Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Are you your mind?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 flyguy51
Msg: 26
Are you your mind?Page 2 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Kardinal-

Yes, well, whereas your posts often get summarily dismissed as "angry noises," I am a little more entertained by witnessing App's ample tapdancing skills on the subject.

I have several more questions to ask, but I think a slow trickle is best, especially when the answers often lead to more questions.
 60to70
Msg: 27
Are you your mind?
Posted: 9/2/2011 11:08:12 PM
The mind is a tool. You are either its master or its slave.
 60to70
Msg: 28
Are you your mind?
Posted: 9/4/2011 7:45:36 PM
No its not. The mind is indeed a tool to navigate life. No mind, no life.
Mind: my tool for achieving some form of understanding and consciousness.
Me: my mind determines if I live informed and conscious.
What is my mind? The whoosing sound that I heard from those who accentuate the confusion and never refine the spectacular, the singular, the importance of open-mindness and kudo to those who are born stripped of the ability of the mind to navigate the hard and cold sciences and rely on the heart and minds of those who have the ability to exercise their mind's. Oh well.
 trin-vita
Msg: 29
Are you your mind?
Posted: 9/6/2011 10:15:20 PM
The beauty of the mind is that it can be objective and subjective at the same time. For me, when I broke though the barrier into knowing I am so much more than my mind.....a whole new expansive reality came to be.
The biggest difficulty I had was the " ego's mind" need to stay alive vs the god or universal mind. The ego mind is all about separation born of fears........while the god mind is about unification that is of love. I read years ago..."we can either be a slave to our thoughts of the master of our mind". From that day to this I am still a student learning to master my mind. And this is the conclusion I came to.....
While I have a mind, I am not my mind. I am me and my mind, like my brain, my emotion, my thoughts, my intuition, my body etc..... are all a part of who "I AM".
The "I AM " being me....
One of my favorite quote is "We are everything and We are nothing" because it is the truth.
Challenging the mind and what it holds as reality is the only what to break through the barrier of the mind.
The mind is limited ....... but "I am" not.
 UnstoppableJuggernaut
Msg: 30
Are you your mind?
Posted: 9/12/2011 8:37:28 PM
Indeed, the consciousness is not a "thing", an external or internal object of any type. to those of us who live in a material universe, dissociating from the need for everything to have a form and function can be quite difficult.

Your consciousness IS. It is immeasurable, location less, formless. The best description is that it is a PROCESS - energy. Electricity. A life spark.

Whatever it may be called, when one comes to the realization that emotions are the response, not the experience, that our perceptions and judgements are not the reality (A chair (as a concept) does not exist without a human to give it a purpose), and that who we are at the core is not a "thing", a judgement, a word.....that words are descriptions, but are NOT reality, you gain freedom of your circumstances both inner and outer dictating who you are and what you do.

Words and communication are at the core of the so called "illusion". They create realities, based on concepts and images that don't actually exist, and many of us treat them as real....creating inner circumstances that worry, stress, anger us. Distancing ourselves from perceiving what is actually going on around us, and hindering our interactions with others. Keeping ourselves from being happy.

Essentially, enlightenment is the lifting of all SELF IMPOSED burdens. It is the realization that we create ALL problems and conflict in our lives. Sure, there are circumstances that need to be dealt with should we want to continue on living, but they are things to figure out and deal with. PROBLEMS are what happens when you want people, things or circumstances to be something they ARE NOT. A girl who isn't attracted to you being your girlfriend. A skinny asthmatic guy wanting to be a big hulking beefcake to feel good about himself.

To know what you are, simply find all the things you are not. Once all the unnecessary judgements and self imposed identification are gone, what is left is simply the state of being. When that is your default, your center, life's "problems" seem much less significant and threatening.

Jeremy
 Amanta
Msg: 31
Are you your mind?
Posted: 9/13/2011 1:56:08 PM
^
Live in the now.
 Amanta
Msg: 32
Are you your mind?
Posted: 9/13/2011 9:13:28 PM
What ever happened to "I think, therefore..I am"?
 bamagrl68
Msg: 33
Are you your mind?
Posted: 9/17/2011 3:48:26 PM
garry1949- There is the conscious mind, things we remember and that we know influence our behavior. Then there is the subconscious mind, things that take effort for us to recall and/or that we are not as aware of, yet influence our behavior. Last, there is the unconscious mind, things that influence our behavior that we can not remember at all or that we are not aware cause us to react and/or behave.
The unconscious mind is the trickiest. It is possible to figure out some of our unconscious behavior. You have to be self aware enough to recognize patterns of behavior, reactions that seem to be automatic and yet aren't. You have to start to ask yourself, why do I react to certain people and/or certain situations in ways that might not be rational. The explanation is buried deep and you may never pinpoint exactly what causes it but you can train yourself to react differently with conscious effort.
Do some research into psychology. It's a subject I find very interesting.
 infiniteperfection
Msg: 34
Are you your mind?
Posted: 9/24/2011 11:12:32 PM
The only way you can find out if you are not the mind is to stop your thoughts all day. Otherwise you are just using one thought to replace another thought and the only answers you have are thought. So you cannot get to the heart of the matter because the instrument you are using "mind" never gives you peace and quiet to find out the truth.
 Oceanside77
Msg: 35
Are you your mind?
Posted: 9/26/2011 6:47:30 PM
No, I change my mind all the time (joking). Uh, I have learned that what and how I think is a choice and that creates a mind, it's functions, directions and its content. But, anything can usually be changed. So, therefore if someone is an unattached observer of themselves and their thoughts then they are not any of it.. they are simply what or who is observing all of it... imo.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 36
Are you your mind?
Posted: 9/28/2011 9:36:40 AM
Uh, I have learned that what and how I think is a choice and that creates a mind, it's functions, directions and its content. But, anything can usually be changed. So, therefore if someone is an unattached observer of themselves and their thoughts then they are not any of it.. they are simply what or who is observing all of it... imo.

A choice, hunh? Okay, so what about those with schizophrenia? They frequently find themselves, if untreated, thinking all manner of things the rest of us would consider "crazy." Are they choosing to think these things? Or people with chronic depression...is that really their choice? Or is something else going on?

{Edit}Meant to add this: What about sexuality? At what point did you "choose" to say you were attracted to the opposite sex or the same sex? And if it is a "choice," can we then start to turn around and say, "well if they made that choice...EW!!!...well then, there must be something wrong with them morally."

Extend this "choice" line of reasoning beyond the surface 'niceness' of it, and it can lead to some pretty ugly places.

So, therefore if someone is an unattached observer of themselves and their thoughts then they are not any of it.. they are simply what or who is observing all of it

And how does one make oneself an "unattached observer" of themselves? How does someone who's, for instance, suffered the loss of a child "detach" herself from the grief. Or how does the schizophrenic "detach" himself from the thoughts of persecution he's suffering?

Normally, such emotional detachment is considered a mental illness. If anything, it might be caused by the onset of shock in a high stress situation or, in the case of someone undergoing extreme abuse, could lead to a split personality.

While such advice appears to make sense from sage (and usually well paid) New Age gurus in $100/person seminars, their practical applications tend to be a bit less... naive.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 37
Are you your mind?
Posted: 9/29/2011 6:08:13 AM

I'd say the individual animal doesn't have choice in that regard.

Inasmuch as human beings are as much a part of the animal kingdom as the rest of the family of great apes, yes.

If the gay is gay by choice or not, what difference does that make? To clarify by another example, what difference does it make if a malicious murderous criminal sat down one day and decided to be malicious, or if he just _was_ malicious by birth? Would that make him innocent, because he never asked to be malicious?

Not my point. But moving on.

It's a silly argument whether society or individual is to blame for crime. The criminal is often to blame, and socieity is often to blame too. Frequently both are fully to blame. That doesen't make either any more innocent.

You're right. It is a silly argument. However, the statement was that thoughts are "choices." However, as I've shown, some thoughts aren't choices. And, while it's easy to say they are, it's also easy to place moral values on them. The mentally ill person is somehow "weaker" and they "choose" to live on the street, for instance. Or the homosexual is less "moral" because their attraction to the same sex leads to thoughts of relationships with the same sex and the insinuation that this is somehow a "choice." It already happens. And if you can place moral values on them, then you can condemn them and deny them the same rights, privileges and freedoms of the rest of society on that basis. Again, it already happens.

I'm not advocating in favour of this dismissive thought process. I'm pointing out the slippery slope that can lead from some fuzzy-bunny assertions like "Your thoughts are your own choice."

Of course, I'm also not advocating that people be removed from their obligations to society. Obviously, we're not going to entirely absolve the criminal for their actions. That's nonsense. But, by failing to understand what leads to certain thought processes, we lose opportunities to find causes and thus treatments, in the case of those with mental illness that leads to personally harmful or harmful to the public actions.

THAT was my point.
 HappyPlanet
Msg: 38
Are you your mind?
Posted: 9/30/2011 8:13:18 PM
Hi and salutations to all those who read this post.
Do you mind?
are you mind?
what is mind?
mind over matter?
Are you your body or is that a projection of the mind?
Is something behind your mind?
Does the mind listen to your voice, and obey it?
What trumps the mind or is it all mind?
What is a thought?
Is a thought in the thing and the thing in the thought?
I think therefore I am or I am therefore I think
What is the I am?
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 39
Are you your mind?
Posted: 10/2/2011 6:56:20 AM
If my brain is my mind and my brain is removed, I will not by myself. In fact, I won't be "anybody." Draw your own conclusions.
 Divisionbyzer0
Msg: 40
Are you your mind?
Posted: 10/9/2011 1:50:08 AM
It is not a given that your brain is your mind. A necessary component to having a mind is having a brain, but it is not a sufficient one.
 bestspfx
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Are you your mind?
Posted: 10/11/2011 6:20:16 PM
I'll chip in although I haven't read every post. Maybe I'll take the time. The brain is an organ and that is all. The mind is something altogether different. An energy field capable of analysis with infinite memory capability which uses the brain as an input and output control center for the body and the environment. A person is divisible into 3 parts. Spirit, mind and body. A person is a spiritual being that uses a mind to control his body and his ("its") environment. A person is not his own mind. A person is his own personality, a spiritual being, which uses a mind to control his body and ("its")environment in this game called life. A mind is an alylitical device. It analyzes data coming into it for use for the spirit in making decisions or for use for creation. Analysis goes back to the concept of solving things or solution. If you think of it in terms of a 'solvent' it means breaking things down to its constituent parts. So things are rendered in their very basic basic component parts. This leads to really good understanding and in (heres a heavy concept) raw materials with which to create something else with that material in another form. Any desired form a spiritual being wants. Thought creates things by itself. A spirit uses the mind to break things down to their basic component parts and create things with that material. Hows that? Lol.
 bestspfx
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Are you your mind?
Posted: 10/11/2011 6:26:59 PM
P.S. If your brain is removed thats the end of your body and that is all. You need a new player piece - i.e. body! Because a vital piece of it is missing! Certainly the brain is at the very least the control interface between the Spirit and its mind - and the body and its environment! Good luck controlling the body without the interface device! And if thats missing good luck playing the game! Lol. Game over. Time to get a new body, a complete one!
 bestspfx
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Are you your mind?
Posted: 10/11/2011 6:35:42 PM
Have to say, Stargazer where you are going with your arguments is the dangerous place and what Appreciative(I think the id is) is saying is true! Yes all that stuff - sexuality etc. is a choice! And nothing more! Do you think a child molester really cant help himself? A murderer? Etc.? So they should all get off? Behavior is a choice despite what excuses psychiatrists want to give everyone or what pill they want to sell! They are the biggest drug dealers on planet earth! Kids in schools are in trouble if they buy pot or coke but they can have ritalin every day, 3-5 times a day if they want, and coke and ritalin are chemically identical in the blood! And anyone going to rehab for drug addiction gets 3-8 psychiatric prescriptions! Lol. They just switch dealers! Give me a break! And by the way having heterosexual sex just so you know is a natural thing to do since every mammalian species on earth needs to procreate for the species to survive! Its not just something people do because its fashionable! Its species survival! You know???!!!! So the species can continue! Helloooo???!!!
 bestspfx
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Are you your mind?
Posted: 10/11/2011 6:50:11 PM
And Stargazer - just for your information! Psychiatrists make hundreds of thousands of times more money than any $100.00 per seminar New Age Guru! Give me a break! They are the drug dealing, money hungry, money stealing charlatans! Have you ever read a report of how much money they make with their 'magic' pills and electro-shock treatments?? Lol. Oh I'm sorry, "electroconvulsive therapy" and before you say it yes they do still practice it all over the place including in St. Elizabeths hospital in Boston Ma and nationwide the biggest population receiving it currently is elderly women on medicaid, medicaire and their own insurance in old age homes for senility symptoms(alzheimers, blah, blah, blah) who have no one to watch out for their human rights! What a HUGE money making scam and human rights abuse that is!!! If anything is a charlatan scam or a New Age Religion cult its PSYCHIATRY if I ever saw one! The religion of the atom, the material world, and everyone is a chemical machine - except of course the psychiatrists - who have somehow (to use your argument!!! lol) "DETACHED" from the limitations of that and have transcended above it all and the rest of us to be able to diagnose their voted on, made up(with no objective physical tests that can prove they exist!) "diseases"!!! Lol. Up to 400+ I believe in their new Diagnostic and Statistical Manual IV I believe now!!! What a HUGE JOKE!!! Lol.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 45
Are you your mind?
Posted: 10/12/2011 6:14:36 AM

Yes all that stuff - sexuality etc. is a choice!

Oh really! Well then, when did you decide to be straight? What were the factors you weighed in making your choice? And why would anyone "choose" a sexuality that will lead to bigotry, exclusion and outright hostility.

Do you think a child molester really cant help himself? A murderer? Etc.? So they should all get off?

Please provide the specific quote in which I stated that. Because I don't recall at any point advocating that pedophiles and murderers be let off because they "couldn't help it." In fact, I can quote you this from me:

Of course, I'm also not advocating that people be removed from their obligations to society. Obviously, we're not going to entirely absolve the criminal for their actions. That's nonsense.

Behavior is a choice despite what excuses psychiatrists want to give everyone or what pill they want to sell! They are the biggest drug dealers on planet earth! Kids in schools are in trouble if they buy pot or coke but they can have ritalin every day, 3-5 times a day if they want, and coke and ritalin are chemically identical in the blood! And anyone going to rehab for drug addiction gets 3-8 psychiatric prescriptions! Lol. They just switch dealers! Give me a break!

Oh yeah, I've seen rats like this before. More on that later.

And by the way having heterosexual sex just so you know is a natural thing to do since every mammalian species on earth needs to procreate for the species to survive! Its not just something people do because its fashionable! Its species survival! You know???!!!! So the species can continue! Helloooo???!!!

Hellooo!!! Did you know that there are dozens of species that also show homosexual behaviours too? Do they choose their behaviours, as well?

And Stargazer - just for your information!

Ah yes, because I couldn't possibly be nearly as informed as you...please!! Spare me!

What follows is an anti-psychiatry rant similar to what I've seen from Scientologists. Yeah, I wonder why they have a problem with psychiatrists. Could it be that cult's founder was a complete nutjob? I suspect so.

Of course, that entire rant has everything to do with the medical practice of psychiatry and did nothing to address how disorders like schizophrenia, clinical depression (the kind that leads to debilitation and suicide) and psychopathy.

Hey! Not saying clinical psychiatry is always good. However, again, many of the problems with psychiatry in the past stems from that same thinking that some things are a "choice." It was reflective of society's belief that mental illness, etc., was somehow indicative of a "choice" that points to some kind of "moral weakness."

Presently, psychology/psychiatry is making attempts to approach the subject of mental health in a scientific way. Unfortunately, the growing surge of anti-intellectualism/anti-science based on hyper-moralistic religious fundamentalism we see represents, in my mind, a major threat to what could develop into a more effective, more humane system.
 swingarm1966
Msg: 46
Are you your mind?
Posted: 10/12/2011 7:47:45 AM
Brave New World artificial reproduction anyone?

Androgynous Future for "Goys" ?
http://www.henrymakow.com/a_glimpse_of_the_future_for_go.html

Here is a story about the defacto tribunals and Bill Whatcott this morning.
By DAVID AKIN PARLIAMENTARY BUREAU CHIEF
Rights tribunal gets it right
http://www.winnipegsun.com/2011/10/11/rights-tribunal-gets-it-right

"Tolerance" is a Guise for Social Engineering
http://www.henrymakow.com/002004.html
 stargazer1000
Msg: 47
Are you your mind?
Posted: 10/12/2011 9:55:32 AM
Wow, swingarm, if you're pitching for the "right wing whack job" award, you're definitely in the running with your choice of citations.

From that Henry Makow story you posted:

A NZ reader points out (below) that the Prime Minister, John Key, left, is literally a Jewish banker. "We have gay rights this that and the other, up the wazoo," she writes.

And coincidentally, he is a Freemason, as successful politicians must be.

Occult gender bending is behind the elite promotion of feminism and "homosexual rights." We are being re-engineered just like the goats.

Yeah. Real, reasoned, objective journalism there! Not!
 swingarm1966
Msg: 48
Are you your mind?
Posted: 10/12/2011 2:29:13 PM
A NZ reader points out (below) that the Prime Minister, John Key, left, is literally a Jewish banker. "We have gay rights this that and the other, up the wazoo," she writes.

And coincidentally, he is a Freemason, as successful politicians must be.

Occult gender bending is behind the elite promotion of feminism and "homosexual rights." We are being re-engineered just like the goats.

What specifically is "wack" here stargazer? I have several children that were told by there class teacher (all had the same one) that 10% of the population was gay. He then told them that there are 3 gay students in the class based on percentages and that they needed to be "tolerant". That is "wack" no? There clearly is a Gay/ feminst agenda. As for freemasons it is a fact that manypoliticians in the past have been freemasons. Many such as George Washington, James Monroe ,Andrew Jackson, James Polk, James Buchanan ,Andrew Johnson ,James Garfield, William McKinley, Theodore Roosevelt, Howard Taft, Warren Harding, Franklin Roosevelt ,Harry Truman, Gerald Ford made it to president.
Calling me wack reminds me of the tactics of Hanity and O"Rielly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzIzoD-MhIE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5qU4qudJYk&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL977A222BDE9A6A0E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WObY922U-Ms&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WObY922U-Ms&feature=related
 stargazer1000
Msg: 49
Are you your mind?
Posted: 10/12/2011 2:41:57 PM

What specifically is "wack" here stargazer?

What isn't whacked about it? Or do you support the not-so-hidden anti-semitism indicated by the phrase "Jewish banker?"

Calling me wack reminds me of Hanity and O"Rielly

Odd...you remind me Hannity and O'Reilly.
 swingarm1966
Msg: 50
Are you your mind?
Posted: 10/12/2011 3:00:27 PM
What isn't whacked about it? Or do you support the not-so-hidden anti-semitism indicated by the phrase "Jewish banker?"

Anti semitism? Give me a break !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balfour_Declaration_of_1917

There is a world of difference between jews and zionism for sure.

here is an interesting article if you are interested.

http://www.jewknowledge.com/-khazars-not-israelites.html

Dr. Norman Finkelstein at the University of Waterloo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNQSV3BBtZ4
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Are you your mind?