Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > California  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 matchlight
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Spelling, grammer etcPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
I'm not sure how much the spelling and grammar in a woman's profile say about her intelligence. But if she really were smart, she'd take the time to get them right. And smart women are sexy--they tend to have active imaginations.
 KAKI3152
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Spelling, grammer etc
Posted: 8/22/2011 7:59:43 PM
It's grammar,not "grammer"
 matchlight
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Spelling, grammer etc
Posted: 8/22/2011 8:02:23 PM
^^^^Oh, a wiseguy, huh?
 Rabbitman49
Msg: 8
Spelling, grammar, etc....
Posted: 8/23/2011 12:23:43 AM
I asume the titel is mispellt on pourpoise. ;-)
 ArtzyWoman
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 8/23/2011 5:00:45 PM
I just want a guy with a brain
HAAAAAAAAAAA
 Rabbitman49
Msg: 10
Posted: 8/23/2011 6:37:03 PM
RE - comment #15: I thought it was obvious.
 jmark4
Msg: 12
Spelling, grammer etc
Posted: 8/24/2011 12:38:06 PM
To be honest no one is going to dictate how I act.

I am a stickler for MY spelling and grammar but people can do what they want.

Now if it's text speak and I can't understand a word they say because of abbreviations, then that is annoying.

As long as they speak alright, a few mistakes here and there never hurt anyone.

I think some women though want to make sure the guy is smart and/or educated. That's understandable.
 foxonatrain
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Spelling, grammer etc
Posted: 8/28/2011 12:37:53 PM
I put it up there on my list of things I care about. A couple of errors here and there are passable. We don't always catch all our mistakes even if we want to, that's why editors have jobs. On a rare occasion, somebody might have dyslexia or something but how often does that really happen? The other legitimate reason is if a person's foreign, I'm not going to shit all over somebody who can't write perfectly in a language that's not their native one. That being said, if you grow up speaking and learning English, then write garbage like, "wut music do u lyk 2 lisen 2?" what does that tell me about you? That you're too lazy to write out full words? That you don't care if you come off as some "trendy" tween that overtexts? If this were 1996 I could go out on a limb and say you don't have too much experience with QWERTY keyboards but it's 2011, it's pretty much as standard as a phone keypad now. I think it really does just say something about the level of intelligence, it might not be a foolproof method, but it's a decent indicator.
 melben21
Msg: 16
Spelling, grammer etc
Posted: 10/14/2011 2:03:33 AM
I agree. I hate slang and have it specified in my profile. To me it makes a person sound ignorant to use hella, hecka, umm, yeah, sure!
There are many more words in the English language that when you are trying to impress someone or to catch their interest please write what you would in school.
 bgame650
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Spelling, grammer etc
Posted: 10/25/2011 12:02:13 AM
how are you gonna spell grammar wrong in a post about spelling and grammar
 Molly Maude
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Spelling, grammer etc
Posted: 10/28/2011 11:25:11 AM
I've made a conscious effort to write and spell creatively ... I think it's obvious that I KNOW better but am using my writing abilities (or lack thereof) to convey a thought, emotion ... convince, explain ... whatever ...

it is also obvious, as another poster noted, that one's choice of writing styles indicates their place in the timeline of life ... and we're NOT writing a thesis here! we're communicating thots ... it's my choice to communicate an idea or thot ... while also usually being whimsical ...

conversely ... there are many posts that I won't waste my time reading because the person who slapped them up there didn't make the effort to make their thoughts or comments legible ... didn't separate out a huge jumble of words into sentences and paragraphs ... the thought may be valid ... but, if it's too tough to decipher, I just skip it by ...

while realizing I may be missing some GREAT THOTS ... I'm old ... I don't chose to waste time decoding what someone was so sloppy about posting ...

besides ... we're lookin' for love here ... grammar, spelling or the lack ... is another clue to whether or not we'd be a good match ...

if someone doesn't like that a flaunt my disregard for spelling or grammar ... they won't contact me ... and that's a good thing!

meksikali
Msg: 20
Spelling, grammer etc
Posted: 11/3/2011 12:32:28 PM
2 of my pof dates told me that they liked my proper grammar and spelling on my messages. I think it's important. But both dates didn't work, I guess they didn't like my accent. Maybe they were expecting me to talk like bill Clinton hahaha!
So, to level the expectations I started to message in broken English to let them know that I'm a foreigner. I hate spelling English anyways.
Bottom line, it's best to message the way you normaly talk.
 xxxxLucyakaCCxxxx
Msg: 21
Spelling, grammer etc
Posted: 11/8/2011 9:38:56 AM
ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc
 irish_smackie
Msg: 23
Spelling, grammer etc
Posted: 4/18/2012 9:59:44 AM
I don't mind slang, as I think it helps convey the way one might actually speak in person, but I really dislike text-speak. If someone slips one in on a rare occasion, I overlook it as a typo, but if I get a wall full of it, it makes my eyes bleed. haha

Sorry, but the reality is that the way you type does give a hint as to your intellect.
Show ALL Forums  > California  >