Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 3
Ok, so there's this 18 year old at work that got me thinkingPage 4 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
perv!!

Have most of us lost that sweet, funny 18 year old inside of us? Can we get it back? Do we want it back?

Nah, it is IN there but buried under all that "responsible" stuff we have added over the years..
If you haven't yet realized: You have the most fun when you can let some of it back out and share it with another person who can let THEIRS back out at the same time as yours..
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 7
Ok, so there's this 18 year old at work that got me thinking
Posted: 8/12/2011 9:28:10 AM
I just notice a lot of either/or and not a healthy mix of the two.

What many mature people may evince on the surface is a deeply-embedded, now default ROLE..

That role may have gotten them their current status and perks, so they may be loathe to lower it and show their inner 18yr old to anybody they don't absolutely trust..

It may have been SO long for some, that they may have almost forgotten how to relax and play in the sandbox with other "kids"..

Maybe some simple toys can help bring out their inner child.. Digging for sandcrabs in the beach sand, jumping waves, boogey-boarding,
soap bubbles at the park, splashing in the pool, puppies and bunnies to hold, etc.. S
 MsMicki
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 8/12/2011 10:16:58 AM
Was just discussing this at a street concert last night!!
While people watching......I got a kick out of some of the "senior citizens" having way more fun than some of the 20 - 30 years olds.
One man in particular, was obviously dealing with the after effects of a stroke.
One arm and one leg just didn't work well anymore.
But that man was up and dancing away to almost every song.....didn't give a damn how he looked or that he couldn't keep the beat like I'm sure he did 40 years ago.
Yet.....the younger crowd wouldn't be caught dead dancing in the street. (Put a few shots of booze in the same group in a bar and they would be dancing all night. )
One little girl was trying very hard to get the "mommies" in her group to get up and dance with her....and they wouldn't do it. Yet the 70 year old lady beside them jumped right up and danced with that little girl!!
I think we get to a stage in our lives.......where we remember the "fun" times are the ones to hold onto.....and we also just don't give a chit anymore what others think!

Me.......I don't feel any older than I did 30 years ago mentally. I still do some quite silly things.....and I laugh about it for days with my friends. Doesn't mean I'm not "responsible".......just means I still know how to let it all go once I clock out for the day!
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 16
Posted: 8/12/2011 12:31:43 PM
In my house there are always 20 year old's hanging about.

Of course they are totally carefree, and it's wonderful to partake in their attitude.

So to keep me from bouncing back to life and responsibilities, I have a sign posted on my door ...

"You are never too old ... to have a happy childhood."

Works for me!
 Moonchild51
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 8/12/2011 1:25:17 PM

The only thing I've "lost" - and it's not really a loss! - is spontaneous, instantaneous, undesired erections.

^^couldn't figure out why it was a loss until I read the "undesired" part!

Hey Procol my old friend? Not all of us have lost our inner child. If anything, I think I am reverting backwards! Life is not life unless we live it to our fullest potential and a huge part of that is having fun! And I dont really care much what others think, as long as I am not hurting anyone...now I have embarassed my kidlets from time to time. They think since I am an old codger I have to act like one? Ummm nope! You will catch me on the porch of the Shady Pines retirement home, drinking a glass o bubbly an poking young male nurses with my cane!
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 8/12/2011 3:55:06 PM
Not I.

When I was 18, I was a social idiot with raging hormones and no basic training, watching out for the Draft notice in the mail. I wasn't wild and adventurous, I was scared, lonely, bored.

I much funnier and sweeter now, because I no longer desperately hope a cute girl will laugh at my jokes.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 22
Posted: 8/12/2011 5:35:34 PM
Never wanna go back to the shy, tongue tied, worried 18 year old that I was. I've worked vewy vewy hard to let her go, and set her free. And getting better at it as I go along.

Always liked that song: Stay Young, Keep Your Wheels in Motion. . . .

I think peeps come in at least two basic versions -- those who had easy childhoods, and who peak in about high school; and those who didn't, who peak about an hour before they die. At least that's my hope. And the second is who I look for. They may not be 10's visually, but man oh man, worth waiting for. . . .

Molly Maude
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 8/12/2011 6:14:21 PM
at 18, I believe I was not all that funny OR sweet! the 18-year-old me was about equivalent to an 80-year-old woman, carrying the cares of the world on her shoulders ... sooooo serious! soooo concerned about the future ... I don't want to get "her" back ...

I'm much sweeter and funnier now ... more carefree ... not concerned much at all about what people think ...

sadly, however, I still have the 4-year-old version of me within, just waiting for a chance to break free and take over ... SHE'S a hoot! a dentist prescribed Xanax for me to take before my appointment some years ago ... effectively getting rid of all the grown-up years and letting the 4-year old loose! after the dental appointment, the 4-year-old was still in control ... she was thrilled to have legs long enough to drive ... went to Red Lobster and bought an ENTIRE dark chocolate cake ... then went to a bakery and bought ALL THEIR COOKIES!

that kid's a hazard ... sure not taking Xanax again ...

