Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > "P90X" vs. "Insanity" - Which workout program is more effective?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 whitehennylover
Msg: 26
view profile
History
P90X vs. Insanity - Which workout program is more effective? Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Hpygirl64,

I was looking to reply to this post but I could only find your reply button, lol. That being said, I also have done both and what I found is this. Even though I did P90X first, I had a very poor diet and I still lost 25lbs while doing it, received alot of compliments on my progree and got a lot of my co workers to try it. As for th Insanity, once I got used to the first month, it was time to start the second month. I finished it but, the second month started to bother my knees.

What I also figured out was, Insnaity will get you ready for P90X, BUT P90X won't get you ready for Insanity.

That's my opinion anyway. Since that time I let it all waste away and now I have to start all over. LOL
 Supplysarnt
Msg: 27
P90X vs. Insanity - Which workout program is more effective?
Posted: 11/23/2011 10:10:06 PM
Having used both, I would have to say they both are excellent, one for toning the muscles (P90X) And the other for great cardio for cutting diet (Insanity) I used Insanity for my cutting diet instead of ellipticals and treadmill. I attempted to go 8 weeks straight, but I had to slow it down after 6. I was at single digit BF in 6 weeks. Insanity for cutting is the sh*t
 mdna71
Msg: 28
Posted: 11/30/2011 1:13:06 PM
The Shakeology Chocolate is the best!
 tzup86
Msg: 29
Posted: 12/5/2011 7:53:15 AM
I used to be a Beachbody Coach, and frankly, I didn't like P90X, I felt I got a better workout by going to the gym.

Insanity, and Insanity: The Asylum has become very popular amongst my friends as we play sports often and it definitely helps out with our agility and endurance.

I was in a volleyball league when I started Insanity for the first time, and I saw results instantly on the court.

Now I incorporate the discs from the program into my normal workout regime.

You're the only one who knows your body and what it needs. The thing I like about Insanity is that if you get a group of people on the program and you're doing it together, it can be very rewarding as you learn to motivate each other and yourself.

But in the end, just like any other fitness program, or piece of gym equipment, it's just a tool. The effort that YOU put in is going to be the deciding factor.
 prairiecutie19
Msg: 30
Posted: 4/30/2012 4:10:53 PM
Ive been considering trying P90X. Which of the two have women had the best success rate?
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 31
Posted: 4/30/2012 6:09:06 PM

Which of the two have women had the best success rate?

Depends on what you mean by success and has it been equaled out to account for genetic differences, so pretty much impossible to compare.

Either way a DVD is not going to improve your fitness, only your effort can do that, what you are doing is very much secondary.
 Joezay
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 5/1/2012 6:08:32 PM
I have knee problems and use insanity. I love it because it DOESN'T cause knee problems like it does when I jog. I went from 190 to 167 with little dieting. Then I dropped body fat and kept the same weight, meaning I gained muscle. I read reviews on youtube and people that did both said insanity is tougher. Keep in mind you're getting results using only your body not weights so it must be tougher. That also brings up another pro- you don't need to buy equipment. That's why I was dissapointed in insanity: asylum. You had to buy so much equipment for it. Just be sure you're fit before you get into it. I jogged for two months and still struggled to do the workouts. Still do today
 TrueTo1Man
Msg: 33
Posted: 5/3/2012 5:02:13 PM
I have completed both P90X and InSanity. Both are great programs, however ANY program you do is going to be worth it if you stick with it. BOTTOMLINE dedication and discipline are the key.

P90X combines strength training, cardio, and 1 day of yoga, whereas InSANITY is pure cardio and INSANE. With either you get a great workout.

The absolute key with any program is nutrition. What you put into your body determines AT least 85% of what your body will look like....(minus genetics of course). Question for ya, have you ever seen that person at the gym that is there everyday and puts in hours, but still doesn't look as if he/she works out? That is an indicator his/her nutrition is lacking. You need to make sure you get the right number of calories, fat, carbs, and protein for your particular body, lots of water (I drink a gallon a day), and make sure you eat every 2.5-3 hours.

Hope this helps a little bit.
 windchymes
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2012 6:44:02 PM
I'm not a medal-winning athlete, but plain logic tells me that if you have a wonky knee and one exercise program is hard on knees and the other exercise program is not hard on knees, then you would go with the exercise program that is not hard on knees.

Hopefully that is on-topic enough not to trigger another roid-rage tantrum.
 nv954
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 5/16/2012 11:39:15 AM
Insanity if your looking for more cardio
P90x if your looking for muscle,cardio,flexibility

I'd go with p90x comes with some yoga too..even if you don't want to become bulky it will get you tone and you get that 6 pack
 Blackout478
Msg: 36
Posted: 5/19/2012 3:30:08 AM
I did P90x and it is a good excersize for burning fat. I only did the cardio video tho. I think if you want to lose weight and lose it in right areas P90x is good. Remember dieting is just as important as excersizing.
 OpenHorizons26
Msg: 37
Posted: 5/22/2012 5:02:58 PM
I've done both of the programs and they both produce results. I did the full P90X for the 90 days and it requires more lifting weights so you will build more muscle throughout your entire body. I've been doing insanity for almost 2 months and you will jump around a lot and more so lose fat. If you want to be bulkier, go with P90X. If you want to lose weight, go with Insanity. Both will provide you with a beach body you will be happy with. But, for a smaller guy like me, I prefer P90X because I need the weight lifting.
 RockinRollMan
Msg: 38
Posted: 7/2/2012 6:29:11 PM
Some how I felt like Insanity might be better for me cost wise, and space wise as well, however from what I have gathered from a lot of people, P90X is going suit more to me because I had knee problems in the past and I'd rather not risk aggravating my knees. I was going to a gym for quite some time and working my knees quite a bit to keep them strong, so I don't suffer the pain of even something simple like standing all day at work, so maybe my knees are up to it. My best friends wife did P90X a few years after her son was born and she lost about 25 pounds so I know at least one person who has done it.

I am 6'0 tall and currently weigh 235 pounds, my diet isn't too bad as it's fairly modest and balanced so I get enough fruits and vegetables, plus I consume multivitamins as well to help with digestion and whatnot. My goal is to be down to 200 pounds by September 30th, which is my birthday and I am going to start P90X tomorrow. I have heard some people lost 50 pounds doing the 90 day program, I don't know if I can but if I can lose 35-40 pounds in 90 days I will have accomplished a new years resolution! Maybe getting into shape will catch the attention of some female POF members too!
 kinextions
Msg: 39
Posted: 7/3/2012 9:18:09 AM
My two cents........both will keep you on a specific routine and if you stick to the program and the nutritional advice you will see results. NUTRITION is the KEY to success. You can’t out-exercise bad nutrition.
As for risk vs benefits, both seem too ballistic for the joints. Why does everything have to be so fast? Did anyone ever try slowing down and using the muscle in a controlled manner?
 Pipesteel
Msg: 40
Posted: 7/12/2012 11:43:39 AM
neither, they both shet
 jbball50
Msg: 41
Posted: 7/12/2012 12:04:45 PM
From what I've heard from people that have done both in the past on a forum for fitness/health, I heard you want to do p-90x first then go onto insanity. They said insanity was harder than p-90x. I've only done insanity 2 years ago and it's a pretty good plyo workout. I'm thinking about doing again for a month just to tone up more for my Vegas trip in August.
 MaximaCJohn22
Msg: 42
Posted: 7/15/2012 9:06:59 PM
Both Work Decently..I wouldn't use any of those because I like working out at the gym and using all the machines..the Supreme 90 competes with both as well and its cheaper.
 agarcia361
Msg: 43
Posted: 7/17/2012 6:09:45 PM
I have gone through the Insanity program and i'm am currently on Insanity Asylum. I do own P90X and i have done a few workouts but i have not completed the program yet. Before i purchased any one, i looked at reviews and did my homework to know what i was buying. Insanity Is a heavy cardio program focusing on a lot of big movements, jumping jacks, all sorts of plyo, and yes it is heavy on the knees at times because you do jump a lot, with a lot of running still. Plenty of push ups, ab exercises. But like i said its all stamina, speed and cardio, very little strength training. P90X focuses on a more even ground, it has everything, strength, endurance, cardio and stamina. Both of these programs will shape your body, insanity will do it in 60 and P90X will do it in 90. If you want to just lose a lot of weight and tone up, and you dont mind running a lot and using a lot of your legs then i would recommend insanity. If you want a more balanced workout that will build you up and shape everything i would go with P90X, i feel its a bit easier and you will get good results and its only adding a month.
 RockinRollMan
Msg: 44
Posted: 8/6/2012 12:24:16 PM
Done 30 days of P90X and have lost 10 pounds, put on some muscle as well. It's a good program, repetition in some segments makes it harder but the longer you keep at it, the stronger you will be and the easier it gets. I could hardly do push ups when I started, now I can do the full set requirements. It works for me because it's not overly easy for someone of my fitness level, but it's hard enough that it gives me goals to strive for. Apparently as you get into the 6th week or so you will start to see the results, though I tacked on a week from phase 1 in order to ensure strength and durability in all the core muscles I need.
 92_Dano
Msg: 45
Posted: 8/15/2012 12:02:45 PM
Well as with most of these types of workout or diets, the secret lies in what is called metabolic conditioning. These types of workouts are desgined to get you to a high heartrate and maintain it for a shorter period of time, approximately 35mins or so. After which sense you are burning at such a high rate it will feel as though you have just completed an amazing workout....however the same caloric expenditure can be achieved through timed 400m sprints and in fact doing sprints is a great way to burn calories and see massive muscular gains in the legs and thighs, more on that some other time haha. But as with any sort of diet the most important aspect is your nutrition, fat loss is achieved by a caloric deficit at the end of the day, not masssssive decreases of caloric intake but a slight deficit soooo basically workout often and eat right but if you want to lose fat, count calories and eat less then what goes out haha
 singledad13
Msg: 46
Posted: 8/20/2012 1:33:47 PM
Well I've been doing P90X for 6 months now and it's changed my life. The first two months I was frustrated because I wasn't seeing the results. So I went on their website www.beachbody.com and found out that the diet is more than 60 percent of the workout. Once I started the diet within 2 weeks I saw my stomach start to shrink. It was truly amazing....

So YES the diet is huge with these workouts!!
 well_hello_u
Msg: 47
Posted: 5/27/2014 10:36:50 AM
I realize this is an old thread, but thought someone could use the information.

I completed P90x, took one week off and just finished the 60 days of Insanity. During the 90 days of P90x I lost about 35 lbs in total and about 16% body fat (went from 34% body fat to around 18%) Along with the exercise program, I also changed my eating habits and had healthier overall diet (I believe this is a huge factor with any exercise program). I definitely got considerably more muscular and strong while doing P90x. So what I did think about Insanity???

During the 60 days of Insanity I lost an additional 5-10 lbs, but I did not lose any body fat %. I lost muscle mass along with fat during the 60 days of Insanity. My cardio and ability to perform athletically in running and basketball, volleyball, etc did get better with Insanity. That being said, I feel I am not really satisfied with losing some of the muscle mass I had worked so hard to get during P90x. Not only did I visibly lose some muscle mass, but I noticed a decrease in my strength as well.

I am again taking a week off and then am going to do a P90x/Insanity hybrid workout. I am hoping I can get some of the cardio benefits I received from Insanity while still gaining and maintaining muscle mass.

Having just completed both, I thought I'd share so others could benefit.
 TrustInKarma
Msg: 48
Posted: 5/28/2014 8:58:35 PM

however ANY program you do is going to be worth it if you stick with it. BOTTOMLINE dedication and discipline are the key.

That is the truth, and the reason why I never tried these programs. Just don't have the time to exercise an hour or longer on most days. I have gotten great results with Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30. Lost 60 pounds after I had my last child using Jillian Michaels DVDs, and this one is the most effective one, IMO. It's only 30 minutes but it's HARD and results can be seen very fast. I'm still doing this one on a regular basis three years after I first tried it. Have not found a more effective 30 minute workout yet.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2014 3:34:16 AM

, I also changed my eating habits and had healthier overall diet (I believe this is a huge factor with any exercise program).

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Curious if your diet was different on the less effective program (for your desired results) and if so, what was different.

Maybe you had enough carbs with protein to fuel that exercise and keep the muscle?
I know the more muscular guys I knew growing up ate more carbs than you would think( the *corn huskers*/farmers/laborers) had their share of corn bread and biscuits along with farm fresh eggs, dairy and meats.
 micklowed1
Msg: 50
Posted: 6/14/2014 11:48:49 AM
Hi! I saw your profile, you look great in your photos. you take care of yourself very well. I have used the Insanity for a while. What I would do before was go to the gym in the morning than afterwards I would do the insanity. It was becoming too much, so I stopped the insanity. Very cool though using Jillian. I have watched her on The Biggest Loser. She very good.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > "P90X" vs. "Insanity" - Which workout program is more effective?