Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Religion and Dating      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Maleman999
Msg: 126
Religion and DatingPage 6 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
Another problem is a religious person thinks they're going to heaven because they are a follower of a specific religion, and all non-followers of that religion are destined for hell or some form of it. I would think a religious person would want their spouse to join them in heaven when their earth living is done. And the only way they perceive that to happen is to convert the spouse-to save him/her, so they both end up in heaven. So in that regard, I don't see a solution if they're not on the same page concerning the afterlife.
 Faithful_lady2011
Msg: 127
view profile
History
Religion and Dating
Posted: 10/28/2011 7:40:37 PM
SylvanSwan
In a nutshell, I would ask you if you would like to hear why I believe what I believe.
If the answer is no, I will go on my way or talk about something else. If yes, then I would share my personal experience why my relationship with God is important to me and how it affects my life. If you have questions or something you don’t understand, I’ll explain.

Buscgirl.
I say I want to smack their heads, but it doesn’t mean I would actually do it.
My human nature wants to smack them but God commanded us to love everyone so I will resist. There are people who called themselves "Christians", but at the same time you can see them on the streets holding "God hates (insert certain group of people here)" signs or claimed bashing a woman for having an abortion. That is not the right way of demonstrating God's love and those are the type of people that tempts me to smack their heads.

In a nutshell my beliefs can be found on this link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_and_Missionary_Alliance#Beliefs
 SylvanSwan
Msg: 128
Religion and Dating
Posted: 10/28/2011 8:11:39 PM
@Faithful one:

In a nutshell, I would ask you if you would like to hear why I believe what I believe.

Would that include information straight from the bible, or would there also be scientific evidence included? It may be an issue for you that I consider myself an intelligent enough woman to believe in evolution.

...why my relationship with God is important to me and how it affects my life.

Well, God is important to me too and whether he affects my life differently than yours, I don't know. We may satisfied to go further than that, or just leave it at that I don't know either. But either way, thank you for your answer.
 MutedEnthusiasm
Msg: 129
Religion and Dating
Posted: 10/28/2011 9:14:07 PM

My human nature wants to smack them but God commanded us to love everyone so I will resist.

Just so you know, there are quite a few of us who don’t believe in or follow the commands of any god, and our human nature doesn’t tell us to smack other people.

Our human nature tells us to be kind and tolerant, and to resist the impulse to hostility and violence, not because some god said so but because violence hurts the people we love and destroys the relationships that make us happy.

That’s human nature too. That’s what I believe. And if ever you find that what you believe isn't working for you… I hope someday you'll join us.
 igetit2
Msg: 130
view profile
History
Religion and Dating
Posted: 10/28/2011 10:39:11 PM
I wouldn't ..Been down that path.. I'm pretty liberal partner I was attracted was extremely religious. Didn't work out!
 pretzelman60
Msg: 131
Religion and Dating
Posted: 10/28/2011 10:53:53 PM
A former relationship I was in was as good as good could be. That is, until she found Jesus(I didn't even know he was lost). Then it all went to hell.All the things we did in the privacy of our bedroom, suddenly became taboo. My experience is some can't keep their "god" out of the bedroom. Again, it's the reason I put in my profile,"if you're a Christian" don't bother me. Now there is no chance of the OP's situation happening to me again.

JMO
 fit2date
Msg: 132
Religion and Dating
Posted: 10/28/2011 11:00:25 PM
Open minded but shies away from religion? That does not make sense. This relationship won't work because YOU have an issue with it. Open minded, hahahahahahaha.
 MutedEnthusiasm
Msg: 133
Religion and Dating
Posted: 10/29/2011 1:30:10 AM
Yeah! Bun fight!

Open minded but shies away from religion? That does not make sense. This relationship won't work because YOU have an issue with it. Open minded, hahahahahahaha.

I can think of a few partnerships I’d shy away from. With a chain-smoker, for instance. Or someone who kept wild monkeys as pets, or played video games twelve hours a day, or flipped a coin everytime there was a decision to be made.

I suppose if they all pointed the finger at me insisting I was the one with the issue, I would concede the point and back away. There’s nothing to be won there.

Even if I could pursuade them that their lifestyle was a factor, wouldn’t it just be easier to start with someone who was already capable of considering more than one point of view?

Rather than struggling to make a relationship (or even a conversation) work with someone who wasn’t?
 SylvanSwan
Msg: 134
Religion and Dating
Posted: 10/29/2011 7:51:53 AM
Muted said:
I can think of a few partnerships I’d shy away from. ... Or someone who kept wild monkeys as pets...

In light of that woman who was violently attacked by that chimp (and had her body ripped apart including her face), I'd stay away from that too...eeesh! lol.

I dated a 'religious' guy for a full 2 years and only attended his church once during that time. Perhaps it was because the religion was also my mothers, maybe he thought I would eventually convert because I understood it? Obviously it didn't happen...lol.

The LAST thing I want to do after sitting at a desk all week is spend more time sitting on a hard, wooden pew that hurts my azz while the sun shines outside and something more constructive awaits me.

kcladyz
Msg: 135
Religion and Dating
Posted: 10/29/2011 7:56:30 AM
No... if you date someone so over the deep end on religion and your on the opposite side of the spectrum its going to crash and burn. She will always appear to judge you and probably thinks anyone that is not a religious zeliot as herself will go to hell. i am speaking from experience from dating to another girlfriend. i am not religious at all and i get that i am going to hell judgement by every human being that is over the top religious
 kcladyz
Msg: 136
Religion and Dating
Posted: 10/29/2011 7:58:13 AM
I was talking to a guy on here that believed i was going to hell for watching"Supernatural" and that being my fave TV show. but he was all for premarital sex. hypocrite LOL blocked his sorry ass fast!
 Faithful_lady2011
Msg: 137
view profile
History
Religion and Dating
Posted: 10/29/2011 2:57:13 PM
SylverSwan
If I share what I believe then it would be base on my experience, the Bible and scientific evidence. It all depends on who I am talking with. So for example, if a person is a science guru, I would use more scientific evidence. If a person is an illustrative, I would share my faith using illustrations and examples. Hope that explains stuff a bit. Let me know if you have more questions.

Muted
Yes, it is easy to treat people if they are nice to us or never done us any harm. But, what if they treated us badly? Let’s just say a guy just sucker punch us just because he can. Human nature (well, at least me) would want to hit him back. But my faith in God tells me to forgive him (whether he’s sorry or not) instead of revenge.
 BlankScreenForNow
Msg: 138
Religion and Dating
Posted: 10/29/2011 9:08:24 PM
I'm an atheist. I think that a lot of the instructions religions give are really immoral, and it's important to meet not to date someone with an immoral belief system. So...yeah. Religion's important to me in a partner.
 good_catch77
Msg: 139
Religion and Dating
Posted: 10/29/2011 9:52:55 PM

I was talking to a guy on here that believed i was going to hell for watching"Supernatural" and that being my fave TV show. but he was all for premarital sex. hypocrite LOL blocked his sorry ass fast!

I swear I'd much rather hear a dying cat scream than have to deal with hypocrites....esp religious ones....They are the worst they say abortion is wrong but if it was their daughter that had premarital sex and to keep the "clean" Christian Image that baby is gone.

There are 1,000's of examples I could write a series of books, longer than Twilight, just on this subject....
 camaro67
Msg: 140
Religion and Dating
Posted: 10/30/2011 1:57:43 PM
if the religion bothers you , it always will if he is a nut so to speak. if you don't like religion , have someone in your life that is equal in that respect.otherwise arguments will insue!
 Draegoneer
Msg: 141
Religion and Dating
Posted: 10/30/2011 2:04:51 PM
So many misconceptions at times. I'm of christian faith. Too many people think religion is about rules and rituals. It's not. It's about your faith and what you believe and try to live according to the Bible. If your date or potential other does or doesn't believe, it should not be an issue. It's not your job to convert or shove it down peoples' throats. It is your job to keep practicing and living what you normally do on that path. At times, as long as they don't get out of hand, discussions may take place over it. Over time, it's possible they will follow your example and see what it's all about. For those that don't practice or follow any doctrine, that's their choice. It doesn't hurt if you keep people with or with out "religion" according to your wants, out of your searches.
 Aries_328
Msg: 142
view profile
History
Religion and Dating
Posted: 10/30/2011 2:28:53 PM

Too many people think religion is about rules and rituals.

and

For those that don't practice or follow any doctrine, that's their choice.

You are aware that being religious and following doctrine by definition means following rules and rituals?
 bamagrl68
Msg: 143
Religion and Dating
Posted: 10/30/2011 4:11:13 PM
good catch77- I know what you mean. I have no problem with someone stating their beliefs and listening to what they have to say.
However, some of the people who profess to being christian need to do a reality check.
I'm pretty fond of saying that being in a church doesn't make you a christian any more than being in a garage makes you a car.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 144
view profile
History
Religion and Dating
Posted: 10/30/2011 6:33:38 PM
"I'm pretty fond of saying that being in a church doesn't make you a christian any more than being in a garage makes you a car."

I agree with that, thing is chat being a christian is covers a broad spectrum as there are many different denominations. I do understand what you're saying, but so many have so many different versions of what they think being a christian is. Something important I remind myself of often, is that, for me, a huge part of being christian is it being my personal relationship and not to measure any other person's christianity by my own yardstick. I did call out one poster in this forum, as the reaction to not accepting what they felt their truth was, was to smack someone. I realize that person responded, but missed the boat, IMO. No, of course, I realized it wasn't something that person would neccesarily DO, it's just that's the first thing that pops in their mind or they would post it on a public forum "putting it out there", to me that spoke volumes.

That's a form of intolerance that, whatever "religious" label one has, acting or speaking as such would accomplish nothing other than to turn other people off and sadly, even tend to expect the same reaction from others from that group.

I'm not that educated about other religions, from the little bit of knowledge, with most I see a pattern of a large part of their doctrine or belief has to do with their relationships with others. Doing good, loving and caring for others, patience, kindness....this is a very common thread in many religions.
 RoxanneR
Msg: 145
Religion and Dating
Posted: 11/2/2011 9:52:23 PM
I know several people who would be termed non-Christians, but I'm not going to force my beliefs on them. I would not call myself intolerant.
Experiences that others have shared with me about loved ones indicate that Christ gives someone a last chance to accept Him even at death.
 Draegoneer
Msg: 146
Religion and Dating
Posted: 11/3/2011 7:01:09 AM
Trying to follow the bible is following doctrine. Free choice is still ours. For it to fully mean anything means it's natural and heart felt according to what you believe. You can follow a "religion" with all of IT'S rituals and doctrine, but that doesn't mean it's right. Goes back to free choice, reading, following, and trying to live what you believe.
 totalazzhole
Msg: 147
Religion and Dating
Posted: 11/3/2011 10:22:17 AM

The left always preaches tolerance of all kinds of nonsense, but when it comes to Christianity, they have no tolerance at all

it's not a virtue to be SO tolerant, that one tolerates intolerance!
 Metal_Mike667
Msg: 148
Religion and Dating
Posted: 11/3/2011 7:15:51 PM
Im fine with the girl being a christian if shes a religious nut and takes it way too seriously. Im out
 Secondhand_Lion
Msg: 149
view profile
History
Religion and Dating
Posted: 11/10/2011 11:11:54 PM
I'm agnostic/atheist, and I like dating Christian women. If they can believe the earth is only six thousands years old....it shouldn't be too much of a stretch believing I'm thirty five.
 free4all131220
Msg: 150
Religion and Dating
Posted: 11/11/2011 6:18:57 AM
just the fact that you used the term "religious nut" tells me that you're hostile to religion in general. so i'd say spare the other person your negativity.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Religion and Dating