Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > (Older) women and motorcycles? That many, really?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 TNBinLV
Msg: 76
(Older) women and motorcycles? That many, really?Page 4 of 19    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19)
There is a "biker" site where non-bikers can sign up. They simply list their age and whether or not they own a bike or not. If they don't own a bike, they can get together with someone who owns a bike as a passenger.

Of course, I know a few women who would laugh at any guy who wanted to ride as a passenger on their bike. I also know numerous women who own their own motorcycles, yet prefer to be a passenger on a bike. I know this for a fact since I have seen their bikes at times in riders groups (to be distinguished from MCs which may not allow women to be full members) or at events. Some women, I think, would just rather relax and sleep on the back of a bike than take responsibility as a designated rider. I only mention this since I've heard numerous males either complaining about women sleeping on the back of the bike or talking about using bungie cords to tie them in.

Here, in this so-called big city during the poker runs and rallies is when I usually see how many women ride their own bikes. At times, I've also encountered a few women at the dealership who have rode in. I also know a few women who work at dealerships who either already own bikes and/or just took the rider's course in anticipation of purchasing their own bikes. Of course, the number of men always appears to be greater in number. This was also no different from when I used to ride dirt bikes in my teens.

Personally, I don't care about the percentage of women who ride their own bikes over 45. I just know that if a woman claims to own a bike and I mention a "bike" date, she'll probably show up if she owns a bike. And if she doesn't show up with a bike, I'll already wonder how much bull she has already poored on. In fact, I used to have something in my profile regarding a first date depending on if one owns a either a motorcyle or a dSLR. The dSLR comment distinguished the hobbiest photographers with the small point and shoot cameras from the ones who are more serious about photography.

And recently, I also received an email from someone informing me that she owned her own bike though I didn't see it on her profile. In response, I mentioned a poker run that is taking place this coming Saturday. ;) I also went on a run last week and there is another in two weeks.
 dwarlord
Msg: 77
(Older) women and motorcycles? That many, really?
Posted: 9/14/2011 4:15:07 PM
Believe it or not there are alot of women riding bikes in todays times. This I know for a fact lol.

There are also womens motorcycle clubs(a few in Alabama). And some prefer crotch rockets for speed also. Nothing like a sexy woman hopping off a bike and taking her helmet off to let her long beautiful hair fall from under it.

I do enjoy my job lol.
 SthrnButtrfly
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2011 8:01:08 PM
I grew up racing dirt bikes in the 70s, been around big bikes on and off all my life. Even owned my own for awhile in the 90s. Due to finances, etc, I dont have one today but I am always a willing participant when it comes to climbing on the back of a bike and going for a ride!!! Nothing like the wind, the freedom, the power of an iron horse between your legs and a strong man to hang on to as you journey to parts unknown. I will own another bike again someday, but until then, if and when the opportunity arises, I am open for rides guys!!!
 TNBinLV
Msg: 79
Posted: 9/15/2011 1:39:41 PM

Riding pillion is a skill in in itself xx

I wouldn't know, but I did just have the stock passenger pillion redone and had some extra padding added to it for a little more comfort. ;)
 KAT4EVR
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 9/20/2011 4:24:43 PM
[Well, it's probably not as specific as "Motorcycles" ... many women in their "maturing years" have spent their lives ... well .... being "Mature." Therefore they feel (rightly so) that they have missed out on some excitement. Also, their sense of mortality is increased by the approaching loss of breeding ability. Women want some adventure and they are less physically able (as are men at that age) to do things like climb cliffs and things of that nature. ]
Are you kidding me? I did not know that I got my first bike at age 40 that it was from a sense of mortality because I was experiencing a breeding loss. What? Less physically able to do things? I admire you for attempting to address the reason we women ride over the age of 45 but that probably is not the reason. Riding a horse bareback as a kid and galloping her in the fields was exciting. Falling off said horse at a gallop was a rush, too. Never broke a bone in my body, just dusted myself off and got back on as she stood there munching grass like nothing happened.
Most of the women I have met since I started riding my own bike have a different reason for riding. Not all have put the bikes away during their child bearing years, either. So, with that said, we all have our own reasons for riding our bikes, scooters, cruisers, sport bikes, dirt bikes or even race cars. By the way, I do my own roofing on my house, shingles and the roof felt up and down ladders. I also lift sheets of 3/4 inch plywood and 1/2 drywall with ease. I do weight lift some still but not as much as when I was in my 30s and 40s. I don't want to be overly muscular anymore. My sisters in the wind all love to ride for whatever reason, I applaud all of them.
 itsaboutyouandme
Msg: 81
Posted: 9/21/2011 1:37:27 PM
I love riding my Harley and have been riding since I was 17 y.o. and yes lot of my friends have been hurt but a lot of people sky dive and jet ski and do other adventurous things so each of us does what we enjoy. I like to have something in common with a person so that is why I post I like to ride my motorcycle since it's a big part of my life. :.)
 TNBinLV
Msg: 82
Posted: 9/21/2011 3:06:58 PM
I love riding my Harley and have been riding since I was 17 y.o. and yes lot of my friends have been hurt but a lot of people sky dive and jet ski and do other adventurous things so each of us does what we enjoy. I like to have something in common with a person so that is why I post I like to ride my motorcycle since it's a big part of my life. :.)

