Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Physically abused for the first time      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ladyc4
Msg: 26
Physically abused for the first timePage 2 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
OP
I think the message is loud and clear-what your SO did is a complete and utter dealbreaker.
If he has problems with alcohol to the point where he REALLY doesn't remember what he does when he drinks-that's NOT an excuse, simply another red flag.

You have a duty to stay not only alive, but physically and emotionally healthy-because you have a child who needs you.
I cast my vote with the "end it" contingent.
Cindy O
 butterflie_1207
Msg: 27
Physically abused for the first time
Posted: 8/28/2011 7:21:53 AM
It was the first time, but it won't be the last.
 jaqi
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 8/28/2011 7:21:56 AM
OP Steer very clear of this man. This may be the first time he has showed this side to you but highly unlikely that it is the first time he has behaved this way.

These men inevitably make out they don't know what they have done and that they are sorry, handing out their apologies without real meaning.

He won't stop drinking or see a councillor once he has got you to forgive him and soon his actions will become 'your fault'. He will make the guilt yours, not his.

These men follow a pattern. End it for good now and put yourself and your son first.
 Revilors
Msg: 29
Posted: 8/28/2011 7:37:43 AM

alcohol lowers your inhibitions

Yes it does. It takes away some/all of the things that prevent you from doing thing you are already capable of doing.

For me...there is a slight risk I might get up in font of a bunch of people and sing to words on a screen. But only a slight risk. Not of kicking you in the ribs while you are presumably on the ground.

It's NEVER an excuse for hitting a woman. Nor is it for cheating. You're either capable or you are not.

There are other inhibitors besides alcohol. Like those things that keep you from farting in front of your gf/bf. In time...those things that prevent us from showing those sides of us fade to the background. You'll have to wonder if/how long it will be before he doesn't require the alcohol to become uninhibited.
 RushLuv
Msg: 30
Posted: 8/28/2011 7:49:11 AM

I don't get these women that stick around to be punching bags for years on end...

Oh but....they just looooove these men so much, and have too much emotional attachment.

Maury: He's so abusive towards you, therefore, why are you still with him?
Lacy: ::Cries:: I love him, Maury!

OP,

Once a man hits you, he can very well do it again. The abuse will became a patten, therefore. do NOT make the mistake of sticking around and as Lint put it, becoming a punching bag. Wise up and be smart.

Good luck to you.
 sweetonvaquero19
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 8/28/2011 8:04:28 AM
Ohhh god! Seriously , in all reality what he said could be true, and it could be a total lie , ethier way you dont have to live in fear , no woman has to live in fear its called getting a backbone , stop playing the role of the victim, by that if you decide to go back to him just.make sure you got hot grease, or a cast iron skillet, but seriously it already seems you made up your mind , stop trying to justify going back to him ,
 waidttma
Msg: 32
Posted: 8/28/2011 8:08:36 AM
My advice is to leave...there's no turning back in my experience. Your relationship will never be the same.
 SC67
Msg: 33
Posted: 8/28/2011 8:10:19 AM

he kicked me in the ribs

run...don't walk...and pray that he will let you go quietly.

My very first boyfriend was abusive & my ex-husband was an alcoholic. I've heard every promise & guess what...they probably believed they were gonna change & they'd be good for a while, but in the end it was more of the same. Get out now & you won't have to explain Mommy's bruises to your son.
 pasmal
Msg: 34
Posted: 8/28/2011 8:15:57 AM
I kind of doubt he's really so great--as you said, if he can get drunk --first time (ha, is that what he told you and do you believe what you want to believe vs the facts).
3 years and now you think of moving in... and he's acted a surrogate father?
He is not the kid's dad and hope that is not influencing you.
Do you live far apart? Maybe you don't know the real guy--anyone can put on a good face 1 or 2 times a week. Do not move in.
How do you accidentally kick somebody in the ribs? Is he angry with you about some issue? I think you need therapy alone.
Him--he is not the last man on earth.
I think any woman/person has to have a zero tolerance for malicious behavior, any form of abuse.
 commonsens_reloaded
Msg: 35
Posted: 8/28/2011 10:13:11 AM
hum, the alcohol behavior factor...

I've been super extra drunk hundreds of times in my lifetime, but never turned violent (I turn more chatty and philosophical), so no, i do not want to jump to quick conclusions.

As two early poster mentioned (motowngirl and another) : alcohol is an inhibitors, it lower the threshold and thus let out what is already present. But as you mentioned that he never got drunk before in years, never showed aggressive behavior, am inclined to look deeper instead of jumping to the "popular" solution.

The real answer to find is if that behavior is native, thus permanent to the individual or the temporary results of recent events, accumulations etc etc.
Although It doesn't excuse the action in anyway, it provide a clue if there is a danger of repetitions and if the problem can be cured with professional help.

Right now, you have taken 'a break', so all is in pause and you are safe. If he consult a professional and completely do the therapy, the results will give you a good direction or course of actions for the future, if future there is, while giving you while he is doing his therapy, the time to evaluate the situation rationally.
 Jypzee
Msg: 36
Posted: 8/28/2011 10:15:13 AM
i know what i would do..hightail it for the closest mountain, exit, door, window...whatever you do is on you, i wouldn't stick around after some guy kicked me in the ribs, i'm out of there...
 daynadaze
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 8/28/2011 10:27:05 AM
He needs to go do all those things he's promising, but alone. He does not need to drag you or your child though his therapy. If he's sincere he would get the help he needs and not expect you to be there with him. You need to get your own counseling and you both need to not worry about being together until you have worked on this alone. I'm sure if he's sincere and you are being honest, that your therapists will know when you two might try therapy together.

Yes some people can't drink, they turn into monsters and should never ever drink again. But it's very important that he's not trying to keep you, that his goal is to find out what happened to him and to do something about it. When it depends on you being there for him to want to get help then it's usually just an excuse and he's not really looking to get help, he's just trying to get you to get over it...until the next time. People don't just accidentally beat you up, there's a reason for it.
 southmeetswest
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 8/28/2011 10:34:00 AM
i had that happen to me one time, years ago. dating a guy, shows up drunk, i was not happy, he slapped me across the face and held me down to keep me from leaving.
he fell asleep, i left. he was gone the next morning. he tried to speak to me a couple days later, i told him to get lost, never come around me again.
i never wanted to experience that side of him and i figured if it showed up once it could show up again.
i would never continue seeing someone that showed aggression toward me or others.
pretty simple.

i know what i did but i can't tell you what to do.

kaylee
 pitufina_77
Msg: 39
Posted: 8/28/2011 10:43:26 AM

"It doesn't matter how much he cries, or how much he promises never to do it again. He WILL do it again, and he'll do it WORSE."

Sadly, I was a victim to this.

My exhusband became abusive. I stood by his side to support him, to save our marriage and our family. I even allowed him to take a career break to relief his stress (whilst I supported the family). I spoke to pastors, doctors and counsellors. We managed for him to allowed to get around the four month waiting list for counselling.

He rejected everything. Yes, it got worse with time. I fell out of love, left him, moved on and now I'm happier, younger and my life has improved.

But nobody will give me back the years spent threading on eggshells.

For you and your son, get out and never allow him back in your life. Set safety measures, such as being able to text somebody a single character if there is trouble, so they know what to do and who to call, and never allow yourself to be in a closed environment alone with him.

Please, believe me a and run.

And feel free to message me privately if you want to discuss it further.
 Accidentally In Love
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 8/28/2011 10:47:11 AM

he pushed me about, spoke to me very aggressively and he kicked me in the ribs.

What if he does this in front of your son the next time?
What if he does this TO your son the next time?
If he could kick you then the man has no boundaries so don't think for one minute that him going off on your kid is an impossibility.

So now we are on a break and I am thinking of ending our relationpship.

Good thinking.

Says he will stop drinking, see a councillor, do anything to save our relatioship.

Talk is cheap.
If he's only still just talking about it 3 weeks after the incident and he hasn't actually DONE anything about it then he probably never will.

Is it the drink or from him?

