Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Whisky_River
Msg: 24
Being stood upPage 4 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Maybe...I should reread her post..because I am sure she called her second time to him at ten after...then decided to go get gas..investigated an accident..got gas....then drove by the restaurant and noticed his car...oh..and made a 3rd call to him in the meantime.
He was more than 10 minutes late.
Now....He gave her his cell# and I have to say...I don't know many young men that have not got it attached to their hand..,,,and doesn't it beep when you have a message???
After 3 calls unanswered by him....when he had made it to the restaurant...why did he not call her then???
Absolutely...she did the right thing! I feel people who disregard or use lame excuses for keeping people waiting on them...shows an agrrogance and disrespect for others.
 The_Standard_Model
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Being stood up
Posted: 9/14/2011 9:56:00 PM

Maybe...I should reread her post..because I am sure she called her second time to him at ten after...then decided to go get gas..investigated an accident..got gas....then drove by the restaurant and noticed his car...oh..and made a 3rd call to him in the meantime.
He was more than 10 minutes late.
Now....He gave her his cell# and I have to say...I don't know many young men that have not got it attached to their hand..,,,and doesn't it beep when you have a message???
After 3 calls unanswered by him....when he had made it to the restaurant...why did he not call her then???
Absolutely...she did the right thing! I feel people who disregard or use lame excuses for keeping people waiting on them...shows an agrrogance and disrespect for others.

I guess that youshould. But by just re-reading it you will come to the same conclusion.
I had a "Meet and Greet" with someone on POF. He called the night before and verified it. Said I could call him if I needed to and gave me his cell. I got to the restaurant 20 minutes early...traffic wasn't bad...so I called to let him know. He didn't answer. Ok, busy driving. Our time was 7p.m. 7p.m. came and went. No phone call. 7:10 p.m. I called to make sure he was ok. No answer. First I though something was wrong. I left to go get gas while waiting for phone call and saw accident. Thought it might be him so I went to check it out. Nope. I call one last time and this time it went STRAIGHT to his message...phone turned off. Tad upse, but ok. My nephew worked there and was expecting me, so I went back to let him know I wouldn't be staying. Guess whose vehicle was there. Yep, his. I didn't hunt him and haven't call him back, but man. This was my first experience with POF and it was crapy.

My dad said, if you fall off the horse, get back up on it and ride, or you'll never ride again. So ok dad. I'll take that advice.

You then have to bring something of yourself to the process here. He may have been anywhere from ten to twenty minutes late. She left after ten minutes so as she was leaving he may have been walking in. He may have walked in five minutes later or even just as she saw his car. It would generally take about ten minutes to do what she claims to have done. Twenty minutes is around the limits that reasonable people would wait.
Why would you LEAVE after ten minutes? What have you lost after ten minutes? It's still a reasonable amount of time. So then she calls...

Nope. I call one last time and this time it went STRAIGHT to his message...phone turned off. Tad upse, but ok.

Sher has 'decided that he turned his phone off. It is just as likely that it lost power. It happens. But she is now upset. If it has no power or he forgot it at home then no amount of beeping will let him know that she called (and for the record I have an Android and it does not beep if I have a message).
In the end she left the restaurant after waiting ten minutes, came back around ten minutes later and there he was. He obviously showed up so no matter what happened she was not stood up. The date shows up then there is no Stood up. It's called late. He may have been ten minutes late or twenty minutes late. The fact is that the OP left at the ten minute mark and frankly that is not reasonable. She had a nephew that worked there. She could have left a message with the guy through the nephew in case he came by. She chose not to show any initiative or foresite in this situation. The OP came back and there he was, but instead of going inside to see him, SHE decided to leave... standing him up.
Is she entitled to leave? Yeah sure. It's a free country but, she proceeded to make a thread out of the experience talking about Daddy said if you fall off the horse get back on again. She was not treated poorly or stood up here. She simply became upset and left. The plain truth is that he showed up in the time that normal people would wait for a date. Would he owe an explaination and an apology? Of course! But they could have simply laughed about it and gone on with the date. his wrong doing was being 10-20 minutes late. Hers was leaving him waiting when she actually KNEW that he was there waiting on her, essentially standing him up.
 DudeistPriest
Msg: 26
Being stood up
Posted: 9/17/2011 5:37:39 AM
(raises hand) Excuse me. How did you know it was his car?
Could he maybe have been held up by the traffic caused by the accident?
Could he have walked in after you left to go get gas, and why would you do that?
I think he thinks he was the one that got stood up, and technically he was.
He's guilty of being late. Your the one that did the standing up.
 RT_2
Msg: 27
Being stood up
Posted: 9/18/2011 1:43:14 PM
The OP says this was her first experience with POF, making her post this month (September 2011), and she joined the site in 2009. Hmm.

Because her nephew worked at the restaurant, it's likely she picked the site for the date and the man was kind enough to go somewhere convenient for her where she would feel comfortable. His being slightly late could be a combination of traffic problems from the accident and his being unfamiliar with the restaurant location.

My dates are almost always punctual. When the two of us meet at the site of the date (as opposed to one person driving to the other's home and driving together, in which case she's usually ready to go when I arrive or vice versa), usually I get there a bit early and she's already there. I've been stood up only once by anyone on here; it happened this summer. It wasn't a first meet; she and I had seen each other *nine* times before. I was the one who had suggested we get together for that day, but it was her idea where/when to go. She and I chatted online earlier on the day of the event. I told her when I was leaving home, so if she already knew she wouldn't go, she had plenty of opportunity to tell me she wouldn't be there (around 10:00 AM I told her I'd leave home around 2:00 PM, and just before 2:00 I wrote "shutting down in a few minutes, see you there"). We were supposed to meet around 6:00 for a performance whose gates opened around 7:00. When she still wasn't at the location around 6:50, I called her: after 4+ rings, it went to her voicemail and I left a message saying exactly where I was. She did not reply (she's attached to a "smart phone" 24/7). When I got home, there was no phone message, email or messenger message. Can't remember the last time I encountered someone so discourteous and uncommunicative. She's unreliable and inconsiderate; she clearly cannot be trusted. Having still not heard from her within 48 hours of being stood up, I discarded her phone number and removed her as a contact from the messenger. Good riddance! Friends/coworkers/acquaintances asked if I would contact her again; they approved when I said I wouldn't.

The day wasn't a total loss. I had something else to do in the area for several hours before the ill-fated planned event (left home around 2:00). Had a terrific time at the earlier event. Perhaps I scheduled the two events because I intuitively knew she might pull something rude such as standing me up without letting me know. Once it was obvious she wouldn't show, I noticed there were quite a few appealing women at the event. A man in the row behind me remarked, "There sure are a lot of blondes here!" I pointed to the empty seat next to me and dryly said there'd be one more if she hadn't stood me up.
 Cynderella
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Being stood up
Posted: 9/18/2011 6:05:16 PM
I am not sure how one would tell a car from any other car being one person's ride unless he said here is my plate number.
Something seems very muddy to me.
 Cynderella
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Being stood up
Posted: 9/19/2011 2:33:50 PM

How ever this horse bucked you off and kicked you while you were on the ground.

Wholly Sh!t I just fell off my chair and hit my head...
I have not laughed like that in one heck of a long time! Thanks

Now what were discussing here?
Right being stood-up...
*brush myself off, trying not to laugh, clearing throat, I mean fingers*
I am with the "time warp theory"-----You got there too soon and gave up to fast.
 Caringheart2011
Msg: 30
Being stood up
Posted: 9/20/2011 6:24:19 PM
Apparently she can't come up with an explanation ?

I also wonder how she find out that was his car ?

So sorry Princess he was so late .......10 minutes .
I think you gave him a favor. He is better off, never to meet you.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >