w the above sensibilities on this topic (IMO "The Vast Majority of Y'all"),

Thank you for your kind words regarding my perception of this topic and the ability to express my thoughts. Since your profile precludes my contacting you directly, I'm hoping the following will be construed as relevant to most on this forum topic. (If not, it will likely get deleted before you even have the chance to read it, but I digress).

So here goes:
Very back at you on your capacity to go deep and to express your thoughts. Moreover, I'm pretty sure that like myself the vast majority of the women on this forum would truly appreciate that you are willing even to address the issue head on and engage in this dialogue makes you a the rare exception in a dating pool where the typical physically fit, financially secure, emotionally available men are simply unable/willing to do so.

The above noted, can you share anything else to help the women like me understand why
at 61 women at least ten years younger than me are age appropriate.
but that under no circumstances is the same true for women your own age.

Certainly, given what you have to offer (taking you on faith as having a lot to offer:)
{quote] dating younger women is natural and very easy to do .

The question remains, why are we automatically excluded from your dating pool? And yes: if as many have offered, "height" is to "male potential" as "age is to "female potential" some women will indeed automatically exclude a man shorter than they .
But I can't help but wonder if the former is more often the case than the latter.

Thanks for any reply you'd care to make:)
 DragonBits
Msg: 380
Posted: 8/6/2014 10:33:54 AM

The question remains, why are we automatically excluded from your dating pool? And yes: if as many have offered, "height" is to "male potential" as "age is to "female potential" some women will indeed automatically exclude a man shorter than they .
But I can't help but wonder if the former is more often the case than the latter.

I could ask you a similar question about why height but I won't, that has been beat to death.

I am curious about this?

In the over 45 age bracket, are women still using height as one of their most important filters? Or guess what percentage of women over 45 would date a man 2-3 inches shorter?
 ladyc4
Msg: 381
Posted: 8/6/2014 10:37:35 AM
Going back thru the last few pages of this threasd I am struck by something...
Why are some very well-expressed, accomplished and confident women so bitter? Is your whole perception of your own value totally tied up in being pair-bonded?
Do you really regard your life and your personhood as valueless because you don't have that almighty seal of social approval-a "Significant Other"?

I GET IT- I do!
I don't want to date some guy 20 yrs my senior. Or that much younger.

Frankly, IRL I am not seeing this huge move of men over 50 dating women of age 40 or younger.
Mostly what I see IRL is good men who are with a longtime spouse or significant other. This is a small town-talk about BFE!-round here if you see a woman with a man old enough to be her dad, chances are that he IS her dad.

But I am not going to regard myself as somehow valueless because I'm not currently paired up.
Hell, I've gotten thru stuff that would have killed 10 ordinary women.
Do you think that the idea of men my age wanting to date women a decade or more younger causes me any bitterness? Yeah, I do appreciate that sometimes the whole deal seems pretty damn unfair-but guess what? LIFE ain't fair. Oh trust me if I wanted to hold a grudge against life/ the world I'd have plenty of grounds. But what a waste of effort-holding a grudge.
Do you think I buy into the idea that I am somehow forced to date men at deaths' door or who just got their drivers license?
Bull.
I don't have to do anything but die and pay taxes.
I do not find it difficult to meet other people in their 50s(and above). I do find that, right now ,there is a scarcity of men I'd care to date. So if we want to make a specific question "is it harder to meet dating candidates at age 50+"?
The answer to that is "yeah it is". But then again that answer is somewhat contingent on what the GOAL of dating would be. To find people for casual dating, activity partners, friends(with or without benefits) is not all that big a deal.
To find someone to forge a longlasting equal-and honorable-partnership with? That represents a challenge. But I don't see the sense of getting mad, bitter or frustrated about it.
Cindy O
 Your_Move
Msg: 382
view profile
History
Posted: 8/6/2014 1:15:03 PM

The thing is gonna have to collapse on itself the further to the right you go, just because people start dying off and like I said, I'm not changing anyone's Depends.

