Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Obese parents with obese kids      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Belle Requin
Msg: 20
Obese parents with obese kidsPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)

if "genetics" were to account for that, how could this be? we are descended from those people of 100 years ago and 'genetics' do NOT change that fast, takes thousands & thousands of years to mutate/adapt.
Really? Really????

The food that we eat has changed DRAMATICALLY in the last hundred years. Meats are no longer raised naturally. Sugar is added to waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more foods- and not just sugar, but high fructose corn syrup most of the time. Find a condiment besides ketchup, mustard, or mayo, and it probably has HFCS added to it. As a Canuck, you will more likely see 'glucose-fructose/sugar' which is how it's labeled in Cda. It's the same thing.

And, I would dare argue that there wasn't such a reliance on grain back then. And, even if the rise in grain consumption is only moderate (even though corn and wheat are added to so many 'healthy' processed goods) thost grains have been significantly modified.

So no, maybe our genes haven't changed that much in the 100 years, but the food has changed dramatically.
As to activity, I don't think a hundred years ago people had gym memberships. Nowadays, lots of people still find themselves over weight despite working out regularly- which again, suggests the problem is the food itself, not just it's caloric value.
 totalazzhole
Msg: 21
Obese parents with obese kids
Posted: 8/17/2011 3:37:57 PM
^^

yes, that's why I said: "the bigger more, obvious changes are FAR less physical activity, and far more consumption of processed/"junk" foods.. " in the previous post

note the part that says: "far more consumption of processed/"junk" foods.. "

yes, so about 30-40% of people have gym memberships..the majority do not, and even of those that do, many go once every week or 2..not steadily..(this is how gym owners make good profits, sell memberships to people that rarely, if ever, attend -far more profitable that the people who go 5 , 5 or 7 x per week); of the rest, so they go 1/2- 1 hour 3 or 4 x per week..my point is that 100 years ago, MOST people did physical work (using their bodies to bend, lift, hoist, etc..) 8-10 hours per day, 5 or 6 days per week, ; now the majority do nothing more strenuous at work than shuffle through a file folder or tap on a keyboard. probably makes a huge difference..the old saying is, to look like a marathoner, train like one or to look like a sprinter , train like one... thus to look like an egg or a pear, I guess it would be good to live like the average 21st-century office worker, sit 90% + of the day..sit in the car to work then sit down in the office, sit in the car again, get home & sit in front of TV or computer (internet), etc.
 totalazzhole
Msg: 22
Posted: 8/18/2011 5:21:56 PM
^^^
also I'm pretty sure people used to walk much more for transportation rather than drive their car ONE BLOCK to go to the corner store as I see many do lately..to pick up a pack of smokes, often..egads, kids even used to walk to school, IMAGINE THAT ..unlike most today who are chauffeured..from door to door. (house to school)

DAILY activity, they didn't HAVE to have a 'gym membership' to have physical activity
 MsMuscleChick
Msg: 23
Posted: 8/18/2011 6:13:07 PM
Flick, I had to laugh when I saw this. I got to the Gym today, I stop at the front desk to say hi to someone and these 3 large women were complaining they needed to provide parking closer for the people who did not *want to walk* from the rear parking lot which was MAYBE a 10 minute stroll to the door. I was like really?

Meanwhile, 2 of the 3 were eating a snickers candy bar. And not the little one either.

Un fkn real.
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 24
Posted: 8/18/2011 6:27:43 PM

...this is how gym owners make good profits, sell memberships to people that rarely, if ever, attend -far more profitable that the people who go 5 , 5 or 7 x per week);...

I would say they make thier money not just from under-utilization of the memberships but more on the premise that people need to join a gym to lose weight.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Obese parents with obese kids