Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 AquanGold
Msg: 14
Does this happen a lot on pofPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Happens all the time. What it means is some people are seeing someone else and they feel the end is near and are starting to test the waters in regards to the talent pool on pof. Nothing to worry about or ponder!
 Revilors
Msg: 15
Does this happen a lot on pof
Posted: 8/19/2011 6:03:16 AM
Two potential lessons learned.

First...don't put your life on hold for someone you haven't even met in person yet. You really don't know who you are talking, chatting, messaging until you've spent some real face time with them.

Second...taking it slow is all fine in good. But not online. Take it offline ASAP and then take it slow for the same reason as the above. Keeping it online AND taking it slow only adds up to more wasted time if that person is NOT who they say they are. Which happens online much of the time.

I go AWOl for short periods. Get busy at work, stretch of great weather or bored with the same old-same old. But...if I am having an interesting exchange with someone I make the time and make it a point. So, I'm guessing he wasn't as interested as you. That's all.
 Pingshooter
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 8/19/2011 6:42:42 AM

fat kid on a smarty

What's a "smarty"?
 Cdn_Iceman
Msg: 18
Posted: 8/19/2011 6:55:53 AM
its actually Smarties Pingshooter and Beautybea explained so I dont have to
 buckeye1332
Msg: 19
Posted: 8/19/2011 7:55:44 AM
They might have lost interest, met someone, scared of a relationship, or lost the desire to seek a relationship. It could be one of many things.

Best you can do is keep trying till you find someone, that's how I look at things for me.
 Roger161
Msg: 21
Posted: 8/19/2011 1:22:32 PM
I always thought a Smartie was a sweet-tart. Or maybe I'm thinking of something else. Or a brand name.
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 8/19/2011 1:35:38 PM

I always thought a Smartie was a sweet-tart. Or maybe I'm thinking of something else. Or a brand name.
You're not wrong... there is a candy with the brand name Smarties that is like a Sweet-Tart...

Then there's the Nestle's Smarties... candy coated chocolate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smarties
 infennario
Msg: 23
Posted: 8/19/2011 2:32:58 PM
I'm with Morning Face.

A lot of people go on vacation during August and a lot of those people disonnect from the grid on vacation. I've also had family crises (my mom was diagnosed with cancer, had surgery and began chemo) and work issues (big deadline, mini-crises popping up as we neared it) that easily absorbed a week. I had a key employee go to San Diego not long ago and she unexpectedly didn't have cost-effective cell service. My daughter's moving here- I would likely not be active on pof for the first week or two as we get her settled in. SO many very good reasons. Even cold feet for a week or two seems to be in the healthy/normal bell curve to me.

To me, a week is a pittance. Even two weeks isn't cause for alarm or for writing someone off, not at all.
 egowitch
Msg: 24
Posted: 8/19/2011 4:15:10 PM
Could be so many reasons !

I had that happen to me awhile back, and turns out he there was a death in the family, and he was out of state a couple weeks . He wrote when he finally got back.

Could be some other emergency, or a business trip, or an illness , or an accident.

OR a wife, or too many other dates, or dating burn-out , or a flakey personality , or someone who is inconsiderate ...

You get the idea. Try not to take it personally.

And remember , if someone is truly interested in you - they WILL let you know by words, or actions !
 ohwhynot46
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 8/19/2011 7:15:56 PM
"Smarties" are NOT chocolate coated! They are more like Sweetarts, minus the tart! Just sayin'

As for the topic at hand, well,who knows & who really cares? One can't assume anything, really. Past experience always colors one's view. I have been here several years and often "disappear" for months at a time as the need to prioritize makes it less important to be here. It says nothing at all about my honesty, marital status, etc. True enough that it is an indicator of one's interest in dating, particularly in dating strangers encountered from behind a screen.
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 27
Posted: 8/19/2011 7:22:11 PM

What's a "smarty"?

Hey Pingshooter ....
Canadian candy as explained by others.

I had an issue with this when I went down to Illinois to see my grandkids.
My daughter-in-law showed me the US version of smarties.
Those are called Rockets up here.

Our Smarties are similar to m&m's,
Except m&m's melt in your mouth, not in your hands.
lol
(I remember that jingle from when I was little.)

My daughter just left by car today, to see her brother and my grandkids in the States.
I sent with 2 boxes of Smarties, so they can see what we have on the other side of the boarder.

How do you hide an elephant in a box of Smarties?
Paint his toenails all different colors!
 ohwhynot46
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 8/19/2011 8:22:20 PM
As complicated as the Smartie issue has become, no wonder relationships are so difficult!

Apparently, Nestle has agreed not to import their product in to the US, possibly to avoid suit. Coated or not, enjoy your Smarties!
 Laha Math
Msg: 30
Posted: 8/19/2011 8:31:20 PM
I don't know if it happens a lot on PoF but it's one of the most persistent questions asked in the forums, why someone would suddenly disappear after communicating or dating for some time. The number of people using the forums is a very small number of the people registered on PoF so I don't know if it's representative of the site in general. However if the peopel who use the forums are an unbiased random sample of the population as a whole, then yes, it happens a lot on PoF. Anyway, it's certainly not unheard of.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 8/20/2011 4:34:57 AM
"Assuming" is ALWAYS a mistake. I doesn't matter which way your "assuming" takes you, it always means that you are taking an action or inaction, based on nothing.

Yes, it happens a lot here that people just up and vanish, or seem to. But it happens even MORE often, that someone gets anxious, as you have, and they have a panicked reaction to the person not writing back as fast as they desired.

Assumptions you should not be making about this include :

that the guy is gone forever for no reason;
that you should wait for him to return;
that he was a liar;
that he was married;
that you were foolish;
that you ever had any reason to stop looking at other people yourself;
and that you can't BOTH allow him to resurface on his own AND keep looking for someone more attentive for you to be with.
 cherryyblossom
Msg: 32
Posted: 8/20/2011 6:14:28 AM
i have came across profiles where users have no logged on in months, even years.
 RandomScause
Msg: 33
Posted: 8/24/2011 7:37:39 AM
A smarty is a type of panty that doesn't pant, but smarts.

It disappears way too soon for its lover's liking, that's how it came up on this thread.

The red ones last longest. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy, though. The reds last longest because "you eat the red ones last".

In certain types of stand-up bars, "smarty" means "some more martini", it's a cry for help in a short form.
 RandomScause
Msg: 34
Posted: 8/24/2011 7:42:05 AM
You heard of "smart cards", no? A smarty is a short form for a titty with a high IQ. You heard of Duo processors in laptops? Two smarties on a lap-dancer amounts to the same thing.
 TraveliciousGuy
Msg: 35
Posted: 11/17/2011 8:44:41 PM
It's pretty typical.

There are more flakes on "online dating" sites than there are in a box of Kelloggs cereal.

TabascoPasco
Msg: 38
Posted: 11/20/2011 1:08:03 AM
And also, don't just love it when people change their what their looking for a lot example for friends or long term in matter of weeks.
 clayart
Msg: 39
Posted: 11/20/2011 6:51:20 PM
Hey Tabasco, you're just in time. Since this has turned into a candy description thread between the U.S. and Canada I would like to know what is similar to a smarty in Asia? That is, if you have been or are from the old country.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >