Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 platypus_man
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Victim of a Mid Life Crisis, How do you recover from it???Page 5 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)

When men have midlife crisis, they want to buy a beautiful convertible sports car and find younger, more beautiful women

See, this is where people keep making the same mistake. This is not the symptom of a 'midlife crisis'. All men want this from the time they are teens through their elderly years. It has nothing to do with mid life. The most common reason for the confusion, is that when guys reach their middle years, that's when they can finally afford that beautiful sports car/motorcycle/boat. Middle aged men are at their peak earning power, because of that, they are also attractive to younger women who want the 'good things in life', so those men simply finally have the option to act on what they've wanted all along.
The only change, is that a middle aged man's wife is no longer as attractive as the other women that he now, finally, has the option of dating. The middle aged man isn't the one with the 'crisis'. His wife is.
 Aura1shine
Msg: 95
Victim of a Mid Life Crisis, How do you recover from it???
Posted: 8/18/2013 1:14:51 AM

Middle aged men are at their peak earning power, because of that, they are also attractive to younger women who want the 'good things in life', so those men simply finally have the option to act on what they've wanted all along.
The only change, is that a middle aged man's wife is no longer as attractive as the other women that he now, finally, has the option of dating. The middle aged man isn't the one with the 'crisis'. His wife is.

LOL....this is may be true but men would not get to that point alone if he married. He has someone on his side and behind to help him get there and built substantial amount of wealth "to be attractive" to younger women.

So, his "crisis" is how to get away from sharing half of equity that they both had built up together.
 sexandthepof
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Posted: 8/18/2013 7:25:12 AM
“All men want this from the time they are teens through their elderly years.”

There’s a saying: “No man succeeds without a good woman behind him.” And see how many men there are in the world, from the president(s) to CEO’s and managers, etc…, when they succeed, they have money and power, and they get tired of their “old” wives and then turn around and cheat on them. Cheaters, betrayers.

Yeah, maybe they feel proud and happy at the moment they have the younger and more beautiful girls than their wives, but sooner or later they learn those are the “gold diggers” as most men say, then they feel tired of them too… and many of them have to pay a big price for cheating. The higher, powerful ones loose their reputation. The lower ones loose their good wives, families, homes and respect from their children.

If you agree it is midlife crisis, you have an excuse. If you don't agree with the midlife crisis, then you don't have an excuse. You are just a plain cheater or a betrayer.
 platypus_man
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Posted: 8/21/2013 7:27:36 PM

So, his "crisis" is how to get away from sharing half of equity that they both had built up together

What I'm saying, is that it's not a crisis. This is something he's been doing all his life. The whole 'mid life crisis' is something that a lot of people think is a sudden change in how a guy feels in life because they think he's suddenly wanting a young, hot woman and expensive sports cars. It's not; we have always wanted those things. But in mid life, they become more available to us.

There’s a saying: “No man succeeds without a good woman behind him.”

Yes, a quote of a woman, or even maybe a guy trying to placate the woman he's with; after all, words are cheap, and we know how women eat up compliments. There are plenty of successful men out there who have no 'women' behind them at all. That saying is simply from someone else who wants to claim it was their hard work, not that particular man's, that made him successful. Baloney.
They don't suddenly get tired of their 'old' wives and then turn around and cheat on them. About 75% of husbands cheat on their wives, and I assure you, most of them aren't wealthy. Of the men I know, I know for sure that half of them have stepped out on their wives at one time or another. None have more than average incomes. But average is enough. Those younger women aren't exactly gold diggers; they're just looking for a decent, stable guy with a good job! And there are plenty of women that have absolutely no trouble with the idea of taking another woman's man, the most often heard type of comment is something to the effect of, 'she doesn't know what she has, and if she won't make him happy, I will'. Guys don't use the term midlife crisis. Women do. They know they are cheating on their wives, they don't care. At some point in their marriage, those guys (if they weren't cheating already, which, like I said, lots are) want to have sex and sometimes a real relationship with a different woman. That's how we're wired; the passion disappears after a number of years, and lots of people want it back, and you usually can't get that feeling again with the same person you've been with for 20 years. Some let the desire take over, some don't. Remember, half of all women in marriage cheat as well. So it's not limited to one sex. And I won't accept the defense that women only cheat after the man does. Of course, women all defend their infidelity by coming up with a reason other women will agree with, such as 'he wasn't taking care of my emotional needs'. Like that makes everything o.k. and she's justified on stepping out on him. But women won't accept ANY reason why a man might be unfaithful.
And the answer to the OP, who's long gone by now, is the same: find a new man.
 ladyc4
Msg: 98
Posted: 8/21/2013 8:53:46 PM

