Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > California  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 frijolera_ninja
Msg: 66
How many dates have you actually been on from POF?Page 2 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
lol you just like her cuz a hockey (jk)! Thats good you have that in common.
 KAKI3152
Msg: 67
view profile
History
How many dates have you actually been on from POF?
Posted: 12/31/2011 3:31:51 PM
Ok, I've actually been on two dates through POF.
One woman I actually saw for a while,but she had too many problems, lived far away and we called it quits after one month or so.

I've had some nibbles that went nowhere but were still fun.
 KAKI3152
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 1/1/2012 8:13:48 AM
Hey, just received a nice "hi" message from an attractive woman. The New Year is starting out fine.
 ponygt
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2012 1:03:48 PM
Two dates....with the same person. Then stopped hearing from her.

Que sera sera.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 1/9/2012 5:36:41 PM
when I first started using this site, I met quite a few men from this area ... none of them considered me to be a "keeper" or the other way around ... I can't recall exactly how many initial meets I went on ...

one year, I think I went on possibly 6 or so initial meets ... dated one man 3 or more times (he was really fascinating but I'm allergic to cats and he had several) ... dated another man maybe 11 times but he turned out to be a Republican ... (sorry ... couldn't resist!)

then there was 1 man who scared me so badly that I stopped all contacts after that point!

I only dated a few men in 2011 ... but timidly, you know ... I'm thinking now that the scary dude was just a fluke and I may be interested in giving dating a try again!

people who date online need to be braver than I am ... apparently.
 SHAYKE
Msg: 76
Posted: 1/16/2012 10:51:04 PM
The common complaint by guys in the POF community is that you don't get many RESPONSES, let alone many dates. Most likely depends on the area you are located though. Maybe women in smaller towns don't feel like being bothered by just any ol' guy that they may come in contact with often because of proximity. I'm probably reading more into it....I mean what man really knows what a woman is thinking the majority of the time?

I've gotten a few nibbles but then again, I'm the fool who is on a dating site looking to make friends. I can see that being a limitation.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2012 12:38:15 AM
back when I was going to a lot of dances, like 2 or 3 a week, I traveled in a "pack" ... I belonged to three clubs that were social in nature and, following our weekly club meetings, we'd frequently go dancing ...

I doubt that, when you walk in alone, Rich, people consider you a "loser" ... but they might wonder if you're a "loner" ... not that it matters because men are always welcome at dances ... there were usually more women than men at dances ... my friends and I were always interested in actually dancing ... it's more fun to dance with a man than sit at the table, sipping a drink and pretending to enjoy sitting at the table!

I was always the brave one in my group who would get up and actually ask a man to dance! then I'd bring him back to our table, introduce him to everyone ... when I'd driven beyond my comfort zone to have fun ... I wanted to have fun!

I've met far more men thru PoF than thru eHarmony OR Match.com ... incidentally ... those sites don't actually have an incentive to find you a match ... if you find a match, you stop paying them ... it's in their best interest to have you keep paying ...
 Molly Maude
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2012 12:54:58 PM
sure the PoF website wants to keep us here ... witness the forums!

I ended my associations with e.Harmony and Match.com a VERY long time ago ...

BUT ... when I was with e.Harmony, for example, you couldn't just CONTACT someone ... you had to be REFERRED to someone ... based on their "29-levels-of-compatibility" ... then you had to press a button and just ask e.Harmony's stock pre-printed questions ... couldn't just type whatever comment or question you'd like ... it was all very controlled by e.Harmony ... eventually, after you'd spent MONTHS jumping through e.Harmony's hoops ... they'd let you actually communicate with someone ...

maybe that's changed now since I stopped paying them money a very long time ago ... but, when I was with Match.com and e.Harmony, there was a lot of money flowing from my hands to their sites ... and very few contacts ... the CLOSEST man e.Harmony ever allowed me to contact was in Monterey ... another in Merced!

of course, PoF wants us here ... that's why the forums inspire us to stick around!
 mateo45
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2012 1:57:17 PM
Well, I’m gonna go out on a limb here, and say that IMHO, there are probably way more “serious” males dating online than there are “serious” females, simply due to the “mechanics” of male/female dating (males pursue/females pick).

And you only have to view the same old threads over and over here, to see that even online, most women basically still wait for the guy to take the “initiative”. But since many women also get “pursued” (aka, hit on) a lot, both online and IRL, yet so many guys here (of all sorts) keep mentioning either no “takers” or else lotsa skittish “disappearing” action… then what’s the explanation? Except that IMO, online dating just attracts more than its share of gals who really aren’t that serious to begin with (here or elsewhere). But by posting a profile with really no investment or accountability, it gives ‘em the feeling that they’re still “players” and are still “in the game”! So they still get the "attention" and some "takers", but I believe the expression is, they’d really rather “cut bait” than “fish”!

