Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Do Others find it harder to meet other people in their 50s?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 littlefish7
Msg: 26
Do Others find it harder to meet other people in their 50s?Page 2 of 21    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21)
Move to Ireland and forget about those foreign women ....nothing like an Irish lass ...
 TryAgan
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Do Others find it harder to meet other people in their 50s?
Posted: 8/3/2011 1:43:04 PM
Msg 29 - armymom

if I wanted to date an under-30 guy I could have all the dates I wanted.

In my neck of woods, they use a different term for this type of encounter.
 parrothead 13
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 8/3/2011 1:48:46 PM
when irish eyes are smiling all the world seems bright and gay
 ArizonaHkr
Msg: 29
Posted: 8/3/2011 4:29:21 PM
". . . there are dozens of very polite, articulate, and seemingly genuine gentlemen in their 50's. 95% of them cannot run a mile, hike a small hill, or walk briskly for more than a mile without noticeable physical effects (i.e. sweating, heavy breathing, pace slow down to a 22 minute mile). Over half the singles --who comprise this 95% group in their 50's -- are on some sort of long term meds for chronic health challenges and/or dealing with financial constraints from bankruptcy to long-term unemployment or early retirement due to disability.

The other 5% of single men? (defined as those whose physical health allows them to run a mile, hike a small hill. . .and financial health has them solvent and reaping the benefits of long and steady professional careers) are out here seeking romance. These men have an "upper age range of early 40's but would prefer 30's" (quoted from a profile read yesterday)."

I'm 67 and walk 2 - 5 miles most days, did an 8-mile hike with 1,600' of elevation gain, topping out at 10,300', within the past two weeks. One of our group was 84 years old and noboby was under 66! Tomorrow I'm doing a 20 - 25 mile bike ride with some friends. Since turning 60 I've done a number of 1-day, 24.5 mile, rim to rim hikes in the Grand Canyon as have many of my friends. We all have the normal aches and pains but don't let that stop us from doing what we enjoy. Why would I want to date a woman who is the same age or younger than my 42 year old daughter??? Most of my friends, and I, prefer to date college educated women within our age group.
 donald-duck
Msg: 30
Posted: 8/3/2011 5:05:33 PM
At 21 I wouldn't have found an overweight female attractive, so why would I now ?

I'd rather 'do without'.

..And yes I can still run a mile, and I weigh the same as I did when I was 21.

I put it down to pride in appearance and caring about my health.

It's a competitive world out there ladies and gents.
 gelvak
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 8/3/2011 5:29:41 PM
hahah I don't think that was the intention. I think the list of stats was just to say that most guys on here appear to be looking for much younger women. They put on a profile that they're looking for a "long term" relationship but then go on to describe a sex kitten of 23 instead of a more reasonable mate closer to their age. I'm not saying a 60 year old man should be looking for a 60 year old woman but c'mon --- really???? Anything younger than 50 and I'd be wondering what he or she wanted from the older person.
 Perigee123
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 8/3/2011 6:13:36 PM

It's a competitive world out there ladies and gents.

Depends on exactly what you're competing for, Donald;

A competition suggests that there is some prize at the end of it - and how each person defines a prize in this venue is variable. And what defines a no-prize is, as well.

And that's probably why the situation is so difficult at this stage in life - too many definitions, and (honestly) the close appeal of 'doing without.' At this point, I imagine very few of us NEED someone else. (And, if they do, they are 'needy,' and are instantly out of the running as a 'prize') We'd... like someone else. We'd prefer it. Under the right circumstances, anyway. A prize has everything we want, and nothing we don't. And after years of putting ourselves together in just the way that pleases us personally, someone meeting that criteria does not exist.

But our willingness to compromise is small, and growing constantly smaller by the year.

By 50, we're done cooking; if we're bookish, we're not going to suddenly turn into sitcom people - if we're physical, we're not going to become sedate (barring medical issues) - if we're introverts, we're not going to become extroverts. Multiply that by every life preference we hold, and that goulash of personality we've mixed for ourselves personally become the image of our 'prize.' A prize so personalized, and a tolerance so strict, that it in all probability it does not exist.
 deere rancher
Msg: 33
Posted: 8/3/2011 6:24:48 PM
Op ..........I actually find it much easier to meet and date , in my fifties than I did in my forties
I'm sure there are many cases ,were it may not be ,such as location,economics ect.
 Laha Math
Msg: 34
Posted: 8/3/2011 6:26:02 PM
People's venues change with age. What do you think those cruise ships are full of? Older unattached women! If you approach the problem logically you'll meet more mature available women.

Get out of the house and stay out. Walk the neighbourhood every evening.
Say "hello" to people you pass. After a while they get used to you and stop to talk. If you aren't meeting people you need to change your behaviour.

I've seen so many women's profiles here that say they want to travel and maybe retire overseas. Your wish to retire overseas is no limitation. It's opportunity.
 Joe_Macn
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 8/3/2011 9:08:50 PM
In my area, there is nothing for people in their 50's.

I've done the Barbie doll, in fact she was even older than myself, but wow, talk about high maint and needy. I'm done with the "Baby Dolls", but I'm also not going to settle either.

I'm finding that the women in my area that are in their 40's are not wanting to date someone that have reached the magic age of 50. God forbid they date someone with one foot in the grave... hahahahah

However I'm finding that mid to upper 50 yr old women are contacting me.

Lets face it people, we don't have very much time left before we all become walking pharmacies and half crippled.

donald-duck
Msg: 36
Posted: 8/4/2011 2:29:04 AM
'Move to Ireland and forget about those foreign women ....nothing like an Irish lass ...'

