Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > (Older) women and motorcycles? That many, really?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 KAT4EVR
Msg: 26
view profile
History
(Older) women and motorcycles? That many, really?Page 2 of 19    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19)
I own my own bike. A 2004 Honda VTX 1300cc and have logged over 35000 miles on it since I bought it from a man in Conneaut Lake, Pa. I love my bike, it is on my profile page and I have said many times that I am looking for a man to ride with me. The last one turned out to be married, although his profile said divorced then he said separated then he "fessed" up when we rode with a group into Ohio. He is still married and moved back in with her but wanted to ride with me. Yeah, okay, not.
There are a ton of women who ride, Women on Wheels, Motor Maids and Women in the Wind are the groups I know about.
You cannot get me on the back of a bike anymore, I will cry and sob for miles if you try. LOL
And most women riders that I know do not like to go to bars when riding, they do not drink alcohol and ride. Just a clue maybe where to find them.
My trips were to St. Louis Missouri, Upper Peninsula of Michigan and Stratton, Vermont.
There are many of us long distance women riders, we are usually too busy riding. : )
 AnachronismRedux
Msg: 27
(Older) women and motorcycles? That many, really?
Posted: 9/5/2011 12:31:30 AM
I don't see anything wrong with it, but, yes, there are a lot of women in my age group who mention it in their profiles. It's a word, like camping, that automatically results in a click to the next profile. Again, nothing wrong with it, just an indication we don't have much in common.

I hope that women who are just a little frustrated with the picky nature of so many of us aren't just throwing that on their profiles to get noticed. Be yourself. Write your profile for the man you want to meet, not the man you want to avoid or the man you want to notice you.
 Muse1957
Msg: 28
Posted: 9/5/2011 5:17:25 AM
When I rode with a MC in my younger days we referred to HDs as "Milwaukee Vibrators".
 nativerock
Msg: 29
Posted: 9/5/2011 7:52:03 AM

Last thing I want is to see a girlfriend or a spouse recovering for months from
a mistake that happened in seconds. I will pass on women with bikes.

Love it and that is the way I would like the gent to think if I was dating him..As the sole surviving parent I would not want to leave my children due to risky behavior.

I actually will pass on a man riding a motor bike.

nativerock
 Welsh474
Msg: 30
Posted: 9/5/2011 8:55:58 AM
I am the sole surviving parent as well and my son also owns and rides a motorcyle and he is my sole surviving child.

My sisterinlaw's best friend was a cardiologist - he had a heart attack at 35 while jogging and left behind a wife and young child. All sports, interests and just plain living involve some sort of risk. If you do what you love wisely and safely we will all be here for the next few decades - unless we're hit by a bus walking back from Safeway (you just never know).

Motorcycles are something you either like or dislike. Me, I can't stand the scrapebooking crowd or the quilting queens or hunters or the ones that rag on and on about the latest excercise class and new raw food diet. BUT, we all have our own interests, that's what makes us who we are and if at the end of the day we find another person to enjoy those things with us or teach us some new things - I'm good with that.
 egowitch
Msg: 31
Posted: 9/5/2011 3:53:26 PM
I don't know about "nearly every woman over 45" - but there are many , certainly more than ever before. I've been a rider for 25yrs, kind of before it became so "in".

But the surge in women riders - and those interested in bikes in general , has increased over time, due in part , to manufacturers producing more bikes that fit those of smaller stature. Many smaller men have benefited as well !

And I'm real tired of hearing about "daring", and dangerous" , and organ donor jokes. The same demographic that shows up in car accidents , and many other sports - shows up in most motorcycle mishaps : young men between about 18-25. Running on testosterone !
The other group are those (most often older men) that used to ride, retire , and go out and buy a bike that is way more powerful than the one they rode 25 yrs ago. Without taking any rider's ed refresher courses - they hop on their big impressive machine, and go on out and hit the road - often literally !
And let's face it - motorcycle accidents, like plane crashes, tend to make a bigger "splash" ( so to speak ) , in the news - thus we remember them more. When there are so many car accidents every single day , one barely acknowledges them as you drive by ... unless there's lots of blood and mayhem !

Like anything else with potential dangers - and that would be a whole lot of things that we all do (along with driving CARS) - learning about risks, and learning how to manage and minimize them , can keep you alive to enjoy your favorite activity for a very long time !

Zo-o-o-om !!
 Kevjohns
Msg: 32
Posted: 9/5/2011 4:36:50 PM
And I'm real tired of hearing about "daring", and dangerous" , and organ donor jokes.

You can be tired of them, but many more motorcycle drivers/riders are seriously injured on a porportionate basis then those driving autos. It doesn't matter whether you are a safe driver or not, you are at the mercy of every nut case on the road and you have no protection to shield you from danger. I can't tell you the number of severe injuries and deaths from riding motor bikes I know of, where as if the person had been in a car, would have walked away without a scratch. To each his own of course, but it is a dangerous activity and if done frequently enough will sooner or later result in injury. It is foolish to discount that danger. Now sure Skiing and everything else can be dangerous, but when skiing I am taking a calculated risk, have control of my own actions and can minimize the risk by avoiding stupid stunts. Even if I get run down by an out of control skier, I am very likely to walk away with only a minor injury, maybe some broken bones. But at the speeds motorcycle drivers typically ride, even a very good helmet will be of little use in many accidents. I am talking about paralysis, brain damage, death here. Not worth it to me. But again, to each their own.
 Kevjohns
Msg: 33
Posted: 9/5/2011 5:50:24 PM

Chicken Shits ... that my immediate thought about people scared of people riding motorcycles

Big, tough, macho, wannabe hells angels are another concern of course. LOL
 mememe7
Msg: 34
Posted: 9/6/2011 9:20:33 AM
Hmmm I really didn't think gals would put on their profiles that they had a motorcycle and didnt? i mean.. what is the point of that.. you will find out eventually so what is the point of lying

I dont know about his post. i mean. I am 47 and did not just get my bike... i have had my bike and been riding since 1999.. so i not going through any mid life crisis etc..

As for why i bought a bike, always like bikes..and personally now that i ride i dont and wont go on the back of a guys bike unless i'm really sure of his riding capabilities..guess i like to be in control now... Don't need a man with a bike, doesn't matter would be nice..but not a manatory thing for me to "date" him..Just saying:)
 ActiveOneinRacine
Msg: 35
Posted: 9/6/2011 4:20:39 PM
Oh there are alot of wanna be's out there!. They dress the part but have never benn on a bike. There are also alot of overweight middle aged women who are just starting to ride, and when they dress like a sassy biker chick I think it is just rediculous. I ride, and enjoy it alot, and have been riding for years. I love riding my own, but dont mind being a passenger either. I am far from a "biker chick", but love to ride!
 KAT4EVR
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 9/7/2011 6:11:37 PM
smokin- you may be looking in the wrong places. We women riders are everywhere. We are international and all across the US. Most of us who actually ride our own will say just that. The ones who like to ride on the back will usually say they like bikes but will not say they ride on front.
There are still a surprising number of men who think women do not belong on their own bikes. They need to go back to their caves and fires. More women take the safety courses and are more careful riders. We don't do wheelies on the highway or race each other to prove how daring we are. We ride to enjoy the ride and the friends who ride.
I am proud to have my bike on my profile. I earned the right to have it there, I took the courses and stay in touch with reality when I ride. I do not use drugs or drink when riding anything. I prefer to enjoy the scent of flowers in the summer and the grapes in the Fall.
I hope you find that biker babe in your area.
 *army mom*
Msg: 37
Posted: 9/8/2011 9:02:46 AM
Not me. I've never been an adreneline junkie and don't plan to start now.

There's a reason emergency medical people call bike riders "organ donors".
 Welsh474
Msg: 38
Posted: 9/8/2011 9:23:43 AM
"Organ donors" - yea, heard that a million times. My best friend's 28 year old son made a wonderful organ donor when he hit a tree skiing, he bled out while being transported to hospital by helicopter - broken leg, severed an artery. He donated everything including his hair. My 33 year old son would have made a great organ donor if he hadn't drowned and not been found for 6 hours. We're all gonna die.

If you enjoy riding a motorcycle - ride it. If you're chicken shit, don't like the thought of riding, it doesn't interest you, etc. there are a million hobbies and interests out there for everyone. Do what ever you wish, just quit bytching about what I and many others like to do.
 snugglylisa
Msg: 39
Posted: 9/8/2011 9:51:57 AM
im 49 yes always as u say been pillion or passenger i call it riding something else lol but thats all goo. i have been riding passenger for 30 years thinking of trying to get my own in next year. yes i think alot of gals just think its a cool thing to do. but the ones of us that have done it forever appreciate what the freedom in doing it is all about. my co worker has her own always has ' and she is encouraging me to get mine.
 c_deacon
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2011 9:59:43 AM
If you have to explain it over and over.....you just will not understand!!