And before anyone goes off on me, am not saying that it’s true of all women, or even all women online, but I’d wager there’s definitely a much higher number of those "fickle" types here than IRL!
 gregory805
Msg: 83
Posted: 1/20/2012 2:37:57 PM
OMG too many to count. This site used to be really cool before someone got greedy and took all the good parts away. Like seeing who really viewed you or seeing if someone read your mail or just deleted it. Also rateing pics used to be fun and you could see what age group rated you highest. Lots more things that I am sure you will never see here again even if you "UPGRADE:" What a crock! This site has made a bundle on ads because of the traffic it generated when it was free and worked so well. Now they want us to pay ? I have found when ever you find a dating site that you must pay for it never works. Noone pays so you register and try to send mail but they never get and you never know. They sell your info to spammers and then claim rights to your photos and keep you on the site even if you have deleted your acount to make it seem like they have more people than they really do. What could be lower than trying to make money off of peoples loneliness? This site was the best thing out there......now it sucks really. Good luck. Id go to the grocery store and wear cologne??????????????????????????????????Better chances and you get something for your money.
 Wonder5750
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2012 12:13:02 PM
I am the odd one out.. I get my feelings hurt, when folks stop chatting lol I like meeting people.. not everyone is going to be my "soul mate".

I think everyone likes the attention, but perhaps the goals are not the same for all. I still don't know most peoples goals here.

I am older too so I am sure its not the same for me as it is for others. I don't need someone to take care of me, I just want someone to care for me. But its all good.. a learning experience if nothing else. :)
 Wonder5750
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2012 2:12:17 PM
Hey Now... wait a minute.. I'm not dead yet.. just not 30 anymore hahahahaa But yes priorities change when you are over 50. And you can't have too many friends.. ever :)
 john_in_bh
Msg: 90
Posted: 2/6/2012 5:39:37 PM
I have had at least a dozen dates over the years being on and off the site. They were all one date wonders. Besides those I have had only one short term relationship out of this.

A few posts back, there was an off topic discussion about the annoying ads you see everywhere on POF. In the days I had to look at those, I saw whores with huge boobs and tons of total garbage ads for total garbage sites. I remember one time I had the "Online Now" screen up and this POF girl with huge boobs hanging out was right under a girl in an ad that looked the exact same. It was so classic I had to save a screenshot of it!

If you are sick of seeing that crap it's very simple. Dump slow bulky Internet Explorer and download the Firefox browser. Once downloaded install the ad on "True Block" (Ad Block without the "white list").

Result, faster browsing and never having to see a whore ad on POF or ads anywhere else. The best part, it also blocks ads in the beginning of You Tube videos and other videos.

It's not perfect, I prefer the bookmarking with IE. However, without having to see annoying ads all the time and getting faster downloads it's well worth the trade off.
 Patientonr
Msg: 93
Posted: 2/15/2012 1:25:46 AM
U don't take this site serious? Why are you here? Most people on these sites want a specific type of person. If U put a younger, more buffed pix and then show up in person, guess what. The person first of all prob won't recognize you, won't believe in you and will tell you to prob bug off. If you are finding; they are superficial because they don't like you or your pix, get a grip! You are not their type. If you talk stupid to them then you want a stupid person. Smart people are not attracted to stupid people. Good luck to you!
 frijolera_ninja
Msg: 97
Posted: 2/15/2012 10:53:27 AM

If she tells me to take my hands off her, guess what that means?

SECURITY!
 Wonder5750
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2012 12:24:27 PM
Okay.. this is what I am seeing.. if I can get some verification that would be great.

People build up this persona hidden behind the computer. I am this, I am that, you talk on the phone, lots of optomism, stories, laughter. Then time comes to meet.... Oh I can't do it that day, I have something coming up, ect

It seems to me the longer you wait to meet the harder it is. expecations are high, people realize they can't pony up to the story they have told. Some I think just come on here to chat and see how many they can get on the hook, and never really plan on meeting in person.

I know bs.. I get that, but I honestly think people forget they aren't superman, or as giving and kind as they portray themselves to be. They want to meet, but then reality slaps them in the face. They aren't 100% that person they "told" you they were.

This site has been kind of hard on me, a learning experience for sure, but hard just the same.
 Wonder5750
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2012 12:31:42 PM
what a waste of energy. I just don't get it. If you saw me in the grocery store you would recognize me. If I tell you someing, its true, no false pretenses, no bs. Where is the place for others like that? Its almost looking like meeting people in bars isn't all that bad. lol
 Wonder5750
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2012 8:33:38 PM
'Below- Why does it matter where you meet someone? If you met a guy at a university seminar that's good, but if you met the same guy at Pep Boys it's somehow different? Are you looking for a man, or some kind of future prestige with your gf's?"

