Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > "P90X" vs. "Insanity" - Which workout program is more effective?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 well_hello_u
Msg: 47
P90X vs. Insanity - Which workout program is more effective? Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I realize this is an old thread, but thought someone could use the information.

I completed P90x, took one week off and just finished the 60 days of Insanity. During the 90 days of P90x I lost about 35 lbs in total and about 16% body fat (went from 34% body fat to around 18%) Along with the exercise program, I also changed my eating habits and had healthier overall diet (I believe this is a huge factor with any exercise program). I definitely got considerably more muscular and strong while doing P90x. So what I did think about Insanity???

During the 60 days of Insanity I lost an additional 5-10 lbs, but I did not lose any body fat %. I lost muscle mass along with fat during the 60 days of Insanity. My cardio and ability to perform athletically in running and basketball, volleyball, etc did get better with Insanity. That being said, I feel I am not really satisfied with losing some of the muscle mass I had worked so hard to get during P90x. Not only did I visibly lose some muscle mass, but I noticed a decrease in my strength as well.

I am again taking a week off and then am going to do a P90x/Insanity hybrid workout. I am hoping I can get some of the cardio benefits I received from Insanity while still gaining and maintaining muscle mass.

Having just completed both, I thought I'd share so others could benefit.
 TrustInKarma
Msg: 48
P90X vs. Insanity - Which workout program is more effective?
Posted: 5/28/2014 8:58:35 PM

however ANY program you do is going to be worth it if you stick with it. BOTTOMLINE dedication and discipline are the key.

That is the truth, and the reason why I never tried these programs. Just don't have the time to exercise an hour or longer on most days. I have gotten great results with Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30. Lost 60 pounds after I had my last child using Jillian Michaels DVDs, and this one is the most effective one, IMO. It's only 30 minutes but it's HARD and results can be seen very fast. I'm still doing this one on a regular basis three years after I first tried it. Have not found a more effective 30 minute workout yet.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2014 3:34:16 AM

, I also changed my eating habits and had healthier overall diet (I believe this is a huge factor with any exercise program).

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Curious if your diet was different on the less effective program (for your desired results) and if so, what was different.

Maybe you had enough carbs with protein to fuel that exercise and keep the muscle?
I know the more muscular guys I knew growing up ate more carbs than you would think( the *corn huskers*/farmers/laborers) had their share of corn bread and biscuits along with farm fresh eggs, dairy and meats.
 micklowed1
Msg: 50
Posted: 6/14/2014 11:48:49 AM
Hi! I saw your profile, you look great in your photos. you take care of yourself very well. I have used the Insanity for a while. What I would do before was go to the gym in the morning than afterwards I would do the insanity. It was becoming too much, so I stopped the insanity. Very cool though using Jillian. I have watched her on The Biggest Loser. She very good.
 bigby_wolff
Msg: 51
Posted: 6/29/2014 12:46:23 AM
Both are stupid
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Posted: 6/30/2014 3:26:12 AM

Both are stupid

Any exercise program that someone will stick to and is not dangerous is not "stupid", if it motivates a person to actually move on a regular basis.

If I wasn't cut or shredded myself , I wouldn't slam them and certainly not refer to them as stupid..............just saying.
 Etritonakin
Msg: 53
Posted: 7/17/2014 6:46:08 PM
I have only tried p90x, but the only reason I would want to try anything else would be less of a time commitment per day -which is one of the selling points of Insanity.

Being able to tell yourself it's just a short workout males it more likely you'll do it when you don't necessarily feel like it -and a difference of 30 minutes or so is a major advantage for very busy people.

I can say that p90x is extremely effective -in fact, if I do the whole workout with high intensity it can take me a few days to stop hurting in the targeted muscles -but less so as I progress.

In the beginning, I went all out and ended up getting sick due to a weakened immune system, so listen to your body and don't over-do any exercise.
 _Domination_
Msg: 54
Posted: 9/2/2014 9:07:26 PM
both suck, too long, repetitive and bad for joints.

you could achieve much better results with streagnth/circuit training 20 minutes a few times a week.

i don't get why people think that these COMPANIES selling product are the god send to getting fit.
NO
they are here to TAKE your money. because everyone wants to be spoon fed.

and YES whoever said Diet is the most important factor that's 100% true, you can do p90x or insanity till you're blue in the face and get zero results except sore joints

Limiting processed carbs, eathing clean and trying HIIT or Tabata method will be much better and require less time.
 _Domination_
Msg: 55
Posted: 9/2/2014 9:09:34 PM

Any exercise program that someone will stick to and is not dangerous is not "stupid", if it motivates a person to actually move on a regular basis.

If I wasn't cut or shredded myself , I wouldn't slam them and certainly not refer to them as stupid..............just saying.

BOTH ARE STUPID! :)
and i think they are actually both put out by the same company. Did I mention that....

they both are stupid.
 fuglygirl
Msg: 56
Posted: 9/15/2014 2:51:04 PM

I completed P90x, took one week off and just finished the 60 days of Insanity. During the 90 days of P90x I lost about 35 lbs in total and about 16% body fat (went from 34% body fat to around 18%) Along with the exercise program, I also changed my eating habits and had healthier overall diet (I believe this is a huge factor with any exercise program). I definitely got considerably more muscular and strong while doing P90x. So what I did think about Insanity???

During the 60 days of Insanity I lost an additional 5-10 lbs, but I did not lose any body fat %

how long ago was that? and did you keep up with any of them, or other exercise program?

the problem I see with these programs, implied by the names, is that they are intended for 90 days , or 60 days..

" "to get into great shape in 60 or 90 days"

and THEN?? Fitness is a lifelong pursuit , not something to be "DONE" In 60 or 90 days, then to move on to other interests

it's almost useless to get into great shape?"ripped" after 60 or 90 days, then backslide to an unfit state..some

of these programs are actually probably "too": Intense and will result in injury to the unfit- then couch potato status

better to be moderately fir for life than insanely fit temporarily, then pork out again?

the "60-day" or "90-day" thing make sit seems like "getting in shape" for some event, like a wedding, etc. then backsliding
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 57
Posted: 9/15/2014 9:41:21 PM
i don't get why people think that these COMPANIES selling product are the god send to getting fit.
NO
they are here to TAKE your money. because everyone wants to be spoon fed..

Exactly.
Look at photos of people from the 1800's.
How many 300 lb. people do you ever see in those photos? (there was no photoshop either)
People burned calories by WORKING hard at just about everything, not pushing buttons and typing keys to have machines do everything for them.
Just get outside and DO something.....walk, run, hike, climb, push, pull.....for free.
 billingsmason
Msg: 58
Posted: 9/15/2014 9:50:10 PM
I went to bts at 196. 13 weeks later.... exited at 196. Technically borderline obese.
The weight was carried differently after, but i was in "good" shape before too.....
I didn't gain a pound. I grew an inch.

Fitness may be a life long pursuit, but for different things i need different abilities. Im not going to bulk dirty for 9 weeks for a big city run, or train marathons if the next lift is big.

Now... if i needed to squeeze into a size 8 wedding dress in 90 days..... I would cardio 80 % of my little ass off, give 80% to cell size, and diet detour 80%. Also I wouldn't stress, because the body is capable of amazing things. Notice the 240? Effort and motivation are the most common obstacles. That's all upstairs.

I didn't exercise before bootcamp. They even jumped my shit about it.... accusing me of trying to prepare.
I just worked up until the morning I left...

Youtube people are awesome
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > "P90X" vs. "Insanity" - Which workout program is more effective?