Does it really matter where it's coming from if the end result is you getting beat up?

His drink pattern is normal...only drinks on weekends and in healthy amounts

You need to redefine normal and healthy.

What's normal and healthy about drinking to the point of blacking out and not remembering beating up the one you supposedly love?

Leave him now to ensure that this will be the LAST time you are physically abused by him.
 Easygoin68a
Msg: 41
Posted: 8/28/2011 10:51:56 AM
Call the police, file a report and try to have the dirt bag arrested. and NEVER EVER go back. It will only get worse.
 NewtSoup
Msg: 42
Posted: 8/28/2011 3:10:36 PM
I am not defending what he did to you. I feel terrible for you.

However you say this has never happened before and if he didn't drink any more than usual the perhaps his behaviour was a symptom of an underlying cause. I don't know what that might be, I'm no doctor, but it might be worth getting checked out.

If on the other hand this is the first time he has ever got drunk in your presence and he turned this way then I'd say he's either got to be you or the drink that goes.

Three years of a good relationship is hard to give up but for the moment at least you have to look after yourself and your son first.
 A_Gent
Msg: 43
Posted: 8/28/2011 3:27:20 PM
An extreme personality change when a person has been drinking it a major red flag. However, if you sincerely believe the person is otherwise of good character, and he is sincerely sorry, there may still be a chance. Sincerely sorry would be putting his words into action and seeing a counsellor as well as total abstinence from alcohol. And if you are sincere in your affections with him, you would too abstain in support. |I would suggest at least a year, maybe two to ensure he can live up to his word before you commit. And.. if there is ANY lapse.. be gone.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 44
Posted: 8/28/2011 3:27:59 PM
In 3 years you should know this guy pretty well. If it is completely out of character for him, then you might want to consider treating this as an incident and not a pattern. He seems willing to do everything he can to make this right - or as right as possible.

There are abusive guys out there, but it's pretty rare for it to take 3 years for it to show up. Clearly you need to protect yourself and your son, but cautious steps do not preclude continuing with him. If this is the first time you've seen him drunk in 3 years, giving up alcohol will not be a serious hardship. I'd miss the odd glass of wine or beer, but I could live quite comfortably without ever drinking again.
 Bladesmith81801
Msg: 45
Posted: 8/28/2011 3:28:36 PM
Pay attention to the words from an ex cop.

This WILL happen again. He will beg and plead, swear he's sorry and it'll never happen again. He will give you flowers and gifts. He will promise you the moon.

And then, inevitably, he will beat the hell out of you again. And the cycle of promises and gifts will occur, and he'll beat you again.

Get out now. NOW. Call the law and report the assault. Take pictures of your bruises and any other damage, physical and to your flat.

Get your things and move to a safe place.
 mr_explorer
Msg: 46
Posted: 8/28/2011 4:34:04 PM
you just have to date an alcoholic, don't you?
stay and you get beaten up again.

your choice
 Lil Brooker
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 8/28/2011 4:58:17 PM
He is beside himself. Says he will stop drinking, see a councillor, do anything to save our relatioship.

That is worth a second chance, but only a second chance. I was in an abusive relationship that seemed to come out of nowhere. His reaction was different from your guy. He tended to blame me for his actions and for some dumb reason, I bought it.

Proceed with caution. I am looking forward to whatever others advise.

On edit: after reading all the replies, call it quits. The trust has been broken.
 Ailliss
Msg: 48
Posted: 8/28/2011 5:08:21 PM

Three weeks ago he got drunk for the first time and turned into a monster. He became disorientated, he pushed me about, spoke to me very aggressively and he kicked me in the ribs.
We are both shocked at his reaction. Me particularly because he couldnt remember the dreadful incident!

He sounds like he is suffering from Alcohol induced psychosis.

If he has been a great guy for three years; keep in mind you do not live with him and he may have been as horrible, on other occasions you are not aware of, as he was to you recently.

If he is a regular drinker it may not take much to push his alcohol infused brain over the edge. But, with that in mind, if he became this violent only on the occasion of complete drunkenness he may be suffering from the above disorder. Like a schizophrenic he would not totally remember his actions.

A drunk psychotic person can completely change his behavior. He literally does not have complete control of his facilities. This can make him a danger, not just to you and others, but to himself as well.

Why not go with him to a competent psychiatrist, one familiar with this disorder. At the very least, you may be able to eliminate that he has an illness and find he is just a mean drunk. Either way though he will not be able to drink again. Would you be ok with that? Usually it means you need to give up alcohol as well.
Btw how did the kick in the ribs come about? Were you arguing or physically assaulting one another; or did it just come out of nowhere?
 CompletelyDone
Msg: 49
Posted: 8/28/2011 7:18:29 PM
OP... You have received an abundance of good advice in this thread and I hope you will follow it BUT, with the way you've drafted your original post, I don't think you will. You are attempting to rationalize this man's physical assault on you and when people rationalize, I believe it is because they don't want to accept the realities of the situation. You say you don't know what to do but you DO know. You're not an inexperienced young woman who has no life experience to measure by. You're a 40 year old mother of one who is, according to your profile, well-travelled and well-educated. Perhaps, it would be more correct for you to say, "I do know what to do but I don't want to do it."??

What your boyfriend did to you is against the law. It is an offence that would mark him as a criminal and take away his ability to work in certain occupations if he was found guilty. It's pretty obvious that you have not involved the law because if you did, you would be writing to ask us about how to cope with a boyfriend who is doing time in prison. He has, by your good will only, escaped the adult consequences for his decision to drink too much and to physically assault someone. This is what also tells me that you really don't want to "do" anything... You've already absolved him of the consequences he SHOULD be facing. He was not overtaken by a demon. He did not suddenly become someone else. The bottle does not hold some evil elixir that spins him around and forces him to become nasty. It was his own decision to drink too much and then let down the barriers I think he has been keeping up around some pretty angry feelings and resentments that he has for you. I have no doubt you know this so I'll not belabour it further.

I do want to say to you that IF by some miracle you DO decide to leave him, you need to be extremely careful in how you go about it. Since he's already proven his capacity for violence, you are now standing under the umbrella of many other women who know that it is when they leave, that they are in the most danger. You need to take special precautions such as taking back any keys he may have or changing passcodes and passwords on bank accounts and such. You need to make the break in public and not allow yourself to be convinced to meet him in a private spot. You need to increase security around your son and vary his and your own routines. Perhaps, before you do anything or say anything, you should meet with someone from a battered woman's shelter to have them discuss what you need to do to stay safe while leaving. I implore you to do this carefully and NOT to assume that he is incapable of any further violence.

If you choose to continue to rationalize his behavior, then I can only hope you will come to the place where you are strong enough to stop your brain from playing around with the truth and take the steps you know you MUST take. Wishing you the courage to feel the feelings and do what is best for you and your child anyway... Good luck!
 Ailliss
Msg: 50
Posted: 8/28/2011 7:44:03 PM
Silken Fire, that is excellent advice for women who know they are in an abusive relationship.

But the OP is in shock. She is not accustomed to this behavior from her bf.

Why I asked her what precipitated the ‘kick in the ribs’. Not that I would ever excuse a person kicking another but if they were being physical, as in fighting with one another. One is usually on the ground when being kicked in the ribs. So more than just this kick occurred before it. Also, there is a kick, as in kicking her away from him; and there is a kick meant to injure. In the latter case she would have had no choice but to inform the police for such a kick, from a man to a small woman, would have fractured her ribs which would, by necessity, require immediate medical attention.

So, we need to know the facts; not just the rage from a hurt ego.

The days of “He hit me” while she appears unharmed and he stands bruised are long gone. Do not misunderstand, I am not advocating that he was in any way justified in any sort of physical contact with her. For I firmly believe that the stronger person, even when attacked by their love, should leave, walk away. However, with a drunk, clear thinking is not involved.

So again, if I may, OP and if you can, tell us what precipitated the ‘kick in the ribs’.
Additionally, did you require medical attention?

Without these answers we are assuming circumstances not in fact.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Physically abused for the first time