Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Is it normal to not be sexually attracted to other races?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 pinkoleander
Msg: 76
Is it normal to not be sexually attracted to other races? Page 4 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
The title of this thread is "Is it normal to not be sexually attracted to other races?" I don't think it's abnormal. There was nothing about racism in the title of this thread.
But what I said was that I love men. Period. I find all kinds of men attractive. Rincodon understood my question and was the only one who really answered my question. Which was an extension of the OP's question. Something about what attracts us and why.
Rhincodon and Boondock had interesting views.
I've seen many profiles where people state their racial preferences for dating.
My question was for those people who don't find people of other races attractive (whatever race they may themselves be) is why? It is that you're only physically attracted to certain traits or is it cultural?
 Cdn_Iceman
Msg: 77
Is it normal to not be sexually attracted to other races?
Posted: 9/16/2011 3:45:52 PM

Iceman is "Top Gun" on this forum
Im not following?
 Tervis
Msg: 78
Posted: 9/16/2011 3:57:22 PM
I actually very much respect your thoughts on this OP. No there is defiantly nothing wrong with liking other races unless you mean like a dog or something lol. Race we are all human I do not see the difference. I am mixed with three different races and I have dated all types, and even given my background sometimes people still ask why I am dating a black girl or whatever they are dumb end of story. I intentionally put my racial background on my profile, because to many people I look white. I don't want to see someone who is going to have a hangup over it just spare me the drama.
 ExploringLife2Gether
Msg: 79
Posted: 9/16/2011 3:58:26 PM
Sorry. Iceman was a character portrayed by Val Kilmer in Top Gun. He played opposite Maverick (Tom Cruise), the movie's protagonist. Apparently the use of anachronisms is rarely amusing.
 kcladyz
Msg: 80
Posted: 9/17/2011 6:44:11 PM
Well I am not attracted to blacks. Not even remotely but I find whites, native americans and pacific islander very sexy. its all preference not necessarily racism
 Lil Brooker
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 9/17/2011 7:20:53 PM
No, it's not what I would call "normal". It's just your preference to which you are entitled.

I grew up in an ethnic family in which *some* members expected me to date within my own ethnicity. In a multi-cultural country, THAT was weird! I presently have cousins and second cousins who are black, asian, Indian, middle-eastern and from various European countries...and I feel the richer for it. The world is becoming a small mixing pot.
on edit: Forgot to add the latest addition - Cuban
 newreality2010
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 9/17/2011 7:28:56 PM
I am white, and have ALWAYS been attracted to other races. Except blacks, and by blacks I mean african americans. I am totally attracted to african black men (or even british or austrailian black men).
All of my significant relationships have involved people of other races. I attribute this to the fact that I grew up in Miami as the only white girl. Everyone in my highschool was hispanic, so that is where I developed my love of color. In college, in another state, I dated a lot of muslims (saudis, bengalis, and other arabs) and I also dated an asian guy.
I always wanted to date a black (african, not american) guy but always shied away because of the whole HIV thing. (I know that sounds racist, but really I am just afraid)

I just met a real white guy I am attracted to (but he is not attracted to me) and he is actually a foreigner as well. He is polish/slavic... I heard him speak some foreign language and my heart just melted LOL.

I think I am the complete opposite of your hypothesis, I totally love anyone who isn't american. I don't know why? I really do think its because even in kindergarten I was faced with people who didn't yet speak english.
 The_Standard_Model
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 9/17/2011 7:41:59 PM

I always wanted to date a black (african, not american) guy but always shied away because of the whole HIV thing. (I know that sounds racist, but really I am just afraid)

Let me open up by CLEARLY STATING THAT IN NO WAY AM I TRYING TO INSINUATE THAT THE PERSON THAT SAID THIS IS RACIST.
Well now with that out of the way, this is the idea that I have been trying to explain when I say that it is not as simple as people here are trying to portray the issue. This person is irrationally unnattracted to black men because of a preconcieved idea. This person is not attracted to American black men simply due to either a cultural stigma (the manner in which many young black men carry themselves in thi society (Thugged out) or it is not even a visual/cultural thing and she simply becomes unattracted to them when she discovers their nationality.
Despite what is being bandied around this particular thread, attraction is often affected by things that are not simply our sexual interests. The OP seems open to the idea of dating an African American male, but due to misinformation )that she even admits to) she has reservations.

In the end... yes it can be racist to not be attracted to other races. Even for a non-racist.
 VegasGambit
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 9/17/2011 7:51:41 PM
It's a preference, it has nothing to do with being racist or not.

