Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Take it to the mattresses      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Molly Maude
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Take it to the mattressesPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
of the 4 beds at my house, 2 have waterbed mattresses ... the other 2 have some sort of old-fashioned spring mattresses ... on the top bunk and the trundle bed! only kids sleep there! and the kids never complain!

ALL of the mattresses have 2" or 3" memory foam pads ... I LOVE the memory foam pads ...

the most comfortable bed, I'm told, is the waterbed mattress that's "waveless" and has sides ... it has a cushion all around it ... just a waterbed mattress buried somewhere in the middle! the allergy aspect makes me nervous about it, tho ... all that padding might have dust and pollens ... shudder ...

the old-fashioned "bag" waterbed with the memory foam pad is the one that seems most non-allergetic to me ...

edit: I almost forgot one of the best features ... the HEATER ... you select the temperature of your waterbed mattress! toasty in winter ... cool in summer ... love it!
 sweetest
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Take it to the mattresses
Posted: 8/4/2011 4:41:40 AM
I already know that my next mattress will likely be a Westin brand. I love their "Heavenly Bed" as well as the JW Marriott branded 'sleep experience'.... I realize that a large part of what is going into creating a good sleep experience in those hotels is also tied to the sheets and the foundation layers on top of that mattress, but it all works and always works well...so that will also be a planned part of the purchase. The proof is in the pudding, when traveling I sleep exceptionally well on those beds.

Like Dayna has already cited, I have always been told to buy the very best mattress that I can afford...as they aren't cheap, perhaps you can't outfit every bedroom with one in your house, but it would definitely be the one I'd choose for myself.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 8/4/2011 12:30:03 PM
In doing some matress research a few years ago, I had been curious about memory foam. After digging around, I decided against it due to outgassing issues primarily, followed by the reflected heat of the bod, and fairly short term performance for the price of the mattress. They are also heavy. Looked into the rubber latex kind with relatively little outgassing compared to synthetic foam memory pads and mattresses.
http://www.latexmattresscompany.com/

Even traditional spring mattresses have synthetic foams and fire retardants that outgas for quite some time. If you have any chemical sensitivities at all, or wish to avoid them, you might want to go for bamboo or rubber latex. We spend a third of our lives on that mattress environment. Comfort is a priority, but having a safe sleep environment should also be a priority. Formadehyde is a biggee for most humans.
http://www.chem-tox.com/guest/guestbook.html

The last mattress I bought was from the mother of a friend, moving into an assisted living facility and thinning her belongings. It was a quality mattress used in a guest bedroom, barely used, and before the advent of the current bedbug panic. The outgassing in an older, unused mattress is miniscule compared to new one.
 ohenryx
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 8/4/2011 12:36:15 PM
I have a queen size air mattress, cost next to nothing and sleeps very well. I have it on a platform sold by WalMart online for about $90. But it is NOT recommended for sexual excursions. The previous poster was correct, for sex you want an inner spring mattress. Even the multi-thousand dollar tempurpedic (sp?) memory foam mattress is not as good for sexual purposes as the ordinary inner spring mattress. But I will admit the tempurpedic does sleep well.
 gardenias2
Msg: 22
Posted: 8/4/2011 12:41:44 PM
if you have any back issues the temperpedic may not give enough support. i've got 3 beds like goldilocks. temperpedic, super hard serta and a medium inbetween one. i think the medium one is my favorite.

go to the mattress store, wear slip off shoes and have at it. try them all out, roll around, bounce a little, you will know which feels best.

congratulations on the new house!
 shakeitupbaby2012
Msg: 23
Posted: 8/4/2011 8:32:19 PM
Pup: thanks for this info. I'll be reading the links you
Posted. I like the idea of bamboo or latex - layed on a few latex beds yesterday and didn't like them, but still looking.

Gardenias- I went yesterday and had the slip-on shoes and had at it. I'm going back tomorrow to get back on the ones I liked after googling them.
I'm still trying to find a place with bamboo mattresses. I can only find them online and I've decided against the online thing .
Thanks for the congrats. Much to do in getting it furnished and set up.
I bought a bed today and I'm trying to figure out how to put the rails together and also got a large piece of furniture at Ikea ( 1st purchase there) and the pieces are all over my bedroom....
I'm enjoying it all.
 RichenLosAngeles
Msg: 24
Posted: 8/5/2011 9:39:38 AM
Ikea has nice beds, kind of pricey, maybe. Take a look.
 JD4Real29
Msg: 25
Posted: 8/5/2011 10:48:09 AM
I had to buy a new mattress in March.

I went to Sears where I found a salesmen who knew everything about mattresses. He quizzed me on my sleeping style and then had me lie on a few different mattresses. He helped me find the perfect mattress at a reasonable price. I paid close to a grand, which is what I expected to pay for the perfect night's sleep.
 shakeitupbaby2012
Msg: 26
Posted: 8/5/2011 11:06:45 AM

I'm confused as to whether you are shopping around for a used mattress or a new .

New.

Do you guys have a "Bob's Furniture" down there?
They sell similar quality temperpedic beds for like $1500 less.
Oh...Ps: I can help break it in if ya want.

No Bob's furniture down here.

Geeeeeeee- really generous of you- like you haven't been PM'ing me enough about this!!? For gawd's sakes get a life ;)
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 8/5/2011 11:27:17 AM
Ya got me prompted to look around again for my next mattress while nursing a summer cold...The Bamboo one that someone mentioned sounded intriguing, but alas no hits yet around here yet to check out. Like here it seems there are a lot of natural latex and low to non-toxic options down the road from you though.

http://sovn.com/latex-mattresses
http://www.myessentia.com/catalog
http://www.buildasofa.com/keetsa/keetsa-latex.html
 shakeitupbaby2012
Msg: 28
Posted: 8/5/2011 11:45:50 AM
Pup: sorry you have a cold- lots of water and a bit of apple cider vinegar ( or whiskey). Flushing with saline nasal rinse/ spray helps a lot.

Thanks for sending add'l links. I'll look
Into them. I read the others and even the natural latex had a disclaimer of sorts stating it can't be all nat'l due to some chemicals being used in the manufacturing process. Short of making one yourself, it's tough to find one that's comfortable, durable and all natural- locally , I might add.
I'm close to a decision on the first one and seeing how that goes if I buy it before buying others.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 8/5/2011 11:52:58 AM
Yupper sowrite, there is lots of greenscamming out there in the mattress world. "Natural" can include only 30% of natural ingredients. And I do recall the complaints of heat retention of latex and the heaviness, and other issues.

The main thing then would be finding a place with a 30 day refund policy if you happen to get a mattress that is causing any of the symptoms laid out in my first post link on toxic mattresses. Waking up with swollen, red eyes, joint pain and other no-nos is not something you want to put up with for the life of the mattress after laying out the big bucks. Good wishes in finding the mattress of your dreams.
 shakeitupbaby2012
Msg: 30
Posted: 8/5/2011 11:59:45 AM
Thank you, earthpuppy.
THIS is why it's challenging. Yes, the latex has heat issues. As does the wool
Padding in the 3rd link you just sent me, but that's the closest match I've found so far.
Holy mother, they have sofas too. ( I like furniture.)
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 31
Posted: 8/5/2011 1:59:16 PM
OP...mattress disicion making paralysis....too many choices...I had this affliction myself a while back....I was looking to comparison price shop a leading maker of mattresses from store to store...it seems as if the maker sells everywhere but the model name is changed from retailer to retailer...so, rocket making science is required...

I finally decided to end the madness by going to a highly reputable local retailer and buying my mattress there...they delivered and installed...no fuss...no muss...satisfaction almost guarentee'd.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 32
Posted: 8/5/2011 2:30:24 PM

Waking up with swollen, red eyes, joint pain and other no-nos is not something you want to put up with for the life of the mattress after laying out the big bucks. Good wishes in finding the mattress of your dreams.

This happened to me redundantly. I agree about that "green" selling point and it's a mess if/when you don't research, research, research.

~OP~ I'm not "selling" Bamboo (although I guess it does seem that way...LOL) I had an air mattress for a while and although it slept OK ~ the loss of air and the inconvenience of re-airing grew laborious for me personally (it's temperature sensitive ~ low air in the heat, cold/rigid in the winter.) I know some people are OK with the down-falls, but when I sleep (rather IF I sleep) I wanna do it at will, not dependent upon my mattress. I found this in a foreign news release/advertisement and it sort of explains the "jist" of Bamboo (keep in mind, there are impersonators when speaking of Bamboo. You have to make certain you are getting the real deal!!)

If you suffer from allergies, a bamboo mattress may be a particularly good choice for you. Pesticides, herbicides, and chemicals are normally not used on bamboo, because it grows very well naturally, therefore you won’t have negative reactions that are often correlated with the use of these products. Due to its natural antibacterial properties, bamboo is resistant to fungi, pests, and bacteria, which may help avoid allergic reactions. It is important to remember that some people can be allergic to bamboo fabric, but this normally only occurs when they are allergic to other similar natural products. Bamboo mattresses also tend to stay cleaner and less smelly than other mattresses, because of their anti-bacterial nature.

So far? I'm personally sold on Bamboo and I'm not really ever "sold" on anything. Waterbeds are outdated, hard to move, heavy and cumbersome, albeit, likely comfortable if you can get them regulated. I'm not that patient. Air beds? Nice cheap option, but not for the endurance and ultimately? Not all that comfy. Spring mattresses? I'm not old enough to need help in the sex department. We do just fine without springs. (But I can see where that may be important to some. LOL) I am currently looking for a new Bamboo myself. You can have them FedEx'ed if there isn't a dealer in your area. That's likely what I will do. Hope you find what you're looking for. Happy sleeping!!!
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 8/5/2011 5:08:01 PM
Can you send us links on the state of bamboo mattresses? Kinda new to me since my last sincere research.

The blow up beds are usually PVC, polly-vinyl chloride, highly toxic and outgas monsters of the highest degree.

A friend of mine invested in an all cotton, organic, futon mattress a few years ago to allieviate her mattress blues and has been happy with the comfort, hardness, and quality of her sleep and sex life since.

Have heard many nightmare stories from my multiple chemical sensitivity, MCS, friends over the years of mattress stories gone so wrong. Never thought about it much until they started comparing notes. Hate to be bamboozled as much as lied to by the chemical foam people, but we live in an age where lies don't have the shelf life they once did and people can sleep safer and better.
 MondoVman
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 8/5/2011 10:44:23 PM
I have slept on my Land and Sky California King waterbed mattress since Fall 1985 (a 25+ year old vinyl? mattress) that looks brand-new! As a previous poster weighed-in on hers, the combination of mattress and heater results in year round heavenly comfort, to which I'll add results in great sex and hilarity in re-positioning. The only challenge I recall was the circus-like maneuver my pregnant wife perfected getting out of bed.
 professora
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 8/15/2011 2:56:30 PM
Go a store that gives you a guarantee.

I paid $399 for a queen with free delivery.

If it does not work out--some stores will take a return in 30 days

Peppie
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Take it to the mattresses