Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Religion and Dating      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 TimeFlies24
Msg: 151
Religion and DatingPage 7 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
^^^^^^ I totally agree. It sounds like you can't respect people that have decided to devote their life to God. Move on. She doesnt need your negativity in her life
 ontario_woman
Msg: 152
view profile
History
Religion and Dating
Posted: 11/11/2011 6:32:05 AM
I have no issues with a person's religious beliefs providing that they are tolerant of other religions. I have dated people of all different faiths and I have never had any problems providing that they didn't try to convert me.
 Capn_America
Msg: 153
Religion and Dating
Posted: 11/11/2011 6:45:53 AM

Under what circumstances should one carry on a relationship? That is the question I currently find myself pending.

Let's assume you meet a great and attractive person and they feel attraction for you too. Then as you get to know them more, they turn out to be a religious nut (let's use Christianity as an example) and take a completely literal interpretation of the Bible.

So here's the question: If the other person (me in this case) is a liberal, open-minded person that shies away from organized religion, is the relationship worth pursuing?

Depends on a lot of stuff. How tolerant you are, how tolerant he is, how 'nut' he is. If he's a Scientologist and wants you to give all your cash to the Church, I'd probably throw him to the dogs I just bought and hope L Ron Hubbard meets him at the other end. But if it's just that he believes in that stuff and doesnt actually 'live' by it or try to preach it, I don't see how it could interfere with a romantic relationship. Once the kids come however....ish, might be problems.
 free4all131220
Msg: 154
Religion and Dating
Posted: 11/11/2011 7:05:12 AM
don't worry ontario, no one can convert you other than God himself, but it'll be your choice to submit or not.

I was hesitant to open this thread because Iknew it would be just a Christian bashing fest by supposedly open minded people, and you folks didn't disappoint. If it were any other group(except maybe jewish) where such negativity and criticism was being put forward the whole thread would be pulled for being offensive.

To my fellow Christians here; don't argue with them(they're too well rehearsed), you can only pray on their behalf.
 Capn_America
Msg: 155
Religion and Dating
Posted: 11/11/2011 8:21:15 AM

just the fact that you used the term "religious nut" tells me that you're hostile to religion in general. so i'd say spare the other person your negativity

Gimme a freakin break. Its a wholly accurate term because there are TONS of religious nuts out there, who live their lives thinking God will come back tommorrow morning and smite "all us infidels" except them because they somehow remained "true to God" by scaring old ladies and children. Dont be high and mighty, we all sh*t from the same hole.

Now, I'm a very religious guy myself, used to go to Church every sunday, choir boy, etc etc. But reality of it is, Priest still scr*wed young boys, and some people still say if you have s*x before mariage your gonna burn in Hell. I'll be waiting for you, I got 2 kids and I'm not married. I still insist on saying religion plays a very minor role in a relationship, and everyone is free to have the religion and beliefs system they want. But the problem with religious nuts is that they always think they have the 'right' way and mentality and that everyone else is wrong. Think that old lady in the movie "The Fog" by Stephen King. Religion was made by men for men, the real message by God was "love each other, be fruitfull and multiply, and don't f*ck yourselves...
 Maleman999
Msg: 156
Religion and Dating
Posted: 11/11/2011 8:52:51 AM

free4all131220:
To my fellow Christians here; don't argue with them(they're too well rehearsed), you can only pray on their behalf.

If I was to start bashing religion and Christians and denounced the existence of God and Jesus, would I still got to heaven because you and your fellow Christians prayed for me? Who gave you the power to decide where people go after death? If I prayed for you to go to Hell when you die, would you end up in Hell because of my prayers?
 TimeFlies24
Msg: 157
Religion and Dating
Posted: 11/11/2011 9:09:24 AM
free4all131220:

They most certainly are. I have learned to argue with them. They love tearing down Christian thoughts and beliefs. Noone has judged them for being non-Christian or no-religious, but they always judge Christians for their beliefs. It's a shame, that this world has come to this.
 virVerus
Msg: 158
Religion and Dating
Posted: 11/11/2011 11:44:22 AM

They most certainly are. I have learned to argue with them. They love tearing down Christian thoughts and beliefs. Noone has judged them for being non-Christian or no-religious, but they always judge Christians for their beliefs. It's a shame, that this world has come to this.

