Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Education and dating      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 60
Education and datingPage 4 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
At the Best, the Most you can have is Anecdotal Evidence with no way to eliminate the Conformational Bias, of those Replying to the question...
 antirepublican
Msg: 61
Education and dating
Posted: 2/20/2015 4:04:37 PM
OP, that seems impossible to answer:
^^^^^^
I don't know that it is impossible more than people don't want to hear the answers. In terms of quality, I'll go on the assumption that everybody reading this is in the market for love. If that is indeed the case then, the term "better quality dates" would be closer to someone who is more likely to reciprocate your affection than some arbitrary socio-economic status.

I've heard it said that if a woman is pretty enough then she doesn't need any more intelligence than an orang-utan to do very well in life. Even if that were so, there is the matter of any particular woman's own personal aspirations and curiosity that are best served by education. Education is something that women should pursue for its own sake. Boxtox and implants are probably much better investments than college in terms of dating. For overall quality of life, education wins handily.

For men, education will never encourage love. At best, it will allow him to earn more money and attract a woman who is tired of the rigmarole associated with getting a man that she actually wants. If the goal is reciprocated love then leading with your wallet and diplomas is a very poor strategy. Its boring. Other men don't even care so why should a woman? I won't deny that vast riches can be a turn on, but a Master's in Dutch Literature? ehhh. Again, get an education for its own sake. Two different things. Love is primal but education is constructed.
 ryuoki
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Education and dating
Posted: 2/20/2015 8:04:29 PM
My degrees have meant Jack and diddly, and Jack isn't even my type. Women haven't gotten past my picture to even bother finding out whether or not I have a brain so other than what I have said already I have no input in regards to whether or not it has helped or hindered. The latter even more difficult to answer, because if they feel they don't measure up because of my education I wouldn't even know it due to a lack of response in the first place.

I've heard it said that if a woman is pretty enough then she doesn't need any more intelligence than an orang-utan to do very well in life. Even if that were so, there is the matter of any particular woman's own personal aspirations and curiosity that are best served by education. Education is something that women should pursue for its own sake. Boxtox and implants are probably much better investments than college in terms of dating. For overall quality of life, education wins handily.

But those who are actually pretty are banking on their looks to snag a doctor or lawyer. Someone that can afford them in the first place (what I refer to as "Live in Prostitutes") so they don't need a brain to get further in life. They just want to be lazy and do nothing in a sense other than maybe squeeze out a kid or two just as an insurance method to ensure that should divorce occur, they can maintain a decent lifestyle with their biological pay days that are used frequently to hold over the guys head to get further botox and implant treatments while they flirt with younger men. Of course that is a negative thing to say, but not entirely far from the truth. We see them all the time, one of the most famous is the queen of the Kardashian house. Though I beg to differ on the term "famous" in regards to all of the Kardashian women from said household.

For men, education will never encourage love. At best, it will allow him to earn more money and attract a woman who is tired of the rigmarole associated with getting a man that she actually wants. If the goal is reciprocated love then leading with your wallet and diplomas is a very poor strategy. Its boring. Other men don't even care so why should a woman? I won't deny that vast riches can be a turn on, but a Master's in Dutch Literature? ehhh. Again, get an education for its own sake. Two different things. Love is primal but education is constructed.

Sex is primal. Love is societal. And of course you said it, education constructed. I agree education should be paramount for everyone in life. Never stop learning new things. Society always hangs by a thin strand, and riches changes forms at times. Currently intelligence isn't universally sexy nor valued. In the western societies it seems ignorance is praised far more often. One can go out on the street and mention the name Kanye West and get quite a bit of opinions. Of course I don't care who she is. But if one were to mention the name Alan Turing or even Stephen Hawking there would be considerable eye brows raised, followed by "Huh?"
 NJgirl116
Msg: 63
Education and dating
Posted: 2/23/2015 6:39:09 PM

Not sure if having a degree has gotten me either more or better quality dates than someone without a degree, but I've gotten e-mails from plenty of seemingly poorly educated men. You know, the ones who come at you using textspeak. I've gotten some e-mails from men who seem well educated and bright, but those have been fewer.

