Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Does this happen to others?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 seanschevy48
Msg: 26
Does this happen to others?Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
it's because the dude was trying to get it in without wasting a lot of money/time and it didn't work so he is on to the next
 MagikMan59
Msg: 27
Does this happen to others?
Posted: 9/23/2011 5:15:53 PM

READ what you just wrote. It's right there...in black and white.

Believe me, I get it, I just think it's immature. That was my point.
Saying "I'm not interested isn't that hard". I do it when I realize I' m not interested in seeing someone again.
Sorry but I think after 21 years of age, we should be mature enough to speak up.
I hate "hints", just ranting, okay I'm better now. Bye
 complete_moron
Msg: 28
Posted: 9/23/2011 5:24:55 PM

You go out on a date and have a great time. The person seems and even says they're interested in seeing you again. Then nothing... I'm not sure if this is normal but it's happened to me 4 times now.

If I'm interested in the person I'll make contact but I don't do it aggressively. I tend to just assume that they really aren't interested and move on.

I'm just curious and would like to see if this is a normal thing and if others have experienced this, as well as their opinion on this subject.

It really comes down to individual level.

You also have to make the observation, whether or not the person went on date with you were kinda shy or the person who doesn't seem to initiate on his own. If that's the case, then you should also assume that he is waiting for you to at least say "I had a great time with you, I wouldn't mind doing it again sometime".

If he seemed very sure of himself and quite confident, then it's the sad news, that he just isn't interested in you.
Don't let that fool you, that he was probably nice and funny and treated you nicely. That STILL doesn't mean he is sold on you. Just my 2 cents.
 SandeLove
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 9/23/2011 5:48:58 PM
I like your way of thinking. I already have alot of friends to talk with, email, and see on Facebook. I came to a singles dating site with hopes of finding that "Special Someone." That initial meeting in person is very important to me. Both parties can get a sense of the direction they would like the relationship to go. Forward, extend it or end it after you meet.
 smokincigars
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 9/24/2011 3:07:43 AM

If I'm interested in the person I'll make contact but I don't do it aggressively. I tend to just assume that they really aren't interested and move on.

Boonie is right, it helps sometimes if you make it a little bit obvious that you're interested. As he put it so well, we men aren't very good at reading road maps (signals), but we recognize stop signs. (And some of us see stop signs when they aren't really there.) But if a man is genuinely interested in you, even a little, he is going to be very flattered if you follow up with an e-mail or phone call that lets him know you are interested in him. I think this is especially true after a face-to-face meeting or date.

I'm just curious and would like to see if this is a normal thing and if others have experienced this, as well as their opinion on this subject.

I've just recently returned to the world of online dating, and I see the same thing. Sometimes I contact a woman (or she contacts me) and we seem to be getting along very well, then ... nothing. An e-mail goes unanswered after an unusual amount of time, and a follow-up message gets no response. Or she makes an excuse to stop corresponding that just doesn't "feel right", usually just after I suggest we meet In Real Life. And there are always those first or second dates that seem to go swimmingly, but the other person just disappears after that; they don't call or write, and don't respond when you do. I have given up trying to make sense of it; once I realize they have moved on, I do too.

One thing to keep in mind: when online dating results in Real World dating, you finally get to see what the other person is like, at least much more than you can tell from anything less including an initial meet-and-greet. You are going to find people who behave much differently than they has suggested up to that point. Some of them are ... well, not "desperate", but certainly more eager to have that first date with you than they might be if you had met in the Real World. This is probably because we know everyone we see on a dating site is (or claims to be) available and looking for someone too; in some cases we also know (or think we know) from their profiles the sort of relationship they want, and perhaps even how much they want it. A man or woman who expects you to be more outgoing, flirtatious or -- in your case -- more obvious about your interest than you actually are, may decide you didn't have a good time or lost interest. When that happens, they may wonder what went wrong but not bother to ask.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 9/24/2011 4:24:32 AM
For what little it matters, I wasn't actually trying to say you shouldn't have posted, I was trying to suggest how you could increase the number of possible answers and solutions more quickly.

I confess I did get caught up in trying to help police things here myself, and made some less polite comments on some threads that I DID think were ridiculously over done, but I agree that there are a LOT of threads I that I too wanted to have stay around, which were voted off as redundant.

It looks at the moment, as though the powers that be have removed the ability we had to DO that ourselves, so now when a thread is judged to be too redundant, a mod just snips it out. I've had some disappear even as I was typing in a response.

I just wish there WAS a better answer to this sort of thing than we usually come up with.
 SweetLady95
Msg: 32
Posted: 9/24/2011 7:30:29 AM
From reading previous threads, it seems like that scenario happens alot with online dating.
I never contact a guy after a first date, whether I met him online or met him some other place. I guess I'm alittle old fashioned. I feel that if he is interested, he will contact me and if he doesn't contact me, I assume he wasn't interested. I just feel the guy needs to make the first move.
 Possessions
Msg: 33
Posted: 9/24/2011 9:55:05 AM
I believe in the guy making the first move as well but I think we also need to communicate that we're interested. Otherwise he's going to assume you're not interested.
 ilovetodance1234
Msg: 34
Posted: 9/24/2011 10:51:30 AM
It is perplexing when this happens. It seems when it happens from someone who you are not really interested in it is not a big deal but when you are interested in that individual and it happens it is a big deal. After reading all of the "Rules" the right and the wrong way one is Supposed to behave on the first meet, first date and the "right" way one is supposed to end the first meet/date (i.e. the handshake, the hug, the kiss, etc.) I am confused. For the most part if it is a first meet (which in my opinion the woman should either pay half for or at least genuinely offer to pay her portion for), and there is not really the chemistry I would prefer to end it with a handshake or hug but, a first date, (which as I am old school is the guy paying for the date, without the woman feeling the need or being expected to pay), it is perfectly ok to end it with a kiss (if there is chemistry).

That being said I had a first date, hot, hot guy. He made it very clear he felt the chemistry and I made it clear to him that I felt the chemistry. We went to a winery, shared a bottle of wine, shared a few kisses, danced, etc. Wonderful evening. Ended with a very nice good night kiss at my door. He picked me up the next morning for breakfast. Wonderful time spent together. Said good bye, kissed good bye, made further plans, etc. He lives about 90 minutes away. We kept in contact via phone and e-mail. Made future plans. He sent me an e-mail outlining some future plans (concerts, dinner, etc) . I accepted. Never heard from him again....What's up with that? Guess he was full of bs, just looking for one thing, had another interest, was playing more than one woman at a time, or just wasn't really that interested. What ever!

P.S. For the record (in my opinion) being old fashioned or old school is not playing games, it is merely the way we were raised to be a "Lady" and should not feel we are going to be criticized for behaving accordingly.
 billbill81
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 9/24/2011 11:28:03 AM
I reckon a lot of men (and perhaps women too) date many many people in a short space of time then pick who they feel is most suited - like an interview process. It sounds like you are on the shortlist but never get the job. I wouldn't worry too much. Judging from the amount of habitual users on here most people take ages to find anyone (discounting the people who never find anyone and just give up). You could whore it about a bit - give them the come on, kiss them passionately, flirt excessively. Many men, not being into you, may take this as an easy opening to sleep with you, which they may well do, then move on regardless. So don't bother.

The problem with dating websites like this is that they commodify relationships. People end up rejecting others because there are so many other fish in the sea - they always want the absolute best person they could ever have. Does not exist. They are predisposed to reject you therefore. Maybe you need to go old school -join a club, meet people who are interested in the same things you are, Avoid people who are looking for the perfect human product for their lives. That crap will kill you.
 ilovetodance1234
Msg: 36
Posted: 9/24/2011 11:38:08 AM
It is perplexing when this happens. It seems when it happens from someone who you are not really interested in it is not a big deal but when you are interested in that individual and it happens it is a big deal. After reading all of the "Rules" the right and the wrong way one is Supposed to behave on the first meet, first date and the "right" way one is supposed to end the first meet/date (i.e. the handshake, the hug, the kiss, etc.) I am confused. For the most part if it is a first meet (which in my opinion the woman should either pay half for or at least genuinely offer to pay her portion for), and there is not really the chemistry I would prefer to end it with a handshake or hug but, a first date, (which as I am old school is the guy paying for the date, without the woman feeling the need or being expected to pay), it is perfectly ok to end it with a kiss (if there is chemistry).

That being said I had a first date, hot, hot guy. He made it very clear he felt the chemistry and I made it clear to him that I felt the chemistry. We went to a winery, shared a bottle of wine, shared a few kisses, danced, etc. Wonderful evening. Ended with a very nice good night kiss at my door. He picked me up the next morning for breakfast. Wonderful time spent together. Said good bye, kissed good bye, made further plans, etc. He lives about 90 minutes away. We kept in contact via phone and e-mail. Made future plans. He sent me an e-mail outlining some future plans (concerts, dinner, etc) . I accepted. Never heard from him again....What's up with that? Guess he was full of bs, just looking for one thing, had another interest, was playing more than one woman at a time, or just wasn't really that interested. What ever!

P.S. For the record (in my opinion) being old fashioned or old school is not playing games, it is merely the way we were raised to be a "Lady" and should not feel we are going to be criticized for behaving accordingly.
 billbill81
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 9/24/2011 11:45:15 AM
Ilovetodance - yes he did have several women on the go. He may well get back in tocu with you in a short while. He has a number of available women on his phone and he knows they all think he is "hot, hot". When he is ready he may/may not call you and you will jump for him because he is an alpha male and really you have no choice. Subconsciously, this is exactly how you like it. Rather that than some soft needy loser always texting you -surely?
 SweetLady95
Msg: 38
Posted: 9/24/2011 11:50:20 AM
Maffers, allowing a man to pursue you is not playing a game. It is the way that some women were raised and I see nothing wrong with it. Noone is saying that the woman will not show any interest. I just think that the man should show the intial interest. If a man is interested, it's not hard to tell unless he is a shy man. I have realized a long time ago that shy guys are not for me. It just will never work with my personality.
 sans_titre
Msg: 39
Posted: 9/24/2011 12:15:24 PM
I don't know about all these so called dating rules and I am not one to follow the rules anyway. I am very proactive in my approach. If I do a first meet with a guy and I like him and want to see him again then I tell him just that. At the conclusion of the first meet and then through a text soon after the meet so he knows I just wasn't saying it to "be nice" to his face. If a guy views my behavior as desperate or too aggressive so be it. I have yet to get that kind of feedback though. Most guys have told me that they appreciated knowing how I felt so they weren't left guessing.
 HappyDip
Msg: 40
Posted: 9/24/2011 12:32:28 PM

I am sorry but the way people are treated who may be new to the forums is a bit bothersome to me.

Newness doesn't matter.
This isn't a support group. This isn't a job. There is no bell curve where you get "better." Because you aren't compensated in any way that matters.
This is just a bunch of people with opinions without something better to do.

sometimes people have new thoughts and new ideas.

Not really. If you go back in the forums over years you will see no one has really posted, asked, or answered, anything new (social relationshipwise).

It's just a bunch of people that want to vent their mind and believe they and/or their thoughts are special. A means to feel like part of a group without any real relationship work.
Otherwise there would only be about 20 threads (in the relationship sections).

I've been on social sites for years

Maybe you need a more eclectic group of friends you can relate to directly.

I understand subjects get redundant but they're only redundant to people who spend all their time in the forums which I do not do.

By ignoring all of the past threads that have been started you are saying they hold no meaningful information to you, that your situation is unique and special. That basically past forum posters are retards that can't understand your situation or aren't worth your time.
Or that you are too lazy to search or read rules, denoting you have no real respect for others that post, just you wanting to get whatever is on your mind off of it.
Or you have control issues wanting to be the magic OP responding to everyone, having control over your own baby thread.

Or simply, there isn't really anything positive with starting a thread overshadowing that which has been covered in depth and at length by others.
It simply gives people a purpose to come here and feel like they fit in, like they are directly interacting.
 CulturedSistah19
Msg: 41
Posted: 9/24/2011 12:56:43 PM
Sweetlady, to hear some tell it, they would like a woman to come and pick them up, pay for the meal in entirety or her portion at a minimum (and I think going dutch for a first meet is appropriate), bring him a rose, kiss him goodnight and follow up with the proverbial "it was a lovely evening" and future plans, and wear the pants altogether.

When I think of all of my married friends, to a couple, even the couple who has only been married one year, the men were very traditional in the "courting" stages. These women are independent, intelligent, have careers, with some making more than the man, and travel on their own on personal or business matters. Not saying a woman can't pick up the tab, or the tip, and express her interest in many ways, but this notion that a woman should do the pursuing and courting is not one that I have seen work over the long-haul. A man is a man is a man.
 smua
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 9/24/2011 1:14:33 PM

By ignoring all of the past threads that have been started you are saying they hold no meaningful information to you, that your situation is unique and special. That basically past forum posters are retards that can't understand your situation or aren't worth your time.

Reading threads starte 5 years ago by people that are no longer here is creepy. All conversations are repetitive. There is nothing new under the sun. Why have message boards at all if you don't want people talking in real time?

dip you are being an ignorant ass.
 OOhMeeOhhMy
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 9/24/2011 1:58:24 PM
I think a first meet is just that... a meet.... and experience shows that many people are not what they represent in their profiles.... men and women a like... maybe they were just looking for something different than what you were..... and didn't realize until you met...

I would recommend that you put a few full body pics up in case the guys you are meeting's ideas of average is different than yours.... all you pics are the old "myspace" type of pics taken from an angle which tend to be minimizing.... I don't be mean to be mean or to say you aren't average.... I just think that the biggest complaint by men on here tends to be that there are no full body pics and that women misrepresent their body type....
 cin____dy
Msg: 44
Posted: 9/25/2011 12:45:21 AM
It is so difficult meeting from online. Of course the person is nice and wants to be seen as a good catch. But, really would you expect the person to actually tell you face to face they are interested at that moment. No, they don't.
 Sullux
Msg: 45
Posted: 9/25/2011 6:01:21 AM
I think billbill81 has some good insights. I hear a lot of people getting caught up on this whole idea about roles. We have people like ilovetodance1234 and SweetLady95 indicating that they like the "old fashioned" approach and we have Maffers criticizing that approach and pointing out (correctly) that women were expected to be second-class citizens in those "old-fashioned" times, barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen.

I think the conflict lies in the mislabeling of roles. Look, we all have a preferred role when it comes to relationships and sex. Those women who like to be pursued have nothing to apologize for. Your only mistake is to refer to it as "old fashioned". Old fashioned times had lots of problems, including racism and oppression. You have absolutely nothing to apologize for if you prefer to be pursued! You can admit it freely and nobody should think the less of you because, as Lady Gaga says, you were born that way. Please don't call it old fashioned, though. That's all we ask. :-)

That said, if two people meet who both like to be pursued, it will not work. This is what we euphemistically call "chemistry". Along with that insight, read everything that billbill81 wrote because he pretty much has it down. It sounds like ilovetodance1234 needs an alpha male but has a hard time with the ramifications of that need. What can I say? Life sucks sometimes. We all need what we need, and we don't really have a choice in the matter. Some women need to be the alpha. Some men need to be submissive. Some people need a partner of the same sex instead of the opposite sex. They were just born that way.

To our original poster, I think you need to find a way to be happier with yourself. Goodness knows I have had to do a lot of work on my self esteem in my life, and I'm a pretty darned good specimen. All of us can suffer from a low opinion of ourselves, no matter how attractive and talented we may be, and sometimes all you have to do is go out and win yourself a victory. Take up a new sport or a musical instrument and get good at it. Lose 10 pounds (or gain 10 pounds, if that is what you need). Take a cooking class, or a kickboxing class, or something that will make you a more robust person. Do something to make YOU realize that you are a valuable commodity to the person sitting across the table from you.

It will not solve your problem 100%, but it WILL start making you seem like a first choice instead of a second choice the next time you go on a date with someone who is a legitimate candidate and not looking for the quick hook-up. When you accept that you are valuable, other people will accept it too.
 ilovetodance1234
Msg: 46
Posted: 9/27/2011 9:47:44 PM
Wow not surprised, not shocked at the nastiness exuded by billbill81, maffers and sullux. Sorry you don't agree with my opinion but not necessary to make rude, unkind, and just plain mean remarks and innuendos about MY opinion.

Sullux obviously some of the old fashioned beliefs such as racism, woman being treated like second-class citizens, etc. are outdated. Why would you even bring that up in this thread? Obvioulsy we all have the right to continue to believe in whatever way we want to whether they be old fashioned or not without being subjected to such bitterness and nastiness. When it comes to manners I will always consider the "old fashion" way to be the better way. I do not owe you, nor anyone any apologies for my beliefs, Old fashioned or not.

"Please don't call it old fashioned, though. That's all we ask. :-)" Curious are you speaking for POF when you ask this? Personally I don't care for your remarks nor your nastiness, Can I ask that you refrain from being so mean? Why do you feel the need to attack and make rediculous assumptions about someone you don't even know? Just sayin.

"It sounds like ilovetodance1234 needs an alpha male but has a hard time with the ramifications of that need. What can I say? Life sucks sometimes. We all need what we need, and we don't really have a choice in the matter. Some women need to be the alpha. Some men need to be submissive. Some people need a partner of the same sex instead of the opposite sex. They were just born that way."

You don't know me, thus you have no right to make your assumptions as you stated above. Were you born mean? Do you have some sort of degree that gives you the authority to make these judgments about me?

Just wondering how one would know what my subconscious wants?

No subconscious needed as Consciously I know what I want, what I will and will not accept in any type or relationship I am in whether it be of the romantic kind, friendship, family, etc.
 Mr.Messages
Msg: 47
Posted: 9/27/2011 10:08:05 PM

Wha wha What! Talk about the dumbest filtering mechanism yet. Were ya raise to have babies and take care of the house, cook and clean all that? Because that is old fashion too. Or is this the pick and choose the best of what we liked and wonder why its not working. You hide under the guise of being old fashion, I want a guy to chase me, I want him making all the moves/initiating contact.

Yes playing the old fashion is playing a game plain and simple. Last time I checked its 2011 rules have changed a lot since 1950. But heck if your looking to attract some man that is willing to jump through all your hoops ya put in place. Don't come back here ****ing because he is such a whatever. Your filtered it down as such playing this game. The good guys, well we went <<<---- THAT WAY!

vvv Oh great now a guy is ALLOWED to pursue, and thats not a game? Jeezus.. Hiding under the guise of how we were raised, it's just not working. A guy like me would move on NEXT real quick like. I prefer open and honest communication not some act like that another person is some how entitled to you...

Bingo!
 Dave133
Msg: 48
Posted: 9/27/2011 10:27:36 PM
This is quite common. It actually just recently happened to me. Actually the same exact thing that happened to me just happened with you to. Don't really know how to explain it but it sucks taking it that way. Guess just have to deal with it and move on to the next person that comes along and hopefully click with someone.
 Mr.Messages
Msg: 49
Posted: 9/27/2011 10:32:23 PM

1) You went out with a 'hot,hot' guy.

2) You are 'old fashioned' and expect a man especially a 'hot hot' guy to keep wining and dining you like you are entitled to it? You don't even offer to pay? Any self respecting guy with options would start thinking: "What if something happened to me and I'm with her in the future?" This woman expects me to do all the work for her "company" and her so-called old fashioned 'love'?

You seriously expect a guy to think you'd have his back when you can't even simply offer to pay ONCE? And you 'wonder' and it's 'perplexing' to you? Hilarious! Can anyone say: Reads way too many romance novels!

You killed his interest.

I'm sure he was seeing other women.

Yes. You did get played. By yourself.

That guy OBVIOUSLY threw out more 'enticements' for you to accept to prove to himself you were 'old fashioned' indeed. Good luck finding your white knight.
 Sullux
Msg: 50
Posted: 9/28/2011 3:18:53 AM
For ilovetodance1234,

I think I can honestly say that this is the first time in my life anyone has ever characterized me as "mean". I am the kindest, gentlest and most thoughtful human being you will probably ever meet. There were a number of people criticizing you, and I stood up for you. I said, "You have absolutely nothing to apologize for if you prefer to be pursued! You can admit it freely and nobody should think the less of you..." I'm not sure how that can possibly be construed as "mean". Admittedly, people often get upset when I stand up for someone, but usually it's the guys like Maffers who will call me out when I stand up for someone they are picking on, not the person I am standing up for.

I also never said I knew what you wanted. I said that it "sounds like" you want something, but I wrote the "sounds like" part because I would not presume to know what someone wants based on nothing but a few posts. I simply posted what myself AND OTHERS seemed to have observed about you, and I did so because I was trying to show the others like Maffers that they SHOULD NOT JUDGE YOU because of it. Something that you apparently have no problem doing yourself. As to why I brought up outdated modes of thought, it's simple: some people used the words "old fashioned" and some other people jumped on it and brought up the second-class citizen issue. I was asking the two sides to meet in the middle and understand that there was nothing wrong with your preference but that some people took offense to the phrase "old fashioned". Apparently, you do not want to meet in the middle on that one.

Of course, I'm not surprised that you would behave thus. I've been a single father for sixteen years, and have been my daughter's sole caregiver for that whole time. I have sacrificed my entire life to make sure that my daughter is loved and cared for, and I have had nothing but cruelty and neglect from the women in my life. They come along, take advantage of my kindness, good looks and money and then dispose of me when they are through. Some of them have even admitted it. After a two-year relationship I was once told, "I was never going to stay with you. I just wanted the sex and the benefits of a boyfriend who made good money. You have a kid, though, so you were never marriage material for me." The fact that you would lash out at a man who tries to defend you suggests that you have some issues as deep-seated as my own. I have managed to get over my anger with women, but based on your attacking your sole defender, it appears that you have not gotten past your anger with men, even if it was justly earned. That notwithstanding, I think you need to seriously reconsider how you treat people, especially those who go out of their way for you.

To the original poster, please consider what I had to say to you in my original post. As you can tell, I have a bit of experience when it comes to self-esteem issues, and I took great care in giving you my suggestion. If nothing else, there is no shame in talking to a professional counselor! We can all use a boost sometimes.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Does this happen to others?