Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > DATING OVER 60      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Cynderella
Msg: 126
view profile
History
DATING OVER 60Page 6 of 15    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15)

I've yet to see men screaming hysterically at a concert the way girls did for the Beatles and I've yet to see a bunch of women swarm one guy at a bar the way men do on a regular basis.

Which is more pathetic ?

Love a good scream concert or in my pillow.

Swarming?
Can't say Ive witnessed much of that.
I've been a Bartender for many moons,
I see two or three swoop in but a swarm....no.

Only swarming I've seen is when a stripper
is signing her posters.
 aintnodeal
Msg: 127
view profile
History
DATING OVER 60
Posted: 11/15/2017 1:32:29 PM
...wow...I will absolutely have to try all of these bad behaviors. Dating Over 60 sounds a lot like Dating Under 18.
People are people. No matter where you draw the line, build the fence, or post the guards, people will try to get around it.
Some people LOVE a competitive environment. Others HATE it and want attention doled out in equal measure to everyone.

If you want one-on-one time, you need to date one-on-one. You go to a free-for-all, and you're going to get an attention brawl.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 128
view profile
History
DATING OVER 60
Posted: 11/17/2017 3:49:31 PM
I had a guy corner me at a house party thru meet up. The owner of the group happened to be at that party and said to the guy, it's a party, go mingle. That was his way of telling telling the guy to back off.

There were two meetup events I went to where when I was walking to my car, and at each of the events, one of the guys ran behind me to follow me to my car and tried to kiss me! One was aggressive with me. The owner of the group wants to know about these things, but I'm no rat. I told both of them to back off and they did, so no big deal. The group owner has sent out a email to everyone saying he won't tolerate men getting aggressive with the women. Some women evidently complained about one of the guys. I had to shove the guy that got aggressive with me, but he was harmless, I think☺
 ohenryx
Msg: 129
view profile
History
DATING OVER 60
Posted: 11/17/2017 10:33:28 PM

NewYorker58
There were two meetup events I went to where when I was walking to my car, and at each of the events, one of the guys ran behind me to follow me to my car and tried to kiss me! One was aggressive with me. The owner of the group wants to know about these things, but I'm no rat. I told both of them to back off and they did, so no big deal. The group owner has sent out a email to everyone saying he won't tolerate men getting aggressive with the women. Some women evidently complained about one of the guys. I had to shove the guy that got aggressive with me, but he was harmless, I think☺

The term usually used is “coordinator”, not owner. Although they do in fact own the group, so not really a misstatement.

Being a gentleman (or at least pretending to be), I often offer to walk women to their car at Meetup events. And most women do appreciate that, for very understandable reasons. Houston is a big city, with a lot of crime, and I am taller / bigger / meaner than 99% of the criminals out there. And they know me, and know that I am not going to assault them. One (probably more than one) of my OLD profiles mentions that women feel safe around me, so I’m working with what I’ve got.

One of my favorite stories about Meetup is the first time that I walked a woman to her car, and she asked me to be sure to go back into the Meetup, mingle, and be seen. Being slow, it took me all of 3 or 4 seconds to realize that she wanted everyone to know that we had not gone home together. Meetup events tend to be like that.

Don’t get me wrong, I like Meetup, it is a great venue to socialize, make friends, have a chance to get out of the house. But it is NOT a good way to get lucky.
 gtomustang
Msg: 130
DATING OVER 60
Posted: 11/18/2017 6:09:47 AM
"Houston is a big city, with a lot of crime, and I am taller / bigger / meaner than 99% of the criminals out there. And they know me, and know that I am not going to assault them."

>>>Paging Renaissance Man :) Just kidding, I think you meant the women know you, and know you won't 'salt them.

"meetup is NOT a good way to get lucky"

>>>now you tell us :)

seriously, in any group, there's gonna be a jerk. There's a book, "The no a-hole rule", b/c in workplaces there's going to be a jerk. in every social group, there seems to be roles for certain individuals to play.
 ThePigOfYourDreams
Msg: 131
DATING OVER 60
Posted: 11/18/2017 7:38:16 AM
I don't quite get this Meetup thing. If hitting on women is frowned upon (just what the world needs, another group wanting men to stop acting like men) and mere making friends is the objective, why is Meetup necessary? Can't you just go out anywhere on your own and make new friends without someone playing the role of "coordinator"?
 Walts
Msg: 132
DATING OVER 60
Posted: 11/18/2017 8:21:04 AM
No, you can't just go out "anywhere" and make new friends.
I've been to many places where meeting anyone is basically impossible. That's one of the reasons I make return visits.......
 from site to sight
Msg: 133
DATING OVER 60
Posted: 11/18/2017 3:27:56 PM
"No, you can't just go out "anywhere" and make new friends."

