Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > I've finally realized the way to happiness is to detach from everyone.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 JoeFromOzarks
Msg: 51
I've finally realized the way to happiness is to detach from everyone.Page 3 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)

Again, my life works for me. It doesn't have to work for you...

Exactly!!

Seakytten, as long as you're happy, you may ignore those that aren't!! :) Me too!

:) joe
 pinkoleander
Msg: 52
I've finally realized the way to happiness is to detach from everyone.
Posted: 9/8/2011 7:00:16 PM
I can't believe the vitriol spewed daily on these forums. Sneakykitten,If you're happy with your life then you're already way ahead of those posters who have trashed you for no reason other than their own bitterness and unhappiness.
 viper1j
Msg: 53
Posted: 9/8/2011 8:50:28 PM

Geez..it's people like the poster above that make me GLAD I've detached from certain types of folks. I no longer hang with judgmental sheep that are worried about what people 'think' of them. Believe it or not, when you worry about what other people think of you the reality is they hardly give you a thought at all.

Geez, it must be really nice to have as much money as Bill Gates.

As a business owner, my reputation, (aka "what people think of me) determines whether or not the lights stay on, and if my kid gets that tuition check. I would love to unplug from society like you apparently have. I would like nothing better, than to live on that island that Tom Hanks had in the movie Castaway, (although MY Wilson would be a redhead with legs that went up to her chin.

But the sad reality is that for the vast majority of us, we HAVE to care what others think of us. whether it be the kid down the street, or the co-worker in the next cubicle.
 Seakytten
Msg: 54
Posted: 9/10/2011 5:44:36 PM
Geez, it must be really nice to have as much money as Bill Gates.

Huh? Where in my prior posts did I claim to have as much money as Bill Gates?? You're being judgmental and jumping to conclusions..do you do that with your employees as well?? Hmmm...

As a business owner, my reputation, (aka "what people think of me) determines whether or not the lights stay on, and if my kid gets that tuition check. I would love to unplug from society like you apparently have. I would like nothing better, than to live on that island that Tom Hanks had in the movie Castaway, (although MY Wilson would be a redhead with legs that went up to her chin.

But the sad reality is that for the vast majority of us, we HAVE to care what others think of us. whether it be the kid down the street, or the co-worker in the next cubicle.

As a business owner your reputation should not only be what people think of you 'offline' but should be equally important to you 'online' and I don't think too much of your assumptions about me. The sad reality is your own..I choose to not make my reality sad at all.

Honey, I've been on my own for 27 years paying the rent, keeping the lights on and feeding my furry family. I don't care what people think of me because if I DID, then I would have to change my life to get their approval and I won't do that. Not having to get someone's approval makes me able to be independent and to CONTINUE to keep my lights on, etc. Not sure if you're just miserable with your own life having to 'worry about what other's think of you' and spoiling for a fight but if you are then I suggest you get a cat or two and leave the rest of us alone to live our lives the way we choose to and not the way others think we should.

Do have a nice day!!

Kytten
 Seakytten
Msg: 55
Posted: 9/10/2011 6:14:35 PM
@Viper..I haven't 'unplugged' from society but pick and choose my own battles now. What's your problem with that? Do you think I don't have to put my nose to the grindstone to make a living?

Re-read my opening post and then make your conclusion. My beef is with people that are hell bent on making your life as miserable as they can whether it be work-related or not. Sure, I have to deal with crap to get keep the lights on but don't you? After hours though, I don't let anyone into my life. Ever. At all and I'm good with that.

I might live on a barrier island but I've worked my a$$ off day in and day out to live here. I've gone without many, many times so my animals could eat and I'm not complaining because they're priority and always will be. I've taken crap from bosse's, co-workers and 'so called' friends..I don't take it anymore. I know my worth and I'm still kind to everyone but I WILL NOT let anyone disrespect me again in my worklife, nor my personal life. End of story.

Kytten
 Bladesmith81801
Msg: 56
Posted: 9/10/2011 6:34:53 PM
Just remember, the difference between a wall and a prison is a slim one.

It's scary easy for that wall of "I don't care" to become a prison of "I can't get out".

Methinks the lady doth protest too much.
 forumrun4
Msg: 57
Posted: 9/10/2011 8:12:18 PM
I thought of detaching to a bunch of people..even from society. Then i thought
what??? and let others be happy and drama free....no way...i am going to stick to these folks like crazy glue...and i can't stress >>> crazy enough.

People deserve to have me in thier life no really, i must do my duty to mankind

I want these people to know the real meaning of drama

Heeheeeee........heres to you bunny and all my *cough* awesome friends

ps ..mesg 64 is hilarious lmao
 mare2929
Msg: 58
Posted: 9/10/2011 11:37:21 PM
I believe we are becoming a reclusive ,lonely, mistrusting society and for good reason.
There are very few people that really care about others. Relationships fall apart at the drop of hat and we have become a me,me society. We reap the rewards of our fathers fight for freedom and we do very little on a daily basis to maintain it. The suffering that happens in the world, could very well knock on your own back door but we continue to hide our heads in the sand and do nothing until it effects us. How sad for all-how sad for our children and grandchildren. I cannot even imagine what the world will be like in 100 years if people continue to not care. But then of course many will say -why does it matter -I will be dead in a 100 years. Again me,me,me
 viper1j
Msg: 59
Posted: 9/11/2011 8:19:27 AM

I suggest you get a cat or two and leave the rest of us alone to live our lives the way we choose to and not the way others think we should.

I like cats!

Usually open pit grilled with a fava beans and a nice Chianti! FFFFTTTTT!
But my dog prefers them plain (Of course I'm kidding. the the joke was too good to pass up.)

After reading the OP for the 6th time, I'll concede I MAY have taken some things out of context in forming some conclusions, but the general tone of the OP still has that unplugged feel to it.
 DudeOfManyTalents
Msg: 60
Posted: 9/11/2011 10:46:02 AM
As far as I care, everyone else can go out and party it up while I stay home and make my cabinets and jewelry boxes to sell.

Just don't ask ME to come visit you and keep you company in your nursing home when you've won your little game and the party's over.
 forumrun4
Msg: 61
Posted: 9/11/2011 2:36:10 PM
Gezzz the OP closed her account...probably because some of you are just mean.

And the responces give reason to her coming to the conclusion in the first post.

Most people are wacko ... thats why i choose to be a hermit
 DudeOfManyTalents
Msg: 62
Posted: 9/11/2011 3:46:27 PM
Nah, better to just film a rant and put it on Youtube where the whole world can see it. It's shaming on steroids!
 m14shooter
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2011 5:31:20 PM
There is not a week that goes by that I don't consider telling everyone in my life to go to hell or worse. I am sick of the drama, bad relationships and so on that ruin my life from having to hear about it. I have cut everyone off before and am damn close to doing it again.
 trinity818
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 9/15/2011 2:51:01 PM

ps ..mesg 64 is hilarious lmao

Methinks msg 64 was her final break with reality. She sounds like she went right off the edge!

I live in the same area as the OP does. Palma Sola Bay in Bradenton. Maybe I should check on her...
 Bladesmith81801
Msg: 65
Posted: 9/15/2011 3:28:59 PM
If you do, Trinity, be careful. She ain't all there. I'm sorry if she's upset, but the truth has that effect on people. I had no intent to trash her, but I've expressed the same ideas and mentalities she was spouting, and lived through building those same kinds of walls.

Wouldn't wish that on anyone.
 totalazzhole
Msg: 66
Posted: 9/15/2011 4:23:20 PM
^^

yo, I see there is no need to waste all those years getting an actual MD degree, then more years of post-degree specialization in psychiatry.. all these amateur psychiatrists on POF, can diagnose people right on-line based on a few postings..LOL

oh, what is my diagnosis, please, POF shrinks? paranoid personality disorder, perhaps?
 trinity818
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 9/15/2011 4:33:43 PM

oh, what is my diagnosis, please, POF shrinks? paranoid personality disorder, perhaps?

No....you've been infected with tiger blood. Baaaaad stuff. You need a transfusion.
 trinity818
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 9/27/2011 6:08:19 AM

And "Methinks you're an idiot"..Oh. My. God!!!

I can't even bring myself to tell you to have a nice day with your ridiculous post!! Do you have something with substance to add to my opening post or not?? I'm guessin' not..omg.."Methinks the lady doth protest too much" LOL I haven't heard that saying since I was in the eighth grade!!! bwahahaha!!!!!!! Poor thing..wow. Just, wow.

The irony in 'detaching' from certain types of people should be crystal clear now..LOL Oh, god.."Methinks the lady doth protest too much???" Sorry..laughing my a$$ off!! Omg...hahahahaha!