To the (mostly it seems) Americans on here who have replied, you ARE a foreign woman. :)
 crazy4mars
Msg: 37
Posted: 8/4/2011 2:42:06 AM
I used to have a hard time meeting people until I was told that guys just aren't going to come knocking on my door if they don't know where I live.. So I now make an effort to meet 2 new people a day, go to yappy hour, basically being more social and letting people know that I am not married nor do I have a boyfriend. It's amazing how many people will assume your unavailable.
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 38
Posted: 8/4/2011 1:08:57 PM
To the (mostly it seems) Americans on here who have replied, you ARE a foreign woman. :)

Don't forget the Canadians...hehe.

In my wildest imagination I would not have guessed that one day I would be on a dating site hoping to meet my S/O....but then I thought marriage mean't forever... LOL

...mae

smokincigars
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 8/5/2011 12:39:27 AM
Outside of online dating, definitely. When I was younger, the only places I knew where I could meet single women were nightclubs and church -- talk about extremes! Now that I'm older, the nightclubs are out because people my age don't go there; and I happen to belong to a small church where there are literally no unattached women my age.

Sure, women can be found in other places; but how does a man know if they're truly available, and how many offer opportunities to begin a conversation that can lead up to a date? Maybe I just don't have enough lifetime experience in asking women out, or I suppose I could be lacking in imagination; and I'll admit I don't want to ask a woman out only to learn she's married or in a relationship.
 rustytraveler
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 8/5/2011 2:11:32 AM
Try meetup.com.... a place where people get together based on mutual interests... not dating. What a novel thought ay?

From quilting to motorcycle riding, skiers and surfers, language or country aficionados.. to dining and cooking.. seems the sky is the limit depending how close you live to a larger city, look it up.... if I lived in the states I'd give it a whirl.
 ProcolHarem
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 8/5/2011 3:59:07 AM
Actually YES.
One thing I have been finding more and more is that both on POF and on "Match"
A LOT more women in their 50s have age requirements for men starting in their 30s and ending in the upper 40s.
Consequently, men in their 50s (the same age group as the woman) are excluded.

That's fine, they date who they want. No problem with that, but the end result is that the pool of 50 something women is much smaller.
 motown cowgirl
Msg: 42
Posted: 8/5/2011 4:18:09 AM
^^^that's what you get when a bunch of "me too" old broads start watching "Sex in the City". all of a sudden everybody's a big cougar. so in vogue. mcdonald's should have a special happy meal.... sliced apples with caramel sauce, a capuccino, and two ribbed condoms with a big clown face on the ends of them.

your age range just shot up 20 years. now you can start cruising Senior World. lol.
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 43
Posted: 8/5/2011 5:58:59 AM

Try meetup.com.... a place where people get together based on mutual interests... not dating. What a novel thought ay?

From quilting to motorcycle riding, skiers and surfers, language or country aficionados.. to dining and cooking.. seems the sky is the limit depending how close you live to a larger city, look it up.... if I lived in the states I'd give it a whirl

I joined meetup.com here in Calgary. Best thing I ever did. Haven't made any romantic connections but I've met some very nice single people, bith male and female. We do all sorts of stuff together from hiking to dancing.
A girlfriend met a guy by attending a "games night" at a local community centre. That was six months ago, they're still seeing one another. You have to widen your social circles.

...mae
 Dave of Indiana
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 8/5/2011 10:39:06 AM

hahah I don't think that was the intention. I think the list of stats was just to say that most guys on here appear to be looking for much younger women. They put on a profile that they're looking for a "long term" relationship but then go on to describe a sex kitten of 23 instead of a more reasonable mate closer to their age. I'm not saying a 60 year old man should be looking for a 60 year old woman but c'mon --- really???? Anything younger than 50 and I'd be wondering what he or she wanted from the older person.

My viewing limits are 50 to 65. Typically I'll restrict this to 53 to 64. I'm 60. One thing that stands out is that the more a woman has taken care of herself (and by reading her profile she knows it) the more picky and restrictive she is in who they will accept. There are a handful in my area that are mid-50's who are VERY attractive with very nice physiques . Their age limits for men: 35 to 50. So it's not only the men who do this. The better we perceive ourselves the pickier we become.
 Fifi47
Msg: 45
Posted: 8/5/2011 12:24:54 PM
I am average looking to most men and I am picky regarding the man I find appealing (which is based on a lot more than his appearance), gosh, how picky would I be if I had "taken care of myself" and was tall, thin and blonde? Few would be good enough for me even though my appearance would be good enough for them...mmmm...I do find it difficult to meet men my age, when I retire and move and/or have the time to persue more of my interests the size of my dating pool might increase.
 chelly55
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 8/5/2011 1:04:59 PM
I have put alot of effort/engery and expense into looking after my mind and body - so I would like to meet someone, who has at least done the same - regardless of their age
 Natgoat
Msg: 47
Posted: 8/5/2011 4:36:48 PM
Living in a small town...it's more of an issue of 'distance'...
If 60 miles..(K/C)..is too much...I'm _Really_ hosed..!!
Semiphoring S O S
 RichenLosAngeles
Msg: 48
Posted: 8/5/2011 4:45:09 PM
Chelly - Your hard work does not go un-noticed.
The Royals have left, but if you come to Hollywood, may I show you the sights?
 roe64
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 8/5/2011 5:56:09 PM
I've been on POF off and on and all I get are men in their 70's, and not even alot. I'm wondering how I look on my pic. I',m actually 64, but I'm not going to put that down, it's hard enough now getting someone to write. Where is that dinner place? I'd really like to know.
 roe64
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 8/5/2011 6:00:17 PM
Oh come on now, why shouldn't a 60 yr old man date a 60 yr old woman? I was married to a 60 yr old. We had alot in common. Don't these guys want to have something in common with their mate??
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Do Others find it harder to meet other people in their 50s?