Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > California  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 superwoman02
Msg: 153
How many dates have you actually been on from POF?Page 10 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
Hi, I have only been on 3. Most of the time when I give a guy my phone number they start asing me for naked pictures before we have even met so I delete them and block the number. I don't know why your matches may lose interest but I try to meet as soon as possible if I am interested.
 hippygirlxoxo
Msg: 157
How many dates have you actually been on from POF?
Posted: 5/23/2012 2:46:22 PM
THANK YOU COWBOY! Well said.
 hippygirlxoxo
Msg: 158
Posted: 5/23/2012 2:52:49 PM
This is not difficult. You get the phone number. (long sigh...) You pick up the PHONE (remember what those used to be used for right?)

You CALL HER and ask her out. What is with this ridiculous texting B.S.

It is a PHONE. Call her and ask her out, thats why she gave you her number. She probably thinks your one of those time waster twits that only wants to play around and send texts after mom and dad are in bed. You get a phone number here you should immediately CALL her and if she sounds interesting you ASK HER TO MEET. Gawd you guys make the easiest stuff sound so hard on here. I could understand but you said you had received a HUNDRED phone numbers on here? WTF?

Cowboy

Right on the money
 Jennywillwin
Msg: 161
view profile
History
Posted: 6/8/2012 7:45:23 PM
I have now officially been on one date with another POFer. Let's just say some a little alcohol helped.
 irish_smackie
Msg: 162
Posted: 6/8/2012 10:16:44 PM
I've had several dates, but sort of took myself off the market by taking my photo down. It was kind of overwhelming to deal with so many people. First dates suck.
 MotoGPatrick
Msg: 163
Posted: 6/9/2012 10:04:43 PM
Just one date which turned into a mostly great 5 month relationship.. She could not handle my National Guard call up. So now I will just have a 1200lb manure maker waiting for me back home when I am down range.

Now I am just on here for forums and entertainment value.. I have had women hit on me IRL that are on par with the ones that don't respond online.. Does not matter if it is POF or the one that rhymes with "catch".
 foxonatrain
Msg: 167
view profile
History
Posted: 6/18/2012 6:18:30 PM
I can remember 4 dates, 2 with the same woman. One of them I actually kind of miss, it was about a year ago and we went to Starbucks. She just had a great personality and was very well grounded. Somebody you'd actually want to have a long term thing with. She wasn't interested though. The other women I could have done without.
 Jennywillwin
Msg: 168
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2012 1:52:08 PM
I just hid my profile. Six months dealing with the negativity on here is enough! The lies, the mediocrity, the inflated egos, serial daters,etc., I'm so done.
 Jennywillwin
Msg: 169
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2012 9:35:49 AM
^^^^ Hello and thank-you for the compliment :)
As I stated before, I had one date from POF. I was pretty sure beforehand that it wouldn't turn into anything but it was good practice for me.

When I originally got divorced 6 yrs. ago, I thought that dating might be challenging because I live inland and it's full of families,etc. but challenging is an understandment. Funny how men use the words drama and baggage but I have found they are the ones who have it or it's just extremely short attention spans. Like boys in a Candy Shop, they want to try it all!

My first date was from someone online on a different site. It was the worst date ever! He was mean and cheap and sizing me up whether I could be his Sugar Mama. Before we met at a resturant, he ordered his meal so I ordered separately and paid for mine. Which I'm fine with paying for my lunch but the way it happened was not classy. It was the start of a long afternoon. After some negative comments he made, the clincher happened. We ordered 2 beverages and when it came time to pay he made this big deal about whether he could break a $100 bill or charge it. He was taking his time then looked at me. I asked him if he wanted me to pay for it and he said yes. Lol, normally I would never say this but i said "You can pay for it." He did, we drank, and parted.
 KAKI3152
Msg: 170
view profile
History
Posted: 6/21/2012 11:08:43 AM
I've actually had about 4-5 dates and plan to go on a date this Saturday with a POF.

I've had some attention from women in other states who were attractive but I'm just not going to do a long distance relationship anymore. Too expensive and there is truth in the old saw "Absence just makes the heart grow fonder of someone else"

I contacted a fair amount of women when i first joined the site,which I don't do anymore.partly because I was in other relationships and partly because I found it unfruitful.So nowadays, I peruse the profiles mainly for entertainment.
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 171
Posted: 6/21/2012 11:25:53 AM
I have met about 60 women from POF, and had numerous dates. Meeting people online is a harrowing process for everybody: schedules, bad photos, personality issues, outright lying, scams, you name it, and we are all on guard. My solution is to meet someone, maybe see them again, then back off for a few months and stay in touch via phone or text. This gives us a chance to separate the hype from the person, and actually works quite well.
If we get together later on, we have already met, we know what to expect, and the pressure is gone, and so is the stigma of internet dating. It's just a normal boy/girl thing, like it should be.
 Beyond2011
Msg: 172
Posted: 6/21/2012 1:20:12 PM
wow lucky you :) im starting to think POF is only for pretty people, i cannot seem to get a reply i send messages all the time commenting on profiles and other things and get nothing back , its okay tho i still enjoy giving the compliments to otheres :)
 rod1919us
Msg: 173
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2012 9:59:46 AM
Wow,

reading some of these messages and I think I've done pretty well considering I haven't been on that long--think 6 months.

I've met up with...at least 8 women. I have to actually sit down and think about who I've met up with because there were quite a few that I was supposed to meet up with, but never did. *shrugs*
 rod1919us
Msg: 174
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2012 10:05:54 AM

She could not handle my National Guard call up

Real talk,

Consider it a blessing from the man upstairs. I've been deployed and the things some of these soldiers go through with their spouses and gf's when they're overseas is bad. It may sting at first, but it's better that way then to find out she's been sleeping with someone when you returned.
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 175
Posted: 6/24/2012 4:19:23 PM
msg 242 - Are you calling me a "pretty person" ? Hardly,,,
But, for the sake of discussion, you might want to ditch the "Charles Manson" look , that hasn't worked for 4 decades now. How about shaving your face, getting a haircut, and showing all the POF babes your eyes? And maybe even smile?
Makeovers are extremely effective at getting attention from the opposite sex. Oops, am I allowed to say "sex" on POF ?
Anyway, give it a try.
 Jennywillwin
Msg: 176
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2012 4:30:36 PM
Most people are capable of improving their appearance and are well aware of what they can do, if they choose to do so. Funny how certain people who need the most work are the ones telling other people to work on themselves while they need to fix their own character flaws ; /
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 177
Posted: 6/25/2012 11:54:37 AM
Re: Msg 242 - Please note that POF has made an instructional video that appears in the "edit profile" page, and "my" suggestions mirror POF's thoughts of what works, as opposed to what doesn't work for the purpose of online dating.
If you want to have success in this venue, I encourage you to adopt POF's concepts. They invented it, they track everything, and they know what works.
 foxonatrain
Msg: 178
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2012 6:15:52 PM

It's easy to think that looks are everything.

Then someone comes along to prove you wrong. ;)

I'm not sure who, but somebody just got burned.
 cttnpony1
Msg: 179
Posted: 6/27/2012 1:26:38 PM
Between Aug/2011 and March/2012 I probably met in person about 25-30 men. The majority were interesting and polite. Second dates with maybe five of them. I encouraged meeting in person very quickly after initial contact and often met men out of my "type" which led to more meetings. It also helped me learn about myself.
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 181
Posted: 7/1/2012 8:09:32 PM
Scary - I hear you.
Over here in the desert we have a place called Las Vegas, and they are experts in all kinds of gambling. They have mathematical calculations of how many will win, and how many will lose, and the thing is - they are rarely wrong. I don't go there, because I know I will lose.
We use online dating sites knowing that as males, the math is way against us. Personally, that doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies. How hard do I want to try when I know that the odds are stacked against me? I do OK just by doing nothing, if a woman sents me a flirt, I flirt back. If she wants to meet, I go.
At the same time, I think it's wise to spend a little more attention on the women you see every day. At the market, in a cafe, walking down the street.
It's been my experience that many women treat online men as not quite equal to "real" men, not worthy of much respect. You may not believe this, but I have a lady friend from POF that I have been chatting with, texting, on the phone, for about 18 months, and still have not met face to face. And she lives 5 miles away too!! I asked her to meet last night,,, she said she was busy, oh well.
She'll call back. She always does.
 MotoGPatrick
Msg: 182
Posted: 7/1/2012 9:08:12 PM
I get emails on here, m@tch, and on okcup!d from women outside my age bracket or those totally incompatable saying I am hot..etc..

Online women get reverse beer goggles. The longer they are logged in the worse guys look even if women in the real world are all over that guy.

While I am deployed I may still mess with online dating sites. Mostly for entertainment but perhaps to setup a date when I get home. If it is anything like the last one I wont have anything to do but work on aircraft and work out so I will get home all ripped up like last time... So when I get back I might just update photos and ignore while I do my PT runs on the beach with my shirt off.

LAgoodguy
Msg: 189
Posted: 8/10/2012 8:26:13 AM
For me been on here for a long time. Went out on a couple of dates, One I went out for a short time. But found her very boring and just stoped. I dont realy MSG much on here I try and send one MSG every month but thats about it.
What worked for me much better is Craigslist. Funny thing some of the Craigslist replies I got are from women who have profiles on here, Figure that one out..
When someone mentions that guys get no dates and women do.. Those women have to go out with some lucky guy lol. Unless you got 10 guys who date the 50 women.
Guys you have to remember in LA area there are about 10,000 more women then men and thats for ALL ages.. So I figure there are about as many women as there are men. We also have one of the highest number of single people in one area.. Its not going to get any better only harder to date. LA and NYC have the highest # of singles over the age of 40. The numbers keep getting bigger every few years. So all of you under the age of 40 know what to expect and for us over the age of 40 thats where we are at already. You are better off putting more effort doing your best to better your own life. Then putting all this effort into dating.

People demand and expect alot from someone they meet, Cause they know they deserve it and they would not settle for anything less then they they are owed..
 Marcia_77
Msg: 192
view profile
History
Posted: 9/28/2012 10:44:31 PM
So far about 5. I'm really picky about who I will spend my time with. As of right now their is 1 guy that I'm interested in.
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 196
Posted: 10/4/2012 9:02:53 PM
Red- Women are pretty skittish online, and you have to give them time
to reach a comfort zone. Sometimes this never seems to happen, but use
your own judgment and you'll do just fine.
 hockeylover26
Msg: 197
view profile
History
Posted: 10/4/2012 11:52:25 PM
I have been on the site a while. Probably like 3 years give or take. For a long time I didn't really even make an effort, and probably went like 8 or 9 months without checking the site. But recently I have made an effort, and I have only had 2 girls respond, yet I have messaged a ton. Clearly I am doing something wrong. Anyway, I set up a date with one girl, who stood me up, then blocked me before I could get a reason as to why I was stood up (wonderful), and after that I almost quit the site, but even with a lack of responses I am still trying to believe something will happen eventually. The only other girl who responded to me deleted her profile after 3 messages back and forth. So I am not doing so well around here.
Show ALL Forums  > California  >