Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Racist Remark - How would you respond? [CLOSED for Review]      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 76
Racist Remark - How would you respond?Page 4 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)

Only one with very sorry legislators

Oh please don't make us guess....

I'm sure many totalitarian types would love to be able to make everyone else do whatever they think is fair and noble

Oh...it must be Bachmann or Perry...
 unYOUsual
Msg: 77
Racist Remark - How would you respond?
Posted: 9/7/2011 11:32:29 AM
Is pointing out that race crimes against whites are less predominant mean that one thinks they're any less abhorrent?
Not at all, but the issue of whether or not they are less predominant is debatable..For some reason people can't grasp the fact that tens of thousands of crimes are committed against whites by minorities, one of the factors in deciding who to target is the victims race...Because the victims are white the police do not treat these cases as Hate crimes..

BigBadNIrish
Msg: 78
Posted: 9/7/2011 12:42:04 PM

Because the victims are white the police do not treat these cases as Hate crimes..

So, your're saying that when swastika's are spray painted on synagogue's or synagogue's burned to the ground...and they are declared "hate crimes"...that the synagogue's members are black???...and that all gays are black???
 vlad dracul
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 9/7/2011 1:29:09 PM
well this report does not say that crimes against whites are less predominant.

The British Crime Survey reveals that in 2004, 87,000 people from black or minority ethnic communities said they had been a victim of a racially motivated crime. They had suffered 49,000 violent attacks, with 4,000 being wounded. At the same time 92,000 white people said they had also fallen victim of a racially motivated crime. The number of violent attacks against whites reached 77,000, while the number of white people who reported being wounded was five times the number of black and minority ethnic victims at 20,000.[27]

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2006/oct/22/ukcrime.race

Nearly half of all victims of racially motivated murders in the last decade have been white, according to official figures released by the Home Office.

The disclosure will add to the intense debate over multiculturalism in British society. The figures also overturn the assumption that almost all racial murders are committed against ethnic minority victims.

Senior police officers have admitted that 'political correctness' and the fear of discussing the issue have meant that race crime against white people goes under-reported. One chief constable has claimed that white, working-class men are more alienated than the Muslim community.

Peter Fahy, the Chief Constable of Cheshire and a spokesman on race issues for the Association of Chief Police Officers, said it was a fact that it was harder to get the media interested where murder victims were young white men.

'The political correctness and reluctance to discuss these things absolutely does play a factor', he said. 'A lot of police officers and other professions feel almost the best thing to do is try and avoid it for fear of being criticised. We probably have all got ourselves into a bit of state about this.

the above certainly changes my perspective.

if you believe i have an agenda then carry on with that assumption.
as nothing i say will change what you think.

laws that apply to government employees? you mean sneaking around
snooping on children and workmates?
can you hand on heart say that spying on folk for the state is
a good thing?

as to children being suspended from school, whether they were
or were not is immaterial the fact that the state is spying and snooping
on them is enough to make me question the states motives.

as for teachers obeying the law lol how long before there are denunciations
of colleagues for not following the party line?

as to the op's question my response would have been '**** off ya bam
and dont get in touch again arsehole'
thats assuming i was fragile and precious enough to be upset. how can
i answer as i know not what was said or in what context.?
as to children learning such things from their parents i agree that could
well be the case.
it could also be the prevalance of hollywood films
or tv shows from across the pond where racial expressions and stereotypes
are used constantly.

and to finish i am not fixared by an agenda mate. i dont have an agenda.
i do like a good debate and i can only express views which are mine and mine
alone. if folk dont like them fair enough? i dont really care.
 matchlight
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 9/7/2011 1:52:41 PM
It's very clear that any state in the U.S. can pass laws that make sentences more severe when the defendant committed a crime against a white victim just because he was white. It is not at all clear how often that fact is proven in court and upheld on appeal, compared with how often that happens when the victim was chosen because he was of some non-white race.

Statistics that show how often victims of different races claim they were targeted because of their race don't say very much. Just the fact a person claims that doesn't make it true--that's why we have courts.

The total number of claims made by victims of this or that race doesn't mean much either, because it ignores what percentage of all crime victims are members of a certain race. If half of all victims were white, and half of all victims who claimed they were targeted because of their race were also white, no surprise. But if only one tenth of all victims claiming they were targeted because of their race were white, why should that be?

It would be interesting to know, for crime victims of each race, what percentage of defendants actually received enhanced sentences, upheld on appeal, for targeting them because of their race.
 kari135
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 9/7/2011 3:39:04 PM
I've been following this thread - big surprise - and overall, what it reminds me of most is my early childhood. Remember, all you US citizens, HUAC and Samuel Comstock? My parents and relatives were very careful what was discussed at the dinner table, and it was drummed into my head to never ever repeat anything we say anywhere else. In fact, I learned that lesson so well I rarely talked to anyone other than when a teacher called on me to read a lesson in school.
 unYOUsual
Msg: 82
Posted: 9/7/2011 4:28:29 PM

So, your're saying that when swastika's are spray painted on synagogue's or synagogue's burned to the ground...and they are declared "hate crimes"...that the synagogue's members are black???...and that all gays are black???
Seriously? what part don't you understand? People can claim they are victims of a hate crime based solely on the color of their skin, for example a white and a black get into a fight the black guy says it was racially motivated..so the cops investigate it as a Hate crime..the same scenario, the white guys says it was racially motivated...the cop says "what type of watch were you wearing?" and it is investigated as a robbery....understand now?
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 83
Posted: 9/7/2011 4:45:25 PM

Seriously? what part don't you understand? People can claim they are victims of a hate crime based solely on the color of their skin, for example a white and a black get into a fight the black guy says it was racially motivated..so the cops investigate it as a Hate crime..the same scenario, the white guys says it was racially motivated...the cop says "what type of watch were you wearing?" and it is investigated as a robbery....understand now?

What I understand is that hate crimes are predominately against minorities...and what this poster does not understand is that his post smack of racism and bigotry IMO....without the racist apology.

Hate crime statistics published in 2002, gathered by the FBI under the auspices of the Hate Crime Statistics Act of 1990, documented over 7,000 hate crime incidents, in roughly one-fifth of which the victims were white people.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_crime_laws_in_the_United_States
 kari135
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 9/7/2011 5:54:24 PM

So, half the racially motivated crimes were against white people, …what's the percentage of white people vs black people?

According to the 2001 Census, the ethnic composition of the United Kingdom was 92.14% white, 2.3% black.

Do the numbers…

Unless denial's easier...

I did a bit of searching on the web, and what I found was completely different from ethnic demographics in the US. In the UK, it seems that different ethnic groups are Scots, Welsh, Irish, Cornish, etc. Race, as we recognize it in the US, doesn't seem to come into it anywhere.

In the US, race is more black, white, brown, and so on, but there are sitll groups that aren't covered by any definition. For instance, there are some Native American tribes with members who have 100% Native American blood, but the tribes themselves are considered non-existent - the federally non-recognized tribes. So where do they fit?
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 9/7/2011 6:05:47 PM
In the UK, EU, Midwest, South and Southwest US, ethnicity is different and racism adjusts to accomodate the need to hate. In the UK the tribes have been at war for centuries, nearly indistingishable, but for the last names. Not that "United" nor is the European "union". Where I was raise in the midwestern US, there was an ongoing ethnic war between the Germans, Norwegians, Iwegians, Pollacks, Spics, Swedes, Irish, etc. Everyone seemed to need someone to look down upon. Everyone seemed to hate the First Nations folks and Southern "rednecks" though there was little to differentiate between the hate groups. Ironically, the northern tribes and the Scots/Irish dominated tribes of the South of the US share a common denominator of being the birth and nurturing places of the most Hate Groups per capita.

Seems to be the common denominator of coming from cultures with an inherent need to have some sort of enemy, find comfort in finding common enemies beyong the polish and swede jokes. It also seems they have all agreed that the brown folks from south of the border and in their midst are easy common prey for hate.
 matchlight
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Posted: 9/7/2011 6:23:08 PM

What I understand is that hate crimes are predominately against minorities

You may understand that to be true--but you haven't shown that it is. I'll say it again: Just because local police agencies collect claims by people that they were victimized by criminals because of their race, that doesn't mean those claims are true. And if the FBI just sums up the claims collected by all those agencies throughout the country, all it's doing is giving unverified accusations the gloss of official truth.

Where is the evidence that when people convicted of crimes have received enhanced sentences for choosing their victims because of race, those victims have been disproportionately non-white? If it exists, you haven't provided it.

I already cited Wisconsin v. Mitchell, in which a white boy was badly beaten by black thugs purely because he was white. That's the Supreme Court's most important hate crime decision involving a hate-motivated physical attack, rather than cross-burning, inflicting emotional distress, or other "hate speech." If what you're claiming is true, why would the Court have chosen to take an atypical case for such an important decision?
 vibrantshe
Msg: 87
Posted: 9/7/2011 8:09:05 PM
Yes, it does seem that my post went from a question about how to best handle a racist remark, to a great deal of anxiety about hate crimes against white people.

I never heard back from the man, so maybe he found a nice lady more on his page. :)
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 88
Posted: 9/7/2011 8:13:48 PM

I never heard back from the man, so maybe he found a nice lady more on his page. :)

I certainly hope not. Quickest way to change a racist is for him to learn that racists don't get laid. His eyes will open and he will embrace the brotherhood beneath the skin.
 karma1160
Msg: 89
Posted: 9/7/2011 10:06:09 PM
I would probably say something and here is why: a lot of people esspecially in the midwest grew up in places that were segregated, and learned things out of ignorance and they need to know, that this is not acceptable anymore. So many people think that they are not racists, but do not realize that they still chime in on all the old racial slurs that keep people down. They have learned these things, from the past and need to change.
As people of the future, we need to be letting people know what we stand for, whether we feel we can make an impact or not, we are still planting seeds.
 RichenLosAngeles
Msg: 90
Posted: 9/8/2011 12:04:59 AM
Karma, you make some amazing generalizations.
The midwest is where racism is learned the most?
Who, exactly, chimes in with "all" the racial slurs?
 vlad dracul
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2011 4:56:43 AM
EP your quite right mate.
In Scotland there is far more likely to be derogatory remarks against the English and also over religion than race.
Some see the English, Irish, Welsh and Scots as individual races but I don’t see that myself
Our old world tribal instincts do come to the fore frequently especially during sporting events.

‘Some stereotypes just can't seem to stop perpetuating themselves.’
Like the peoples of the Midwest perchance?

But I did notice that some stereotypes keep perpetuating themselves, maybe just not the ones that the poster means.

As another poster has said what racial slurs have been used apart from the geezer in the op’s original post?

And as far as I can see no one has disagreed with what the op’s reaction to the racial slur was.

It’s now turning into a bit tail chasing as we can all pull out stats that support our particular views.

Boot time tae stoap gien it the big story eh?
Naebidys sayin thit anyboadys a radge ur they?
(Sorry I don’t know any Latin so I used Edinburgh
schemie instead)
 vlad dracul
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2011 6:30:21 AM
i agree in as much as people can judge for themselves what they class
as a slur and take the appropriate action as they see fit.

im not sure what you mean by 'entitlement issue' though?
 motown cowgirl
Msg: 93
Posted: 9/8/2011 6:49:26 AM
I would probably say something and here is why: a lot of people esspecially in the midwest grew up in places that were segregated, and learned things out of ignorance and they need to know,

that seems pretty officious. are you suggesting that they "need to know" racism is generally frowned upon, or are you suggesting that they "need to know" you were personally offended by their racist opinions?

if you are suggesting the former, then i'm pretty sure essentially everybody knows at this point that racism is generally frowned upon ---> EVEN IN THE MIDWEST.

if you are suggesting the latter, then at least it would be relevant to a conversation you were having with a racist person. but i really think you're kidding yourself if you think your clucks of disapproval or a personal lecture are going to change their deeply held opinions about people that don't look like them.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2011 8:06:37 AM
interesting wee article on russia today. white folk being randomly
attacked on the street during a fair or something like that.
the geezer makes a valid point about unemployment but there
was no way of hiding the issue that white folk were attacked
because they were white and no other reason.

http://rt.com/usa/news/racial-milwaukee-donovan-riots-487/
The community is in denial, he said, and cites that many lawmakers won’t admit that the incident at the state fair was racial.
“That’s absurd!” said Donovan.
 matchlight
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2011 8:23:05 AM

I never heard back from the man, so maybe he found a nice lady more on his page.

You are very charitable toward this hypothetical woman. I don't see how any female who would waste her time with a man who's a hater, as your former correspondent seems to be, could be considered either a "lady" or "nice." We should all show how tolerant we are by refusing ever to tolerate intolerance.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 96
Posted: 9/9/2011 3:04:06 PM
A man once asked me in his second email if I had ever had sex with a black man. After I blistered his derriere for asking something so stupid, he didn't contact me again.
 kari135
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2011 3:37:58 PM

A man once asked me in his second email if I had ever had sex with a black man. After I blistered his derriere for asking something so stupid, he didn't contact me again.

How is that racist? …a little too forward maybe, but racist?

I dunno about anyone else, but I would take it that the man in question was a racist, as well as being way too forward, for thinking he had the right to ask such a question. It's none of his business who any woman has slept with, unless he's just looking for a hookup, then the only thing that matters is whether or not his potential partner has a clean bill of health.
 CurlyQT4U
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2011 6:15:58 PM
I would have banned him to boot
 trinity818
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2011 6:30:20 PM

A man once asked me in his second email if I had ever had sex with a black man

I've received this type of email in the past and told him it was none of his business, but didn't consider it racist because he was black. I interpreted it as a leading question for gauging interest.

Now if a white guy asked me that, I would take it as a precursor to some kind of racist thinking. I haven't gotten one of these yet, but I'm sure I would bristle.

It's all about the context.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Posted: 9/10/2011 12:03:57 AM
Here mate at last we agree on something. I nearly choked
on my cup of tea when I read that.

There certainly are
some sensitive white folks on the threads.

Still makes for good topics of conversation and debate
can't let the sensitive posters have it all their own way
now can we?

Tally ho
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Racist Remark - How would you respond? [CLOSED for Review]