If it was as easy as just going out to places, I would have a million new friends by now. I wonder why that's not happening.
But on the flip side, staying home is working that well either when it comes to making new friends. I'm talking about real friends-not internet friends you'll never meet in real life.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 134
view profile
History
DATING OVER 60
Posted: 11/18/2017 4:02:25 PM
Pig, they're groups to get social with. I'm a transplant, had no friends while divorcing. It gave me places to go to in order to get out. I went to a lot of house parties with 70 or more people. The woman who threw most of the House Parties has a pool which is kind of unheard of here and she has a Jacuzzi. She has a big yard and would have themed parties like in the summer she would have a luau and bringing pulled pork and sides and everyone else would bring some kind of side dish. They would be hula dancing and games and just hanging out. People would be inside her house and outside her house. Inside she had central air; people would culminate in her kitchen or living room to have drinks and eat food.

I did hiking with another group, camping with another to see Perseid meteor showers. Went to play bunco, watch football in houses or a bar, do game night. Around the holidays, there are holiday dinners for transplants and anyone else that's alone for the holidays. There are groups for everything. You can hit on women, you just can't harass them. I don't call it harassment if a guy wants to get friendly. That's just ridiculous. In one group they had dating kind of events that seemed like a scam to me. A woman organized it, like its more of a money making job for her. Meet up isn't meant for someone to post their businesses as an event.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 135
view profile
History
DATING OVER 60
Posted: 11/18/2017 4:25:05 PM
Henry, we call them group "owners". I have seen people meet and get married from being in these groups and others that have formed LTRs. You know women love to talk about the men if there's something to say. If any of the woman inquire about you, someone is going to say that you are a gentleman and walk women to their cars. It's not a bad way to be known.

Pig, by you, there's a group called central Florida troublemakers, for 20 and 30 years old, single boomers, Florida newbies, etc. Some women don't want to go to clubs or concerts by themselves. There are weekend getaways to wine country by me, movies, bowling, happy hour. I belong to one group for gun owners. You also learned about different kinds of pepper spray, got to use them, do different gun scenarios. Here's a music one: https://www.meetup.com/LIVEMusicSW-CENTRALFL/

Meetips near you, but you can also user the search field. https://www.meetup.com/cities/us/fl/orlando/
 ThePigOfYourDreams
Msg: 136
DATING OVER 60
Posted: 11/19/2017 5:58:52 AM

Pig, by you, there's a group called central Florida troublemakers, for 20 and 30 years old, single boomers, Florida newbies, etc. Some women don't want to go to clubs or concerts by themselves. There are weekend getaways to wine country by me, movies, bowling, happy hour. I belong to one group for gun owners. You also learned about different kinds of pepper spray, got to use them, do different gun scenarios. Here's a music one: https://www.meetup.com/LIVEMusicSW-CENTRALFL/

This is the last thing in the world I would ever need or want. I have been very well connected to the local music scene since my teens. If anything, I want and need periodic breaks from these f*cks and often take them.

You can hit on women, you just can't harass them. I don't call it harassment if a guy wants to get friendly. That's just ridiculous.

Yes, but I would venture to say "harassment" might be defined by the "owner". F*ck that.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 137
view profile
History
DATING OVER 60
Posted: 11/19/2017 12:03:48 PM
I don't really see you as the meetup type of person, but the groups have been good for many.

The group owner determines everything about their group. Its not an easy job wrangling over 4,000+ people, though usually the same people attend events. Sometimes it involves collecting money, and that's usually a big hassle. One such event I attended was a Christmas party on a rented ferry.

The owner of that group is a man, a real man, not one of the passive WA types. I don't think he would put up with women whining about simply being hit on. Women need to just say no if they're not interested, like with all of these men being called out in Hollywood. A lot of these women just needed to say no, LOL If someone hits on them and their choice is to go ahead with whatever, then that's on them. I do understand that there is the threat of being black balled or losing a job, but then if you participate, you're just prostituting yourself out for a job. Hollywood is filled with a bunch of liberals that deserve each other.
 gtomustang
Msg: 138
DATING OVER 60
Posted: 11/19/2017 1:29:11 PM
"can't you go anywhere and make new friends?"