You don't think this post sounds "over the top"? A bit extreme, considering that he was just trying to help you. Just because you don't like the advice, doesn't mean it wasn't sincere. If you read back over your thread, you would see that I came out in support of your position back on page 1. If you can't handle the opinions of others, don't start threads about your personal life.

Sincerely,
Cupcake
 Revilors
Msg: 70
Posted: 9/27/2011 9:05:25 AM

You don't think this post sounds "over the top"? A bit extreme, considering that he was just trying to help you.

Help her? With what?

The only wall I see here...to be of issue...is the one she has been running into and banging her head against to for those that didn't get her OP. For a "crazy cat lady"...she sure seems to have a lucid grip on life. Maybe I should begin breading felines.

I get it...and got it from the OP. And...I too would rather be in my own company...or the company of a pack of dogs (allergic to cats) rather than the unnecessary drama and game play that is created and perpetuated in the name of some perverted sense of romance.

I don't think she's crazy...just frustrated with some posters.
 forumrun4
Msg: 71
Posted: 9/27/2011 1:09:18 PM
OMG...the op was just making a post... not asking for personal critiques.

Thou...um...yer azz might look just a tad big in them thar jeans.....heheeee

OH, i am just joshin people...its a joke....ah shadappppppppp
 happybunny8
Msg: 72
Posted: 9/28/2011 3:40:08 PM
I sorta feel like that, but I have lots of people in my life - a few who are very close and I need those people in my life. I could not live without people in my life, I find it hard to ask for help, but it's not because I think I can do it all. Despite that, the people in my life come through very often, I'm very blessed that way. I could never detach from everyone.

As for dating though, I've sorta stopped looking. I've got a lot of stuff going on that I think most men would not be able to handle. Most couldn't handle it 20 years ago either. I haven't found a man (in the relationship sense) who is as loyal and good to me as my close friends are and that I'm attracted to as well!

I need a strong man, and I haven't found him yet. Notice I "yet" :) However, I'm not sure there is a guarantee I will ever be with anyone. Who knows what the future holds?
 kailania
Msg: 73
Posted: 9/28/2011 6:01:55 PM
i have noticed that it is more men that accuse women of being "dramatic".
what is dramatic about letting your feelings be known?
calling someone a drama queen is name calling.
i didnt call him a drunk.
 Revilors
Msg: 74
Posted: 9/28/2011 10:02:58 PM

Do you deep fry the felines after you "bread" them.

Now that's just crazy talk.....lady.

Haven't you heard of the ongoing Cholesterol problem in America.

Three B's. Bake, Broil or Boil.
 qedeshim
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 9/29/2011 5:19:01 AM
Being detached is not about creating walls as some form of barriers, and anyway walls are useful to grow stuff up and hang things on. Being detached CAN mean seeing things objectively, enjoying the drama without having to take it to heart.

Sex could be the problem although some see it as a solution, and strangely not mentioned so far, but maybe that is a form of detachment the genuine here, responding to the stimulus prefer. Sex can be like a drug, and the needy can be very disruptive as a result, as the seriously detached might realise. If only sex was the answer, life would be so simple, but sadly it is just a symbolic act, however temporarily physically gratifying to the individual, till the next fix that is.

An affair on the other hand, in which sexual indulgences, after time spent together, the individuals part for a time, thus sex and the psychosis involved, is more spaced out, casual, as opposed to a so called "relationship" where sharing the joys of childcare, bills, washing and cleaning and other mundane distractions, can make the joys of sex mutate from the physical to the psychological, a less stable ground.

We are a social animal, and strangely biologically constructed to reinforce this social need, but we live in two worlds, the social and private. What people say and do in public can differ dramatically from what they do in private. Being grow up is after all learning to lie, where we lie and pretend to others we are more than we really are, and subsequently lie to ourselves too. Children live comparatively, in a simplistic world where the requirement to lie is learned till qualifying for adult status.

So maybe its also a question of do we need sex, which can be both a detachment and an attachment, depending on individualised psychological constructs. Does sex make one happy, and if so for how long, suggesting it can be a disruptive drugging effect, and not just something to do for its own sake, but has depth and meaning to the insecure, as maybe that it the measurement they use to measure if they are loved enough?
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > I've finally realized the way to happiness is to detach from everyone.