Exactly the same thing here. Someone said men are better educated on Cupid, but that site's registration questions annoyed me so much I never finished registering.
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 64
Education and dating
Posted: 2/23/2015 10:11:21 PM
Just something interesting: An astronomical number of men lie on their profiles about their levels of education. It's extremely popular for men to lie about having Masters degrees (and really easy to ascertain that they're lying). As far as men who falsely select "Graduate Degree": I'm not sure that that they're intentionally lying - I suspect a lot of them confuse "Graduate Degree" with having graduated from High School.
 Dee4166
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Education and dating
Posted: 2/23/2015 10:31:22 PM

Someone that can afford them in the first place (what I refer to as "Live in Prostitutes") so they don't need a brain to get further in life. They just want to be lazy and do nothing in a sense other than maybe squeeze out a kid or two just as an insurance method to ensure that should divorce occur, they can maintain a decent lifestyle with their biological pay days that are used frequently to hold over the guys head to get further botox and implant treatments while they flirt with younger men. Of course that is a negative thing to say, but not entirely far from the truth. We see them all the time, one of the most famous is the queen of the Kardashian house. Though I beg to differ on the term "famous" in regards to all of the Kardashian women from said household.

Well, stupid and lazy women have been "marrying up" for centuries, doubt that's going to stop anytime soon....

Equality being what it is today, there are equally as many men out there living off of women, too.

As far as the "Kardashian Culture"....well, women like that are in the "famed 1%ers" and frankly are the exception, and NOT the rule.....
Let's face it, women like that make me fairly want to gag....PEOPLE like that, actually...I've met MANY men who are equally as vapid and opportunistic.
@ryuoki...
I have to say that I'm pretty sure that your particular problem is most likely geographical. Have you considered a move to another part of your State or Country?
I know plenty of women who would find you attractive and are looking for a man who is a professional and self-supporting, as are they.

Maybe you just need to move somewhere where the average woman actually knows what an engineer does???? lol
As far as your looks, well, I've been through this with other posters on here...You are an average looking guy. You're NOT ugly or unattractive. There is NO reason that you shouldn't be able to attract a woman, even a slightly younger woman mid to late 30s let's say, who still wants to have kids.

But, I also know that you have had your own Life experiences that have led you to the conclusions about yourself that you have and that will only change if there is new information that you are willing to accept as being true, though it may be contrary to your own beliefs about yourself.

Move to a large city and I guarantee, that if you get out and about that you will find a different perspective.
 Eternityboresme
Msg: 66
Education and dating
Posted: 2/23/2015 11:25:47 PM

Just something interesting: An astronomical number of men lie on their profiles about their levels of education. It's extremely popular for men to lie about having Masters degrees (and really easy to ascertain that they're lying). As far as men who falsely select "Graduate Degree": I'm not sure that that they're intentionally lying - I suspect a lot of them confuse "Graduate Degree" with having graduated from High School.

That's easy to suss.
 Eternityboresme
Msg: 67
Education and dating
Posted: 2/23/2015 11:27:32 PM

Exactly the same thing here. Someone said men are better educated on Cupid, but that site's registration questions annoyed me so much I never finished registering.

I wasn't exactly impressed with OK Stupid. I didn't find prospects there any more eligible and interesting than here. (Incidentally, I found my s.o. on PoF (and he was a paid member, not that it matters).
 Eternityboresme
Msg: 68
Education and dating
Posted: 2/23/2015 11:29:34 PM
To add:
There aren't any shortcuts in relating to somebody; whether they participate in PoF, Stupid, or Match, the same effort of building relationships still applies. The onus is on the user to actually participate in the development of their prospects to turn them into the relationships they seek.

All too often, (disillusioned) users erroneously believe that relationships will just fall out of the sky. And just because somebody has genetic/social privilege doesn't mean they shouldn't do the same (though it does seem -- at least on the exterior-- that it's easier for them; when in reality, it isn't always the case).
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Education and dating