And the answer to the OP, who's long gone by now, is the same: find a new man.

Really? A new man who will feel free to cheat and be a general d*ckhead because according to some, that's what most men do and it's how the are wired?

Look, it may be the excuse YOU use for your actions, but there are PLENTY of men who respect their wives/SOs, don't get all pissy about who earns more money,and have long and functional marriages.
The problem for those of us who had a good man in their lives and lost him to death, is that most of the middle-aged men who are not married or in committed relationships are the ones who think that it is some hardwired male trait to be unfaithful,obstreperous, difficult,conniving-and that is why they are DIVORCED.
Yes, the Universe has 'salted' the dating field with just enough middle-aged unattached men who were genuinely victims of a bad wife, or who have been brought up short by their divorce and LEARNED something from it. And then the few middle-aged widowers( but just being a widower doesn't always mean that the guy is an undiscovered treasure,lol).
BTW the way I always saw/heard that maxim
it was "Behind every successful man is a woman telling him he's wrong"(before everybody gets all butthurt-that used to be a popular JOKE!)

I think if the OP moves on and finds a new man, she better screen pretty hard,and either find a guy whose earnings match hers, or a man who genuinely DOESN'T believe his penis is shortened if his woman earns more money. I noticed that some men here were awful quick to PRESUME that the OP somehow made an issue of her earning more than she did.
Cindy O
 pamioakley
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Posted: 8/22/2013 2:48:58 PM
How long have you been living apart? Are you divorced? If you are, then my question would be "what difference does it make what his motives are?" If you aren't divorced, then you need to determine whether or not you want him back (though I could not imagine why) and either go for it, or let the relationship go. I, too, had a very long marriage but when it was over, it was over. After that many years there is usually ALOT of water under the bridge - a flood of things that cannot be undone or unsaid. I'm not sure, but it sounds to me like you feel he didn't appreciate the material things you were able to provide for the two of you and are flabbergasted that he would be interested in someone with little to offer.
 NevadaCityAngel
Msg: 100
Posted: 8/22/2013 2:54:15 PM
OP,
The same thing happened to me. My then-husband, the center and love of my life, told me one day out of the blue that he was in a relationship with a woman 16 years younger, that he didn't want counseling and then he started listing the property he wanted. I heard him out calmly, then told him, "ok". I spent the next three days just trying to breathe, because I had loved him very much. During those days I focused entirely on releasing all of my pictures of our present and our future. My hopes and dreams of growing old with him. The fourteen years we had together.
Then I took some money out of our accounts, telling him what I was doing. I have always been civil to him during this process. He'd already snapped up $40K because he'd been planning this. I called my real estate agent, put our house on the market, set an appointment to house shop with the agent, and had sealed a rent-to-own (until our house sold it was the best I could do) within the week. A week after that I was moved. I pushed our divorce through in the next 45 days,when we both received our final judgement.
During this time he was spouting a lot of talk about my inadequacies as a wife. I listened patiently and silently, all the while thinking that he was describing himself with every word. He showed no care at all for my feelings. He talked constantly about his new woman in the glowing, romantic terms that he'd once used about me. His girlfriend dumped him the day he received his divorce papers. She liked flirting with married men. It just confirmed for me what I had been thinking all along about the situation; that he was a delusional mess.
Mid-life crisis appears when a man doesn't have a life purpose. Add any stress event, such as your job loss, and the pot boils over. He could be, like my ex-husband approaching his 50th birthday or marking the year anniversary of his Mother's death. Whatever it is, it is internal and about him. It's not about you. They do eventually snap out of it, but it takes years. Face the facts, my sister in disaster, you ex is your past and not your future. He's actually done you a huge favor by removing a heavy weight from your life. He's made it easy to divorce him and never look back. Why would you want that slut in your bed, ever again?
You need to get divorced, and hopefully get off the dating forum until you've healed. Think about it, and please keep repeating that he's your past and not your future. There are lots of adventures out there still waiting for you. Your husband isn't typical of men, he's more an example of mental breakdown. I have always felt compassion for my ex, never anger or blame. We had a great marriage and a quick divorce. I wish him well in life. Just; somewhere else.
 NevadaCityAngel
Msg: 101
Posted: 8/22/2013 5:59:08 PM
"The facts are that women almost always initiate divorces. Guys don't even when they are unhappy. If a guy
Does, its because HE DOES perceive inadequacies with the woman. The ugly, fat middleaged women in my park nevet admit any fault on their parts. Its always their husbands at fault. The guys move on. The women stay behind in the trailers, grow angier and fatter."

The facts? You have all of the facts? Must be nice to have all of the facts.

I'm slender, energetic, fun, successful, and attractive. My husband had smoking hot kinky sex whenever I could pull him into the bedroom. I'm a very easy "get-along" person and he had everything his way. I cooked excellent meals, fed farm animals and brought in six figures a year. The one thing I couldn't do was make myself younger. More importantly,I couldn't make him younger, or feel younger.
He's the angry person who isn't moving on and is growing fatter. My cell phone is full of his messages and he often shows up on my doorstep with things I forgot in the move. Last time it was a pair of salt and pepper shakers. I am having more fun than I've had in years and I am dating a terrific guy.

How does that fit your facts?
 bamagrl68
Msg: 102
Posted: 8/22/2013 7:53:01 PM
blissfullady- It sounds like a case of midlife crisis to me, but who knows?
This just happened and you are still hurt and rightfully so, what will it take to heal? Time
Give yourself the time you need> I highly suggest doing all you can not to give him one more day of your life, reach out to friends, do things you enjoy doing, get out in the fresh air and just take a walk, slowly but surely you will be ok.
 anita_lay
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Posted: 8/22/2013 8:50:10 PM
NevadaCityAngel: don't even bother engaging with this troll. He's just the latest version of the same boring and bored troll who gets his kicks from running women down, especially and particularly women older than 40. They're always married or partnered. This one's point of difference is that he apparently caused a car accident which left his partner brain damaged. Somehow, this isn't his fault. But it seems he's the one with the ugly personality, so who knows.
Anyway, ''it'' is best left alone. They respond to any attention, like weeds.
 Whisky_River
Msg: 104
Posted: 8/24/2013 12:52:48 PM

for a shallow relationship with the other woman who is in it just for the sex?

Now...that's a comedy statement...right there in itself.....lol.

They respond to any attention, like weeds

Yes....they become..... master baiters...don't bite at their nonsense...just start reporting these guys.
 sxymiss32
Msg: 105
Posted: 8/25/2013 1:19:29 PM
See a therapist!
 elmuchoburrito
Msg: 106
Posted: 9/21/2013 9:54:30 PM
It's not a crisis - you just no longer believe the set of lies that you had previously bought.

Love is a function of location, proximity, duration, frequency, capital and derivative family connections; remove each of them, and you will find how quickly you fall out of 'love'

Mid life crises should be scheduled -
I believe the previous service interval was seven years.
 gtomustang
Msg: 107
Posted: 9/26/2013 3:18:47 PM
1) what another person does, reflects upon...them. you are, whoever and whatever, you are. you are that person, regardless of what they act like. when i was a child, i hung around my parents' friends and there was a lady who always identitied herself as John Smith's wife, and when JohnSmith died, she continued to try to identify herself as someone who had successfully snared John Smith.

but, in reality...she was herself. and not the least bit happy about it.

if you fall for an insecure person b/c you are equally insecure, and they make you feel comfortable about your insecurity, then, well, yes, you're insecure. you're a person who choose insecure people. but, that's your issue. if they become secure, you're still a person who's insecure.