I'm loving following this convo - one thing that really jumps out is that both males and females, as we're getting older, are expressing that they don't want to date older, or even their own age (which is bizarre enough) - but the interesting parts are WHY they don't want to -- and how different the reason is, for men vs women. Great stuff, thanks :)
 14everBlessed2
Msg: 383
Posted: 8/6/2014 1:29:52 PM
I think that most selfconfident women of 50+ are looking for a partnership of equals.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
cindy o...exactly! ;0 Hope I did the quote thing right.....
Dragon bits...height has never been an issue for me
 Like2dance
Msg: 384
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2014 10:17:46 AM

As I see things our preferences, both male and female, are inherent and exist due to evolution. We all want to mate with the best possible candidate. I date (much) younger because in general I find younger women more attractive than older women and I can find younger women to date. If younger women found me unattractive for any number or reasons they would refuse to date me.
 NoBuddies_Fool
Msg: 385
Posted: 8/7/2014 11:25:35 AM
I am always astonished... that anyones choice of a mate is solely determined by their "age".....I know people a decade younger than me that are much more in poor health..have lessor assets and not all that bright...truthfully..lol.
They will and do date much older than them because they couldn't keep up to a man their age....to each his own.
I've dated younger and older....the "age" of a person doesn't make them a better quality person...in my eyes.
In fact, if you're an ageist or braggart about how..."hawt" you think you are....ugh!!
 Tsar850
Msg: 386
Posted: 8/7/2014 12:52:04 PM
I have no problems finding dates. I workout almost everyday. I'm in very good shape for a man my age. One of the reasons I decided to date in real life only is the "offers" to "let" me be a personal trainer for ladies wanting to get back in shape.

Like they are doing me a favor by allowing me to help them!

However while I was posted on her I held my age range to 5 years younger to 15 years older.
I just didn't find the younger ladies enticing. Personally I want an equal in all ways health, fitness, assets, and life goals.
The first couple of offers to be a personal trainer was flattering. However I soon found out they were not really serious about changing their lifestyles as they were just wanting to date someone that was fit.

So while it is not really that hard to find someone that wants a date.......it is hard to find someone to date that is worthwhile.

However I think it is worthwhile to wait on someone that is of the caliber you're looking for.

I don't need another "situationship" I want a relationship. Until I find what I want I'll just date and have fun.
 Maleman999
Msg: 387
Posted: 8/7/2014 1:19:55 PM

Msg 469: I am always astonished... that anyones choice of a mate is solely determined by their "age"...

Is this another way of saying age is just a number? Tell that to people who raise an eyebrow when a guy in his 50's or 60's has a 20 year old girlfriend/wife. That's just as likely to work out to happily-ever-after as two people marrying who are in the same age range. Right? Would you want your kids marrying someone who is the same age as you, and using the "age is just a number" philosophy?
 bluemoon24_7
Msg: 388
Posted: 8/7/2014 1:30:21 PM
To the person above; I get where Msg. 469 is coming from. I don't think she is referring to a 60 guy with a 20 year old gal, I think she is of the mindset of many of us that - when we meet someone in real life, they don't have their age written on their t-shirt or carved in their forehead. It's just online where you must put in your age front and centre.

If I'm out and about meeting people in real life, yes, I can guess how old they are but it's a guess. I'm probably going to be close, within 5 years or so. We judge the person on their looks, personality, how they carry themselves, etc. as opposed to a number posted under a picture. So yup, age is just a number, in real life.
 DragonBits
Msg: 389
Posted: 8/7/2014 1:42:43 PM

Msg 469:NoBuddies_fool: I am always astonished... that anyones choice of a mate is solely determined by their "age...

Is this another way of saying age is just a number?

I thought it was a way of saying don't use age as the sole reason you date or don't date someone.

Age is certainly more than just a number, but it's not the most important thing to consider when looking at dating someone.

Big boobs count just as much. (to the anally serious, or looking for reasons to attack, that was a joke)
 Your_Move
Msg: 390
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2014 2:11:13 PM

I am always astonished... that anyones choice of a mate is solely determined by their "age".....I know people a decade younger than me that are much more in poor health..

And in the other direction, I'm 51, and there was a woman in my hiking meetup-group - she was by far the most fit person in the group - and, of the women, the best looking. Most of the group was 40-55 I'd guess. She was ... 68.

She eventually left our group and joined a more physically challenging one, 'cause we were all way too slow for her :)
 abroncs
Msg: 391
Posted: 8/7/2014 2:18:07 PM
You're right cindy, and I say that because I am a man.

But ay, there is the rub.

By general consensus a man can never be the equal of a woman. There is no way. Even if they are close, in quality, they can't be equal.

So maybe that's what it is. A woman should seek a man her own age who is NOT her equal.

I don't know if this would work. I am not going by theory. I am just going by the fact that women seek in men their equal, and these women are all alone, no partner, no man. So the problem could be a million things in practice, but the main thing is that women seek their men who are equal to them.

That is what women must stop doing, or give up the hope of fulfilling. Once they do that, perhaps there will be a chance that they will find a man who is happy to find her.
 Ready_Real
Msg: 392
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2014 2:44:15 PM

I'm thinking that when you were younger you didn't bat an eye at the idea of dating a man who was a decade (or more) older than you.

You're thinking is incorrect: every boy and man I dated, and all "the guys I've loved before" (including one of the loves of my life who passed away of an incurable terminal illness in his early 40's) were within 3 years of my age.

I do know that when I was younger, I liked men who were 10 years older because they tended to be less volatile.

Can't comment on the above. However, the more I see/hear/read/learn, the more humbly grateful I am that no man from my casual dating to LTR experience has ever been of that ilk. And I do mean "humbly" --- because many loving honorable women and men have not been so fortunate in this regard.

So if a woman can view a man's age relative to herself as some kind of an asset, then I don't know why men can't do exactly the same thing

This question speaks spot on to the crux of my befuddlement: I neither view a man's age relative to myself as an asset of any kind nor have a clue as to why anyone --- again, male or female --- would. But I am coming to appreciate that others do not share my sensibilities.

As I see things our preferences, both male and female, are inherent and exist due to evolution. We all want to mate with the best possible candidate. I date (much) younger because in general I find younger women more attractive than older women and I can find younger women to date.

Thank you, "L2D," for sharing this. And I do appreciate that beauty is in the eye of the beholder . So you are saying that "younger" represents "more attractive" for you just as "taller" may represent "more attractive" for someone else.
And now you've got me thinking that maybe the question I should be pondering is: Does a woman's (or man's) age in itself automatically render her/him "less attractive" to the point where any/all other "attractive" qualities s/he possesses are moot? And if so, why?

Why are some very well-expressed, accomplished and confident women so bitter?

Before responding, I want to say that the lady who has written the above and the rest of the excerpts below is one for whom I hold in the highest regard as a most insightful articulate and genuine longtime forum contributor, & i hope that my response comes across with all respect due to her accordingly! To continue:
IMO, what may well be perceived as a bitter tone, frequently serves as a defense/coping mechanism. Because there are so many well-expressed, accomplished, confident, stunningly beautiful women 45+ who have come into this dating pool with the capacity to give and receive long term love. And a decade (or two or three) what they have to offer seems to be devalued --------- far and away more often than not ------ because they are 45+. This can initially confusing or perplexing, and eventually downright consternating. And this is not to take a potshot at "L2D," whose willingness to be open on such a sensitive topic I value whether/not I will ever understand or appreciate his sentiments.

Is your whole perception of your own value totally tied up in being pair-bonded? Do you really regard your life and your personhood as valueless

Not at all to both questions.

because you don't have that almighty seal of social approval-a "Significant Other"?

I'd be one of the last persons on the planet to regard "social approval" as a seal of any sort, let alone an "almighty" one. In fact i might regard it as the contrary!

So while I do validate that for teenagers the above is all too often the case, I truly believe that for most people our age, the desire to find love stems from a very strong sense of self worth. We are blessed to be at the point in our lives where we now have the time and means that allow us to can look back a little and feel good about the living and loving that has made us Who We Are. There are so many now single 45+ women of beauty, grace, intellect, practical means, and accomplishment who are still very much alive and kicking with open arms and hearts. They have loved and been loved. Is it not only natural that keep on believing they will have it again?