The whole premise of Christianity relies on the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ to atone for the entire world's sins, and that basically was a human sacrifice. If Yahweh was all-powerful and all that, then why would "he" need any kind of sacrifice? Then again, it wasn't just the Semites out in the Middle Eastern desert offering sacrifices to a deity (or deities). Our Indo-European ancestors also practice animal/blood sacrifices. You give an offering to a god and "he/she/it" is obligated to give you something in return. That underlines the basic concept of tithing and offerings in Christian churches. Up until modern times we in the West didn't have any religious choices other than to practice some form of Christianity. Sure, those living in the country could get away with more, but they still didn't want the authorities to find out about it, civil or religious. Nowadays we deplore Muslim countries under strict Sharia law doing the things they do, such as stoning women accused of adultery, but that's the punishment the Old Testament gave for women caught in adultery, and there were plenty of human-rights abuses, all in the name of "God" and religion, in Europe for hundreds of years. Do I blame modern Christians for that? No! I would say that 99% of the world's Christians are peace-loving people who want to practice their religion and be left alone. Then there's that 1% that gives them all a bad name. They're the ones who want their morality to be legislated by Congress and do things like repeal Roe vs. Wade and enact a Congressional amendment to the U.S. Constitution so that only men and women are allowed to get married and have the benefits which marriage offers. Sorry, but people were getting married a long time before either Christianity or Judaism came into existence. Speaking of Judaism, which Jewish holy days do most Christians celebrate? None of them! Christian holiday customs in the West were very much influenced by Indo-European Paleopagan customs. The Jehovah Witnesses know that and therefore don't celebrate Christmas or Easter. Catholics know that and keep celebrating them, as long as the emphasis is on Yahweh and Christ instead of our ancestors' deities.

“Anti-Christianity” and Who-Hates-Who?
http://www.neopagan.net/Anti-Christianity.html

Isaac Bonewits Neo-Pagan Ethics and Theology
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGbN9FVU6Ro

Here's a song from a Wiccan view on interfaith (and not just intrafaith between different Christian denominations) dialogue:

Velvet Hammer - Blessed Be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERsep3QHe-A

http://www.dreamtrybe.com/lyrics.cfm

"You're telling me the Goddess tales
must all be lies, for God is male
somewhere down the line
the role of Mother became odd"

"I will pray my prayers
the way I please
don't try so hard to save me
just keep your beliefs
and I'll keep mine
that is my religious right"

I'm a polytheist and not a duotheistic Wiccan. In my opinion, a God and a Goddess are just 2 steps/gods away from atheism, so in my biased, subjective opinion monotheism is just one step/god away from atheism, and we've seen a lot of ex-Christians go that route.
 Fleuron
Msg: 159
Religion and Dating
Posted: 11/11/2011 11:49:31 AM
Strange Design is long gone.

I’m thinking he used another defunct username…can’t remember it but he started a thread a while back about never brushing his teeth, or finding compatible therapists, etc. I think he said he was autistic. He disregarded every reasonable suggestion until he finally disappeared.

Strange Design’s voice is very similar, as is his dismissal of just about every comment while elaborating on his story with every post. And of course, his disappearing act.
 free4all131220
Msg: 160
Religion and Dating
Posted: 11/11/2011 5:51:33 PM
no maleman you have no power to send me to hell, only God does; Nor do I have any power to send you to heaven or hell, that's between you and God, wherever you end up is and will be by your own choice. I can only ask God to show you the mercy that we all need.

Viversus- what the heck was that all about?

from capnamerica: "But the problem with religious nuts is that they always think they have the 'right' way and mentality and that everyone else is wrong."

And the difference between them and every athiest on here is... what?

so many non-religious people think it's ok to have a religion to help them become better people is fine, but if they ACTUALLY believe it then they are a "nut"
 Metal_Mike667
Msg: 161
Religion and Dating
Posted: 11/12/2011 10:01:42 AM
Im not being hostile torward anything, Religion isnt a bother to me but ask yourself who wants to date someone that preaches religion 24/7 and who takes it way too seriously and who wants to hear "you do this you do that youll that youll go to hell" blow it out your ass
 virVerus
Msg: 162
Religion and Dating
Posted: 11/12/2011 10:23:53 AM

Viversus- what the heck was that all about?

Read what I wrote and check the links and find out. There's more to this issue than just monotheistic Christianity and atheists. In my view, the change from polytheism to monotheism to atheism isn't exactly an improvement. Our ancestors didn't exactly convert to Christianity of their own free will. First, the form of Christianity known as Roman Catholicism, from which ALL forms of modern-day Western Christianity derive, was made the official religion of the Roman Empire in the between 300 and 400 C.E. At the Council of Nicaea they (the Roman Catholic Church patriarchs) decided which books would go into the Bible (especially the New Testament) and which wouldn't.

In my view, every Christian should educate themselves on the history of their religion, and consider more than just the Christian version where our ancestors were introduced to Christianity and gave up their ancestral gods and accepted it as "the Truth" by their own free will. It simply didn't happen that way. Sure, the ancient Romans persecuted the earliest Christians. Why did they do that? They usually accepted and even worshiped non-Roman deities. Roman religion, as with other Indo-European religions, was symbolic. Just pretend to worship the gods at their temples (and not be considered an "atheist" by the authorities) as well as the emperor, then go do your own thing. That's how religion in ancient Rome worked. This is the world in which Christianity was born and came to power.

Again, the basic premise of Christianity relies on the death of Jesus Christ (Yeshua ha-Mesiach) for the atonement of sins. If Yahweh is the ultimate god and is above all cosmic law, then why would a human sacrifice, much less animal sacrifice, even be necessary for the atonement of sins? Did Jesus Christ ever even exist? A lot of the miracles attributed to him had also been attributed to Siddharta Gautama, the Buddha of this age. Although India wasn't a part of the Roman Empire, there were Indians living within its borders as well as Buddhist missionaries, sometimes in Rome itself! The dying and resurrected savior god was common in various Mediterranean belief systems. If Jesus Christ existed and was nailed to a cross, then 6 hours wouldn't have been enough time for him to die from lack of oxygen. His 2 criminal cross neighbors were still alive when they were temporarily taken down. There are even stories of Jesus going to India, where he was known as Issa, both in his youth and after the crucifixion. If Jesus Christ didn't die on the cross or even exist in the first place, then the basic premise of Christianity falls flat on its face. And "hell" was a New Testament "borrowing" from Greek myths. In the Old Testament, only "sheol" (the grave) was indicated as the eventual destination of everybody. In Greek mythology, Hades was both a god and a destination for the dead. In Norse mythology, Hel was both a goddess and the destination for those who died of sickness and old age; those slain in battle got to go to Valhalla. A good death in battle or war was highly esteemed by our Indo-European ancestors, just as it is today with our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. And according to the Koran those who fight and die in the cause of Allah get to go to Paradise straight away. According to that holy book, one has to be a Muslim in order to get to go to heaven and avoid hell. This would have been (and was!) a strange idea to our polytheistic ancestors whose belief systems were tribal and not universal. And atheists may have a point. There were those, even in ancient times, who considered religion to be a way for the elite to control the masses. After all, emperor and polytheistic worship was mandatory just as following Christianity was up until recently centuries and decades.
 Arteest1650
Msg: 163
Religion and Dating
Posted: 11/12/2011 10:34:18 PM
The biggest issue I see in this thread is all of you are Identified by a label, you have adhered to a certain side, or belief system which has by nature set you all up for conflict. You're a human being, you're not a liberal, nor a religious fanatic, nor a Pagan. As soon as you asign yourself to such labels defense and conflict soon follow . Without labeling this thread would be 2 replies long and die. But you're all just as guilty as the next when pointing a finger. You cant live as a label and be open minded, thats a conflict in itself. Drop the labels and take on real acceptance.. You arent what sign you carry.. you are the manner in which you live your life...
 Rain587
Msg: 164
Religion and Dating
Posted: 11/12/2011 11:01:39 PM
Arteest1650

I respect other's beliefs and expect them to respect mine. I have friends that are Athiest, Wiccan, Buddist, and every religious label you can name and we get along. It's respect, love, and being a good person.

Me? I do not call myself a label but I do believe in God. It's my belief and would never push it on others. For those that say they believe but preach and point fingers: maybe you should re-read Matthew 6:1

Oh crap, now I pointed a finger......
 JCinVicBC
Msg: 165
view profile
History
Religion and Dating
Posted: 11/13/2011 4:27:55 AM

I'm agnostic/atheist, and I like dating Christian women. If they can believe the earth is only six thousands years old....it shouldn't be too much of a stretch believing I'm thirty five.

Heh...good point. 18 and buff here.

I'm ok with dating someone of any religion, as long as she believes in premarital sex and sex for pleasure, gay marriage, gay and transgender rights, and raising our kids without religion and letting them choose for themselves as adults. And as long as she understands she's not likely to ever find me in a church unless it's to photograph the architecture.
 palmer f
Msg: 166
view profile
History
Religion and Dating
Posted: 11/13/2011 5:53:19 AM

I was hesitant to open this thread because Iknew it would be just a Christian bashing fest by supposedly open minded people, and you folks didn't disappoint. If it were any other group(except maybe jewish) where such negativity and criticism was being put forward the whole thread would be pulled for being offensive.

A thread about let's say, The Muslim religion wouldn't only be pulled for being offensive, but also because the owner would would be receiving death threats. He would be issuing a public apology in the hopes that it would quell the Islamist that would've been angered.

The reason that most people don't call out the Islamic religion publicly probably has little to do with respect, but more with fear. A lot of people on here are mentioning the zealots in the Christian religion, but there are few, if any, who have called out those same type of people in the Islamic faith. Funny how the fear of being beheaded or blown up will silence your religion's critics.
 MikeWM
Msg: 167
view profile
History
Religion and Dating
Posted: 11/13/2011 5:55:15 AM
Religion and dating is quite an infectious mix

Whenever someone I am starting to know finally gets around to mentioning their love of the one and only true god and how much they strive to be closer to him the first thought I have is

"God help me"

Capn_America
Msg: 168
Religion and Dating
Posted: 11/14/2011 6:40:47 AM

Religion and dating is quite an infectious mix

Whenever someone I am starting to know finally gets around to mentioning their love of the one and only true god and how much they strive to be closer to him the first thought I have is

"God help me"

LOL And the irony never escapes you. ;-)

I gots nothing against religion either, I'm a pseudo devout christian (go to church once a year, give to charity not to feel guilty, tell other people to go to hell) but there's nothing more scary than sitting down with a girl for coffee and her talking one hour without pause about the glories of His kingdom on earth....
 virVerus
Msg: 169
Religion and Dating
Posted: 11/14/2011 8:22:34 AM

LOL And the irony never escapes you. ;-)

I gots nothing against religion either, I'm a pseudo devout christian (go to church once a year, give to charity not to feel guilty, tell other people to go to hell) but there's nothing more scary than sitting down with a girl for coffee and her talking one hour without pause about the glories of His kingdom on earth....

"So Jesus paid for your sins. Is he paying for this date?"
 Capn_America
Msg: 170
Religion and Dating
Posted: 11/14/2011 9:13:40 AM

"So Jesus paid for your sins. Is he paying for this date?"

God, what a GUY he would be, eh? Havent seen him in a while, tho, he's probably on his cloud with the Virgin Mary drinking bloody...Maries ;-)
I know he paid for my sins, but...is it normal my taxes still pays for his churches?
 reggievalentine
Msg: 171
Religion and Dating
Posted: 11/14/2011 9:31:25 AM
I tried to find a man for my ladies cousin, she's fine in good shape, has money, nice job....she's all a man could want (her breasts aren't that big though)......great looking chick..... only thing.....

She's a religious nut...same thing....I mean she goes to two services on Sunday, Wednesday etc......

I told all my boys about her, some said they would play along, long enough to get the booty, but I know she don't want that.......

Church and men don't mix.....I as a man have gone to churches specifically to get some ass....but I don't want to get into the discussions with a woman about God just to get the ass.....sad thing is I know my religions and it disgusts me to see these religious women who really don't even know what the hell they are talking about....
 new2this826
Msg: 172
Religion and Dating
Posted: 11/14/2011 9:32:08 AM
Hmmm, seems to me that if they were a religious nut and a christian to boot that they would follow what it says in that book about being with someone that is unevenly yoked. It says not to do it.
 _shakti_
Msg: 173
Religion and Dating
Posted: 11/14/2011 9:37:56 AM
Reggie:
I as a man have gone to churches specifically to get some ass....but I don't want to get into the discussions with a woman about God just to get the ass
You'll take the ass, but heaven forbid she would want to talk about something that's important to her..
 Fleuron
Msg: 174
Religion and Dating
Posted: 11/14/2011 9:49:35 AM

I told all my boys about her, some said they would play along, long enough to get the booty

Yeah. That whole post is extremely distasteful.
 reggievalentine
Msg: 175
Religion and Dating
Posted: 11/14/2011 10:38:36 AM
This old man told me once if you don't get lucky at the club on Saturday go to church on Sunday and the ladies who left by themselves at the club the night before will be there on Sunday preying for a man......

The christian church is for women, families and recovering addicts.....single men with half a brain won't waist their time with that silliness...unless there is something to gain (i.e. a woman)......Game recognize Game is the term.... we understand the preachers hustle.....

I'm all for talking to a woman about her wants and needs but they can go to hell with that church BS....
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Religion and Dating