Moonchild51
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 8/12/2011 6:19:03 PM
What an awesome, awesome thread Procol! I see a lot of how I feel in some of the posts that others have made. Two that struck me the most...one was how the gal felt more happy, free and young since her divorce. The other was about those who were living the comfy life as younguns and petered out early. The fighters of life, the ones who really got into the nitty gritty so to speak, live with a fire within...that never goes away, no matter what age! Awesome comments folks! Thank you.
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 29
Posted: 8/12/2011 11:34:23 PM

I was a very serious 18 year old. I did some wild things, but I did them very seriously. I had ulcers and bad headaches. I don't ever want to be that person again.

...Can I ever identify with that. I too was very serious, only because I had so much responsiblity piled on my shoulders....I didn't know how to be young and carefree.

Now that I am older, my kids are grown (and mostly on their own) I have a whole new attitude. I can finally relax and enjoy life...and I am a much happier person than when I was at 18.

And speaking of being silly....whenever I get together with my sister we seem to bring out the best in one another...seriously, I am at my very best when I am with her. It;s not unusal to laugh until the tears are streaming down our faces. That's the way it always is... we can be as silly as we want and we don't care. And we have pictures to prove it.

Thanks for starting such a positve thread...so refreshing.

...mae
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 8/12/2011 11:47:17 PM
Mr. OP...good post. I've felt a lot of the same things you have. Sometimes it used to get me down then I thought about this.

Our 18 yr. old is still there, In my case he now has 37 more years of experience to draw on. In those years maybe he's slowed down and has a few more aches and pains. Doing what you have to do instead of what you want to do can be a real buzzkill at times. But...I think it makes you better in the end knowing what you've accomplished in life.

Watching my kids and now grandkids grow up and spending time with them makes me feel younger too. Sure makes me wish my body was 18 yrs. old again.lol.

I do appreciate youth, beauty and the energy that youth has. when I was young I never gave it a thought.Maybe this is one of the gifts of age. That and having hair growing out of my ears....
 Walts
Msg: 42
Posted: 9/14/2011 5:42:56 PM
Good post Procol,,,,and I agree that all of us tend to act a little "older" as we age. But, in saying that, hopefully as we age, we also remember our youth, the carefree attitude,etc that we had(though we probably didn't know it then),back then, and we try to rekindle in some form.

I've always done the physical part of being "young", playing in the outdoors while 20 year olds look at me like I'm crazy. But, I had picked up the "old man" mentality, not letting things "go", not letting things "be",acting like the "responsible" guy,etc. I think I started "clueing in" a couple of years ago, that no matter what my age, I should know,by now, that there are things I can't change no matter how hard I try. And if someone wants to act like a moron, I should just let them, (hopefully once less moron around because of what I was trying to stop them from doing????)

I've also clued in because of quite a few deaths of some of my same aged friends. Guys and girls that busted their behinds to "get ahead", but instead, they just ended up "below", if ya know what I mean. I honestly don't want to be remembered that way. And slowly,but surely, I am changing. Work is no longer a priority, yet I am still very good at my job. Schedules are not always being met anymore, unless they involved family events,etc. My paycheque may become smaller, but MY time is starting to actually become MY time. And I'm really starting to "care" a lot less anymore.

In fact, phuck em all if they can't take a joke.
 smokincigars
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2011 10:29:49 PM

Have most of us lost that sweet, funny 18 year old inside of us?
Can we get it back? Do we want it back?

I'm certainly not the same guy I was at age 18 -- I certainly hope I'm a little more responsible now, although sometimes I wonder -- but the teenager still lives in my heart, and occasionally makes his presence known to the people around me.

Previous generations did too, I suppose. But when I was 18, my parents and their friends seemed so old and serious nearly every minute! My favorite uncle was the one who grilled out, went on fishing trips, bought (and set off) fireworks on the Fourth, had the closest thing to a "cool" family car, and always seemed to have fun.

Today's kids (and even some 40-somethings) will see me as old and serious, and I realize that. By their standards, I guess I am old and serious; boring too, i suppose. But it's partly a matter of perspective, partly just generational differences in our interests.

At age 62, I still prefer the music and performers I enjoyed in the '60s and '70, fewer acts from the '80s and '90s, and only a select few who debuted after 2000. (Except for country music, where I have a lot of newer favorites -- probably because what they do comes closer to the rock I grew up with than today's rock/pop acts.) I don't go to nightclubs full of younger people, but still enjoy concerts featuring my favorite acts. I prefer an SUV, pickup or big sedan to the sports cars and compacts/subcompacts I drove when I was younger. You'd have a hard time getting me on a sportbike or dirtbike, but I'd love to have another cruiser or even get a tourbike. And I'd rather be in an actual relationship than just hook up.

Some of the things I wanted to do when I was young had to wait until I had more money and time to devote to them. Other things I enjoy -- computers, for example -- didn't even exist when I was 18.

So yes, there is still an 18-year-old alive and well within me. But for the most part, he's still an 18-year-old circa 1967, not one from 2011.

"Young at heart, slightly older other places."
 five-marie
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 9/23/2011 5:34:55 AM
Am I the only one to admit that I don't have that happy carefree child inside me? Gulp.
I never did. My life has dictated that I be the care giver, the responsible one.
Now with my kids gone maybe I can find that.
Great post. Got me thinking.
 ladyc4
Msg: 69
Posted: 9/26/2011 2:52:21 PM
I found a T-shirt at a yard sale...it says "Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult"-.
I've plumb wore that shirt out- gotta find a new one just like it, it's no longer fit to wear in public.
Cindy O
 BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 73
Posted: 10/14/2011 9:16:54 AM

Have most of us lost that sweet, funny 18 year old inside of us?
Can we get it back? Do we want it back?

yes, yes, yes
 cupper3
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 10/30/2011 6:17:14 PM
Hmmm.. I can't agree with you.

I have had longer term relationships with women who were 18 years younger to 3 years older. I would go out with a woman who is 5 years older also.

Why? Because for one (no offense to anyone), you already know what she will look like when she gets older. If she is still good looking at 64, bets are she will be at 74. And yes, there are many good looking 64 year olds right here on POF. And some not so good looking 43 year olds.

Secondly, I would rather go out with an active and vibrant 64 year old then a staid and withdrawn 50 year old who has no more life and pizazz left in her.

And you may not know it, but sex can be just as exciting with someone in their 60's as someone in their late 40's.

The saying "age is just a number" is one some people live up to. I believe I am one of those, and the women I date will also be.
 laskoboo
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Posted: 12/9/2011 6:54:44 PM
At 18 I had just become free from an very bad family situation and finally free to leave the dysfunction and abuse. I was not right as I grew up in a overly crtitical, physically and emotionally household and never allowed to be a child. I finally got that chance but not until after 35. Was to busy trying to figure out how to support myself with no help from family, no real education or job skills. Being 18 sucked for me
Took a long time to come to grips with them but it taught me things that have proved to be invaluable. If anything I'm far more carefree now than at 18 and a much happier person. I would not want to be that age again for anything. My friends at that age had no idea how bad things could be for some kids and I found them mostly immature.

ugh......... if there was any age that was great it was 35 to 50.
Those years were the best ever for basically everything !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I excelled at everything after getting away from family and parents... each year became better and better for me.

after 50 has not been so good because I got sick. If not for that I would be living the dream and 100 percent thrilled with life !
 wayfarer4you
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2011 9:10:47 PM
lookit , I still skip when the moment hits me and mud puddles are made to jump in the bigger the splash the better ,,go fly a kite is real time for me ,,hell I still roller skate .
so yep , the youthfull spark is in us all but some think they need to grow up and leave all the fun behind them !!!go figure
 VacationGuy234
Msg: 83
Posted: 12/19/2011 9:30:36 AM
For some reason, this reminds me of the movie The Breakup starring Jennifer Aniston and Vince Vaughn. Not to give Procol a hard time, but it sounds like you've been turned into something you don't want to be and now your not (ahem) better off for it.

In the end of the movie, after the characters break up and some time has passed, Aniston's character sees Vince's character in front of some high end men's shop. He's carrying a few bags of what can only be very expensive clothes. And, the audience is supposed to see this as a change for the better. He has responsibilities, he buys his own stuff, he's basically the guy every women wants, all troubles are gone(at least the ones she ****ed about). So, he's now the man she really loves instead of the one she just ****ed about.

But I wonder if his character is better off, after all, Aniston's character hasn't changed.

Procol, all I can say is don't do anything, "stupid".
 Helloitsmeyourlookingfor
Msg: 87
Posted: 3/23/2012 1:32:55 PM
Acting 18 and being irresponsible is one thing. Acting young is another.

I probably care less what people think of me and my actions today more than ever. So if I want to sing or whistle or dance or whatever...... I WILL DAMMIT!!!!

I am pretty active, but also found out, I am more vulnerable. Bruises dont heal as quickly, body does not recover from a hard day on a jet ski like it used to. Back tends to hurt.... etc.

That doesn't keep me from doing the things I want to do, especially since I have not had to deal with E.D. or anything that can just strip the idea of being a healthy man away from me.

gotta run
Colonostomy time........ lol
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >