Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Should i be insulted? Would you be?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 cin____dy
Msg: 101
Should i be insulted? Would you be?Page 5 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
If you knew how many people are doing this and good people jumping in to help only to be taken, you would figure it out.
I never borrow money from anyone. Unless you are in a long term relationship and something really bad happened you couldn't have foreseen happen then it is just not a good thing.
Before I would borrow from someone I would go hungry!
Responsible people do not borrow from others, don't care how many dates you paid for.
 RandomScause
Msg: 102
Should i be insulted? Would you be?
Posted: 9/6/2011 9:45:32 PM
+++++I might be insulted, because I would feel this was a severe criticism of me and my sincerity in paying it back. But ... I can see the other side too. Back in the day, a former boyfriend was over 3 months late on his electric bill and they shut it off, until he "borrowed" the $400 from me to get it turned back on. In fact, I called the electric company for him to sort it out because he was an emotional basket-case. Needless to say, he never paid me back, probably never will. Last boyfriend? Lost his job 1 month into our relationship and from then on, I footed the bill for everything -- dinners, movies, drinks -- he would even throw extra stuff in the shopping cart for himself whenever I went to the store -- just expecting that I would pay for it. I understand he hit hard times but -- it got old supporting some guy who wasn't even my husband. So now, I tend to be a bit more cautious when it comes to lending money, paying for stuff, etc. because I've found that some men are quick to take advantage. +++++

Mammy! Mammy! Shugga Mammy! Frederick wanna chocolate gun!! Waaah! Waaaaaaaah! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! (Fer crying out loud... which part of "Waaaaaah!" can't you understand?)
 RandomScause
Msg: 103
Posted: 9/6/2011 9:48:12 PM
Voschi, is your name a Hungarian word, spelled with letters of German phonetics?

I wanted to ask you this in a private email here, but I can't get through. I know personal correspondence is forbidden in the forums, I admit I know, and I shouldn't be doing this. If I get punished with a suspension, I understand, and I will accept the punishment without resentment.
 cedar77
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Posted: 9/6/2011 10:37:59 PM
Well , there is a lot of men who are struggling just to make ends meet . Men can be hit very hard by divorce since the courts are very woman friendly these days . We hear a lot of about dead beat dads , but studies show that most dead beat dads are actually financially ruined , out of work , or underemployed and just not able to pay .

The thing is that with a " mancession" on , where men are losing work to the new "service" economy where women seem to fair much better and with affirmative action to make sure women get the secure government type job ( just look at the numbers of women in gov ) , hopefully women might be a bit sympathetic .

In this so called world of "equality " I bet that both men and women would not be so hard on the OP had the OP been a woman borrowing money to pay her rent from a male date !

I would have said the same thing to a woman... figure out how to handle it on your own or ask a relative/friend... not the person you are dating.

It's tacky and putting them on the spot.

I thought friendship was important in a potential relationship . It would appear she might have been his only option . Being broke and short on rent is not a time to be worried about tacky , it is a time to rely on a friend ...hopefully .

you've only been dating 6 months,

6 months ! OMG I missed that , I did not know it was that much of a relationship .
Leave that selfish b*tch OP !
 Janet_Always
Msg: 105
Posted: 9/6/2011 10:40:41 PM

I bet that both men ans women would not be so hard a woman borrowing money to pay her rent from a male date !

I would have said the same thing to a woman... figure out how to handle it on your own or ask a relative/friend... not the person you are dating.

It's tacky and putting them on the spot.
 mccrackin15
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Posted: 9/6/2011 10:50:54 PM
You should not be insulted. She was being honest and I would feel the same way. Hard times are upon us all but when you ask for a loan from someone you've only been dating 6 months, she may be wondering if you are with her as a means of financial support. Whether you can support yourself or not, asking for this loan certainly would make me question a future.

Personally, I can't believe you aren't asking if maybe you shouldn't have borrowed the money! Instead, you're on the fence of being insulted by her backing off. I'm sure you're a great guy and all but geez!
 cooldog65
Msg: 107
view profile
History
Posted: 9/6/2011 10:52:13 PM
@cedar77: Absolutely on point about court system. Yes there is a double standard. There is equality except in romance and finance in a relationship. Must be a fan of Marc Rudov (The no nonsense man). I am for sure.
 five-marie
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 9/7/2011 3:14:42 AM
Divorce is financially hurtful to both women and men. The custodial parent is further hindered by childcare issues when looking for a job.
When I was younger I wanted to slap every man who complained about paying child support. I also supported my children, just didn't give it a name. Didn't blame all my financial woes on them.
You have children, you should be supporting them. Women and men. You're in constant financial trouble, you need to up your income. Or lower your expenses. Maybe he could get rid of the internet?
 RandomScause
Msg: 109
Posted: 9/7/2011 11:16:03 AM
++++Divorce is financially hurtful to both women and men. The custodial parent is further hindered by childcare issues when looking for a job or a boyfriend.++++

In which Pooh and Piglet build a trap to catch a Heffalump.

In that chapter they build the trap, then they argue if Heffalumps like corn more (Piglet's point, he eats corn) ot honey. (Pooh's point is honey, as it is Pooh's favourite staple.)

They are arguing, and piglet realizes, that if it's corn, then he has to give up some of his stock. So he says, "you're right, Pooh, Heffalumps like honey." Pooh realizes what happened, but too late. He opens his mouth, but Piglet (Pooh's best friend) sternly and strongly says "HONEY. Honey it is."

Sounds like the child custody battles in some divorces. ("Sweet Jesus, what did I do? Now I'm stuck with the spawn.")

Previous poster, I know this is not you, coz kids are a source of infinite joy. Just saying that some other custody battles may go this way.

- - - - - -

Maybe he could get rid of the internet? Or he could trade one of the kids for high speed access.
 maryjay51
Msg: 110
Posted: 9/7/2011 11:38:36 AM
i have a hard time loaning money to anyone let along a guy im new to dating with. perhaps you should look into a second income option if its that hard on your financial situation right now. it sucked when i got a divorce. i was left out to dry by my ex but i worked my tail off on two jobs and going to school so i would never be in that situation again.
 Phenomenally43
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Posted: 9/7/2011 1:41:40 PM
No...you shouldn't be insulted...you should put in overtime, go to a pawn shop or have a yard sale... NEVER ASK A WOMAN YOU ARE DATING FOR $$$ unless you want to end the relationship.

Dating is when you show you BEST attributes & abilities,, not the best time to expose financial distress.

As we get a bit older and wiser, women come to realise that, while a man may not be expected to pay 100% for dates, that we measure his ability to become a life partner by how he handles his finances. Not being in a position to pay your rent is a HUGE RED FLAG. This signals that this particular man may not manage his recurring responsibilities (rent is due every 30 days), may be living beyond his means or YIKES...may need for her to reach into her pocketbook to help support HIS lifestyle, which includes supporting children that AREN'T HERS.

You would be well warned to NEVER let a woman know that you have fallen short, until such time as you are in a true partnership (marriage)...then I am sure she would feel more at ease contributing.
 viper1j
Msg: 112
Posted: 9/7/2011 2:26:59 PM

As we get a bit older and wiser, women come to realise that, while a man may not be expected to pay 100% for dates, that we measure his ability to become a life partner by how he handles his finances. Not being in a position to pay your rent is a HUGE RED FLAG.

And so is dying, so remember to just laugh off that heart attack or stroke, otherwise she may run for the hills.
 NWASquirrely
Msg: 113
view profile
History
Posted: 9/7/2011 2:33:53 PM
LOTS of negitive feelings here.

Might possibley we reverse rolls here.
If a woman asked a man for help on rent, getting auto repaired, or handwork for her home, I presume that all would think it's ok.
Sorry seen women manipulate men so much.

But as in general unless your married hun, don't ask for money.
I also suggest that you evaluate your relationship more.
Stop paying for the dates out, go dutch and see how she like that.
 Phenomenally43
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Posted: 9/7/2011 2:45:47 PM
I think the standard should be the same for both sexes...especially in a dating relationship. Why should a man be expected to pay his dates rent and childcare costs and what does that say about a woman who'd expect it, even an 8 day loan?

Maybe taking on a part time job won't leave a lot of time for dates, but it will do wonders for your dignity...employment and financial responsibility go a long way when trying to establish a LTR... when you are in a place to pursue one.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 115
view profile
History
Posted: 9/7/2011 2:52:10 PM

Why should a man be expected to pay his dates rent and childcare costs and what does that say about a woman who'd expect it,

How silly...I think everyone expects people to pay for their own rent and child support (if they have a dependant child)...and we're only hearing one side of the story....we've no clue that the woman doesn't pay for all the dates or her fair share.

Really...people think it's ok to borrow money from a date???? IMO it's tacky at best.
 twelfth_dimension
Msg: 116
Posted: 9/7/2011 3:26:41 PM

Mammy! Mammy! Shugga Mammy! Frederick wanna chocolate gun!! Waaah! Waaaaaaaah! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! (Fer crying out loud... which part of "Waaaaaah!" can't you understand?)

These men were older than me, the last one by 10 years, so I could hardly be called a "shugga mammy" in this case. Unless the definition as I know it has changed.
 RandomScause
Msg: 117
Posted: 9/7/2011 3:46:02 PM
Your situation, Dimension, was very clearly and apparently a misplaced transference, something specific and recurring enough that the literature has a name for it. Namely, "chronologically inverted Oedipus-complex". This is a deathly disease, it ends fatally, the psychiatrist keels over in his chair, so it's not one of them hot cool therapies that all analysts are trying to get in on with their patients. In fact, the diagnosis and its curative therapy has been hushed up by-and-very-large by the profession.
 Bret_1967
Msg: 118
Posted: 9/7/2011 4:04:47 PM
tough lesson learned - if it's that big of a deal just make sure you don't ask to borrow the hair dryer ~
 joie11
Msg: 119
view profile
History
Posted: 9/7/2011 7:05:52 PM
Well, his profile does say he's not too good with math and states that its important to communicate...so he shouldnt feel insulted that she's communicating and not just cutting him loose...

Maybe he should consider getting a roommate, using a credit a credit card, mowing the neighbor's yard, stuff like that; but definitely talking to the landlord would be priority number one.

I lent my ex money to get his car fixed, he paid back two installments. No big, but when I noticed he was buying smokes and liquor, asked him for another and then I was made to feel like the bad guy... so i just called it a loss. You live and learn and deal with it.
 forumfishie
Msg: 120
Posted: 9/7/2011 7:11:16 PM
"when I noticed he was buying smokes and liquor, asked him for another and then I was made to feel like the bad guy... "

That's what the OP has done

He is insulted because she gave him money and was thinking about
staying with someone so irresponsible or not

She is the bad guy for loaning him money,,,,,,,,,, without a smile

(Stand by your man song in the background)
 Laha Math
Msg: 121
Posted: 9/7/2011 7:23:40 PM
OP: By asking you put her in a awkward situation. If you said your were grounded for a while because you owed rent and she OFFERED to lend you the money that would be different. I think she lent you the money reluctantly because you put her on the spot and now she's having second thoughts about your relationship. Her behaviour seems quite natural to me. She has been insulted, not you. If you need to borrow money go to a bank, not to the girl you're dating.
 pasmal
Msg: 122
Posted: 9/7/2011 8:04:44 PM
She lent it, so no insult. If she said no when she had it, not a good sign. She was right to tell you it bothered her. You can't expect her money, you aren't married or long term enough solid. Some people are like married people in their closeness. You should discuss money issues later, if you are still involved and committing to something permanent. Then be open about finances and how it should go on both sides. If you can't agree, ltr is doomed.
 livluv1
Msg: 123
Posted: 9/7/2011 9:35:58 PM
Well you said that she realized all of your other good qualities!! Sorry but no matter how old we women get we still want the man to be the bread winner. But we also realized times are tough!! It sounds to me she realized she was being stupid and petty. But she wanted to be honest with you. Now you don't have to wonder what "you did wrong" lol. Be happy, this really shows your relationship is growing stonger unless of course she reads what you wrote on the forum instead of talking it over with her.
Good luck
 Vannili
Msg: 124
view profile
History
Posted: 9/7/2011 10:22:10 PM
Msg.1:

Why asked the forum if you "should be insulted" You do feel insulted?????????????? it is your own decision to feel insulted or not... other people doesn't think for you...

How does it grab you if you are dating a woman for 6 months and had to borrow a $100.00 from you because she was irresponsible
for her rent ? It is it your fault that she is late for her rent ?

It is not an excuse for me that a man is working 46 hours paying many bills and child support and spending money for dates , it is okay for me if he would say that our date is DUTCH TREAT, but to borrow money from me , he is WEAK and insensitive, I am not loan institution and I need my hard earned money for my bills too.

You are lucky with your GF , I guessed she was weighing the bara bing bara bang and the $100.00 that she need a space from you ...

Meh I don't borrow money from any one specially a date or boyfriend/fiancee I have pride and self respect. It is okay for me to
skip meals, if it is hard for me to manage my money to pay my bills.
 Vannili
Msg: 125
view profile
History
Posted: 9/7/2011 10:52:55 PM

If a woman asked a man fir help on rent, getting auto repaired, or handwork for her home, I presume that all would think it's ok.

Wrong!!!!!
men will think that she is a gold digger.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Should i be insulted? Would you be?