2)if a person blames you for their failures...how is that your problem? they're an adult, why can't they handle their stuff in life?

3)regardless of what material things a person has in their life, or lacks in their life--an opportunist is still an opportunist. whether letting the wife bring home the bacon, or using a young lady for sex, its still about taking the opportunity rather than taking the responsiblity. its all driven by the same goal in the person.

4)sometimes the midlife crisis is about doing better, other times its about returning to childhood. either way, how do you recover from someone else's idiocy? again, remember...its their reflection, not your's. it can be your issue if they stay, but once they go, its their issue. if you're a success, it doesn't matter if your marriage is a failure--you're still what you are. if your success was only based on being married, then you never were a success. but if you were a success based on WHO you are, not WHAT you are, then you are always who you are, no matter what happens to you.

if a storm wipes out your house, are you no longer a success? or do you just rebuild the house?
 DameWrite
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 9/27/2013 1:24:48 AM
OP: Sounds to me like he was always a flirt but because he was married he had to keep that part of his personality in check.

Maybe he didn't want to keep that part of him in check anymore so he did what he thought was best and he left.

I guess he figured he couldn't flirt or cheat and still be with you.

You didn't want to share him, right? He must have known this.

He didn't want to discuss it with you because he didn't want you to try to change his mind or judge him.

Isn't it going to be nice not to have to worry about him embarrassing you by flirting or cheating anymore?

Find someone more mature who has the same values as you have and look forward to the rest of your life.

Thinking about him will drain you, you don't need that anymore.
 IL_Capitano
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Posted: 9/27/2013 4:16:42 PM

This isn't just a male thing. Females go through it too.

Yop.... my ex went through it when she was 32 and most of her friends did pretty well the same thing within a couple of years of each other, all about the same age..... so, was that their MID-life crisis? ...

... and we hear so much about women living so much longer than men.....

and subconsciously (or consciously) feel life has passed them by; and they need somehow to jolt themselves into actually living rather than going through the motions like they feel they have been doing for years.

I think the only thing I'd add to this bit is that too many people believe the bullshit that everyone is entitled to a perfect life including perfect relationships and that if they feel any sort of dissatisfaction, the best thing to do is kick the current SO to the curb because there is a perfect match out there somewhere.

moonbeamlover
Msg: 110
Posted: 9/27/2013 4:29:22 PM

This isn't just a male thing. Females go through it too.

Yop.... my ex went through it when she was 32 and most of her friends did pretty well the same thing within a couple of years of each other, all about the same age..... so, was that their MID-life crisis? ...

nope; that's called peer pressure :)

and subconsciously (or consciously) feel life has passed them by; and they need somehow to jolt themselves into actually living rather than going through the motions like they feel they have been doing for years.

I think the only thing I'd add to this bit is that too many people believe the bullshit that everyone is entitled to a perfect life including perfect relationships and that if they feel any sort of dissatisfaction, the best thing to do is kick the current SO to the curb because there is a perfect match out there somewhere.

Very true. Many people will blame unhappiness on another person rather than understanding happiness is in huge part a personal choice of their own, based on what they focus on, and acceptance of what they can and can't control.

For those with a "victim" mentality; they focus on what they think is wrong, and they get their power and control by assigning blame; not understanding that control in a relationship can much better be spent communicating, switching their focus (focus on the positive rather than dwelling on the negative/bitter) and understanding even passive is a personal choice... and half the time blame is assigned it is based on a misunderstanding BETWEEN both of them rather than one straight out injuring the other (though in those cases where someone is dealing ith literal abuse, personal safety does actually require bailing until the person shows they want to take control of their behavior to not injure.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >