Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Racist Remark - How would you respond? [CLOSED for Review]      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 vlad dracul
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Racist Remark - How would you respond?Page 6 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
EP your quite right mate.
In Scotland there is far more likely to be derogatory remarks against the English and also over religion than race.
Some see the English, Irish, Welsh and Scots as individual races but I don’t see that myself
Our old world tribal instincts do come to the fore frequently especially during sporting events.

‘Some stereotypes just can't seem to stop perpetuating themselves.’
Like the peoples of the Midwest perchance?

But I did notice that some stereotypes keep perpetuating themselves, maybe just not the ones that the poster means.

As another poster has said what racial slurs have been used apart from the geezer in the op’s original post?

And as far as I can see no one has disagreed with what the op’s reaction to the racial slur was.

It’s now turning into a bit tail chasing as we can all pull out stats that support our particular views.

Boot time tae stoap gien it the big story eh?
Naebidys sayin thit anyboadys a radge ur they?
(Sorry I don’t know any Latin so I used Edinburgh
schemie instead)
 vlad dracul
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Racist Remark - How would you respond?
Posted: 9/8/2011 6:30:21 AM
i agree in as much as people can judge for themselves what they class
as a slur and take the appropriate action as they see fit.

im not sure what you mean by 'entitlement issue' though?
 motown cowgirl
Msg: 93
Posted: 9/8/2011 6:49:26 AM
I would probably say something and here is why: a lot of people esspecially in the midwest grew up in places that were segregated, and learned things out of ignorance and they need to know,

that seems pretty officious. are you suggesting that they "need to know" racism is generally frowned upon, or are you suggesting that they "need to know" you were personally offended by their racist opinions?

if you are suggesting the former, then i'm pretty sure essentially everybody knows at this point that racism is generally frowned upon ---> EVEN IN THE MIDWEST.

if you are suggesting the latter, then at least it would be relevant to a conversation you were having with a racist person. but i really think you're kidding yourself if you think your clucks of disapproval or a personal lecture are going to change their deeply held opinions about people that don't look like them.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2011 8:06:37 AM
interesting wee article on russia today. white folk being randomly
attacked on the street during a fair or something like that.
the geezer makes a valid point about unemployment but there
was no way of hiding the issue that white folk were attacked
because they were white and no other reason.

http://rt.com/usa/news/racial-milwaukee-donovan-riots-487/
The community is in denial, he said, and cites that many lawmakers won’t admit that the incident at the state fair was racial.
“That’s absurd!” said Donovan.
 matchlight
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2011 8:23:05 AM

I never heard back from the man, so maybe he found a nice lady more on his page.

You are very charitable toward this hypothetical woman. I don't see how any female who would waste her time with a man who's a hater, as your former correspondent seems to be, could be considered either a "lady" or "nice." We should all show how tolerant we are by refusing ever to tolerate intolerance.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 96
Posted: 9/9/2011 3:04:06 PM
A man once asked me in his second email if I had ever had sex with a black man. After I blistered his derriere for asking something so stupid, he didn't contact me again.
 kari135
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2011 3:37:58 PM

A man once asked me in his second email if I had ever had sex with a black man. After I blistered his derriere for asking something so stupid, he didn't contact me again.

How is that racist? …a little too forward maybe, but racist?

I dunno about anyone else, but I would take it that the man in question was a racist, as well as being way too forward, for thinking he had the right to ask such a question. It's none of his business who any woman has slept with, unless he's just looking for a hookup, then the only thing that matters is whether or not his potential partner has a clean bill of health.
 CurlyQT4U
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2011 6:15:58 PM
I would have banned him to boot
 trinity818
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2011 6:30:20 PM

A man once asked me in his second email if I had ever had sex with a black man

I've received this type of email in the past and told him it was none of his business, but didn't consider it racist because he was black. I interpreted it as a leading question for gauging interest.

Now if a white guy asked me that, I would take it as a precursor to some kind of racist thinking. I haven't gotten one of these yet, but I'm sure I would bristle.

It's all about the context.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Posted: 9/10/2011 12:03:57 AM
Here mate at last we agree on something. I nearly choked
on my cup of tea when I read that.

There certainly are
some sensitive white folks on the threads.

Still makes for good topics of conversation and debate
can't let the sensitive posters have it all their own way
now can we?

Tally ho
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 101
Posted: 9/10/2011 6:45:25 AM

How is that racist? …a little too forward maybe, but racist?

It was racist because if I had replied in the affirmative, he would have immediately lost his interest in me. There is only ONE reason why a Caucasian male would ask a female that. Several black men have asked the same question, but their intent was different.
 matchlight
Msg: 102
view profile
History
Posted: 9/10/2011 11:10:18 AM

They especially don't want white women dating any kind of minority man.

To each, their own. I suspect very few white women who choose not to date non-white men do that to gain the approval of any white man. I can understand how a person who didn't date people of other races might want to date only those who felt the same. What preferences you have in friends and lovers is a pretty basic issue to differ on. It could cause problems if you got into a serious relationship, to the extent you socialized with other people as a couple.

True racists want to subjugate or otherwise harm people because of their race. Just choosing to associate mostly or entirely with people of your own race is not racism. You could wish people of some other race or ethnicity all the best, but because you didn't have many interests in common, had different customs and tastes, or for other very ordinary reasons, just not enjoy their company much. If that weren't a common feature of people, regardless of their race or ethncity, they wouldn't tend to live in identifiable communities as they do and always have done, all around the world.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 103
Posted: 9/10/2011 11:52:23 AM

I can understand how a person who didn't date people of other races might want to date only those who felt the same.

Then they should post this on their profiles or wear t-shirts in public stating at much.

I accepted a date from a friend of my brother-in-law as a courtesy--I won't do that again! As we were driving to a restaurant some 50 miles from my sister's house, the guy dropped the "N" bomb and also started expressing his approval of gay marriage. I guess he could not see the horror on my face in the dark. I cut him short and said, "But I support all the things you oppose." He said that was "fine" because everyone is entitled to his/her opinion. It was actually fine with him because he had waited months to get a "date" with me and my appeal to him outweighed my polar stances.

It wasn't fine with me! IF I had not been on a dark mountain road 40 miles from where I was staying, my retort would have been much sharper.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 104
Posted: 9/10/2011 12:37:28 PM
I can understand how a person who didn't date people of other races might want to date only those who felt the same. What preferences you have in friends and lovers is a pretty basic issue to differ on. It could cause problems if you got into a serious relationship, to the extent you socialized with other people as a couple.

I share this viewpoint, and believe many others do, as well. In fact, on the other popular paid dating site, there's a question where one can check off which ethnic groups they're willing to date.

Anyone interested in another person could look at how they responded to this question and gauge whether or not their own preferences might clash with those of the other person, thus avoiding some of the uncomfortable social scenarios described above.
 amylookingf
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2011 3:09:53 PM
I think the key to that answer would be. Would it change any thing? or would change hes thinking? A jerk is a jerk.
 solidsnake09
Msg: 106
Posted: 9/12/2011 3:46:48 PM
I don't see anything wrong with racist remarks. It's their 1st Amendment right to say whatever they want, so long as they aren't acting on violence than who cares?

Words are words.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 107
Posted: 9/12/2011 4:04:26 PM

I don't see anything wrong with racist remarks. It's their 1st Amendment right to say whatever they want, so long as they aren't acting on violence than who cares?

Words are words.

I care. It is my right not to listen to their tripe or be asked stupid questions by strangers.

If you think that words are just words, I suggest that you view some tapes of Hitler's speeches from the WWII era. Violent words are the first step toward violent acts.
 RichenLosAngeles
Msg: 108
Posted: 9/12/2011 5:36:10 PM
Gwen, in msg 172 you write that a man only asks a woman if she has had sex partners of other races for ONE reason only.
In my mind a woman who has been with men of different races implies that she is adventurous, and therefore might be a more interesting and desirable woman to be with.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2011 6:06:51 PM
Most excellent thread for showing people to be what they are. Lots of creative convoluting and danceing around the OP subject. More telling than the profiles themselves. Keep on keeping on people.
 kari135
Msg: 110
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2011 6:23:54 PM
/\/\/\/\ What CheshireCatalyst said.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 111
Posted: 9/12/2011 6:56:36 PM
Gwen, in msg 172 you write that a man only asks a woman if she has had sex partners of other races for ONE reason only.
In my mind a woman who has been with men of different races implies that she is adventurous, and therefore might be a more interesting and desirable woman to be with.

I just don't buy into this--especially if a guy asks this in the second email! He is assuming a LOT, including that the woman (in this case, me) finds him attractive.

Would you ask a woman this before even meeting her?

Sorry, I agree with Gwen on this. A WHITE man doesn't ask this question to find out if she's adventurous.

If he wants to know if she's a deviant sex goddess, he'll ask if she likes leather, roleplaying, spanking, biting, anal, hair-pulling, threesomes, bi-sexualism, voyeurism, erotica, etc. etc.

Agreed.

I'd rather not bring Hitler into this. Otherwise I'd be hitting on some huge points that you probably wouldn't like such as the staged attack on his own parliament building to blame the communists and to get the public to be feared. It was how he became dictator. My point?

Well, my point is, we're living in a similar situation. That's all I'll say.

Don't lead the forum off topic.

And you missed my point. It doesn't matter if what you say is true or not: violent words presage violent behavior.
 vibrantshe
Msg: 112
Posted: 9/13/2011 7:56:03 AM
Only a complete clod would ask a woman about her sexual history before even meeting her.
 RichenLosAngeles
Msg: 113
Posted: 9/14/2011 8:22:35 AM
Msg 191 - I agree. It WAS a stupid move on his part.
I spent years on CL messaging women, trying to get dates. I had no "forum angels" to guide me, so I learned by trial and error. Now I know that when communications begin, the contact is extremely tenuous, and the slightest error on my part means that the woman will disappear.
At the same time, I also know that women get many more messages than men, and I have to do something right away to make myself stand apart from all the other men. In my case, I use humor, charm, and off-the -wall remarks. I figure that I have nothing to lose, on CL a cute woman would get 300 messages the first day!!
I still send out stupid remarks on POF, I might mention her cleavage, or her eyes or hair. Sometimes it is seen as cute, and she responds in a favorable way. Usually I get no response.
 unYOUsual
Msg: 114
Posted: 9/14/2011 9:16:45 AM

Did you answer him? If you have then why not answer? If not why not answer? Trying to figure out why this is offensive..did you ask him why he asked? Maybe he has relatives that are Black and was trying to figure out if you were prejudiced...
 pinkoleander
Msg: 115
Posted: 9/14/2011 9:23:25 AM
Because had she really been upset she would have let him have it instead of coming on here posting and getting everyone all in a dither. I've been asked no end of idiotic questions by men and I haven't posted a single one on the forums.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Racist Remark - How would you respond? [CLOSED for Review]