Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Square foot gardening      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 EastTexasMan65
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Square foot gardeningPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Over the past years ( not this year) I have grown tomato plants, onions a.nd other.
I have 2 pear trees. and other fruit trees.
My orange tree died.

But the food bought in the store is cheaper than what I grow.
 RichenLosAngeles
Msg: 24
Square foot gardening
Posted: 9/21/2011 12:51:24 PM
Today I spied an old wooden table at the curb for garbage pickup, and I stopped to look. The table top was of no value, but the four legs were just what I need to build my first waist-height planter section. I twisted it apart, and off they came with little effort. I can make a sweet 2X4 planter, to hold 8 planting squares. Now I need some planks for the sides, and a plywood bottom. I have time, because we're off-season anyway.
Easttexas, I'm a bit jealous, I can't grow apples or pears here because it's too warm and low. I may go for a Fuyu persimmon, which I adore.
My avocado tree is now about 6X6, it can grow to 15X20, but I don't think it has enough space to max out.
I learned something interesting today about avocados: The Hass(rough-skin) was originally planted 3 rows to 1 row of Fuerte(smooth-skin) for purposes of germination, then the Fuerte fruits were thrown away, until farmers were bothered by the lost revenue from the less-desired Fuerte fruits, so they invented "guacamole" to make use of the watery avocados, which became a huge success.....
 SpringsDiver
Msg: 25
Square foot gardening
Posted: 9/22/2011 10:47:59 PM
My containers are built of southern pine, and will likely only last a couple of years. I understand Cypress wood is a good choice, but it is pricy, and redwood is even more so. The expense of the soil, as mentioned by a previous poster, is indeed something to consider. I went to a nursery and bought some by the truckload, and it seems to be working well.

It depends on what you're growing. Tomatoes have deep roots-you need two feet of depth, and more is better. Twenty-gallon trash cans work well. I've had great luck with peppers in 5 to 7-gallon plastic nursery containers, and I've also grown some of the compact squash and cucumber varieties in 7-gallons. Most of the expense is in potting soil. I've found the Kellogg's with the bat guano and worm castings is the best, and it guarantees you lots of earthworms. Don't even think about using any regular dirt in containers, and make sure they drain really well.

Thank you for this great information!
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 26
Square foot gardening
Posted: 7/19/2012 11:30:03 AM
My garden is doing well, but not exactly as I had envisioned it.
I call it "Field of Weeds" :).
Oh well.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Square foot gardening
Posted: 10/27/2014 5:51:10 PM
I've been growing yams or sweet potatoes in a large ceramic jar by the
front door ... they've been growing all summer ... I thought I'd dig one
up to see if there was a big fat root down there ... sadly, the 2 roots I
dug up were too small to even be called fingerlings ...

I did, however, find a perfect little white potato that has been just sittin'
there since I planted it a couple of years ago ... weird.

so how long does it TAKE to grow a sweet potato? does the vining plant
have to produce flowers? these haven't ...
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Square foot gardening