Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Any true gluten intolerants, celiacs, or food intolerant people out t      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 windchymes
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Any true gluten intolerants, celiacs, or food intolerant people out there???Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Hiya Molly & petunias! Yeah, I just learned the hard way that I'm not going to be able to eat wheat products of any kind, ever. I had hospital cafeteria sweet & sour chicken a couple days ago. I was hoping the thin coating on the chicken was cornstarch and not wheat, and my stomach was okay, but I woke up in the middle of the night with my face all puffed up from the allergic reaction to it. And I felt like crap all day. Yuk.

I saw some gluten-free flour in the grocery store, but it was really pricey. I'm hoping one of the discount stores might have gluten-free products at better prices, since it seems that I'm in this for the long haul!

I appreciate all of your stories and advice! :) I'm going to look for those coconut macaroons, yummmmm!
 Molly Maude
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Any true gluten intolerants, celiacs, or food intolerant people out there???
Posted: 4/20/2012 7:03:22 PM
search out rice flour ... easily found in any grocery store ... you'd be amazed at how inexpensive it can be and how useful ... you can use it to make gravy or other thickening chores ... it won't taste "right" at first ... but, eventually, it tastes ok ... I've made a WONDERFUL country-style sausage gravy for guests using sausage, rice flour, whipping cream and water ... sounds HORRID ... but it was great ...

I wasted a lot of money on gluten-free flours of one variety or another ... they take up most of a shelf in the frig ...

what I actually USE are the gluten-free "mixes" usually found in the health or natural section of even the most plain grocery store ... I used a muffin mix today ... I've made so many loaves of bread from mixes, you wouldn't believe ... wheat-free Bisquick is the best !!! rice just doesn't work like flour, though ... so it's a learning process ... (hint: have corn meal nearby to combat stickiness) ...

using gluten-free mixes is enough trouble ... going straight from the "flour" would be more of a challenge than I'd want to attempt ...
 windchymes
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 4/21/2012 7:01:51 PM
Wow, that's some great advice, thank you! I'm very much a newbie at this. I dredged cube steak in cornstarch and it made kind of a decent substitute for chicken-fried steak, but when I tried to make a white gravy by mixing water with cornstarch and adding it to the lovely pan drippings, it was a disaster, lol. I've never seen anything congeal so fast. I will try it with whipping cream next time, that sounds like it might work.

I saw the gluten-free Bisquik, so I will get some of that as well as look for the mixes. A muffin or a biscuit or pancakes would be heavenly! I'm getting so tired of rice cakes.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2012 3:33:33 AM
Windchymes..Try online.
Grocery and health food stores are very pricey imo.

I have had the spelt products in pasta before..it's OK.
I'm just used to no pasta now

Bobs Red Mills may make a few flours you can tolerate.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2012 11:26:12 AM
Wind Chymes ... for ME, there was a lot of practice involved in learning to cook without wheat ...

back when I could use wheat, I was comfortable, knowing how much liquid to add to wheat ... not so with rice ... I add what I think is the right amount of liquid and it hardens into a rocky ball ... I add more liquid and I've got a gluey sticky substance ...

gravies aren't too hard ... mix your rice flour into cold water before adding it to the gravy ...

biscuits are the most difficult for me ... eventually, I've created a process ... I spread out waxed paper, dump on some corn meal ... add nothing but whipping cream to about 1/2 cup of Bisquick ... (when using whipping cream, I don't have to mess with butter and a liquid) ... until I have a gummy sticky lump ... I put this mound of "biscuit dough" onto the corn meal on the waxed paper ... dip my hands into the corn meal and shape the lump into two small biscuit shapes ... rolling the biscuits to completely coat with corn meal ... pretend it's gooey Play Doh!!! then I bake my two biscuits in my small toaster oven/convection oven until done ...

it took me several tries to come up with a product I'm happy with!

that gluten-free Bisquick, tho, makes wonderful pancakes ... just follow the directions!

some mixes are easier to deal with than others ... once you get used to baking with something other than wheat ... it's good! makes me miss the old days when I used wheat, though ... not necessarily due to the taste but due to wheat just being so EASY to use!

good luck ...
 part deux
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2012 6:07:08 PM
I have a problem digesting textured vegetable protein,and soy protein isolate. I can eat tofu and tempeh,but not the processed protein. They are in a lot of prepared foods, soups, meats etc. I just get bloated, and uncomfortable, not violently ill.
 bwena
Msg: 27
Posted: 4/22/2012 7:13:48 PM
I have celiac disease.
Also, just some quick info. Celiac disease and wheat or gluten intolerance are two different things. Celiac disease is where the villi in the small intestine are destroyed by eating gluten. You must have a endoscopic biopsy to confirm this. When the villi are destroyed you cannot break down other types of food and nutrients as well.....like lactose. So, when you become gluten free and the villi grow back over time, you are often able to tolerate lactose again. I'm happy to talk to anyone about the subject. I've done a lot of research. Message me if you have questions.

I have been able to duplicate most recipes to GF with trial and error as well.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2012 10:49:07 PM
Bwena ... if consuming gluten when you have Celiac destroys the villi but they will regrow once you're off gluten ... how is gluten intolerance different from that?

although diagnosed as being gluten intolerant decades ago, I've only actually been TOTALLY off gluten since last August or September when a doctor told me the ramifications of continuing to ignore it ... not pretty ...

you say Celiac and gluten intolerance are two very different things but I've never grasped the difference ... what is it?
 Belle Requin
Msg: 29
Posted: 4/23/2012 3:20:19 PM
Gluten intolerance has different symptoms than killed villi. It's often an igE or igA reaction. My villi are fine, but wheat makes me incredibly depressed, and severely inflamed. Basically, it just means the actual immune reaction from a gluten intolerance (and to be fair, I don't have a gluten intolerance- I handle spelt just fine- but not wheat or rye) is different than the reaction to gluten from celiac disease.
 bwena
Msg: 30
Posted: 4/23/2012 9:03:22 PM
Yes Belle has it correct. Gluten intolerance may give you symptoms but does not kill the villi via a biopsy. Only Celiac Disease destroys the villi. So, while going off gluten may make you feel better, it is not life threatening. Celiac patients are subject to develop malnutrition due to the intestinal damage and are at a higher risk for colon cancer if they are not diagnosed or do not avoid gluten.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Any true gluten intolerants, celiacs, or food intolerant people out there???