Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Are you your mind?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 stargazer1000
Msg: 47
Are you your mind?Page 4 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Wow, swingarm, if you're pitching for the "right wing whack job" award, you're definitely in the running with your choice of citations.

From that Henry Makow story you posted:

A NZ reader points out (below) that the Prime Minister, John Key, left, is literally a Jewish banker. "We have gay rights this that and the other, up the wazoo," she writes.

And coincidentally, he is a Freemason, as successful politicians must be.

Occult gender bending is behind the elite promotion of feminism and "homosexual rights." We are being re-engineered just like the goats.

Yeah. Real, reasoned, objective journalism there! Not!
 swingarm1966
Msg: 48
Are you your mind?
Posted: 10/12/2011 2:29:13 PM
A NZ reader points out (below) that the Prime Minister, John Key, left, is literally a Jewish banker. "We have gay rights this that and the other, up the wazoo," she writes.

And coincidentally, he is a Freemason, as successful politicians must be.

Occult gender bending is behind the elite promotion of feminism and "homosexual rights." We are being re-engineered just like the goats.

What specifically is "wack" here stargazer? I have several children that were told by there class teacher (all had the same one) that 10% of the population was gay. He then told them that there are 3 gay students in the class based on percentages and that they needed to be "tolerant". That is "wack" no? There clearly is a Gay/ feminst agenda. As for freemasons it is a fact that manypoliticians in the past have been freemasons. Many such as George Washington, James Monroe ,Andrew Jackson, James Polk, James Buchanan ,Andrew Johnson ,James Garfield, William McKinley, Theodore Roosevelt, Howard Taft, Warren Harding, Franklin Roosevelt ,Harry Truman, Gerald Ford made it to president.
Calling me wack reminds me of the tactics of Hanity and O"Rielly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzIzoD-MhIE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5qU4qudJYk&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL977A222BDE9A6A0E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WObY922U-Ms&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WObY922U-Ms&feature=related
 stargazer1000
Msg: 49
Are you your mind?
Posted: 10/12/2011 2:41:57 PM

What specifically is "wack" here stargazer?

What isn't whacked about it? Or do you support the not-so-hidden anti-semitism indicated by the phrase "Jewish banker?"

Calling me wack reminds me of Hanity and O"Rielly

Odd...you remind me Hannity and O'Reilly.
 swingarm1966
Msg: 50
Are you your mind?
Posted: 10/12/2011 3:00:27 PM
What isn't whacked about it? Or do you support the not-so-hidden anti-semitism indicated by the phrase "Jewish banker?"

Anti semitism? Give me a break !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balfour_Declaration_of_1917

There is a world of difference between jews and zionism for sure.

here is an interesting article if you are interested.

http://www.jewknowledge.com/-khazars-not-israelites.html

Dr. Norman Finkelstein at the University of Waterloo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNQSV3BBtZ4
 Crimefridge
Msg: 51
Are you your mind?
Posted: 10/12/2011 3:50:59 PM
I think you are on the right road, but in the wrong gear. To believe in anything is in itself fatalism. What we can derive from existence is that existence is not subject to rules of a mind or a soul.

Context. Is experience real? Are there rules, or are they devices to placate a lack of imagination? Are the conversations and thoughts real, as the question is whether or not there is a "self"? If this is only "real" in the context of the paradigm it functions within, are we forced to obey the rules, or are there any? What is psychosis in that case? Is perception and reality much different?

The very stage of the planar existence allows for questioning perception vs reality via quantum mind. If perception changes matter itself, what changes perception that isn't further perception and/or matter? Paradox? Or equilibrium?

If perception is alterable, then are the rules real, or to better state that: can the rules not exist, or be made to not exist?
 stargazer1000
Msg: 52
Are you your mind?
Posted: 10/12/2011 3:52:28 PM

Anti semitism? Give me a break !

Yes. Anti semitism. Not even that thinly veiled. Blatantly obvious, in fact.

here is an interesting article if you are interested.

http://www.jewknowledge.com/-khazars-not-israelites.html

Did you bother to research your citation source? Here's another article they've got posted.

http://www.jewknowledge.com/the-protocols-of-zion.html

And I didn't have to scratch very deeply into that pile of bovine excrement to find this little gem! From the article:

The claim of the Jews that the Protocols are forgeries is in itself an admission of their genuineness, for they NEVER ATTEMPT TO ANSWER THE FACTS corresponding to the THREATS which the Protocols contain, and, indeed, the correspondence between prophecy and fulfillment is too glaring to be set aside or obscured. This the Jews well know and therefore evade.

'Nuff said.
 swingarm1966
Msg: 53
Are you your mind?
Posted: 10/12/2011 4:13:40 PM
The protocols may or may not be a forgery. The fact is if you read that document history has played out much the same as it is laid out. Ever read William Guy Carr's "Pawns in the Game" ? It is a very interesting read from a great Canadian researcher

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Evils%20in%20Government/Communism/pawnsinthegame.pdf

As far as can be ascertained the original plan of the conspiracy ended at the point where it
terminated above. I am satisfied that the documents which fell into the hands of Professor S.
Nilus in 1901, and which he published under the title ‘The Jewish Peril’ in 1905 in Russia, were
an enlargement of the original plot. There appears to be no change in the first section but
various additions disclose how the conspirators had used Darwinism, Marxism, and even
Nietzche-ism. More important still, the documents discovered in 1901 disclose how Zionism
was to be used. It must be remembered that Zionism was only organized in 1897.
This matter is referred to later, when the intrigue leading up to the abdication of King Edward
VIII is explained. The translation Mr. Victor Marsden made of The Jewish Peril, was published
by The Britons Publishing Society, London, England, under the title The Protocols of The
Learned Elders of Zion in 1921. This book is also discussed. It appears logical to say that the
discovery of the later document confirms the existence of the earlier one. Little, if anything is
changed, but considerable material is added probably due to the rapid development of the
international conspiracy. The only point upon which there seems to be grounds for
disagreement is in regard to the titles chosen by Prof. Nilus and Mr. Marsden for their books.
Mr. Marsden definitely states the contents of his book are the Protocols of the meetings of the
Learned Elders of Zion whereas it would appear it was a plot presented to moneylenders,
Goldsmiths, Industrialists, Economists, and others, by Amschel Mayer Rothschild who had
graduated from money-lender to banker.
 RyanRoland
Msg: 54
Are you your mind? Or is Appreciative out of his?
Posted: 10/13/2011 1:03:45 PM
I am definitely not my mind, as I've come to notice from eating well.

I wasn't seeing results in the gym and thought nutrition had to be the missing factor. I didn't like eating protein shakes, and vegetables, and carbs...because none of it tastes very good, and fast food tastes great.

Well, I practically force fed myself, and about a year later, everything has changed. I feel more connected with my body. When I see a tray of cookies sitting in my office, and it's morning time...years ago I would have eaten one and not thought too much of it, but now when I look at the tray, my mind/body immediately alerts me that eating a cookie at this time of day will make me feel...not right.

I just KNOW it won't be good for me (like when you KNOW something is the color red), and this feeling trumps the thought of how good the cookie would taste. The taste of the cookie actually becomes uninteresting to me, despite having a sweet tooth.

To me, that is my body and mind working in unison. I often feel like my body and mind work like the left and right side of my brain do, they are separate, yet connected.
 RyanRoland
Msg: 55
Posted: 10/13/2011 1:05:11 PM
...and if you cut the head off a chicken, the body will freak out and run around. ...just a thought. lol
 iGlobal
Msg: 56
Posted: 10/18/2011 10:10:53 PM
I am very interested in this thread, but am too exhausted to read, compute and then spit these sounds that we call words onto this screen that really only mean anything because it is agreed on by the majority on the what these sounds represent. Love the thread but forgot to bring the DMT! Maybe next time!
 awarmplace
Msg: 57
Are you your mind?
Posted: 10/27/2011 5:11:08 AM
more rum please
 Her_royal_silliness
Msg: 58
Are you your mind?
Posted: 10/30/2011 9:11:28 AM
Seems to me that our minds are collectors and conceivers of information based on our perceptions of all we experience. So,in essence, Iam my mind and my mind is me.
 MikeWM
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Are you your mind?
Posted: 10/30/2011 10:23:13 AM
Personally I think Shrodinger's theorum is only really relevant for certain purely theoretical concepts, but in the real world only tends to hold water for alcoholics and druggies really

Infact at times I just wonder whether the whole think originally started out as him trying to find a way to avoid admitting to his wife that while she was away he had accidentally killed their pet cat by putting it in a box with some rat poison lol

That said though, I have always liked the saying which goes something like "all perception if flawed" which I do believe is acurate on many levels

Essentially each person can ONLY view the world from their own singular perspective, and no matter how hard they might try to view it from someone elses even that exercise itself is limited by their own frame of reference and is only going to be an estimation of the other persons viewpoint mostly defined and limited by their own