But I am not going to regard myself as somehow valueless because I'm not currently paired up.

Being paired up has nothing to do with a person's value. And everything to do with a kind of sweetness and beauty that some of us feel blessed to have had. And hopeful to have again even as we are becoming increasingly aware that the odds may well not be in our favor. Whether this all adds up to confusing or confounding, it's ultimately just that simple:)
 Your_Move
Msg: 393
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2014 3:35:14 PM

This question speaks spot on to the crux of my befuddlement: I neither view a man's age relative to myself as an asset of any kind nor have a clue as to why anyone --- again, male or female --- would. But I am coming to appreciate that others do not share my sensibilities.

I'm with NoBuddies_Fool on the idea of "age is just a number", and that by our ages there are people 10 years younger than us that "seem" older than we are, and some 10 years older that seem younger...so much has to do with how well people have taken care of themselves. And good genetics of course ;) But I would say, from reading many many women's profiles over the years, that you'd be in the minority among them, Ready_Real. (I mean that as a compliment). Sooo many women's profiles say things like "I'm 40 but look 27", "I look much younger than I am", etc. SO much of their value is tied to their looks, and their age (or appearance thereof) is one of the biggest parts of that.

Hell, just look at how many anti-aging products women buy, compared to men - or how many post-divorce women get tummy tucks, boob jobs, facelifts, botox, etc when they jump back in the dating pool? Most men laugh at it -- and while some men get things like that, the numbers are much smaller. Both of my wives were a few years older than myself - but I've been told by women 5 years younger than me, that my age difference to them was too much.

And ironically, how many of the women you're talking about - the "now single 45+ women of beauty, grace, intellect, practical means, and accomplishment who are still very much alive and kicking with open arms and hearts" - are the same women that turn their noses up at a guy who is only 2" taller than them, because they can't wear their 4" heels with them? Or have you seen the thread that's currently active, about "does a man's VOICE really matter that much", and how many yes' that has drawn? Funny the things that can close otherwise open arms and hearts. I'll point back to the idea of "how many of us who are still single, ARE so, mostly because of how many people we ourselves have rejected". (myself included)
 Maleman999
Msg: 394
Posted: 8/7/2014 6:45:27 PM

...- are the same women that turn their noses up at a guy who is only 2" taller than them, because they can't wear their 4" heels with them.

Try telling women height is just a number-see how far that gets.
 DragonBits
Msg: 395
Posted: 8/7/2014 7:23:17 PM
^^^ I once tried to tell a Ferrari dealer that my salary was just a number, he still wouldn't let me test drive the Ferrari F12berlinetta.
 CoralReefs
Msg: 396
Posted: 8/7/2014 8:23:53 PM

Try telling women height is just a number-see how far that gets.

At 6'2'' this hasn't likely been much of an issue for you.

At 5'8'', if it's been issue for me, I would have no idea. Nobody has ever said, straight-out, "Sorry ... "

If age has been a brick wall for the majority of women here, then for that I'm truly sorry. I'm 58 and have no real interest in anybody younger than 53/54. Why should I? I'd like to be partnered with a woman who is as close to me as possible in lifestyle, common reference points, higher likelihood of having free time, less likelihood of children still at home. Freedom, to enjoy each other. This is the last leg. Hopefully it goes 20+ years. I want to share those years with a woman who's sitting where I am. And there are many, many women, 53+ who are fun, attractive, active and have great attitudes about life, family and relationships. Honestly, it feels like a bonanza and I personally would like to thank all the men in my age range who need their partner to be <50.

So for me it's easy. Do you remember anything about JFK's assassination? If you do, you're in.
 DragonBits
Msg: 397
Posted: 8/8/2014 4:42:48 AM

At 6'2'' this hasn't likely been much of an issue for you.

At 5'8'', if it's been issue for me, I would have no idea. Nobody has ever said, straight-out, "Sorry ... "

If age has been a brick wall for the majority of women here, then for that I'm truly sorry. I'm 58 and have no real interest in anybody younger than 53/54. Why should I? I'd like to be partnered with a woman who is as close to me as possible in lifestyle, common reference points, higher likelihood of having free time, less likelihood of children still at home. Freedom, to enjoy each other. This is the last leg. Hopefully it goes 20+ years. I want to share those years with a woman who's sitting where I am. And there are many, many women, 53+ who are fun, attractive, active and have great attitudes about life, family and relationships. Honestly, it feels like a bonanza and I personally would like to thank all the men in my age range who need their partner to be <50.

Height starts being a strong negative around 5.6, at 5.8 you are only about 2 inches shorter than the current average white American. It's tough to really see this bias clearly IRL (height), much easier to see with online dating. I think the same can be said for age, it's much more obvious with online dating.

I have been told directly my height was the reason for not meeting.

IMO none of this is a brick wall, it's more of a numbers game, if is were a gambling game, the odds of meeting someone decline as height decreases for men or age increases for women, at different rates as the difference becomes more pronounced.

I think this is more difficult for women because at a younger age they had no difficulty meeting men, if they were attractive they had beat them off with a stick. The change over time is obvious because they had been accustomed to getting a lot more attention.

For someone like myself, I have long been accustomed to having a limited dating pool, so it doesn't bother me. In fact, it's confusing to me when suddenly the dating pool gets much bigger.

I read a woman’s profile yesterday, it was amusing. She is very attractive, 29 years and doesn't want to meet any really old guys that are 33>34. Coincidentally she is is on POF and Chinese American. Made me chuckle while thinking of Methuselah.

But as you can see from this lady poster in MSG 145 in another thread, she is 61 and just met someone, it takes more effort but it happens.

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/16259946datingPostpage6.aspx

BTW, there have always been men that wanted to date younger. That IMO isn't the main problem for older women, there isn't a strong bias against older men dating similar aged women. The main problem is there are a lot more women over 50 that want to date than men that want to date. At 60 it becomes even more lopsided. The odds of meeting someone change.

Don't worry, be happy is good advice.
 Ready_Real
Msg: 398
view profile
History
Posted: 8/8/2014 4:48:12 AM

how many of the women you're talking about - the "now single 45+ women of beauty, grace, intellect, practical means, and accomplishment who are still very much alive and kicking with open arms and hearts" - are the same women that turn their noses up at a guy who is only 2" taller than them, because they can't wear their 4" heels with them?

The women I'm talking about haven't worn 4 inch heels in decades. Some since high school. However, as honest women, they'd probably be willing to confess to a closet (or two) containing more than a few breadbaskets filled with Nike Air Pegasus 28's, 29, and 30's (has anyone tried the 31's yet?) in a variety of hues. Except when hiking. Then nothing beats Merrell Moab Mid Gore-Tex in baby blue or blush. And for those little black dress affairs? Sandals. In strappy shades of Ecco leather. A woman can dance all night in 'em. And go home with her dancing shoes -- still on her feet:)
 Maleman999
Msg: 399
Posted: 8/8/2014 8:45:47 AM
There are too many people who have been shopping at the Disney Magical Kingdom store and buying magic mirrors. They hang them up, and each morning, they say "Mirror, mirror on the wall. Who is the fairest of them all". Then-in their head-they hear the mirror saying "You are. You're actually 55? You don't look a day over 25. and you're just as sexy and hot and fit as you were in your early 20's." And those people believe it.

There are a lot of people who think 4 or 5 or more decades of aging (and aging by having kids) is not noticeable and look no different or less sexy than in their 20's. Older women don't understand why guys are not lining up at their door to ask them to go on dates like they were in her 20's. And older guys are wondering why their little black book isn't filled with women's phone numbers like it was in their 20's. They (both) also wonder why anybody who does contact them isn't the spitting image of their fantasy sex symbol. It's time to replace the mirror with a Walmart mirror that will reflect the real you.
 CoralReefs
Msg: 400
Posted: 8/8/2014 8:05:53 PM

The main problem is there are a lot more women over 50 that want to date than men that want to date.

Dragon, you would ascribe to this what reason? I think you may be right but I'm curious.

But on the other hand, I did a quick search compilation, I think it was here, and found in my area more men in my age range than women. Something like a 6:5 ratio, I don't remember exactly.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Do Others find it harder to meet other people in their 50s?