Not sure where this is coming from. I am looking for someone sure.. thats why I am here. I have no one that I feel I need to impress. Not my style. I am just wondering how to keep things honest. I don't like dishonesty.... at least when you meet people in person you SEE them. Here you can put a pic from 10 years ago, or lie about your age, or what ever. Time is the only thing we can't get back. Why would you waste it if there are other options. Sometimes I really just wonder about human nature. Why you even felt the need to say something so off the wall. It doesn't matter where I meet folks, I am not much of a drinker, but in my youth that is where we would go to meet guys at bars and parties. I was hoping there was a better option. I thought that was rather obvious.. but apparently not.
 john_in_bh
Msg: 102
Posted: 2/16/2012 4:30:41 PM

I'm new here - but I've had 7 conversations/emails, of which:

1 - is a total flake,
3 - are very smart from their conversations,
3 - I'm hoping to meet in person.
------
0 - in person. But I'm optimistic.

I am not new here, and I can tell you this from experience...

Well when you first join, you will get some initial emails since you are fresh fish. After a few of months that will slowly disappear all together.

Not only will you become pessimistic, but your ego will be crushed along with that.

As Rich points out, it means nothing to even have a date (I have had many off of this over the years) because after your date your potential mate will promptly throw you under the bus if you slip up even in the slightest way. Why? because she knows for a fact that when she gets home there will be another 10 new emails waiting for her. The constant attention makes her have unrealistic expectations.

If you want that "second" date, you can always go for the 300 pounder that sent you an initial email. Receiving initial emails is great and almost assures you some type of short term relationship at the least, but 99.999999% of the time it's someone most guys won't even go near.

And the cycle continues...
 Roujin
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Posted: 2/16/2012 4:37:09 PM
To JS: Do Libraries still exists in California?

In response to the Op, I have had Zero dates from this site. Which at first I thought was due to a bad profile or bad messages, but now I feel like it is more of the area I live in.

Its true that there are not many areas to really try and get to know someone outside of a bar, which sucks for those of us that don't drink, or would rather not have a partner 1 step away from AA.
 Roujin
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Posted: 2/21/2012 3:35:14 PM
I think this type of site is much better for those living in a large city, this would make sense considering that these type of sites are huge in Japan (due to the high density population within the main cities, and the almost barren rural areas.) So you might want to take that along with your total date counts vs others.
 Carters_finest
Msg: 106
Posted: 2/21/2012 5:23:15 PM
Ive been on 3 dates one of which was just completely uncomfortable, totaly wasnt digging the girl, another at which the girl was really pretty on pictures but wasnt nearly as pretty but she was cool, she had a beautiful personality but was alittle overweight, then the 3rd girl was totaly a catch, smart, career minded woman , i actually made her my girl later finding out she was a complete stalker and i mean stalker like waiting infront of your house at 3am in the morning, going through phones, looking at receipts, asking 21 questions everyday, who what, when, why, how. it was stressful as hell, we went to a restaurant and i had some light drink with alcohol, she slipped a zanex bar in my drink and my body didnt take it well 30mins into it i went to the bathroom passed out, i was told they found me in the mens room on the floor passed the hell out, apparently alot more then that happened that night but i dont remember a single thing, she later on told me she did it and apologized, check this out she was a RN at riverside hospital lol so she had to have known what it would do to me. Anyway make a long story short i had 3months of hell, only thing was good was the sex and of course the way she looked. Finally i changed all my numbers and through her the hell out of my apartment but it was a disaster.
 Roujin
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Posted: 2/21/2012 7:32:50 PM
They don't work the same, in a large city the population is so dense that people have a harder time connecting to each other, where in a small city/town the local population has less of an issue meeting people due to the lack of so many people being crammed together.

So since they can't as easily meet they turn to dating sites to fill in for the over crowded (bars/dating areas) that big cities are known for. There is a reason why speed dating is becoming a thing in cities but not in the rural areas.
 frijolera_ninja
Msg: 119
Posted: 2/27/2012 10:04:37 AM
Pics, height, kids, job, demographics pretty much in that order too. No need for a detailed profile if your pics are whack.
 Wonder5750
Msg: 121
view profile
History
Posted: 3/4/2012 7:51:04 AM
Dang Steve, that sounds aweful. I just talked to a guy that told me a simular experience. It seems they are making sure you aren't like the last guy that was unkind to them. Instead of looking at you for you....they are lookng to make sure you aren't "him". she has self worth issues as well, on total self destruct from what I can tell. I hope the next lady you meet is kinder :)
Show ALL Forums  > California  >