We also tend to massively underestimate the influence of our subconcious on how we view things, what decisions we make, how we feel about things and people as its "preferred" to cling to the myth we cognitively and with little to no outside influence control our own destiny

You really just need to view the huge variety of different conclusions arrived at by people on threads on a place like this to see how varied "reality" is from person to person
 Kjjjj
Msg: 60
Are you your mind?
Posted: 11/6/2011 12:32:01 PM
Your mind is a tool. Without you it has no purpose.
 MikeWM
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Are you your mind?
Posted: 11/6/2011 4:05:19 PM
Without your mind being in working order youre a vegetable

So to your mind its you thats a tool (that probably could have been worded better haha) but I'm sure you get the gist ;)
 Dave_eh
Msg: 62
Are you your mind?
Posted: 11/11/2011 8:08:34 AM
The mind is what distinguishes us from the rest but we aren't really separate. We are bound together through cause and effect.

For me yes, I am my mind but that is not all that I am.

I don't consider the mind and the brain to be quite the same thing but see the mind as a sensory "organ" that sends signals to the brain to be interpreted just like any organ in the nervous system. When we have the "feeling" we are being watched, what are we sensing with?

To me, we are everything. The awareness of any separate aspect of the universe is in its infancy if it doesn't see that without said "awareness" it is no different than a blade of grass. To the blade of grass, there is no distinguishing of any kind.

Sorry, I'm not sure how much sense I'm making at the moment either.
 Kohmelo
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Are you your mind?
Posted: 11/12/2011 4:09:54 PM
This is actually a very, very old question. There are many ways to perceive it.

Basically if you look into most religions they have a concept of a "soul" or life spirit, if you will.
That life spirit is seperate to the brain. It is what you "are". Your body is just a vehicle.

Philosophers and later psychologists have been offering ideas too. Freud had some ideas, but that man was a quack. However, if what he said is true, then your mind is in sections and ultimately you are the sum of your parts.

When I look at my own mind, I often have thoughts that I can't control. This is perplexing because no one else could possibly be controlling them. If that is true, then I am controlling them. But then, why can't I make it stop? I bet there's some very deep research into the functions of the brain to explain this which I really care not to read.

That said, I have practiced controlling my thoughts and find that the more effort I put into using my brain the more control I have over it. It's like a muscle, the more you use it the more you the more you can control it and when you feel you have complete control of it, I believe you will know exactly what you are.

As for Schrodinger (sp?IDC!) and his cat, he could have just opened the box to see if the cat was alive. When we can't open the box we have to rely on belief, but of course leave ourselves open to the possibility that our beliefs are wrong that we may change and grow
 tallwomangreen
Msg: 64
Are you your mind?
Posted: 11/12/2011 5:58:49 PM
opps, double post. definately not in my mind.
 tallwomangreen
Msg: 65
Are you your mind?
Posted: 11/12/2011 6:01:04 PM
sometimes i am my mind - when most of my energy and focus is on thinking, day dreaming, debating, but not most of the time.

i am my feelings and they mostly reside in my body; my core. i can feel fear shoot though me like a lightning bolt. at times feel a nervousness causing tiny shaking everywhere, in those moments i occupy my whole body.

i can almost have an out of body experience when awe struck over nature. and i can feel one with nature.

swimming and dancing are very physical experiences. i feel then that i am much, much more my body than my mind.

r u what u think? feel? have? do? i am my feelings most of the time.

what bout when your heart starts racing and u feel happy or excited and u don't know why yet. that's not your mind.
 bestspfx
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Are you your mind?
Posted: 11/15/2011 3:38:08 PM
By the way Stargazer, to follow up on your replies to my posts, albeit very late since I haven't had time to chime in in a while read further! Lol. Just because under pressure and in serious competition the DNA replicative compuled behavior of animals occasionally ends up in them jumping on a same sex partener to put it into does not mean that homosexuality is being chosen by them as an alternative lifestyle! Lol. Or a genetic urge! It is simply "where do I put this reproductive energy since I cannot win the battle to get a mate in this fiercely competitive environment" and sometimes it results in anything thats not moving away from them fast enough! Lol. Heterosexual behavior for mammals again is a biologically necessary activity, again not being engaged in by them nor humans to be fashionable or for lack of something better to do, but for species survival itself! Homosexual activity is not a necessary activity for species survival so the same arguments absolutely do not apply. Whether you like it or not! And by the way, I'm not saying 'mental illness' is a choice but these non-optimal conditions in a human beings thinking and behavior can be solved much more easily than with an ice pick to the brain, or electro-shock or brain damaging drugs! Lol. Those are the psychiatrists mainstays! Lol. And by the way, on average, there is WAY WAY WAY more suicide statistically post-psychiatric visit or treatment than prior to it! Even the drugs now, after they were forced to admit it, carry labels that say they lead to hostility, suicidal thoughts and ideation and attempts! And psychiatry's history is FAR FAR darker than you're even close to letting on to or admitting - its HORRIBLE! Hundreds of thousands, even millions of deaths are attributed to that pseudo-sciences treatment of human beings in assylums, Holocaust death camps, suicide and more! And by the way, sane religions including Scientology are attacked PRIMARILY by psychiatry because they threaten pseudo-sciences bread and butter - human rights violations for BIG PROFITS! Any religion that attacks psychiatry is a sane one period and of course psychiatry attacks any that attack them with their false labels and claims THAT THEY INVENTED ACCORDING TO THEIR OWN ARBITRARY PARAMAETERS! Profit making parameters at that! They invent more and more false disorders and diseases every year BY VOTING THEM INTO EXISTENCE with a show of hands at their annual meeting of the APA! Lol. So in summation, yes a plain simple conversation and a sugar pill(proven by scientific studies! look it up!) does as much or more to 'cure' 'mental illness' like schizophrenia and other 'disorders'(of course named so by being invented by psychiatrists at the APA convention and inserted in their Diagnostic and Statistical Manual with an insurance code next to if for billing purposes! LOLOLOLOL) than any deadly, dangerous, possibly and usually DEADLY and permanently destructive 'treatment'!. Yes! Lol
 erin30655
Msg: 67
Are you your mind?
Posted: 11/15/2011 3:51:22 PM
I'm sorry just wanted to come in and see what bored felt like.....sorry!!
 bestspfx
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Are you your mind?
Posted: 11/15/2011 4:00:34 PM
Lolololol Stargazer! Heres another response to this other post! It's funny! You say someones thoughts are not by their choice! But behavior is caused by thought and then carried out! Isn't it! And then you say someone must be held to their social obligations! But by your own thinking process - if someone cannot control their own thoughts, and then by logical progression the resultant behavior as a consequence of those "uncontrollable' thoughts - then how can they be held accountable? You have ZERO logic in your arguments! You just make it up to fit your arguments! Someone can't control their sexual behavior in regards to being homosexual but can if they want to have sex with children? Rape someone? Yes? No? You only attribute the 'out of control' thoughts and behavior to the things you like to defend! I'm not saying anyone should be harmed for their thoughts or behaviors, I'm certainly no 'super moral religious extremist' by any stretch of the imagination and don't advocate any harm to anyone! But I do advocate justice for those who break the law and hold EVERYONE accountable for their own thoughts and behaviors PERIOD! I don't pick and choose one thats poplular for me and say "Oh! That thought and behavior? That ones uncontrollable! That other one, the one you're thinking about? That one IS controllable!". Lol. I think they ALL are! As long as they don't harm anyone I couldn't care less about them! So go spend your time with your boyfriends if thats what you are doing! Lol. I couldn't care less! But don't pretend behaviors that are not absolutely necessary to species survival are not by anything but choice! If you want to pretend any aren't by choice then maybe you have an argument if they are "absolutely necessary to species survival"! The rest of human behavior is! And again, the ONLY true advocates for any other argument is Psychiatry, and again thats because they offer a 'cure', actually MANY, for a PROFIT!!! Lol
 bob9712
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Are you your mind?
Posted: 11/20/2011 6:15:28 AM
Mind is a significant part of the whole. However, you can't minimize the importance of sense related functions based in part on physical dynamics. These sense related forces can, in my opinion, have a significant effect on ones psyche. Especially, as it relates to social phenomenon.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 70
Are you your mind?
Posted: 11/26/2011 6:22:14 AM
Just because under pressure and in serious competition the DNA replicative compuled behavior of animals occasionally ends up in them jumping on a same sex partener to put it into does not mean that homosexuality is being chosen by them as an alternative lifestyle! Lol.

Please quote the specific passage from my quote where I actually stated that. I think my point was that sexual orientation isn't a choice. So clearly, reading comprehension is not your strongest suit.

It is simply "where do I put this reproductive energy since I cannot win the battle to get a mate in this fiercely competitive environment" and sometimes it results in anything thats not moving away from them fast enough! Lol.

"It" is actually a wide variety of things from domination to socialization to just plain old feeling good. Animal behaviour is a complex thing, no matter how much you Lol.

Heterosexual behavior for mammals again is a biologically necessary activity, again not being engaged in by them nor humans to be fashionable or for lack of something better to do, but for species survival itself! Homosexual activity is not a necessary activity for species survival so the same arguments absolutely do not apply. Whether you like it or not!

It's been my observation that it takes particularly unsophisticated mind to think of things as "either/or" when the reality is that many things including animal behaviour are "because/and." And that's whether YOU like it or not.

Are you saying that people are homosexual because it's the "fashionable" thing to do? Because I know a few homosexual people. Somehow, I don't think they view the social condemnation and threats of violence they've faced as particularly "fashionable."

I'm not saying 'mental illness' is a choice but these non-optimal conditions in a human beings thinking and behavior can be solved much more easily than with an ice pick to the brain, or electro-shock or brain damaging drugs! Lol.

Oh, really. And what would you suggest? Positive affirmation? Vitamins? And what if the schizophrenic's hallucinations aren't buying into the affirmations? Hmmm?

And by the way, sane religions including Scientology

You've GOT to be KIDDING ME!! Scientology "sane?" Seriously? A religion based on space aliens? I think this statement pretty much says everything I need to know about you. The rest is blathering nonsense.

But behavior is caused by thought and then carried out! Isn't it! And then you say someone must be held to their social obligations! But by your own thinking process - if someone cannot control their own thoughts, and then by logical progression the resultant behavior as a consequence of those "uncontrollable' thoughts - then how can they be held accountable?

Those that can be held accountable are. Those that can't - say due to mental illness - are hospitalized. The system isn't perfect. But what would YOU prefer? Oh, do tell! This should be entertaining.

Someone can't control their sexual behavior in regards to being homosexual but can if they want to have sex with children? Rape someone? Yes? No?

Again, seriously!? Equating homosexuality to child molestation or rape? Give me a break. However, one thing that has come out from years of research is that pedophiles remain pedophiles. And "rape" is a crime that covers a wide range of causes so this is basically a meaningless statement from you. Wow. Not much of a surprise there.

But I do advocate justice for those who break the law and hold EVERYONE accountable for their own thoughts and behaviors PERIOD!

No one is saying otherwise. However, reality is far more complex. People do bad things for a wide variety of reasons. Sometimes its choice. Sometimes its mental deficiency or impairment. Again, true justice isn't an "either/or" proposition.

"Oh! That thought and behavior? That ones uncontrollable! That other one, the one you're thinking about? That one IS controllable!". Lol. I think they ALL are!

Okay, so you're saying the schizophrenic chooses to hear voices and see hallucinations. And we should just leave them to suffer their problems as long as they don't hurt anyone. Well aren't YOU the humanitarian, LOL. Not.
 ForumFlashLight
Msg: 71
Are you your mind?
Posted: 11/27/2011 8:57:48 PM
OP

It depends on how you define "you-ness" and "mind."

If you define your "mind" as the collection of thoughts and sensations occurring to you on an on-going basis, then, the answer is partially, yes, but not completely.

Example:

I once had an Alzheimer's patient in therapy for one hour. Giving him social and environmental stimulation proved interesting because he repeated his attentional focus and sequential thinking every five minutes.

Every five minutes. So I began to see if he could demonstrate any variation on his responses.

He maintained the same choice and same favorite object for one hour, continuously being presented the opportunity to make different choices and choose different favorites.

He was still "himself" because he chose the same and explained it the same way every time. There were organic deficits in his brain that stopped him from remembering he'd done this before and also kept him from being able to record the memory.

However, he still knew what he liked. And he still operated as himself, even with physical deficits.

There are types of brain damage that can change the personality, and types of amnesia that can erase the life history. But the operator of that brain is still the same person, just operating with altered circuitry.

Just because they are thinking different thoughts does not make them a different entity. They are the same entity who now experiences differently.

Your question would be more interesting if you wondered whether you are more than one entity...since we can saw your corpus callosum in half and separate the hemispheres, effective creating two of you in the same braincase.

Also, it would be even more interesting if you wondered whether more of your "self-ness" exists in your frontal cortex, limbic system, mammalian brain or your brain stem operations, plus the experience of "selfness" coming in from the input of the central nervous system's set of responses.

In fact, considering all that, it's a wonder you could muster enough self-integration to speak of yourself clearly to pose the question.

Only you can finally answer this question. It's your reality.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Are you your mind?