I like your Fatboy Lo too, especially since I also own a Fatboy Lo though I've made quite a few mods. Ride safe. ;)
 valenciacityx
Msg: 83
Posted: 9/22/2011 3:02:07 PM
Sold Harleys for years. 1/3 of my customers were women riders.
You would be foolish to ignore their market
Besides when girls go out to ride, the always send me back the best pictures and outta the way travel trip tips
Only thing hotter than a girl that can get a bike down the road ?
One that can work it around the track ;)
 shezabritelite
Msg: 84
Posted: 9/28/2011 1:08:06 PM
Really!

I got my license in 2001 along with a street bike and a dirt bike. I don't like riding on the street so much any more just because people in cars are too busy not driving and the roads are in poor condition. I do however, love my dirt bike and look forward to riding that more as the weather cools.

It hasn't had any effect on my datablity. Most guys I've dated in past several years did not ride motorcycles.

I'm not one for riding on the back either. Prefer to ride my own bike.
 GrandmaBooBoo
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 9/28/2011 2:16:00 PM

FWIW, I am a rider myself, though temporarily between bikes. I seldom see a lot of women on motorcycles around here, even fewer riding their own bikes. I'd be happy to give a lady a ride anytime, or ride along on separate bikes; I just haven't met and don't see a lot of women who have actually spent much time riding.

I don't think I have a "love of motorcycles" in my profile...and I know that I would necessarily specific Harley's even if I do.....HOWEVER...and I kinda fail to see why you specified (Older) women.....BUT, last time I looked.....I'm still a WOMAN...and I HAVE RIDDEN....MY OWN motorcycle....since 1982. That's coming up on 30 years. Ohhhh, and I also smoke cigars LOL! Ohhhh OK...just those little wimpy ones...Swisher Sweet Cherry Tiparillos...yummy!

Maybe you just aren't looking in the right places.
 dawnsky57
Msg: 86
Posted: 9/28/2011 5:57:37 PM
I have no desire to ride a road bike, I've ridden 4 wheelers, dirt bikes etc, being a country girl, but I'm not interested in riding any kind of bike on the road, had too many friends killed or maimed.

I know lots of bikers, I love them all and I know they love to ride their bikes, but I'll just wave from the driveway!!
 JimiHendrinks57
Msg: 87
Posted: 9/29/2011 7:53:44 PM
Crotch Rocket
Having a man between their legs that they can turn on or off anytime they want.
Put away in the the garage for a later date.
Impress their friends with.
Freedom to go anywhere anytime.
 Paderic
Msg: 88
Posted: 9/30/2011 9:41:48 AM
I find more profiles where women say they hate bikes than say they love them.

As for Harleys, too heavy for my taste. And I don't really care to ride two up.
 harleybbw
Msg: 89
Posted: 9/30/2011 1:38:56 PM
Hey I am a 30 yr vetran woman riding my own motorcycle. I am not a wanna be, Not going thru a midlife crisis, and not trying to impress. I have always loved this sport and do it for myself. Extremely uncommon when I started years ago. I do ride a HD presently. I am from Port Dover and see lots of ladies riding. I would love to find a man to share this passion to ride beside along the road of life. Come check my profile out drop me a line if you like! Take care and be safe!
 HappyRocker
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 10/1/2011 9:06:42 AM

KAT4EVR on 9/21/2011 1243 AM:Are you kidding me? I did not know that I got my first bike at age 40 that it was from a sense of mortality because I was experiencing a breeding loss. What? Less physically able to do things? I admire you for attempting to address the reason we women ride over the age of 45 but that probably is not the reason. Riding a horse bareback as a kid and galloping her in the fields was exciting. Falling off said horse at a gallop was a rush, too. Never broke a bone in my body, just dusted myself off and got back on as she stood there munching grass like nothing happened.
Most of the women I have met since I started riding my own bike have a different reason for riding. Not all have put the bikes away during their child bearing years, either. So, with that said, we all have our own reasons for riding our bikes, scooters, cruisers, sport bikes, dirt bikes or even race cars. By the way, I do my own roofing on my house, shingles and the roof felt up and down ladders. I also lift sheets of 3/4 inch plywood and 1/2 drywall with ease. I do weight lift some still but not as much as when I was in my 30s and 40s. I don't want to be overly muscular anymore. My sisters in the wind all love to ride for whatever reason, I applaud all of them.

Quite right, you are addressing the question from the view pointof women who own and ride their own bikes.

I was addressing question from my experience of women who have never owned their own bike, never had an interest in motorbikes and suddenly in mature years have a desire to ride as pillion. Some want to go sky diving instead ... or as well. As I said, there is no more powerful aphrodisiac than adrenaline.

I mean no critisism ... just explaining the possible psychology behind it.
 harleybbw
Msg: 91
Posted: 10/2/2011 8:00:44 AM
In my case it is called FREEDOM and being in touch with nature. I too had a horse since I was 12 and up and I loved that animal. Motorcycle are just a little bit cheaper and easier to care for than a horse. I have met a few women who rode bikes in world war II time.
 MACALA
Msg: 92
Posted: 10/3/2011 3:43:59 AM

Nope, I have no desire in any bone in my body to ride on a motorcycle. Nor do I wish to date a guy who rides a motorcycle. I work in the medical field, I've seen first hand what happens to people who ride motorcycles.

I had many female friends who loved to date guys with bikes when I was living in Florida. I thought they were nuts.
Following this logic is akin to "Everyone whom eats carrots, dies." I guess that means, don't eat carrots...
 donniart
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2011 11:41:21 AM
Visit the Northwest--women both ride on and ride their own Harleys. A motorcycle isn't a prerequisite for me, but I believe to some women it is a visual and a status.
 Soulfulnesss
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2011 5:42:49 PM
I like what you said about HD boring you. As a mechanical engineer I can honestly say that in the world of machines, Harley Davidson is a mistake that got worse with time and countless band aids. No one emulates this engine design because it is designed to fail.

BMW, on the other hand is a work of art in the world of machines. It is engineered from the ground up to work well and long and unlike HD, it is designed to maintained by the owner not an expensive specialized mechanic.

It is an old argument that Harley guys always lose when they are broken down on the side of the road...yet again.

An old airhead can easily go 300,000 miles before rebuild with proper care, HD which akins itself to the zippo lighter for longevity, is lucky if it reaches 75,000 miles before a complete rebuild. While the Harley motor has to be torn down and removed from the frame, the BMW recieves new piston sleeves, pistons and rings, a quick valve job and its back on the road in 4-6 hours. The Harley will be down for 4-6 days...

My 2 cents and some spare change...
 smokincigars
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Posted: 10/12/2011 9:44:39 AM

I like what you said about HD boring you. As a mechanical engineer I can honestly say that in the world of machines, Harley Davidson is a mistake that got worse with time and countless band aids. No one emulates this engine design because it is designed to fail.

Cometomyworld, I have to disagree with you a bit even though I'm not a Harley fanatic. The HD Big Twin engine isn't the most reliable motorcycle powerplant ever, but it began with a good basic design that has been improved considerably in recent years. To insert a bit of on-topic content here, the older Big Twins had a back-and-forth vibration that some women found quite erotic.

And if memory serves, Honda did try to emulate both the sound and the vibration of the Harley Big Twin at one time, and got sued.

My favorite motorcycle engine is the VT1100 that powered my old Honda Shadow Spirit. Water-cooled, hydraulic valve lifters, smooth-running and peppy, it never gave me the first bit of trouble and is probably still running well for the bike's current owner. (The shat drive was also almost maintenance-free, just check the grease occasionally.) I like Beemers too, of course, for their legendary reliability as well as the style of the bikes in general.

As this thread's OP I'm very happy to learn that so many 45+ women enjoy riding and often have their own bikes; when I began this thread I was concerned that "love motorcycles" was just something women said in hopes of sounding more attractive to men. I'm starting to think about getting another bike and looking for a woman who wants to join me on the road. Maybe a Gold Wing this time -- or a BMW tourer. Even a Harley, preferably a newer model that doesn't "mark its territory" as older ones were prone to do. Now, if only I could find an aftermarket gizmo that would add the back-and-forth vibration ...
 TNBinLV
Msg: 96
Posted: 10/12/2011 10:15:05 AM
Now, if only I could find an aftermarket gizmo that would add the back-and-forth vibration ...

There is such a gizmo. A few of my friends who also own Harley-Davidsons have them installed in the passenger pillons/passenger portions of their seats. They can also be operated off of the throttle, i.e. the more throttle, the more vibration.

For those who don't like the typical HD engine, the V-Rod also comes equipped with a water-cooled "Porsche" engine. Personally, I like the sound of the typical HD engine after the stock pipes have been changed out and a HD is just something that I wanted when I was younger. Much like when I was growing up and wanting a Corvette (which I have since purchased and sold). Neither may be as practical as something else, however, sometimes it's not about being practical. It's just about purchasing something because one wants something and can purchase it.

A few people I know also own trikes, including the Honda trike which is very nice as well. Very, very quiet stock if one doesn't like the louder noise. Around here, a Honda trike also doesn't require a motorcycle endorsement and one doesn't have to wear a helmet if one doesn't want to since it is not technically considered a motorcycle. However, an endorsement and helmet are required for something like the CanAm since it still has a single wheel/drivetrain in the rear instead of two wheels.
 attitude17
Msg: 97
Posted: 10/15/2011 4:07:00 AM
I hate referring to myself as an (older woman), but it fits.
I've been riding my own motorcycle (big ones), for almost 20 years.

I dont want to say I only date motorcyclist's, but in reality, that is the only thing that works for me.

I work a full time job, and have a 6 year old grandson during the week. My only time to really get on Sheila is the weekend..

Men that don't ride motorcycles, don't like the fact that I have the need to ride on my downtime..I dont blame them.

Riding, for the true enthusiast, is almost like breathing...Within 5 minutes of being in the wind, I feel the tension ease, I breathe easier, I find myself smiling,and even singing to the music in my head!

I need to do it..Its
not the destination, It is the journey.
 c_deacon
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Posted: 10/16/2011 10:08:39 AM
It is always about the journey, not the destination.............and if you travel on that journey with a motorcycle..........you know the difference!!

cd..................
 Charli2858
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Posted: 10/17/2011 5:34:07 PM
Well riding for me is a link to keeping my sanity, nothing like it. I totally agree with deacon and it is my personal motto. For the record, I drive a BMW cruiser couldn't think of a better bike for me. Been together for 40k miles looking forward to the next 40K. Ride On!
 homosapiengirl
Msg: 100
Posted: 11/10/2011 4:59:51 PM
There are many reasons women my age love motorcycles. For one: I grew up in the Harley Davidson subculture. Two: There's nothing like the smell of leather and fresh air. Three: It makes us feel young and free again. Also, many of us are attracted to the bad-boy image, although that's changed with many types across the board riding now days. I find I have alot in common with most motorcycle lovers and I actually DO love the motorcycles, expecially HD: the sound, vibration, sleek lines, the smell of leather,etc. Many women my age have experience with either driving or riding and it is a comfortable place where I can let my hair down and enjoy myself without worrying about makeup, heels, or my hair.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > (Older) women and motorcycles? That many, really?