I honestly see it as no different than a person who is attracted to certain personalities, body types, heights, and so on.
 newreality2010
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 9/17/2011 8:02:28 PM
I am really not racist! I accepted a date from a black american man, and I really did have a good time! We went for sushi, then to a wine bar, then for a walk around uptown. It was a nice date through and through. But it never went further, on his part. I was willing to see him again.
He questioned me a bit on my willingness to date a black man, and I let him know that color was never my consideration. I AM attracted to color, by no fault of my own, I really can't help it. But It isn't my primary consideration.
I need a guy I can be myself around, who accepts me for me, and I accept him for him. I think thats what it boils down to.
He just for whatever reason decided I wasn't the one for him, and that was it!
 kensan88
Msg: 86
Posted: 9/17/2011 8:02:45 PM
nothing wrong with that dont worry about what people say or think,im the same way
 SingleGuy4912
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Posted: 9/18/2011 11:16:51 AM
Of course it's just a preference. Even racists have preferences. Whether someone is a racist or not depends on the reasons for the preferences.
 vita_bella
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 9/18/2011 11:54:31 AM
OP, I also think you are normal.

I used to be attracted mostly to olive skinned or tanned Caucasians with dark eyes and hair, pretty much the opposite of me on the Caucasian scale. These days I find I am attracted to caramel and milk-chocolate skin that mostly Latinos, mixed or black men seem to have. But that's not all. Simply being Latino/black/mixed doesn't suffice. I like clean cut men (no dreads) with very little to no facial hair. I also like nice calves on a man and have noticed that Cuban and Dominican men seem to meet that requirement more often than others. If I believed in God, I'd ask for

I feel like I'm normal and if the above makes me racist, then...
 larissan04
Msg: 89
Posted: 9/18/2011 4:23:44 PM
attraction isn't necessarily a conscious thing, so how could it be racist? it's something instinctual; it's intangible. there are people who aren't attracted to their own race, so go figure.
 cherryyblossom
Msg: 90
Posted: 9/19/2011 6:01:49 AM
i am not sexually attracted to blacks, but that does not make me a racist or prejudice.
 Cdn_Iceman
Msg: 91
Posted: 9/19/2011 6:09:42 AM

Of course it's just a preference. Even racists have preferences. Whether someone is a racist or not depends on the reasons for the preferences.
Exactly.... well said
 TDH49
Msg: 92
Posted: 9/19/2011 6:18:46 AM

One of the best responses I have read to one of these threads.
 CoolBreeze1978
Msg: 93
Posted: 10/23/2011 3:05:54 PM
I agree. Most people who say they won't date outside of their races haven't really been exposed to other races. They won't admit to it. They'll say it's just their preferences, but I believe there's more to it. I think there's a little prejudice involved. I'd like to date outside of my race but am having difficulty finding women who are interested, and I truly believe it's due to a little bit of prejudice.
 VacationGuy234
Msg: 94
Posted: 10/23/2011 3:36:22 PM
It's normal for someone your age, please check back in 20 years after you've lived a little more.
 Jayhr75
Msg: 95
Posted: 11/9/2011 10:10:25 AM
I'm attracted to everyone...except the Irish!
 viper1j
Msg: 96
Posted: 11/9/2011 11:33:46 AM
I am basically just asking if it is normal to only be sexually attracted to one race, be that your own race, or another. I have no racist tendencys that I have noticed, but, in my case, I am only sexually attracted to my own race. Anyone can be my friend, but I guess very few can be my lover? Am I weird,?

Well, weird is so subjective.. You would rather make with a dead white guy (love zombies) than a living black guy.. hmmm.. How do you feel about dead Asians? Would that get you hot?

Gee I don't know.. I wouldn't call you weird..

Perhaps half an inch this side of insane might be more appropriate.

But then Edgar Allen Poe was into necrophiliac incest. (He banged his dead cousin) So who's really to say?

Iceman is "Top Gun" on this forum
Im not following?

Then you didn't see the movie..

I agree. Most people who say they won't date outside of their races haven't really been exposed to other races.

I've had a thing for that Star Trek green chick from Orion5 since I was 13!
 VirtuallyLove
Msg: 97
Posted: 11/9/2011 3:07:49 PM
You think you're weird? I'm only attracted to Scands!
 sexyisback!
Msg: 98
Posted: 11/9/2011 3:12:09 PM

Anyone can be my friend, but I guess very few can be my lover? Am I weird,?

'very few'? still gives you millions & millions to choose from I'd say
 MikeWM
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2011 3:20:51 PM
There isnt a "normal"

You like what you like and you dont like what you like, thats about as far as "normal" goes where preferences are concerned

This did remind me of a classic thread a few years ago by an asian guy complaining that white women were all racists for not wanting to date him

He on the other hand ONLY wanted to date white women, but couldnt see the hypocrisy in that

Some people would claim that if a white man doesnt want to date non white people hes racist, but the same people wouldnt call a white woman who only wants to date black men or a black man who only wants to date white women a racist

Thereby highlighting the fact that theyre just a bit of a moron really rather than an enlightened voice on the topic of cultural dating

Do what and who you want, when you want and whatever colour you prefer

Its all good
 viper1j
Msg: 100
Posted: 11/9/2011 3:46:59 PM

Do what and who you want, when you want and whatever colour you prefer

Its all good

Well.... I would at the very least require that they have a pulse..

I might see dead people, but i refuse to do them.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Is it normal to not be sexually attracted to other races?