Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > (Older) women and motorcycles? That many, really?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Randal5
Msg: 51
(Older) women and motorcycles? That many, really?Page 3 of 19    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19)
It is always a turn off for me when a woman list mototcycle riding as an interest and even more so when they post those ridiculous photos of them on a bike. The only thing worse is the other half say they are into sailing. Really?The bike girls think they are daring and the sailing gals think they are sophisticated. I have owned two bikes and was in minor wrecks on both (not my fault, cars pulling out in front because they didn't see me). Bikes are very dangerous and if you are willing to take the risk that is up to each individual. I told my son that I would never purchase a bike for him to ride and would never support or approve of his purchase ( not wanting to have regrets about a bad decision). Like everyone else, just my opinion. I sincerely hope that ever person reading that rides the best of luck.
 TNBinLV
Msg: 52
(Older) women and motorcycles? That many, really?
Posted: 9/8/2011 2:58:09 PM
I guess it's relative on what you mean by bikes being "very dangerous". The same thing can be said about firearms. However, in my opinion it's usually the "operators" who are dangerous--what's that saying, it's not guns that kill people but people who kill people. Overall, I'd say there are a far greater number of dangerous automobile operators than motorcycle riders. The last I knew statistics showed the same thing as far as "fault" is concerned.

For those who ride, ride safe. For those who drive, pay attention! That goes for the taxi cab drivers too.
 Randal5
Msg: 53
Posted: 9/8/2011 3:23:16 PM
This was stated in an earlier post. When you hit something while riding a bike there is very little to protect the operator from serious injury. I have not heard of an air bag for motorcycles. I was injured in both accidents I was involved in on a bike. I would have walked away scratch free if I had been operating a car. It's a risk lot's of people take to enjoy motorcycles, just don't rationalize that it's not risky behavior.
 TNBinLV
Msg: 54
Posted: 9/8/2011 4:23:36 PM
Personally, I don't know if your accidents involved an automobile or not though I agree motorcycles have less protection than automobiles. However, I've also seen "track" motorcycle racers walk away from a crash because of full leathers and a car NOT being involved. At the same time, there are those fatalities where people have been thrown from out the back of a pick-up truck and died. The "stupid" factor usually comes into play.

Other than in racing, I've also encountered very few motorcyclists who have been seriously injured unless an automobile was also involved. Hence, remove the automobile factor (and the stupid factor). After all, people do get killed in cars and people have even been killed by cars walking across the street or even waiting for a bus at a bus stop (at least around here).

Life is "risky", but like most I don't choose to live in a bubble and personally, I don't want a partner who is afraid to venture out of her own bubble. If I did, I wouldn't bother to be on this website or have ever entered into any type of relationships since they "all" involve some risk.

Life is want you want to make out of it. Those who want to stick to a "cage", should stick to a cage. However, it also doesn't mean that just because they drive a "cage" they should drive with their head in the sand.
 TNBinLV
Msg: 55
Posted: 9/8/2011 4:27:27 PM
....Hee, hee. You did mention something about "cars" pulling out in front of you. My point about "cars" and automobile drivers not paying attention. ;)
 Kevjohns
Msg: 56
Posted: 9/8/2011 5:59:07 PM
[stick to a cage]

That is an interesting concept. You mean because you are willing to ride a motorcycle on a regular basis, that makes you a risk taker? LOL. Let me tell you what a real risk taker is. Its a person who gives up a SECURE and WELL PAYING job to go into business for him/her self when he has a young wife and will soon have children on the way. Its a person who is willing to stand up for what he believes and not succumb to those who try to tell him how he should think, how he should act, what he should be. Its a person who, as Frank Sinatra might say, who needs to "be me", is him/her self instead of playing the game that society demands of him. There is nothing special about people who ride motorcycles. There are a lot more fun things to do than riding motorcycles. There is of course nothing wrong with riding motorcycles. It is a way to network with people who enjoy riding motorcyles. Great way to make friends and travel the highways and byways of America. But hey, Easy Rider was only a MOVIE. Motorcycle riders are not free spirits. They are just like everybody else.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 57
Posted: 9/8/2011 6:10:21 PM

That is an interesting concept. You mean because you are willing to ride a motorcycle on a regular basis, that makes you a risk taker? LOL.

Well? What side of the fence are you on?

The topic is essentially do ladies like to ride motorcycles. I think most don't, as the OP said, and I am giving the reason why. Ladies are far more practical when it comes to their own safety than guys. . far more risk averse. Its like when we all go skiing. In skiing, we guys go to the top of the bowls and race each other down. The women stick with the blues or the easy blacks and break early for lunch. The great majority of them are not barreling down a mountain at breakneck speed.
So why all the hostility because I gave an opinion?

you don't know Jack about this topic

Actually I do. I know far more about the consequences of riding motorbikes than probably most people here and I also know many women that try to prevent their husbands from riding motorbikes themselves. Most guys though who ride continue to ride because they are willing to take the risk.

You clearly feel it's risky behavior ~ so wouldn't that make the riders "risk takers"???

Let me tell you what a real risk taker is. Its a person who gives up a SECURE and WELL PAYING job to go into business for him/her self when he has a young wife and will soon have children on the way. Its a person who is willing to stand up for what he believes and not succumb to those who try to tell him how he should think, how he should act, what he should be. Its a person who, as Frank Sinatra might say, who needs to "be me", is him/her self instead of playing the game that society demands of him.

So in essence? You are clearly stating that those here who are "standing up" for their opinion on riding vs. succumbing to YOUR way of thought, are risk takers. Interesting.

There is nothing special about people who ride motorcycles.

There's something special about every single person alive today.

There are a lot more fun things to do than riding motorcycles.

Maybe TO YOU this is true. There are many people who would disagree with you.

There is of course nothing wrong with riding motorcycles. It is a way to network with people who enjoy riding motorcyles. Great way to make friends and travel the highways and byways of America. But hey, Easy Rider was only a MOVIE. Motorcycle riders are not free spirits. They are just like everybody else.

The more you type? The more it appears you may be jealous of those who ride. I don't know why that would be ~ nor does it affect/effect anyone here. But it is quite curious. JMO
 Kevjohns
Msg: 58
Posted: 9/8/2011 7:13:50 PM
Forgive me for not playing your semantic games here. Its too late in the evening to do so.

But I did want to mention something about this comment:

There's something special about every single person alive today.

Actually, there’s not anything all that special about most people. We are all special of course in that our lives are our entire worlds to ourselves, and we are hopefully special to our families. But few people stand out as really special when compared to the world at large. Which is why there is such a leadership vacuum out there right now. Nobody with any true leadership ability has come forward to save our country. No George Washingtons, Abe Lincolns, FDRs to save us from ourselves. We have some wonderfully creative business minds, Steve Jobs comes to mind, a few great scientists, a few great actors and singers. But most of us just are. And that is certainly true among our current crop of political leaders.
 Dare to
Msg: 59
Posted: 9/8/2011 7:37:43 PM

When you hit something while riding a bike there is very little to protect the operator from serious injury. I have not heard of an air bag for motorcycles
You could say the same thing about bicycles... But plenty ride them without similar fears..

Seems like some others just like to see themseves in print and argue for the sake of arguing. We are not chastising you for your choice in hobbies so why slam us for ours? We enjoy riding motorcycles, we are not children that need to be informed of the dangers... If you people don't like motorcycles...Fine, just don't mix with those of us who do, but don't treat us like children who need lecturing about the safety issues surrounding them...
 TNBinLV
Msg: 60
Posted: 9/8/2011 9:51:47 PM

You mean because you are willing to ride a motorcycle on a regular basis, that makes you a risk taker? LOL.

That's not what I wrote is it? However, those afraid to ride may just see it that way.

Let me tell you what a real risk taker is. Its a person who gives up a SECURE and WELL PAYING job to go into business for him/her self when he has a young wife and will soon have children on the way.

Perhaps, in your opinion. However, there must have been driving forces for that person to give up that secure and well paying job. For that matter, it could simply be the fear of standing up for oneself in the work place or the need for a change in pace. I've personally known quite a few people who left the military/government sector to enter the civilian sector for one reason or another. Many people also change careers several times in their life--note I wrote "careers", not jobs.

Its a person who is willing to stand up for what he believes and not succumb to those who try to tell him how he should think, how he should act, what he should be.

Like you are doing behind a keyboard?????

There are a lot more fun things to do than riding motorcycles.

No shit? It's a good thing you told me since apparently you've stereotype people who ride as not having a life despite the fact there are many professionals who ride as well. Think about it... Many like myself own at least one vehicle in addition to a motorcycle.

There is of course nothing wrong with riding motorcycles. It is a way to network with people who enjoy riding motorcyles. Great way to make friends and travel the highways and byways of America. But hey, Easy Rider was only a MOVIE. Motorcycle riders are not free spirits. They are just like everybody else.

Thanks for the news flash. Here's another, you really like to stereotype people or is it just trolling?

Well? What side of the fence are you on?
Forgive me for not playing your semantic games here. Its too late in the evening to do so.
But I did want to mention something

So late that you wrote so much more than just answering the other forum members question. After reading your posts, I also tend to agree with the other forum member in that it does aappear that you are jealous of those who ride. Of course, the alternative is that you are just a troll.
 wildman_1966
Msg: 61
Posted: 9/8/2011 11:03:45 PM
I've noticed the motorcycles on many women's profiles in Ohio. I also notice that many women just seem to love to go camping. Nothing wrong with either activity but I don't know many women personally who like either activity, but on POF it's everywhere.

Just an observation.
 Kevjohns
Msg: 62
Posted: 9/9/2011 6:32:29 AM
TNB, I'm not sure why you are making so much of this. I know lots of people who ride motor cycles. I also know lots of people, because of my profession, who have been seriously injured riding motorcycles. They always tend to be the worst injuries on the car accident scene. I am not stereotyping anyone or thing here. I simply am stating that motorcycles ARE dangerous and from my observation, more women are risk averse and thus don't ride than are men, and that riding a motorcycle is dangerous BECAUSE drivers of automobiles tend not to see you and you are at their mercy. But I have done all kinds of crazy things myself. I am not making a judgment about people who ride. Everybody has to decide for themselves how they want to live their lives. I simply enjoy my life and my physicality too much to risk it riding a motorbike. I've ridden them and found I don't enjoy them because I think too much of being hit from behind, or somebody making a left turn in front of me and my losing control of the bike, or somebody coming around a curve too wide. That's me. On the other hand, I have sped down mountains going much faster than I should have on both bicycles and skis, so I get how speed and thrills sometimes override good common sense. TOO EACH THEIR OWN.

And by the way, I recently lost two good friends on motorbikes..both of these guys were daredevils. One a great athlete from my high school. Another, a firefighting friend of mine who always lived life on the edge. When he failed to negotiate a curve and ran into a bunch of trees killing himself, I was not the least surprised.

Not long ago, I was driving my BMW on a central florida rural highway, and going twice the speed I should have been. I was pretending I was on a mountain road. I must have missed a sign because I noticed too late up ahead a 90 degree intersection turn with a forest of trees in front of me. If I were on a bike I would have been dead. I slammed on the brakes, the antilocking breaking system took over, turned the wheel hard to the right, and the anti-skidding computer took over, and managed to stop the car without hitting anything. I am one of those people who likely would kill myself if I were on a bike. So not riding is self prservation for me. OKAY???
 Welsh474
Msg: 63
Posted: 9/9/2011 8:06:33 AM
It's idiot drivers like you that kill and injure my friends on motorcyles - "...going twice the speed I should have been." Do us a favour and take the bus.
 Kevjohns
Msg: 64
Posted: 9/9/2011 9:44:47 AM

It's idiot drivers like you that kill and injure my friends on motorcyles - "...going twice the speed I should have been." Do us a favour and take the bus.

BINGO, exactly my point. You have crazy drivers like me around, you don't want to be riding a motorcycle anywhere near us.
 TNBinLV
Msg: 65
Posted: 9/9/2011 9:53:12 AM

BINGO, exactly my point. You have crazy drivers like me around, you don't want to be riding a motorcycle anywhere near us.

Wow, that just goes back to my original post.

Many cars of which contain drivers who are smoking, impaired, texting, talking on the cell phone, yelling at their children, eating, playing with their dog, and doing everything but paying attention to what they are driving--a 2-ton dangerous weapon. Then there are those drivers who refuse to remove the handicap placards from their mirrors which obstructs their vision dispite the warnings that is if they even bother to look.

Consequently, it appears that "Car Drivers" are actually the ones who pose a greater danger though they can take out a motorcycle and simply drive off into the sunset. Fault should be placed where it belongs. In my opinion, everyone should take courses like driver's education, defensive driving, emergency vehicle operations, and a motorcycle safety course. Then more people would learn and realize how much of a hazzard they themselves are on the road.
 Kevjohns
Msg: 66
Posted: 9/9/2011 10:09:47 AM
Agree a thousand percent TNB, especially about the part being where fault should be placed where it belongs, just as often on the car as on the motorbike. I have actually heard people blaming the motorbike rider for failing to have a helmet and thus at fault for their own injuries. Just keep in mind that we live in a society where people usually will not accept responsibility or accountability for their own wrongs. So even when the car driver was at fault, do not be surprised when the motorcyclist is blamed. And it is almost always the motorcyclist with the bad injuries. And in the end, it is still the motocyclist who will need to deal with those what may be life long injuries. The car driver will, as you say, simply drive off into the sunset.
 Randal5
Msg: 67
Posted: 9/9/2011 11:47:26 AM
Motorcycle Crash Facts
Motorcyclist Fatalities Increase
•Motorcycles are the most dangerous type of motor vehicle to drive. These vehicles are involved in fatal crashes at a rate of 35.0 per 100 million miles of travel, compared with a rate of 1.7 per 100 million miles of travel for passenger cars.
•Motorcyclists were 35 times more likely than passenger car occupants to die in a crash in 2006, per vehicle mile traveled, and 8 times more likely to be injured.
•Although motorcycles account for only 2% of vehicles on the road, they make up more than 10% of all crashes.
•Motorcycles accounted for nearly 3% of all registered motor vehicles and 0.4% of vehicle miles traveled in 2006.
•Motorcycle fatalities have more than doubled in 10 years to 4,810 in 2006. Helmets saved the lives of 1,658 motorcyclists in 2006—and could have saved an additional 752 lives if all riders had worn helmets compliant with federal safety standards.
•Some 104,000 motorcycles were involved in crashes in 2006, including property damage-only crashes.
•Approximately 80% of motorcycle crashes injure or kill a motorcycle rider, while only 20% of passenger car crashes injure or kill a driver or passenger in their vehicle.
•In 2006, 37% of all motorcyclists involved in fatal crashes were speeding, compared to 23% for passenger car drivers, 19% for light-truck drivers, and 8% for large-truck drivers
 TNBinLV
Msg: 68
Posted: 9/9/2011 12:21:54 PM
Without even knowing were you obtained the crash facts, there is probably very little doubt by anyone who has posted that someone injured in a typical motorcycle crash will occur greater injuries than someone in an automobile since a motorcycle rider is not surrounded by a cage. It also doesn't mean that automobiles should all require a 5 or 6 point roll bar/cage to prevent further injury to an automobile driver.

What's the reason for the increase???
-More SUVs on the road?
-More new motorcyclists on the road as gas prices increased?
Of course, "car" drivers can "hit and run" something or someone a lot easier than a motorcycle rider can. Consequently, the automobile accident never gets reported. It also doesn't mean that "everyone" should be forced to live by someone else's "bubble" standard.

Since you are into stats, here's a couple of government links to more recent sets of stats (1980-2008) with a greater breakdown. These stats break down passenger cars, light trucks, large trucks, buses, etc. Even "pedestrians" are listed.

http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2011/tables/11s1102.pdf
http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2011/tables/11s1106.pdf

Long live "freedom of choice" and the "freedom to ride", espeically since I don't want to have to own and drive the same vehicle as everyone else on the street!
 purrfectlady58
Msg: 69
Posted: 9/9/2011 1:03:29 PM
Well I am 53 yo and Ive been riding my own bike for about 11 years now. i know that for me....meeting someone that also rides would be a great benefit for me. I also enjoy being a passenger. So when I say I like motorcycles...I mean it...:)
 HappyRocker
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 9/10/2011 4:04:11 PM

smokincigars: Does nearly every woman over age 45 really love motorcycles?

Well, it's probably not as specific as "Motorcycles" ... many women in their "maturing years" have spent their lives ... well .... being "Mature." Therefore they feel (rightly so) that they have missed out on some excitement. Also, their sense of mortality is increased by the approaching loss of breeding ability. Women want some adventure and they are less physically able (as are men at that age) to do things like climb cliffs and things of that nature. Meanwhile their male counterparts have spent lives rolling cars, riding bikes, getting drunk and generally doing everything my sisters would be frowned on for doing ... whoops! Sorry .... I mean, you guys have been doing stuff that young women would be ostracized for doing. Now that women's children are basically self-sufficient, women want a piece of the action.

One motorcycle ride would normally be all that it would take, after all, there are a lot of extra clothes and a helmet that you have to wear. And a helmet messes up hair and make-up. But then women discover what men have known since puberty. Excitement and near death experiences make you feel more alive than you have ever felt before. And adrenalin is a potent aphrodisiac.

If all of this is combined with the right rider then great exhilleration, great sex and a healthy outdoor experience can be had by all. Which is why Harley Davidsons or at least Cruisers are the bike of choice. No woman wants to be on the back of a GP racer as the idiot in front tries to prove that he can get it up to Warp 5 through town ... That is taking facing down The Grim Reaper too far.

Any fair maiden wishing to tour Australia on a Black and Silver Cruiser should apply below .... and in answer to your question before you ask it - No ... I have no shame.
 WalksOnWater2
Msg: 71
Posted: 9/11/2011 12:04:36 AM
Wow, lots of interesting opinions from people with motorcycles and even more so from those without...
I am one of these "old women with motorcycles", but I grew up with them, it didn't hit me on the head the day I got my AARP card. As a matter of fact, motorcycles were my only transportation from age 16 until I was 24. Then I got a car, but I had always a motorcycle on the side, and each was bigger and prettier than the last one. It sort of grows on you, you know? The reason I survived over the years (while I know many who didn't) is that I developed 'motorcycle vision', which is a 360 degrees field of awareness of what goes on around you anytime you are on the saddle. I doubt if that can happen overnite, if you take up the 'hobby' at an older age, and you ride about 10 days a year, and all involve six beer stops per ride.
You'll never catch me on the passenger seat on a motorcycle. It is MUCH more scary that the passenger seat of a car.

PittsburghVixen
Msg: 72
Posted: 9/11/2011 7:10:59 PM
I do love bikes. Don't have any right now, because of the budget and time factors, but hope to own one again in the next couple of years. I would rather ride my own than ride pillion with a guy unless I know he is a safety freak like me. Riding behind my late husband was so much fun and we did cross-country trips together (can you say "iron butt"?) but I also like being the pilot.

So for me it's not a requirement that a guy be a biker...but if he's not, and I get another ride in the future...he'd better not try to shut me down.
 razzamatazzamaman
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2011 10:42:42 PM
I do like the growing number of lady riders on the road.

Male or female does not matter, its that you like to ride. Or not. Whatever the reasons.
An individual choice thing. Simply put - Either you like cabbage, or you don't!

Me - riding all my life, can't imagine my life without a bike..... But thats just my choice in the matter.

What does matter to me is that we all get, and continue to have, the choice.
 KAT4EVR
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2011 3:37:38 PM
Wow, did many of you actually read the subject matter for this forum? Way off the subject, he was asking if older women over 45 really love motorcycles. Then a bunch of people jump on the "it is dangerous" speeches.
I have it on my profile because I am seeking a man who also rides his own bike, so we can ride to destinations together and grow closer and have at least one thing in common.
There are MANY women who ride their own where I live and near by states.
We are not asking for anyone's approval. I earned my M on my license and am proud of it. More deaths near where I live have been kids under 27 who die in car or truck crashes and who are ejected because they do not wear seat belts- a state law.
In one month we had over 6 killed in separate accidents, speed and back roads the contributing factors plus their age and not being cautious.
If you don't like bikers, then do not contact those of us who are, it is that simple. I don't preach to snowmobilers, off-roaders, or parachutists even though I don't do any of those activities. To each her or his own.
I am over 45 and proud of my accomplishments in life and love to ride my bike to and from work and on long trips. Most hotels and motels welcome us and help us find places to eat and visit while in their towns. They know we spend money when we travel.
JMO
 Randal5
Msg: 75
Posted: 9/14/2011 11:08:08 AM
Ok, there appears to be no way to really answer the original posting. First, what % of women over 45 , posting on dating sites, actually say they love motorcycles? If anyone knew the answer to the first question then is there anyway to know how many have ever rode, operated or owned a motorcycle. I don't have any answers. I just know that I rarely encounter women over 45 driving motorcycles. Having said that I do have a friend in a motorcycling club and I know that they do take group trips with their wives.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > (Older) women and motorcycles? That many, really?