You either enjoy the feel of the ride, the view, open road, and adventure of being on a cycle, or you do not. All that goes with it, just becomes icing on the cake....the being together on that machine, the sharing of conversation, touch, wind, weather, on and on, and it brings you two much closer, much faster........and if alone.....it becomes one with nature!!

cd..........
 browneyesboo
Msg: 41
Posted: 9/8/2011 10:49:31 AM
Only in fishes would the idea of a woman (or a man) riding a motorcyle
be so blown out of proportion.

Just another button to be pushed, to allow others to wax poetic, jump on their
soapboxes or just plain gasp in amazement.

It's pretty much true, if it has to be explained, you would not understand.
I have no idea why some people do the things they do, all I know is I've been
riding (my own) bike since 1970 or so. Although I don't have one now, I'd like
to get one again. I just didn't know I needed to explain it to someone to get a date.

Kevjohns
Msg: 42
Posted: 9/8/2011 11:00:23 AM
Hi welch. I haven't read a ****y post here. Why react so strongly against those against bikes? There are valid reasons to avoid them. So whats the problem.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 43
Posted: 9/8/2011 11:23:06 AM
Hi welch. I haven't read a ****y post here. Why react so strongly against those against bikes? There are valid reasons to avoid them. So whats the problem.

There are also valid reasons to avoid air travel, boating, eating sushi (those nasty little creatures called parasites), and all sorts of other things. Why do people react strongly to this topic? Passions do that to us. I don't really care whether someone is interested in riding or not, however? I know that I don't like being lectured because I REFUSE to be a passenger in states or situations where there are helmet laws. I don't choose to wear one, I don't feel it's appropriate to be told I HAVE to wear one, so when the option is wear one or don't ride? I don't ride. My reaction to that particular lecture is likely as strong as those who opine strongly here about other aspects of riding or not. We all have things that make us grind our teeth. JMO
 Kevjohns
Msg: 44
Posted: 9/8/2011 11:30:15 AM
First of all, no one is lecturing anyone, simply voicing opinions. Second of all, your analogies are not even close. Everything is dangerous of course, but its a question of whether something is UNREASONABLY dangerous. Air travel, boating,eating Sushi is NOT unreasonably dangerous given the benefits received. However, my personal opinion is that riding a Motorbike simply does not provide enough of a thrill to justify the risk involved. Its a balancing act. I am also of an opinion that sooner or later almost everybody is involved in an auto accident of some sort or another. The injuries to the person on a motorcycle, when that day comes, are likely to be much greater than the injuries to a person in a motor vehicle. I know people who have been in comas, had limbs amputated, lost their lives, been paralyzed, all for the thrill of riding a motorbike. I'm not saying don't do it. I simply saying to ME its an unreasonable risk. BUT, I do think anybody who rides a bike without a good quality helmet is simply spitting in the eye of lady luck. Again, its an individual choice. Me, I much prefer driving a sporty BMW with my seatbelt on. I do drive too quickly, and take risks I shouldn't. BUT, if I am in an accident, much more chance I will survive intact.
 Kevjohns
Msg: 45
Posted: 9/8/2011 11:43:38 AM
But I suppose the argument in favor is similar to taking drugs. Hey, they make a person feel good. So what if they damage the heart, cause death, whatever. Only nambie pambies avoid Cocain. Good chance you won't be hurt. You just don't know what you are missing until you've tried it.
 Welsh474
Msg: 46
Posted: 9/8/2011 12:13:29 PM
"Why react so strongly against those against bikes?" I haven't really - what I did say was if you like to ride, want to ride - then ride. If you don't like to ride, don't want to ride - then don't ride. What I don't need is all the b.s. about how dangerous they are, how much safer it is in a car, snow skiing, skidooing, hiking, etc. Stay home a friggin quilt for all I care - I'll tell you this, I won't be bytching about you quilting.

The OP asked a question regarding women and motorcycles. I answered and then some posters, like you, come on and ramble on and on about the dangers, being organ donors, etc. I've been riding for 25 years, I've heard the b.s. and it still comes down to - you ride or you don't ride. So stick to your so-called non dangerous activities, like snow skiing, etc. (all of which have fatalities every season) and I'll stick to my dangerous activity. I answered the OP's question. So what's the problem, did you answer the OP's question - nope, not at all, you just chirped in with your own little opinion which really had no relevance to the OP's question. But you do have a way of leading the threads away from the topic and making it all about you and your wonderful thoughts and opinions. Seems to me you don't know Jack about this topic, you're not a women who has "motorcycles" on your profile.
 Kevjohns
Msg: 47
Posted: 9/8/2011 12:51:09 PM
The topic is essentially do ladies like to ride motorcycles. I think most don't, as the OP said, and I am giving the reason why. Ladies are far more practical when it comes to their own safety than guys. . far more risk averse. Its like when we all go skiing. In skiing, we guys go to the top of the bowls and race each other down. The women stick with the blues or the easy blacks and break early for lunch. The great majority of them are not barreling down a mountain at breakneck speed.

So why all the hostility because I gave an opinion?

you don't know Jack about this topic

Actually I do. I know far more about the consequences of riding motorbikes than probably most people here and I also know many women that try to prevent their husbands from riding motorbikes themselves. Most guys though who ride continue to ride because they are willing to take the risk.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 48
Posted: 9/8/2011 12:53:23 PM

But I suppose the argument in favor is similar to taking drugs. Hey, they make a person feel good. So what if they damage the heart, cause death, whatever. Only nambie pambies avoid Cocain. Good chance you won't be hurt. You just don't know what you are missing until you've tried it.

OY VEY! You complain about some reacting strongly and then you post something as ridiculous as this? Do you see the irony here?

And in agreement with another poster ~ most of us know the organ donor stories, we know stories of death on bikes, we've likely most all had personal loss stories of some sort, so you are doing nothing more than preaching to the choir.

~OT~ I only know that for me personally? I'd much rather be on the back of a bike than in a golf cart, in a boat, or in a fast car. Now if the option were air travel or riding? Well, I'd air travel to ride ~ otherwise? I'd likely take riding and leave the travel to someone else. To each their own.
 Welsh474
Msg: 49
Posted: 9/8/2011 2:20:42 PM
The OP asked about women who put "motorcycles" on their profile - he was asking if they ride or ride behind as a passenger or just want a guy with a bike. Pretty easy for most of us women to answer. If you want to go all over the place about death and destruction, people who ride with or without a helmet, how we riders are all organ donors and how you idiot men race at breakneck speed on skis down a mountainside- who cares, I know I don't. "Most guys though who ride continue to ride because they are willing to take the risk", I don't recall the OP asking about guys and taking risks. Again, the OP was asking about women who ride, ride as a passenger or want a guy that rides.

So, you do what you like to do, I'll do what I like to do and the other posters can do what they like to do - just don't dump on me because we don't like doing the same thing.
 TNBinLV
Msg: 50
Posted: 9/8/2011 2:27:17 PM
Personally, I'd rather be with someone who owns and rides her own bike though I understand why some women would rather be passengers. I also understand "riding" can be dangerous, especially since I crashed my first bike at 17-yoa, known people who have been killed on bikes, and actually watched a sport bike get hauled away today at the corner intersection near where I work. Work, where I rode my bike to today. ;)

I've also been in car crashes, known people who have died in car crashes, and have seen cars get hauled away. However, I still drive a car too and have yet to ever meet anyone who has simply quit driving without a fight (this includes a 90-YOA driver as well).

I've also served in the military, am a prior-LEO, did the skiing thing, the parachuting thing, and so on. Whether a job or an adventure, they all had there share of risks like life itself. The thing is that chances were very slim that I was going to get hit by a car despite some high risk adventures.

Many cars of which contain drivers who are smoking, impaired, texting, talking on the cell phone, yelling at their children, eating, playing with their dog, and doing everything but paying attention to what they are driving--a 2-ton dangerous weapon. Then there are those drivers who refuse to remove the handicap placards from their mirrors which obstructs their vision dispite the warnings that is if they even bother to look.

Consequently, it appears that "Car Drivers" are actually the ones who pose a greater danger though they can take out a motorcycle and simply drive off into the sunset. Fault should be placed where it belongs. In my opinion, everyone should take courses like driver's education, defensive driving, emergency vehicle operations, and a motorcycle safety course. Then more people would learn and realize how much of a hazzard they themselves are on the road.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > (Older) women and motorcycles? That many, really?