>>>well, up here in the cold part of the map (tho lately we've been going back and forth from freezing to 40), half the year gets spent indoors. So that precludes outside sports and events for half the year. For example, I do a ton of car shows during the 4 months of summer, meet people...and then don't talk to them in the winter except for one indoor show. I don't play sports b/c i'm incompetent in that field. My hobbies are individualistic, and so that leaves, I guess....church groups and social stuff like meetup. Now, if I had a hobby that got me out amongst people...well, there's still a chance, like Pig feels about his musician friends, that there's only so much of those people that can be stood. I mean, just going out doesn't mean one will find good people...or singles (I say singles b/c I know one married couple, I knew the husband first but now he's too busy bringing home the bacon, and the wife has no friends left in the area so she likes to hang out but...well, that's weird in the eyes of many, and I get it.)

it will increase the odds, of course. but I guess meetup is for those of us not playing adult sports, singing in church, working customer service, etc. Its an outlet IF its in an area that offers a lot of group options, so that nearly everyone can find their niche.
 ThePigOfYourDreams
Msg: 139
DATING OVER 60
Posted: 11/19/2017 3:45:59 PM

I don't really see you as the meetup type of person

Definitely not. I meet new people almost any time I go out. Whether that leads to friendships is another matter altogether. I think I'm done with the concept of close friends, anyway. Last year, I wrote off every "friend" I had, including my best one I had known since age 9.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 140
view profile
History
DATING OVER 60
Posted: 11/19/2017 4:47:25 PM
Mustang, people that want to meet others have to put themselves out there or stay in POF dating hell. At least for the men. Women are everywhere when you go out, it's amazing☺☺☺☺ While I was out grocery shopping yesterday, a guy was trying to chat me up. Strangely enough, he looks like an @sshole that wrote to me thru POF. I can't recall his profile, but remember it was horrendous. I recall something negative about women in it. In the store, he starts telling me about his health issues. Another guy came by and got into out conversation, then he left.

Pig, the nice thing about these groups is that you get to know people and you look forward to seeing them at events, but then you go home to your own place and it's over, unless you want to seek them out for doing things outside the groups, and people do get together that way too. I have to ask, what did your childhood friend do to get the axe?
 from site to sight
Msg: 141
DATING OVER 60
Posted: 11/19/2017 5:03:30 PM

Its an outlet IF its in an area that offers a lot of group options, so that nearly everyone can find their niche

I went to various organized social events over the years like a hiking group, joined a darts league, and a few others. The problem I found with some of them is it became too high school-ish. Groups of friends would join, and they would be a clique, and wouldn't really welcome people to invade their space. They were friendly enough to talk to, but they were happy just being in their own bubble in their own little world with the "chosen" few that they were friends with already.
 ThePigOfYourDreams
Msg: 142
DATING OVER 60
Posted: 11/19/2017 7:05:59 PM

I have to ask, what did your childhood friend do to get the axe?

I was getting ready to add a piece of music gear to my Reverb.com shop, and he was present as I was getting ready to post it. It was new, still in the box, and worth $200.00. He asked me not to post it because he was interested in it. He thought because we were friends of 30+ years, I should sell it to him for $20.00-$30.00. No f*cking way. I told him no.

After that, he didn't contact me for months, then I found out from someone else he trashed me behind my back for not accepting his lowball offer. There were other issues, too, but this was the biggest.
 gtomustang
Msg: 143
DATING OVER 60
Posted: 11/20/2017 5:51:01 AM
"Mustang, people that want to meet others have to put themselves out there"

>>>ain't it the truth...people used to stay inside their little bubble by avoiding eye contact in public, now they just place their nose in their cellphone. Yesterday in a cashier line, a tall fellow with Marty Feldman eyes began a convo over the shopping carts about potato chips and when he ran out of topic, switched to cartoons that have become movies. Lucky I guess i'm enough of a nerd to keep the debate going until I paid for my stuff, to avoid that attempt to connect to a human from hitting the floor.

"women are everywhere when you go out, its amazing"

>>>they are, but they'd rather hear from hot fellows (or grab their long hair from behind, so i'm told). can't blame 'em for the former :)

"the problem I found with some social groups, is they become to high school cliqueish"

>>>S2S, you reminded me of the old saying, "Great people talk about ideas. Average people talk about things. Small people talk about other people. " Pig, your story reminds me of the diff between people who are frugal, and people who are cheap. Frugal wants things at a wholesale price, cheap wants it for near-free. Guess he didn't really need it, if he's going to pay so little for it. then he trashed you for it? no wonder there were other issues, petty people like that tend to disrespect us in a variety of ways. I used to know a "nickels and dimes" dude, I got my GTO from him, and there were a variety of tricks he pulled.
 ThePigOfYourDreams
Msg: 144
DATING OVER 60
Posted: 11/20/2017 10:01:06 AM
The real kicker is, this is a man with a ton of money saved up. His house and car are paid off, as well. The other things he said were complete fabrications he must have concocted out of anger. Even the person he told them to knew he was lying.

I've been patiently waiting for a face to face confrontation with him.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 145
view profile
History
DATING OVER 60
Posted: 11/20/2017 10:24:49 AM

this is a man with a ton of money saved up. His house and car are paid off, as well. The other things he said were complete fabrications he must have concocted out of anger.

I think his real issue isn't the whole "sell this to me for $20-$30 when you can get $200 for it". What were the other issues leading up to this? I think that's the real key. It's when ya got issues with someone & the situation between ya, that's when you tend to get pissed about nothing and not seeing how much of a fool you're being (Really? You expect him to sell you something he's going to get ~$200 for, for $25?).

Much the same when I've seen a gal get Pissed about her BF, because he didn't do X for her, when, it would have been clearly unreasonable for him to leave work that day to merely do something for her that wouldn't be much of anything. In the end, that wasn't it -- she was mad about him prior to that and grabbing for straws to warp something understandable = being a jerk.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 146
view profile
History
DATING OVER 60
Posted: 11/20/2017 12:29:02 PM
Mustang, men shouldn't have defeatist attitudes.

Pig, this is why I don't like cheap people. He should have asked can you go lower, but to low ball like that was ridiculous. Try to buy something from him at below cost prices, not happening. That is one reason he shouldn't have held it against you. Him talking sh!t about you, friends will do that, it depends what he said and it sounds like he said more than he should have. Still, a shame to lose that relationship, maybe? Friends, like anyone else, they aren't perfect, but it depends what their imperfections are.
 ThePigOfYourDreams
Msg: 147
DATING OVER 60
Posted: 11/20/2017 12:56:20 PM
He was expecting a big discount because I had sold him things dirt cheap before, but I wasn't budging on this. I even offered to knock $30.00 off the price I was listing it for, and he wanted no part of that, either. I also worked on and set up his guitars for a fee of $10.00 no matter how big the issues were. He literally saved hundreds of dollars over the course of time by not having to go to a music store and pay a luthier.

If I were to speculate, though, I think his real issue is that I don't live the same miserable life he does and having my hair grown out doesn't leave it looking like a Hulk Hogan skullet like his.

I could be wrong, though.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 148
view profile
History
DATING OVER 60
Posted: 11/20/2017 1:22:56 PM
People can have multiple resentments. Is he married?
 MsSkeezix
Msg: 149
DATING OVER 60
Posted: 11/20/2017 1:40:22 PM
Pig wrote in part:
If I were to speculate, though, I think his real issue is that I don't live the same miserable life he does and having my hair grown out doesn't leave it looking like a Hulk Hogan skullet like his.

I could be wrong, though.

You think he's jealous of your hair? and that's why he's acting all crappy to you?

I had no idea guys' minds traveled down that road<<<
Who knew?

;-) hahahaha
 ThePigOfYourDreams
Msg: 150
DATING OVER 60
Posted: 11/20/2017 2:05:21 PM
He's made comments in the past that would lead to believe it plays a small part, but I believe the lives we've lived is likely the bigger issue.

He always thought I needed to do the "married with children" thing to learn about "responsibility". What a load of shit. It's precisely what turned him into the crotchety and joyless buzzard he is today. His kids are grown now and he managed to rebuild rather significantly after getting financially raped through a divorce, but he's still miserable.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > DATING OVER 60